The RETRO Gaming Thread!

datboi81 datboi81 I would suggest you pick up a used 'Fat' PS2 and a HDMI or component cable (if your TV supports it) for it. You can easily find a copy of the Bleem! disc but the experience won't be that great on Dreamcast.

I see what your saying. Yeah I just got a 55 inch 4K and the Dreamcast isn’t looking too good on that bad boy lol. I’m going to have to stick to my 32 inch for my future Mancave.

It was 96. Me and two of my boys were at my house. We took the train and then had to walk to the store that sold Fire Pro 6 Man Scramble (Japanese Saturn). Total travel time: About 1.5 Hours (Each Way)

So when we got back to my house and played it, they called it stupid looking. (Wasn't in 3d)

So when we got outside, one dude told everybody, "This man took us all the way out GREENBELT to buy a wrestling game. That game was stupid. And guess what................IT WAS IN CHINESE!"

So they clowned me about that for the rest of the summer. Few folks still bring it up today

This is the reason I bought a Sega Saturn.

Fire Pro Wrestling 6 Man Scramble

@ihustle

It was 96. Me and two of my boys were at my house. We took the train and then had to walk to the store that sold Fire Pro 6 Man Scramble (Japanese Saturn). Total travel time: About 1.5 Hours (Each Way)

So when we got back to my house and played it, they called it stupid looking. (Wasn't in 3d)

So when we got outside, one dude told everybody, "This man took us all the way out GREENBELT to buy a wrestling game. That game was stupid. And guess what................IT WAS IN CHINESE!"

So they clowned me about that for the rest of the summer. Few folks still bring it up today

This is the reason I bought a Sega Saturn.

Fire Pro Wrestling 6 Man Scramble

@ihustle

As a huge wrestling game guy - WWF (Acclaim) games on Genesis/MD and WCW/WWF (AKi) games on N64 I found it somewhat hard to get into the Fire Pro series. I wasn't too far invested into the 3D wrestling genre as my first experience with the Fire Pro series was on the DreamCast - Fire Pro D.

The main problem was the 'Chinese' that your boys mentioned. Just made navigating the menus so damn hard unless you had some type of 'navigation memory' and this was coming from having played Japanese Famicom and Mega Drive games growing outside of N.America (which didn't have much in the way of menus tbh).

That said I am intrigued by the Fire Pro game on the PS4 and I'll grab a copy when it gets down to a reasonable price.

I just used to press buttons until I got what/where I wanted to be and remembered the process

Had me feeling like I understood what I was reading but I was just remembering patterns :lol:

The worst was trying to select dialog options on RPG’s. I had to turn the console off and back in hundreds of times getting through some games.

As a huge wrestling game guy - WWF (Acclaim) games on Genesis/MD and WCW/WWF (AKi) games on N64 I found it somewhat hard to get into the Fire Pro series. I wasn't too far invested into the 3D wrestling genre as my first experience with the Fire Pro series was on the DreamCast - Fire Pro D.

The main problem was the 'Chinese' that your boys mentioned. Just made navigating the menus so damn hard unless you had some type of 'navigation memory' and this was coming from having played Japanese Famicom and Mega Drive games growing outside of N.America (which didn't have much in the way of menus tbh).

That said I am intrigued by the Fire Pro game on the PS4 and I'll grab a copy when it gets down to a reasonable price.

My menu memorization game was on point back in the day. My biggest claim to fame is beating the Tenchi Muyo RPG on Super Famicom in complete Japanese as a kid. I was dedicated back then. It didn’t really take me that long either.

Now a days, I just don’t have that type of time lol I rarely purchase RPGs anymore just because of the time you have to invest. I had to buy Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast though recently. That game is a must have for the collection. Pretty fun too.

My menu memorization game was on point back in the day. My biggest claim to fame is beating the Tenchi Muyo RPG on Super Famicom in complete Japanese as a kid. I was dedicated back then. It didn’t really take me that long either.

