The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/27227735 [pr]
http://gma.yahoo.com/penn...-says-son-082520374.html

Victim 1's mother speaks. This dude was Sandusky was picking her son up from school without her knowledge and taking him home for sleepovers.

And yes I blame McQueary. Have you ever seen him? This isn't some scrawny dude who physically was incapable of doing anything. Son is 6'5 and in his 20s, Sandusky would have been what 58 at the time? I have to believe I beat the dog piss out of Sandusky, call 911 or tell the kid to do so, and take him to the hospital. *^*& being worried about your job, they wouldn't be able to fire you anyways in that scenario legally not to mention the tremendously bad PR they'd get for even trying to fire, a hero basically who did the 100% right thing.

<Exactly dude had the chance to be the hero but really had no spine and now it's paterno who is getting all the blame for not being the hero

Originally Posted by 10027

Yeah, but one was also the most powerful man in the community and the other wasn't...  They both deserve tremendous amounts of blame in different ways.
Exactly. If Joe Pa tells one person outside of PSU, people start listening. This ends a LONG time ago and children are saved.

Some of you are pathetic. God forbid the unfortunate soul who I find out is molesting children...

McQueary did tell jo pa what he saw. in that case im blaming jo pa for not using his powers of being god and getting sandusky arrested at the very least. in what world do you see a ten year old boy getting molested by a grown man and all u do is tell someone about it? he was at fault but at what point do u say eff my job and morals take over in that instance. if McQueary would have made a stand that day im sure he woulda been fired but penn state would have been exposed ages ago and more kids would have been saved from sandusky.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Yeah, but one was also the most powerful man in the community and the other wasn't...  They both deserve tremendous amounts of blame in different ways.
Exactly. If Joe Pa tells one person outside of PSU, people start listening. This ends a LONG time ago and children are saved.
Yup....both are to blame...and like I said, I don't know how you can put one ahead of the other.  Joe Paterno's reach is LONG.  One call....all it took was one call. 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by LB81986

^ i don't agree with that. put yourself in his shoes for a minute. mcquery was a grad assistant at the time, so i'm guessing mid 20's. former football player. sandusky was a well respected coach of his.. he played at penn state, a college revered for its football program, so he's not just ratting out some scum bag coach, he's ratting out a respected figure, at the time, the heir apparent to the football throne. players that went there look to these coaches as instrumental people in their life, larger than life. imagine if you see a close male figure to you doing something wrong like this. obviously, in hingsight, you say he should've went to the police. but when you're young, and you're dealing with authority figures, people with so much power, people very close to you, thats not the easiest thing. so he decides the best thing is to notify the most powerful person he knows, the most authoritative person he knows. and i'm sure he was scared as hell telling that to paterno, so he probably tip toed around a bit about what he saw. but imagine being young, and facing the responsibility of ruining one of the "role model" male figures in your life. that %$# ain't easy. i put very little blame on him actually given the circumstances.
I dont think many people are looking at it from this point of view, especially those outside of the football world and the state college area.  Well done.

Originally Posted by Durden7

^ i don't agree with that. put yourself in his shoes for a minute. mcquery was a grad assistant at the time, so i'm guessing mid 20's. former football player. sandusky was a well respected coach of his.. he played at penn state, a college revered for its football program, so he's not just ratting out some scum bag coach, he's ratting out a respected figure, at the time, the heir apparent to the football throne. players that went there look to these coaches as instrumental people in their life, larger than life. imagine if you see a close male figure to you doing something wrong like this. obviously, in hingsight, you say he should've went to the police. but when you're young, and you're dealing with authority figures, people with so much power, people very close to you, thats not the easiest thing. so he decides the best thing is to notify the most powerful person he knows, the most authoritative person he knows. and i'm sure he was scared as hell telling that to paterno, so he probably tip toed around a bit about what he saw. but imagine being young, and facing the responsibility of ruining one of the "role model" male figures in your life. that %$# ain't easy. i put very little blame on him actually given the circumstances.
I dont think many people are looking at it from this point of view, especially those outside of the football world and the state college area.  Well done.

