The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

The sad thing is that this is a common thing in child abuse cases:

Victim 6 is taken into the locker rooms and showers when he is 11 years old. When Victim 6 is dropped off at home, his hair is wet from showering with Sandusky. His mother reports the incident to the university police, who investigate.

Detective Ronald Schreffler testifies that he and State College Police Department Detective Ralph Ralston, with the consent of the mother of Victim 6, eavesdrop on two conversations the mother of Victim 6 has with Sandusky. Sandusky says he has showered with other boys and Victim 6's mother tries to make Sandusky promise never to shower with a boy again but he will not. At the end of the second conversation, after Sandusky is told he cannot see Victim 6 anymore, Schreffler testifies Sandusky says, "I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."

Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, testifies he and Schreffler interviewed Sandusky, and that Sandusky admits showering naked with Victim 6, admits to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admits that it was wrong.

The case is closed after then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar decides there will be no criminal charge.

This could have all been dealt with a long time ago if that had been investigated properly - and there were a few afterwards too. There was a case in the UK recently where a child died eventually and at the inquest they discovered that something like 9 different agencies all had open cases involving the family - but no-one had reported it properly so it wasn't escalated as it should be.

There's no excuses for covering these things up - especially not when they were so clear in what they saw.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by af1 1982

So this is how they fired Paterno:
-They got a courier to deliver a letter to his house
-The letter had a number to call
-He called and was told he was relieved of his duties

The University keeps making themselves look stupid. There would be no Penn State administration without him. They wouldn't have that job without him. And you fire him over the phone? I'm sorry but if you're going to fire him, you tell him to his face. You look him in his eye and you tell him why he's done. He's earned that right. Disgrace.
man i am sick of you sticking up for this dude. he aint your daddy. You or any of the other students at penn state owe him absolutely NOTHING. I went to a prestigious University and ill be damn if i give two *%!** about the damn football coach. I don't care how much he donated for a %+##!$% library. 
laugh.gif

Hes not paying your tuition. Your parents are.  Don't treat this dude like a rock star. 

The University keeps making themselves look stupid. There would be no Penn State administration without him. They wouldn't have that job without him. And you fire him over the phone? I'm sorry but if you're going to fire him, you tell him to his face. You look him in his eye and you tell him why he's done. He's earned that right. Disgrace.
man i am sick of you sticking up for this dude. he aint your daddy. You or any of the other students at penn state owe him absolutely NOTHING. I went to a prestigious University and ill be damn if i give two *%!** about the damn football coach. I don't care how much he donated for a %+##!$% library. 
laugh.gif

Hes not paying your tuition. Your parents are.  Don't treat this dude like a rock star. 

You really don't understand do you? You really have no idea the profound impact he has had, do you? It goes WAY past money. Period. 
Last time I checked I was entitled to my own opinions. I've been very very respective of everybody's here and you just come in out of nowhere. Man get that $*%+ out of here. Have you bothered to read my stances on Paterno? How many times have I said he #!!+@! up and deserved blame?

And I'm treating him like a Rockstar? Did you bother to read my post a page or two ago about teachers and professors? Probably not. I'll do me and you do you. I'm sick of this $*%+. 

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Originally Posted by StillIn729

100% accurate, everyone I know who graduated from the engineering program started around $75,000 and nursing, communications and business are also great programs, I can't expect people who make up facts to be rationale.

Not be a douchebad because Penn State is a good school however I think anybody who graduates with a degree in Engineering from a decent school will start out making that much.
Totally understand where you're coming from. I'm a MechE myself and I know that Engineering is just naturally I high paying field. But I'll be the first to tell you that Penn State offers a high quality education. I've had professors answer emails at 3 oclock in the morning if I didn't understand something. I've had professors who are willing to go above and beyond for students. I know that doesn't sound like much but it means so much to me. And it just saddens me that the general public criticizes Penn State on only caring about football and yet they are the same people who judge Penn State solely on the actions of people involved with football. 
And football is not a big part of my experience here. Even with the great season they are having, I've sold more than half of my season tickets to concentrate on my studies because after all, I'm here to learn. Penn State means so much more to me than football and athletics. The University is great to their students and these 4 years I will truly cherish. I don't want this school to be remembered for it's athletics. I want the world to know how fine these teachers and professors are here. The athletes and coaches get all the praise here but it's the educators who truly change student's lives. 

