The RETRO Gaming Thread!

1611448323246.jpeg

:rofl: :rofl::rofl:
Dude comes home and hits her with “How was your day?....boo”

vood99 vood99 , got a quick question bro. I have two Xbox 360 consoles and I really only need one. Which version is the best one to keep?

-Matte black “Elite” console with 120GB. It’s styled like the og white one.
Or...
-Matte black “Slim” console with 250GB.

:rofl: :rofl::rofl:
Dude comes home and hits her with “How was your day?....boo”

vood99 vood99 , got a quick question bro. I have two Xbox 360 consoles and I really only need one. Which version is the best one to keep?

-Matte black “Elite” console with 120GB. It’s styled like the og white one.
Or...
-Matte black “Slim” console with 250GB.

TURBO UNO TURBO UNO you want the E model my G. Runs quieter, uses less power and has all the RROD issues sorted out.

That said, of the 2 you have the Slim has the RROD sorted out. If you're a console collector there's enough variance between the two to keep both or if you can only keep one, keep the S model.

Thanks vood99 vood99 , I’ll be keeping the slim model. I have too many consoles and I don’t need extras of the same one. I’m also not a big Xbox fan so it’s not a console I play often. Thanks again for the advice :emoji_thumbsup:

Right on man! SMW is my favorite game ever so I watched that one first and he touches on 3 a decent amount in that one too.

I need to check that one too. SMW was a game I didn’t pay much attention due skipping over to the Genesis when the upgrade came. I’ve grown to like the graphics and characters in my older age and it‘s aged well enough for me to play/research it :emoji_thumbsup:
I can still remember going to my local Toys R Us and playing a few minutes of the display unit. To be honest I think I may have been kinda salty that SMW was the new thing and my NES was outdated :lol:

Kids think PlayStation 5/XSX graphics and power is something. They have no idea what it’s like jumping from 32/64 bit to 128 bit in 1999/2000 era.

They hyped about load times being faster, but they don’t know what it’s like to go from FF9 being 4 discs to FFX being 1. We saw the real future.

Plus we didn’t have to worry about companies caring to sell 10 million copies of AAA titles of the same franchise over and over with little differences in gameplay. AAA wasn’t even a thing back then.

We grew up in a world of innovative gaming, where everyone was trying to create their own lane. I look at Capcom for example: all the fighting games, all the mega man games, breath of fire, viewtiful joe, Ghosts n Goblins, to go along with Resident Evil and Devil May Cry in the 90s and 2000s. Now it’s basically Monster Hunter, SF, DMC, and RE. And don’t get me started on ports. The “let me re-release a game from 1993 to gauge if the people want another one in the series” is one of the stupidest mentalities I’ve ever seen. Don’t get me wrong, I have some ports, but I would rather see them continue the series. Look at the success of Streets of Rage IV. There were ports on the genesis mini, but no single releases that sold crazy, however people LOVE SoR4 and the game has sold very well.

I think that’s why I’m attracted to indie developers so much. They’re keeping the passion that was in our childhoods alive with their simple and fun mechanics. They’re doing so much with so little. Look at Among Us. That’s probably the simplest game made in Flash and it’s phenomenal. I just finished up Luminous Avenger IX and I’ll be going to Inti Creates from now on to get my Mega Man X/Zero fix. Can’t wait for Azure Gunvolt 3.

TLDR; I really miss the passion that went into retro games and appreciate this thread for existing.

Kids think PlayStation 5/XSX graphics and power is something. They have no idea what it’s like jumping from 32/64 bit to 128 bit in 1999/2000 era.

They hyped about load times being faster, but they don’t know what it’s like to go from FF9 being 4 discs to FFX being 1. We saw the real future.

Plus we didn’t have to worry about companies caring to sell 10 million copies of AAA titles of the same franchise over and over with little differences in gameplay. AAA wasn’t even a thing back then.