Thank god few people have that pov. How u guys can sympathize with someone who tucked their tail in between their legs when the victim needed him most is beyond me. Imagine your being raped someone sees it and just runs away.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by AG 47

Both McQueary and Paterno deserve the same amount of blame....I don't see how you can put one ahead of the other. They both kept secrets.

Disagree with you on that. McQueary deserved a little more. He witnessed those acts with his own eyes and could have given police a statement that he saw. Paterno could have also told police, but everything he would have said would have essentially came back to what McQueary told him. A second hand account of what happened pretty much. But they both no doubt deserve blame, but not equal amounts.

The way I see it is this...McQueary saw what he saw and could have gone to police....Paterno harbored that bastard (Sandusky) on his staff and on campus after knowing what he was doing w/ kids.  BOTH men could have put a stop to this with a simple phone call.  But they didn't.  I get where you're coming form though....
Precisely
This whole situation is just
tired.gif

I brought up essentially the same case last night to a group of friends while playing cards.  They looked at me kinda funny at first but then came around a little bit.  I mean, if I put myself in the Grad. Asst. shoes, I almost wonder if he was in major disbelief,shock, whatever you want to call it, and almost froze.  As much as I would like to think I would instantly approach, stop, and beat the crap out of someone who was doing that to someone else, part of me wonders if I could.  Its unfortunate he didn't expose him on his own and take that chance, but at that point, he probably was in major denial, hoping he had a bad dream or something.

What seems to be pretty clear, is that along with McQueary's sighting, there were plenty of other red flags or warning signs that no one from the entire coaching staff or administrative sector followed up or acted upon. They should all be blamed and held accountable.  This Sandusky fella was obviously revered, respected, and put on a pedestal of sorts to the extent he was given carte blanche around and on campus and no one dared question W t F he was up to.  Pathetic, ridiculous, and beyond sad for all those affected.  Bottom line,  many folks jobs, careers, and futures should be affected because none of that will match what these kids have to carry for the rest of their lives.  And to think that for the most part, a majority of it could have been entirely avoided.  Really sad commentary on the power and deception that occurs within sports and organized athletics.
tired.gif

It's like the telephone game you used to play as a kid:

McQueary: anal rape.
Paterno: something of a sexual nature.
Schultz: inappropriately grabbing of the young boy’s genitals.
Curley: inappropriate conduct or horsing around.
Spanier: conduct that made someone uncomfortable.
Raykovitz: a ban on bringing kids to the locker room.

Originally Posted by AG 47

Not sure if this was posted, but here's a comprehensive timeline of Sandusky's Penn State life in chronological order

A chronological look at the case against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, based on a grand jury report in Pennsylvania state court. Some key dates in Penn State football history are included. Sandusky has been charged with 40 criminal counts, accusing him of serial sex abuse of minors:

Jerry Sandusky starts his coaching career at Penn State University as a defensive line coach.

Jerry Sandusky founds The Second Mile. It begins as a group foster home dedicated to helping troubled boys and grows to become a charity dedicated to helping children with absent or dysfunctional families.

January 1983
Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1982 season.

January 1987
Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1986 season.

Boy known as Victim 7 in the report meets Sandusky through The Second Mile program at about the age of 10.

1994-95
Boy known as Victim 6 meets Sandusky at a Second Mile picnic at Spring Creek Park when he is 7 or 8 years old.

1995-96
Boy known as Victim 5, meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is 7 or 8, in second or third grade.

1996-97
Boy known as Victim 4, at the age of 12 or 13, meets Sandusky while he is in his second year participating in The Second Mile program.

1996-98
Victim 5 is taken to the locker rooms and showers at Penn State by Sandusky when he is 8 to 10 years old.

Jan. 1, 1998
Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl.

Victim 6 is taken into the locker rooms and showers when he is 11 years old. When Victim 6 is dropped off at home, his hair is wet from showering with Sandusky. His mother reports the incident to the university police, who investigate.