I'm currently in my first semester of my sophomore year and I've had numerous lifechanging experiences, both good and bad. Maybe its just because I'm in college, idk but a large contribution of it is due to this school. And I am so damn proud to be apart of this university. Not because of it's great athletics but because of the fine academic institution it is. 
NobleKane, let me gravedig to the previous page since you have failed to read. 
I think I have good insight on this thread. Several others think I have good insight. So yeah, I'll keep doing what I'm doing. 

Originally Posted by AG 47

My initial reaction that Paterno has more of a part in this cover up than we know at this time. Could get even more interesting.....

Absolutely. I firmly believe we've just scratched the surface. Joe Pa is not the man who most believe he is. He got that lawyer for a reason. No doubt in my mind.
damn can u imagine if sandusky comes clean and joe paterno is listed as one of buyers? 
sick.gif

Stop with that non sense, story is just a rumor by a former WCW color guy do I can see why you'd believe it

Originally Posted by grusumm18

/from the bay
//how did occOakland get thrown into this?
///it might get drastically diff there as someone was just murdered there about 10 hours ago, although the vic was not dirrectly involved with the movement. oak has a ton of homicides, this just happened to be literally within 100 feet of the campers

////was a chemE major, finished with a polSci degree, now a RN...weird i know...where u get ur degree from matters a little for networking and such, but if you can't apply what you know, u aint !*!#...

can we stick to the matter at hand and not have tangents (ie silly) so this doesnt get locked?
psu is a great institution
what happened there does not reflect on the entire university. how is that so hard to grasp?
Unfortunately, that is a very hard concept for a lot of people to grasp. 
And were not talking about Oakland, I understand sticking to the topic. It was literally a two post thing. 

http://www.myfoxphilly.co...-penn-state-board-111011

This is an article and fact in this scandal that I think needs more attention. Does the victim know something we don't know? Could this be in reference to how one of the victims mothers was instructed by UNIVERSITY police to keep quiet.

This keeps getting uglier and uglier. I think people know this is coming but I think when it's all said and done, it's going to be revealed that a significant amount of people, much more than the 5 who are currently targeted, are involved in this cover up. I mean, how could POLICE do something like that. How? Granted it's police employed by the University and it's something you might expect. But these are POLICE who are contributing to this cover up.

In case yall missed it, this is from the article that gunna posted

During our own investigation, years later, the mother told us that she had been specifically instructed by state police not to speak with reporters.

http://mobile.pennlive.co...fo8HY0&full=true#display

It's going to be interesting to see HOW they kept her quiet....was it a payoff or a threat of violence? I bring up the latter out of pure speculation off of the DA going missing. Not sure if they tie in to each other, but with more details starting to leak....it's TOO coincidental, IMO.

I'll say it again...Joe Paterno knew. A man with his power and reach is not kept in the dark as to what's going down on his campus. Yes....HIS campus.

DoubleJs07 wrote:
In case yall missed it, this is from the article that gunna posted

During our own investigation, years later, the mother told us that she had been specifically instructed by state police not to speak with reporters.

httphttp://mobile.pennlive.com/advpenn/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Srfo8HY0&full=true#display://mobile.pennlive.co...fo8HY0&full=true#display

It's going to be interesting to see HOW they kept her quiet....was it a payoff or a threat of violence? I bring up the latter out of pure speculation off of the DA going missing. Not sure if they tie in to each other, but with more details starting to leak....it's TOO coincidental, IMO.