We grew up in a world of innovative gaming, where everyone was trying to create their own lane. I look at Capcom for example: all the fighting games, all the mega man games, breath of fire, viewtiful joe, Ghosts n Goblins, to go along with Resident Evil and Devil May Cry in the 90s and 2000s. Now it’s basically Monster Hunter, SF, DMC, and RE. And don’t get me started on ports. The “let me re-release a game from 1993 to gauge if the people want another one in the series” is one of the stupidest mentalities I’ve ever seen. Don’t get me wrong, I have some ports, but I would rather see them continue the series. Look at the success of Streets of Rage IV. There were ports on the genesis mini, but no single releases that sold crazy, however people LOVE SoR4 and the game has sold very well.

I think that’s why I’m attracted to indie developers so much. They’re keeping the passion that was in our childhoods alive with their simple and fun mechanics. They’re doing so much with so little. Look at Among Us. That’s probably the simplest game made in Flash and it’s phenomenal. I just finished up Luminous Avenger IX and I’ll be going to Inti Creates from now on to get my Mega Man X/Zero fix. Can’t wait for Azure Gunvolt 3.

TLDR; I really miss the passion that went into retro games and appreciate this thread for existing.

Yeah man. Growing up I went from Genesis/SNES era to N64/PS/DC to PS2/Xbox and those were all felt like huge jumps from their predecessors. Love how far we’ve come but it doesn’t feel the same anymore.

Ties into this concept to a degree.: Uncanny valley - Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

But yes, the changes that we experienced from generation to generation allowed us to appreciate our systems a little more. Kids today aren't seeing THAT huge of a jump from one generation to the next.

I really do think there are wayy too many games out now though. If triple A publishers are no longer making the game or genre of your choice, there are plenty of indie and smaller developers making niche games. When I think about being a kid and growing up with the NES, Sega Genesis, etc., with the N64 and Gamecube hitting that sweet spot of my late teen years, I realize that not only were many of the games I had really great games, but I also invested a lot of myself into them because I couldn't afford not to. I still have my full Gamecube collection of only about 20 games, but they were all amazing games that I invested a lot of time and energy into, games like LoZWW, MKDD, LoZTP, FZGX, RE & RE4, Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, MGS:TTS, even Viewtiful Joe, Eternal Darkness, and Soul Calibur 2. Now, as an adult that can afford more, I have over 200 games on my Switch with very little time or energy to fully invest in any of those overwhelming and sometimes overcomplicated choices.

I really do think there are wayy too many games out now though. If triple A publishers are no longer making the game or genre of your choice, there are plenty of indie and smaller developers making niche games. When I think about being a kid and growing up with the NES, Sega Genesis, etc., with the N64 and Gamecube hitting that sweet spot of my late teen years, I realize that not only were many of the games I had really great games, but I also invested a lot of myself into them because I couldn't afford not to. I still have my full Gamecube collection of only about 20 games, but they were all amazing games that I invested a lot of time and energy into, games like LoZWW, MKDD, LoZTP, FZGX, RE & RE4, Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, MGS:TTS, even Viewtiful Joe, Eternal Darkness, and Soul Calibur 2. Now, as an adult that can afford more, I have over 200 games on my Switch with very little time or energy to fully invest in any of those overwhelming and sometimes overcomplicated choices.

It’s been hard for me to get through campaign/story games these days. Working on undertale right now but that’s also a very retro looking and feeling game. Actually highly recommend if you have something you can play it on. It’s had a lot of earthbounds humor/charm while being it’s own thing.

I can definitely understand where you’re coming from sleepybluedemon sleepybluedemon . I had to stop buying games for the first half of this year so I could get through my backlog on Switch right now.

And I’m going to pick Undertale back up after I finish Samurai Shodown and Streets of Rage IV MajinZuub MajinZuub . I enjoyed Deltarune a little bit more personally, which is also made by Toby Fox. Highly recommend that one if you don’t have it. It’s Free btw.

Back
Top Bottom