Detective Ronald Schreffler testifies that he and State College Police Department Detective Ralph Ralston, with the consent of the mother of Victim 6, eavesdrop on two conversations the mother of Victim 6 has with Sandusky. Sandusky says he has showered with other boys and Victim 6's mother tries to make Sandusky promise never to shower with a boy again but he will not. At the end of the second conversation, after Sandusky is told he cannot see Victim 6 anymore, Schreffler testifies Sandusky says, "I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."

Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, testifies he and Schreffler interviewed Sandusky, and that Sandusky admits showering naked with Victim 6, admits to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admits that it was wrong.

The case is closed after then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar decides there will be no criminal charge.

June 1999
Sandusky retires from Penn State but still holds emeritus status.

Dec. 28, 1999
Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1999 Alamo Bowl.

Summer 2000
Boy known as Victim 3 meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is between seventh and eighth grade.

Fall 2000
A janitor named James Calhoun observes Sandusky in the showers of the Lasch Football Building with a young boy, known as Victim 8, pinned up against the wall, performing oral sex on the boy. He tells other janitorial staff immediately. Fellow Office of Physical Plant employee Ronald Petrosky cleans the showers at Lasch and sees Sandusky and the boy, who he describes as being between the ages of 11 and 13.

Calhoun tells other physical plant employees what he saw, including Jay Witherite, his immediate supervisor. Witherite tells him to whom he should report the incident. Calhoun was a temporary employee and never makes a report. Victim 8's identity is unknown.

March 1, 2002
A Penn State graduate assistant enters the locker room at the Lasch Football Building. In the showers, he sees a naked boy, known as Victim 2, whose age he estimates to be 10 years old, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant tells his father immediately.

March 2, 2002
In the morning, the graduate assistant calls coach Joe Paterno and goes to Paterno's home, where he reports what he has seen.

March 3, 2002
Paterno calls Tim Curley, Penn State athletic director to his home the next day and reports a version of what the grad assistant had said.

March 2002
Later in the month the graduate assistant is called to a meeting with Curley and senior vice president for finance and business Gary Schultz. The grad assistant reports what he has seen and Curley and Schultz say they will look into it.

March 27, 2002 (approximate)
The graduate assistant hears from Curley. He is told that Sandusky's locker room keys are taken away and that the incident has been reported to The Second Mile. The graduate assistant is never questioned by university police and no other entity conducts an investigation until the graduate assistant testifies in grand jury in December 2010.

2005-2006
Boy known as Victim 1 says that he meets Sandusky through The Second Mile at age 11 or 12.

Spring 2007
During the 2007 track season, Sandusky begins spending time with Victim 1 weekly, having him stay overnight at his residence in College Township, Pa.

Spring 2008
Termination of contact with Victim 1 occurs when he is a freshman in a Clinton County high school. After the boy's mother calls the school to report sexual assault, Sandusky is barred from the school district attended by Victim 1 from that day forward and the matter is reported to authorities as mandated by law.

Early 2009
An investigation by the Pennsylvania attorney general begins when a Clinton County, Pa., teen boy tells authorities that Sandusky has inappropriately touched him several times over a four-year period.

September 2010
Sandusky retires from day-to-day involvement with The Second Mile, saying he wants to spend more time with family and handle personal matters.

March 2011
Harrisburg (Pa.) Patriot-News reports that grand jury is investigating Sandusky on allegations of indecent assault against a teenage boy. The Patriot-News reports that five people with knowledge of the case said the grand jury has been meeting for 18 months and has called witnesses, including Paterno and Curley. Penn State declines comment.

Nov. 5, 2011
Sandusky is arrested and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts.

Nov. 7, 2011
Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly says Paterno is not a target of the investigation into how the school handled the accusations. But she refuses to say the same for university president Graham Spanier. Curley and Schultz, who have stepped down from their positions, surrender on charges that they failed to alert police to complaints against Sandusky.

Nov. 8, 2011
Possible ninth victim of Sandusky contacts state police as calls for ouster of Paterno and Spanier grow in state and beyond. Penn State abruptly cancels Paterno's regular weekly news conference.