I'll say it again...Joe Paterno knew. A man with his power and reach is not kept in the dark as to what's going down on his campus. Yes....HIS campus.
I think he knew of something but not details. Those around him kept it away & quiet so he could claim plausible deniability. College coaches live very insulted lives. Total vacum enviroments.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Again, why are you bringing up religion in all of this and trying to hijack the thread?
If you guys can't see the parallels between cultish followings of some of these major college programs and that of the Catholic church, I don't know what to tell you. It's even more apt now that there is a scandal involving the abuse of young boys and the systemic coverup of said abuse. Still not following? The comparison is completely justified. He might have a history of railing against religion but I don't see how his comparison is trolling. 

Exactly.
They'll only see what they want to see though.

Get mad if you want to but I hope this translates into more actions against the Vatican so people can see how heinous this actually is.

Spoiler [+]
359vk4.jpg
2yEns.jpg
359xvu.jpg

But its all fun and games when Jon Stewart has something to say, right?

The Daily Show
Get More: Daily Show Full Episodes,Political Humor & Satire Blog,The Daily Show on Facebook

laugh.gif

You really don't understand do you? You really have no idea the profound impact he has had, do you? It goes WAY past money. Period. 
Last time I checked I was entitled to my own opinions. I've been very very respective of everybody's here and you just come in out of nowhere. Man get that $*%+ out of here. Have you bothered to read my stances on Paterno? How many times have I said he #!!+@! up and deserved blame?

And I'm treating him like a Rockstar? Did you bother to read my post a page or two ago about teachers and professors? Probably not. I'll do me and you do you. I'm sick of this $*%+. 

What the hell man...pull your panties up already...  this is so annoying seeing you post.

NO ONE CARES WHERE YOU GO TO SCHOOL.

Hell, imagine if this happened at UPenn, would you have felt that way? No...you'd have kept it moving business as usual...and you damn sure wouldn't care how the fired him as long as he was gone ASAP.

No one said you weren't entitled to your own opinions, no matter how completely ******ed they are in my OPINION

If his impact goes beyond money, why aren't you offering to scrub his feet when he comes in from work? This is all it sounds like honestly. Grow. Up. 

Stop saying Paterno deserves blame yet you care how he was fired. Its not like he got punched in the face and served a pink slip, or the swat team ran up in his crib and kidnapped him and told him he was let go.

Whats done is done. Hes GONE. Did they want a pizza party with cake to let ya'll know he was leaving? Yall are some goddamn babies up there.

Football is just Football. This is what sports fans have to remember. In the grand scheme of everything NONE OF THIS MATTERS.  

School colors and pride is juat a marketing tool that you've fallen susceptible to. Get your degree and focus on what really matters. 

and YES you started treating him like a rockstar when you wanted to make it seem like teachers and professors look up to this guy... Honestly, I guarantee you, NO ONE who knows more about economics, mathematics, biology, history, or psychology gives a DAMN about what Paterno knows about Football. They may RESPECT him for how long hes been there, but NONE of that matters. 

Talking about "professors and teachers" saw him as an icon...and he means so much to us...and libraries...and football...and school colors...and pride...and..."

Z4GhA.png

119498958977780800stop_sign_right_font_mig_.svg.med.png

yeah freaking right...I'm pretty sure professors who have actually MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO WITH THE WORLD AND SOCIETY AT LARGE really dont care about a football coach. 

You kids are blind as hell up there.  Emotional spoiled-brats up there.

Ya'll need priorities. 

Like i said, seeing you Penn State kids reminds me of how the catholic church has managed to survive. Get mad if you want to. I said my piece. 

Quit playing the Victim-- "woe is me" card and keep it moving. 

Once you get that degree and your first job, Penn State is nothing more than the air in the wind. 

I hope these bastards go from Penn State to the State Pen. 

I feel like a lot of the anger folks have towards paterno needs to be redirected to mcquery. It's one thing not to act on something u were told about but to not act on something u actually saw with your own two eyes? Think about it that's a pretty serious accusation to make without having any Proof. I would have to be 100 percent sure to make that accusation and mcquery was the only one who knew 100 percent for sure that it happened. I'm not saying joe pa is not at blame because eventually something this serious needs to be reported not just swept under the rug. With the info we have so far it seems like paterno is just the fall guy. It could be worse tho since he's already talking to lawyers guess we just gotta wait and see.