Now a days, I just don’t have that type of time lol I rarely purchase RPGs anymore just because of the time you have to invest. I had to buy Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast though recently. That game is a must have for the collection. Pretty fun too.

Purchased a used DC from my boy in '01 for about $150 CAD and he have me at least 100+ CDRs and 2 original games - Phantasy Star Online and Skies of Arcadia.

Decided to play SoA two years ago and the gameplay and storyline holds up really well but the random encounters are ridiculously high and annoying AF. Not sure how far you've progressed but there's an area where you have to navigate through some type of 'storms' that are tugging at your ship and you'll get an 'ish ton of random encounters. Make sure you have the analog stick pointing in the direction you want to go immediately after you exit the combat screen.

Purchased a used DC from my boy in '01 for about $150 CAD and he have me at least 100+ CDRs and 2 original games - Phantasy Star Online and Skies of Arcadia.

Decided to play SoA two years ago and the gameplay and storyline holds up really well but the random encounters are ridiculously high and annoying AF. Not sure how far you've progressed but there's an area where you have to navigate through some type of 'storms' that are tugging at your ship and you'll get an 'ish ton of random encounters. Make sure you have the analog stick pointing in the direction you want to go immediately after you exit the combat screen.

Dude you're not lying! Flying the Airship definitely has the most encounters I've seen since probably Pokemon Blue when you need to get to a Pokemon Center getting through Mt. Moon and Grassy Areas.

I already knew a Verge review will have some backhanded compliments and some try hard dweeb reviewing it in some lame way

“Is Siphon Filter fun to play in 2018? Not exactly”

Like dog, it’s literally the birth of gaming as we know it today. Appreciate the console for what its worth, don’t review it with some elitist POV when hindsight in CLEARLY 20/20, but then go on to compliment it :lol:

Dude is reviewing 25 year old game titles like they just release in 2018

I personally don’t feel that 1997 was an awkward time for games. Tbh I feel like 93-2003 was the golden era of video games

I already knew a Verge review will have some backhanded compliments and some try hard dweeb reviewing it in some lame way

“Is Siphon Filter fun to play in 2018? Not exactly”

Like dog, it’s literally the birth of gaming as we know it today. Appreciate the console for what its worth, don’t review it with some elitist POV when hindsight in CLEARLY 20/20

Dude is reviewing 25 year old game titles like they just release in 2018
I didn't eem read it to be honest. Just posted it here as a talking point.

They also had an article about the frame rate.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...laystation-classic-pal-ntsc-50hz-letterboxing

I didn't eem read it to be honest. Just posted it here as a talking point.

They also had an article about the frame rate.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...laystation-classic-pal-ntsc-50hz-letterboxing

It just feels like the whole article has an underlying comparison of the PSX vs 2018 video games, or like how there aren’t wireless controllers, or a rewind feature, or visual customizations. None of those were a thing in 1995. The one real gripe I and many others have is a lack of first party titles and the most popular games for the most part.

But then again, I’m not a fan of the verge’s writers. I mostly just use them to see the earliest reviews of the newest iPhones

The refresh rate however, is a problem imo

It just feels like the whole article has an underlying comparison of the PSX vs 2018 video games, or like how there aren’t wireless controllers, or a rewind feature, or visual customizations. None of those were a thing in 1995. The one real gripe I and many others have is a lack of first party titles and the most popular games for the most part.

But then again, I’m not a fan of the verge’s writers. I mostly just use them to see the earliest reviews of the newest iPhones

The refresh rate however, is a problem imo
I think that's a fair assessment, I don't always like their article or opinions either. Depends on the writer and the content. I can deal with Nilay and Dieter sometimes, and maybe a few others.

fImlVxV.gif

^^^
If you have a second player around, I think the game's even easier. My bro and I finished it one sitting and we were both kids - not an overly hard or complex game.

Back
Top Bottom