Nov. 9, 2011
Paterno announces in the morning he'll retire at the end of the season, but the university's board of trustees rules later that Paterno and Spanier are out effective immediately. Defensive coordinator Tom Bradley is named interim coach and provost Rodney Erickson is named interim university president.

Calhoun and Witherite.....I haven't heard either of these 2 guys mentioned prior to reading this....They said Calhoun was a "temporary" employee, whatever that means, but why isn't he being mentioned more? and Witherite?

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Yup....both are to blame...and like I said, I don't know how you can put one ahead of the other.  Joe Paterno's reach is LONG.  One call....all it took was one call. 
30t6p3b.gif

lol yall act like people didnt witness old dude getting slurped up my huckleberry finn, according to the timeline MANY people reached out and spoke out to police and everything. Who knows if Joe Pa told anyone he hasnt said anything. Joe Pa was in the wrong heavily but what did you really expect from Joe Pa? Dude mentally fell of a LONG time ago. This scandal is probably bigger than Joe Pa anyways especially if the pimping thing is true.

If the people who are involved with this kept this under wraps for so long imagine how much push they have/had in that community.

Stuart Mandel story here.

In 2000, the late Myles Brand made the controversial decision to oust revered Indiana basketball coach Bob Knight. Brand, then Indiana University's president, drew the scorn of students and alumni but the admiration of his peers, who named him NCAA president two years later.

If college athletics held its proper place in the greater landscape of higher education, there would have been no reason to congratulate or criticize Brand. In other walks of life, it's not considered courageous when the head of a business dismisses one of his subordinates for inappropriate behavior. The Brand-Knight incident was only jarring because for the previous 30 years, the power dynamic between Indiana's president and basketball coach had been reversed.

Nothing about college coaches' skewed importance has changed since then. If anything, it's gotten worse. Head football and basketball coaches now make as much as five times more than they did just a decade ago, and the media coverage surrounding them has amplified accordingly.

But if there were ever a time for fans, media members and college administrators alike to get a collective wake-up call, it's following Joe Paterno's dismissal. No football coach has ever lorded over an entire university the way Paterno did during his 45 years in State College. And no university has suffered a more gruesome football-related episode than the ongoing Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal.

The mess at Penn State has illustrated the danger of putting successful coaches on pedestals. Four wins or 400, coaches are still people, and people aren't perfect. That's why our government employs a system of checks and balances, and why businesses nationwide mimic that distribution of power.

At Penn State, Paterno had all the power. President Graham Spanier and athletic director Tim Curley were technically his bosses, but they held as much sway over him as the guys selling hot dogs at Beaver Stadium on Saturdays. We know this most vividly because in 2004, Spanier and Curley tried to push out the struggling 77-year-old coach, and Paterno told them ... no.

That distorted dynamic is why Sandusky was allowed free rein of the Penn State football complex years after the first account of sexual molestation surfaced. Who was going to stop him if not Paterno?

Many think Mike McQueary should have. According to his grand jury testimony, McQueary, then a 28-year-old graduate assistant, witnessed Sandusky raping a boy estimated to be 10 years old in the locker room showers. How, people ask, could a grown man like McQueary fail to step in and stop this atrocity when he saw it? Why did he not call the authorities?

In McQueary's world, Paterno was The Authority. McQueary, a State College native, former Penn State quarterback and son of a huge Nittany Lions fan, has spent nearly his entire life in a warped world few of us understand. What some view as cowardice probably seemed courageous to McQueary at the time: He went to The Authority's house and relayed bad things about the coach's long-time trusted confidant. He didn't know The Authority would merely pass the information along to his two in-name-only superiors, who then failed to take substantive action.

What's far more puzzling is how McQueary went to work for the next nine years and accepted seeing Sandusky at practice or in the weight room. But the Penn State football complex wasn't a normal workplace; the lone Authority was out to lunch in his last years on the job, but he held such clout that few dared to question his actions. That's not an excuse for McQueary's decisions, but it's reality -- a sick reality in which inaction was the norm.