^ i don't agree with that. put yourself in his shoes for a minute. mcquery was a grad assistant at the time, so i'm guessing mid 20's. former football player. sandusky was a well respected coach of his.. he played at penn state, a college revered for its football program, so he's not just ratting out some scum bag coach, he's ratting out a respected figure, at the time, the heir apparent to the football throne. players that went there look to these coaches as instrumental people in their life, larger than life. imagine if you see a close male figure to you doing something wrong like this. obviously, in hingsight, you say he should've went to the police. but when you're young, and you're dealing with authority figures, people with so much power, people very close to you, thats not the easiest thing. so he decides the best thing is to notify the most powerful person he knows, the most authoritative person he knows. and i'm sure he was scared as hell telling that to paterno, so he probably tip toed around a bit about what he saw. but imagine being young, and facing the responsibility of ruining one of the "role model" male figures in your life. that %$# ain't easy. i put very little blame on him actually given the circumstances.

But all that respect should go right out the window when u see him butt naked with a child. His age is no excuse man if your gonna say he deserves little blame than paterno deserves even less. Stop making excuses for the weak mentaltity of the one person who could have really nipped this in the butt (no pun intended) along time ago.

Both McQueary and Paterno deserve the same amount of blame....I don't see how you can put one ahead of the other. They both kept secrets.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Both McQueary and Paterno deserve the same amount of blame....I don't see how you can put one ahead of the other. They both kept secrets.

Disagree with you on that. McQueary deserved a little more. He witnessed those acts with his own eyes and could have given police a statement that he saw. Paterno could have also told police, but everything he would have said would have essentially came back to what McQueary told him. A second hand account of what happened pretty much. But they both no doubt deserve blame, but not equal amounts.

Yeah seriously if McQueary was my coach, I would be like... Dang Coach you had a chance to stop a rape of an innocent little child and you walked away? What kind of man are you? Guys like him have no spine and a worthless human being.

But don't get it twisted, it's not just the officials at Penn St. are to be blame. I am sure the whole community knew of it or heard rumors. McQueary probably told his wife. Wife told a friend/neighbor and gossip spreads. I am sure even the police knew and did NOTHING!

Originally Posted by AG 47

Disagree with you on that. McQueary deserved a little more. He witnessed those acts with his own eyes and could have given police a statement that he saw. Paterno could have also told police, but everything he would have said would have essentially came back to what McQueary told him. A second hand account of what happened pretty much. But they both no doubt deserve blame, but not equal amounts.

The way I see it is this...McQueary saw what he saw and could have gone to police....Paterno harbored that bastard (Sandusky) on his staff and on campus after knowing what he was doing w/ kids.  BOTH men could have put a stop to this with a simple phone call.  But they didn't.  I get where you're coming form though....

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/27227735 [pr]
http://gma.yahoo.com/penn...-says-son-082520374.html

Victim 1's mother speaks. This dude was Sandusky was picking her son up from school without her knowledge and taking him home for sleepovers.

And yes I blame McQueary. Have you ever seen him? This isn't some scrawny dude who physically was incapable of doing anything. Son is 6'5 and in his 20s, Sandusky would have been what 58 at the time? I have to believe I beat the dog piss out of Sandusky, call 911 or tell the kid to do so, and take him to the hospital. *^*& being worried about your job, they wouldn't be able to fire you anyways in that scenario legally not to mention the tremendously bad PR they'd get for even trying to fire, a hero basically who did the 100% right thing.

This case makes me angrier by the day. I hope all of these sick $@+%$ lose their jobs and future careers. 

Easy. One witnessed it he other didn't.

Yeah, but one was also the most powerful man in the community and the other wasn't...  They both deserve tremendous amounts of blame in different ways.

Back
Top Bottom