The RETRO Gaming Thread!

Playstation Classic only comes with the power cord, not the "brick". Everyone has plenty of them already but that's just another corner cut after the bare bones UI, limited features, and open source emulator :lol:.

Dreamcast is still my all time favorite console. I love that thing. Only system I’ve ever had two of.

I talked about this before, but nba2k (for those who dont know, started as a dreamcast exclusive) was mind-blowing to me. To go from nba hangtime/nba courtside to this game was monumental. It was the first time it actually felt like real basketball in a video game.

Teenage me was still on the n64 wave, but when i got my xbox, 2k3 was the 2nd game i purchased (after halo).

For the most part, being able to own NBA 2K caused me to buy

XBOX 360
XBOX 1

Since that is essentially the only game I play now. (New Game)

For the most part, being able to own NBA 2K caused me to buy

XBOX 360
XBOX 1

Since that is essentially the only game I play now. (New Game)

What’s funny is the Xbox is practically the successor to the Dreamcast. I just can’t get down with it though as my main console (Sony is me, but Nintendo for the family games). I’m sure Kanye would love for me to support American Brands.

One day I will purchase an Xbox for Jet Set Radio Future, SVC: Chaos, and DOA3. The emulators aren’t strong for that system don’t really work so I figure I’ll purchase before they start getting ridiculously priced.

I talked about this before, but nba2k (for those who dont know, started as a dreamcast exclusive) was mind-blowing to me. To go from nba hangtime/nba courtside to this game was monumental. It was the first time it actually felt like real basketball in a video game.

The jump from 64/Ps to DC was the last time I was actually blown away by a next-gen console. I still remember them doing the starting lineups and thinking how realistic the players looked.

The jump from 64/Ps to DC was the last time I was actually blown away by a next-gen console. I still remember them doing the starting lineups and thinking how realistic the players looked.

So true. The PS2/XB/GC jump to PS3/XB360 didn’t really phase me. Then the jump to this generation was very meh. I haven’t even upgraded technically because the Switch is still doing the same thing PS3 did at 1080p(I know only a few games are “true” 1080p and not upscaling). Nintendo really ain’t cared about graphically power since the 64.

Yeah, owning a Dreamcast basically forced me into buying 2K.

But then I converted back to PS2 and back to Live, but when 2K dropped on PS3 I never looked back.

Playing dreamcast for the first time was like no other experience though. The entire experience from setting up the console to playing Sonic Adventure for the first time was so different from anything else at the time. The memory card with the screen allowed you to bring mini games from your console games along with you, running plays on NFL 2K from your controlelr so your boys couldn't see what you were about to run.

Dreamcast really was the GOAT as far as the gaming experience goes. Nintendo took big notes when they came back with the Wii and it still carries on now.

I feel like had Sega never gone under, they'd have been the ones to evolve into what Nintendo has today.

Even the graphics from PSX/Saturn gen to DC was a huge jump. Dreamcast was playing Arcade level games at home for cheaper than NEO GEO.

SEGA >

The Dreamcast paid for the sins of the Saturn, sadly.

I loved my Saturn tho :ohwell:

Virtua Fighter
Virtua Cop
Daytona USA
Sonic 3D Blast
Nights
Panzer Dragoon
SFA 1-3
Darkstalkers
Wipeout

I honestly loved my Sega consoles more than any other systems I've had. I didn't really grow up a Nintendo kid. My parents got me the Sega stuff. Maybe because they were never sold out, or because most games were always on sale :lol: but I grew to love those systems/games

Confession: I never really got into sonic like that

I beat the Dreamcast one and turning super saiyan in it was very memorable. But I had a SNES growing up and the times I played sonic it seemed like the reward was more in memorizing stuff so that you can speed through in another playthrough. Those times where you’re just stuck toward the bottom of a level struggling to get around suck. Music and themes for stages are obviously great though. And I do like sonic the character and his supporting cast.

You summed up my exact feelings for sonic. I remember playing one of the old genesis games as a kid and being terrified when I couldn't find an air bubble before sonic drowned. I wish Nintendo could make a sonic game, I bet they could bring him into 3D in a way that he could shine.

As a Genesis/Mega Drive guy I'll admit I wasn't heavy into Sonic either. The games were colourful and had excellent music but level design was a mixed bag that emphasized speed. If you had too much speed you would inadvertently bump into enemies or land on spikes, so some memorization was needed. SNES platform games on the other hand took a different approach which I think was better.

I heard how they were using the PAL version of the games and you can tell on the Frame Rate on Tekken 3. That's bad that you can just watch it and tell it's slower. It's like Street Fighter 2 being on the SNES classic as opposed to Turbo. Were they trying to cut costs?

SONY definitely outsourced this project as evident by the open source emulator. Some things are done right but the user experience leaves a lot to be desired.

Was with my bro at a yard sale like 7 years ago and he lent me 10 bux to cop a Dreamcast and GameCube, I still have both. I just tested out the Dreamcast last night with an extra controller I found at savers (didn’t work but I already have like 4 or 5). If you have an adapter and play it on a VGA monitor it looks soo much better than composite

What’s funny is the Xbox is practically the successor to the Dreamcast. I just can’t get down with it though as my main console (Sony is me, but Nintendo for the family games). I’m sure Kanye would love for me to support American Brands.

One day I will purchase an Xbox for Jet Set Radio Future, SVC: Chaos, and DOA3. The emulators aren’t strong for that system don’t really work so I figure I’ll purchase before they start getting ridiculously priced.

Funny you mention this as Dreamcast actually ran the Microsoft Windows CE operating system. Microsoft in all likelihood took their development experience from the Dreamcast and applied it to the Xbox.

Aw man, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing... Even more DC games I loved

Anyone remember Bleemcast?

The Dreamcast paid for the sins of the Saturn, sadly.

Partly what you said and I think it was also the rampant piracy coupled with the limited amount of third party support. You did not need to modify the console in any way, and simply use a 'boot disc'. The GD Rom discs weren't that much bigger than CD Rom discs so some hackers would strip out or compress content and make a CD 'ISO'. Later 'ISO rips' were actually self booting which sealed the deal for the system. This was at a time when CD writing drives were becoming more affordable and the internet was growing.

PS2 on the other hand required an expensive mod chip that required professional installation plus it ran DVDs - which had expensive recording media at that time. I had a GameCube and I don't think anyone really gave a damn about hacking it. :lol:

Funny you mention this as Dreamcast actually ran the Microsoft Windows CE operating system. Microsoft in all likelihood took their development experience from the Dreamcast and applied it to the Xbox.

Absolutely. You can even tell by the buttons layout, the placement of the Analog Stick, and shape of original controller. I think the Memory Card initially went in the controller as well.

I’m still trying to purchase a Bleemcast disc for Tekken 3. Especially since this PS Classic version is about to be trash.

Absolutely. You can even tell by the buttons layout, the placement of the Analog Stick, and shape of original controller. I think the Memory Card initially went in the controller as well.

SEGA franchises continued on the XBox. Low key wouldn't be surprised if MS ran some weak anti-piracy measures on the Dreamcast so that SEGA's library would continue on their system. :lol:

Just read about Bleemcast. Wild :lol:.

Xbox 360 was notoriously easy to hack so you could play burnt games as well.

I’m still trying to purchase a Bleemcast disc for Tekken 3. Especially since this PS Classic version is about to be trash.

datboi81 datboi81 I would suggest you pick up a used 'Fat' PS2 and a HDMI or component cable (if your TV supports it) for it. You can easily find a copy of the Bleem! disc but the experience won't be that great on Dreamcast.

Back
Top Bottom