Paterno and his so-called bosses deserve all the blame we can muster for allowing this atrocity to occur, but the rest of us deserve blame for lionizing coaches like Paterno in the first place. We turn these mortal men into irreproachable icons. We do it with articles portraying them as something more mystical than people who happen to be good at their jobs. We do it by camping out for tickets in tent villages named in their honor. We do it by building statues of them while they're still on the job.

Few actually rise to the realm of idolatry, but any major college football or basketball coach who has sustained success enjoys unprecedented power. The truly revered have presidents and athletic directors who theoretically sit above them but in reality work for them. They enjoy blindly adoring fan bases that would raise arms at the mere suggestion of wrongdoing.

Sports are our escape, so it's not surprising that we treat our favorite figures like movie stars. But as we were reminded so painfully this week, this is real life. And unlike professional coaches, who work for businesses tasked solely with winning athletic contests, college coaches are theoretically part of a greater community, where education is supposed to trump entertainment and leadership is supposed to be more than a Big Ten Network infomercial.

There's nothing wrong with going to a game, painting your face or cheering on your favorite team's coach for hours. There's nothing wrong with me writing an article praising a coach for his inspired gameplan. There's nothing wrong with a school president giving a championship coach a raise.

But there's something inherently wrong with a community in which one person holds an inordinate amount of power. Teachers answer to their principal. CEOs answer to their shareholders. Mike McQueary answered to Joe Paterno.

Paterno didn't answer to anybody. No coach has ever experienced a more painful downfall, in part because no coach had ever been elevated to such heights.

Hopefully, no coach ever will be again.

CNN.com story here.

(CNN)
-- How does a survivor of sexual abuse respond to students rioting at Penn State?
"You're not getting it. You just don't get it," said Dave Lorenz who was abused by a priest as a teen.

"It's just stupid youthfulness."

Earlier this week, legendary head football coach Joe Paterno was removed in the midst of a scandal involving sexual abuse allegations against a former defensive coordinator, Jerry Sandusky.

What started as an apparent celebration of Paterno turned into a riot in the Pennsylvania town of State College. The crowd tipped over a news van and decried the media in anger Wednesday night. They held signs in support of "JoePa" -- a nickname for Paterno.

Some said their frustration stemmed from the media's focus on Paterno, rather than the charges against Sandusky.

Watching footage of Penn State students rioting in the streets Wednesday night, Lorenzo shuddered, then hung his head.

What bothered Lorenz is that students "rallied around (Paterno's) house, cheering him up."

"The kids up there just don't understand what this does," he said.

"Stop thinking of the adult and start thinking of what happens to a child that goes through this. You love the adult, you may not know the kid. Start thinking of the kid and the horror they go through, because it's hell."

Paterno has been under scrutiny because of his response to allegations brought to him in 2002 by a graduate assistant. The assistant allegedly said he witnessed Sandusky, now 67, having sex with a young boy in a shower at the campus football complex, according to a grand jury indictment.

Paterno reported the allegations to his boss and Pennsylvania's attorney general said it appeared Paterno had met his obligations under state law. But critics said the coach should have reported the suspected abuse to police.

Sandusky is accused of sexual offenses, child endangerment and "corruption of a minor" involving eight boys.

Many within the Penn State community condemned the crowd's actions. In the campus newspaper The Daily Collegian, an editorial read: "Wednesday night was an embarrassment for Penn State... The way students reacted set our university two steps back."

Earlier this week, as questions about the coach's action mounted, students began swarming Paterno's home. The gatherings had the tone of a pep rally.

Kayla Garriott, a 22-year-old college student who was sexually abused as a child, said the open support for Paterno was disrespectful to survivors.

"That's the first thing people look at -- that their football team is without their head coach that's been there so many years. Nobody looks at the eight children."

The rioters are "never going to be in those children's shoes. It's not about football. It's about eight children who are never going to get back their lives back. They're going to live with this the rest of their lives. They might not get over that."

This kind of spectacle could even make abused kids more reluctant to go to the police, she said.

The Penn State scandal prompted numerous calls from sexual abuse survivors, said Barbara Dorris, the outreach director at Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests.

"I have talked to people all over the country who have dealt with their abuse," she said. "This is bringing it all back. It's so upsetting. They were crying. They were angry."

The reaction of the crowd could send an unintended message to children and teenagers who've been abused: They may feel blamed for what happened to the football team and the rioting, said Dorris, who was also abused as a child.

It's a "horrible statement that a winning football team is more important than the safety of the children. It mirrors what happened in the (Catholic) church."

Jerry Needel, a Penn State alum who graduated in 1999, watched the news unfold and felt he had to do something.

"This just shook my beliefs and a big part of my identity to the core," he said.

He started a campaign to shift the attention to supporting victims of child abuse, by raising money for RAINN, which stands for Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network.

In addition, some Penn State students are planning to dress in blue for their next football game to support the victims of child abuse worldwide.

Jennifer Marsh, the director of the National Sexual Assault Hotline said the news story is bringing awareness and facilitating a national discussion about abuse, a topic often cloaked in secrecy.

"The biggest takeaway we've seen is just the outpouring of support to victims and survivors."

National Sexual Assault Hotline 1-800-656-4673

Originally Posted by abutta13

Thank god few people have that pov. How u guys can sympathize with someone who tucked their tail in between their legs when the victim needed him most is beyond me. Imagine your being raped someone sees it and just runs away.
NO one is sympathesizing with him.  Theres more than one point of view to think about, thats all. 

You have to view this from McQuearys point of view as well.  Its easy to sit there and view this all from the victims point of view, but you should also think about this situation McQuary was in as well.  I absolutely believe that what McQueary did was wrong; however, I dont think his decision was so easy as some people make it out to be.  Sandusky was his idol.  He was a father figure.  He was a role model.

I can understand why he didnt go in there and beat the *@!% out of Sandusky immediately, but with that being said to not do something about it in the following years is where the cowardness appears.

In the irony of all ironies Joe Posnanski of Sports Illustrated has been living in Happy Valley this year to finish writing a biography about Paterno.

His words:

The End of Paterno

Let me start with this: I am writing a book about Joe Paterno. I am getting paid a sizable amount of money to do so, some of which I plan to donate to the charity of Joe’s choice, some of which I plan to keep. I have been working on this book, on and off, speed bumps and traffic jams, for a couple of years now. I moved away from my family, to State College, for the football season. I had many hard feelings about that. But I believed — as my wife believed — that it was the right thing to do. I came here to write about one of the giants of sports. And my wife and I both felt that the only way to tell the story, for better and worse, was to be around it every day.

The last week has torn me up emotionally. This doesn’t matter, of course. All that matters are the victims of the horrible crimes allegedly committed by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky. I cannot say that enough times. Sometimes, I feel like the last week or so there has been a desperate race among commentators and others to prove that they are MORE against child molesting than anyone else. That makes me sick. We’re all sickened. We’re all heartbroken. We’re all beyond angry, in a place of rage where nothing seems real. The other day, I called it “howling.

Both McQueary and Paterno deserve the same amount of blame....I don't see how you can put one ahead of the other. They both kept secrets.

I read your responses even after this statement but I just can't agree with your point of view on this statement DoubleJ's.  One person saw/witnessed the crime while it was being committed, the other person didn't and only got wind of the story as it was told to him.  Joe Pa could have and should have done more, but McQueary is the dude that truly could have stopped things from getting worse for future victims and the victim at hand in 2002.

Posnanski has lost his objectivity here, clearly.

4. I think the University could not possibly have handled this worse. It was disgusting and disgraceful, the method in which they fired Joe Paterno after 60 years of service, and yes, I do think Paterno was a scapegoat. Of course he was. I’ve already said that he had to be let go. But to let him dangle out there, take up all the headlines, face the bulk of the media pressure, absolutely, that’s the very definition of scapegoat. Three people were indicted and arrested. A fourth, I hear, will be indicted soon. Joe Paterno is not one of the four.

Paterno tried to strong arm the Board into letting him finish the season with his statement before they fired him, and the Board did what they had to do. Before that, they cancelled his press conference, which actually shielded him from "media pressure".

How exactly is he a scapegoat here?
And his overarching point about "the truth" coming out is just bizarre. Regardless of what the truth is, the amount that Paterno has admitted to is enough to justify the demand that he step down immediately. What more does Posnanski want? So if Paterno knew about anal sex then it's not OK, but if it was "only" something of a "sexual nature" as Paterno alluded to, then his actions are justifiable? That's what I take away from this. 

I actually love Posnanski's writing but I think as a journalist he has failed here. He's grown emotionally attached to Paterno, and in a way is doing exactly what the Penn State students did. 

I don't know about anyone else but the part that bothers me the most is just how brazen Sandusky was with his actions. He had to have known that the locker room of a major college has people coming in and out all of the time and as a result, someone would've caught him in the shower. It's almost as if he knew he had so much power and so many friends and high places that he was untouchable.

Originally Posted by aepps20

I don't know about anyone else but the part that bothers me the most is just how brazen Sandusky was with his actions. He had to have known that the locker room of a major college has people coming in and out all of the time and as a result, someone would've caught him in the shower. It's almost as if he knew he had so much power and so many friends and high places that he was untouchable.
Agreed 100 % and this takes us back to, regardless of what people in high places believed, knew, or perceived to be true, they had an obligation if nothing else to their university and those under their watch, to keep this pathetic excuse for a human being AWAY from the University.  Take a stand for what you believe in and know to be true and make sure he doesn't conduct his perversions right there for everyone to potentially witness.  It would appear no one either had the courage or the common sense to get this guy as far away from the program/school/students/kids as possible.  Obviously there is a special place reserved down below for peeps like this.  I truly hope God has mercy on him because he ain't gonna get too much sympathy around here.

F that. Serisously. I'm tired of all these apologist making excusses for all the good that rotten old bastard did. I understand what he's done for not only that school but really the State of Pennsylvania but all of that was erased with his inaction that led to 9 or more children getting sexually assualted. Assaults he characterized in his grand jury as "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature". He also allowed that other monster continued access to the school and satelitte locations to run his charity with full psu support. He knew that monster was going to continue to have access to children & did nothing about it. Pasnanski is a total moron & idiot. If I ever see him in person, I'm gonna personally smack the %@% out of him for even writting such an idiotic peice. I'm absolutely astounded to my core at the people standing by this man. I just can't believe at the sheer & utter stupidity of human beings. There is no hope, absolutely no hope for human kind.

Like that article posted above says, idol worship is such a big problem in sports.  You can't put these people on a pedestal just because they do well in the sports environment.
I think Jon Ritchie is a very intelligent guy but what he said on espn2 sounded ridiculous and I couldn't believe it.  He said if he saw Sandusky do what he did in the locker room he would've acted the same way and probably just ran away from it.  He said he understands how people would be in shock of what they saw was happening and not react properly.  Are you kidding?  You see a young boy getting raped by a man and you would hesitate to act?  I'm sure the victims appreciated everyone turning a blind eye and pretending they didn't hear or see things.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I actually love Posnanski's writing but I think as a journalist he has failed here. He's grown emotionally attached to Paterno, and in a way is doing exactly what the Penn State students did. 
This.

Originally Posted by abutta13

NO one is sympathesizing with him.  Theres more than one point of view to think about, thats all. 

You have to view this from McQuearys point of view as well.  Its easy to sit there and view this all from the victims point of view, but you should also think about this situation McQuary was in as well.  I absolutely believe that what McQueary did was wrong; however, I dont think his decision was so easy as some people make it out to be.  Sandusky was his idol.  He was a father figure.  He was a role model.

I can understand why he didnt go in there and beat the *@!% out of Sandusky immediately, but with that being said to not do something about it in the following years is where the cowardness appears.

I don't care if Sandusky hired mcquery himself. There are some things that are so wrong that as a man ur instinct should be to immediately take action. Especially someone who is 6'5 with a football background.

I bet McQueary was a victim on some level. He grew up in State College and had ties to even some of the players at PSU when he was that young. Pure speculation on my part, but I'm ready to hear his story.

Back
Top Bottom