The RETRO Gaming Thread!

Kids think PlayStation 5/XSX graphics and power is something. They have no idea what it’s like jumping from 32/64 bit to 128 bit in 1999/2000 era.

They hyped about load times being faster, but they don’t know what it’s like to go from FF9 being 4 discs to FFX being 1. We saw the real future.

Plus we didn’t have to worry about companies caring to sell 10 million copies of AAA titles of the same franchise over and over with little differences in gameplay. AAA wasn’t even a thing back then.

We grew up in a world of innovative gaming, where everyone was trying to create their own lane. I look at Capcom for example: all the fighting games, all the mega man games, breath of fire, viewtiful joe, Ghosts n Goblins, to go along with Resident Evil and Devil May Cry in the 90s and 2000s. Now it’s basically Monster Hunter, SF, DMC, and RE. And don’t get me started on ports. The “let me re-release a game from 1993 to gauge if the people want another one in the series” is one of the stupidest mentalities I’ve ever seen. Don’t get me wrong, I have some ports, but I would rather see them continue the series. Look at the success of Streets of Rage IV. There were ports on the genesis mini, but no single releases that sold crazy, however people LOVE SoR4 and the game has sold very well.

I think that’s why I’m attracted to indie developers so much. They’re keeping the passion that was in our childhoods alive with their simple and fun mechanics. They’re doing so much with so little. Look at Among Us. That’s probably the simplest game made in Flash and it’s phenomenal. I just finished up Luminous Avenger IX and I’ll be going to Inti Creates from now on to get my Mega Man X/Zero fix. Can’t wait for Azure Gunvolt 3.

TLDR; I really miss the passion that went into retro games and appreciate this thread for existing.

I think the jump from Atari level graphics/gameplay to NES graphics/gameplay at least on the console level was far more impressive. You had sprites with detail, far more 'involved' gameplay, sound enhancements, etc...

I've been through the Saturn/PSX/N64 to DC and there was a definite progression in the 3D technology along with the storage media also growing in size, etc... but looking back on it Atari to NES was something else.

I will add that during the Saturn/PSX/N64 and DC/GC/PS2/XBox era, PC gaming at least with 3D games was far more immersive in the visuals and gameplay department.

PC gaming jumped the shark during the X360 and PS3 era with the high costs, high power consumption, etc...

Last edited:
If we weren't in the COVIDS, would you be able to complete an RPG?

Impossible if this was pre-pandemic. I played Witcher 3 on the PS4 over the holidays and cot damn that game was long AF. I'm not a 100% completionist or trophy chaser but I played the core game, no DLC and did most of side quests along with some exploration. Game had me borderline exhausted after I was done (in approximately 3-4 weeks) with some days off.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

vood99 vood99 , true about that jump from Atari to NES/Sega graphics. I’d say that was the 1st major jump and rest that followed were equally impressive. The last one that I noticed were PS2 graphics to the PS3, after that’s its kinda been the same.

If we weren't in the COVIDS, would you be able to complete an RPG?

I don't know man. I was loving Cyberpunk but all I've played since a couple weeks after it dropped are shorter sports/online games. Undertale was able to draw me in but I also developed a random thirst for only retro games this week stoned randomly :lol:

vood99 vood99 , true about that jump from Atari to NES/Sega graphics. I’d say that was the 1st major jump and rest that followed were equally impressive. The last one that I noticed were PS2 graphics to the PS3, after that’s its kinda been the same.

Most def TURBO UNO TURBO UNO and you bring up a good point about the PS2 to PS3 jump. I believe the PS3 and X360 had HDTV support out of the box vs. previous generations that were limited to SDTV formats. So you had more immersive 3D games benefiting from higher resolutions which allowed for detailed textures and so forth.

Hence my gravitating to PC games in the mid-90s to mid-00s - computer monitors always had the higher resolutions plus additional graphical capabilities because you could upgrade CPUs, video cards, etc...

From the NES to the (Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx & finally the SNES) was major leap!
...finally something close to arcade quality graphics on a home console.

Still mad at those Genesis ads trying to sell the system's games as "just like the arcade." I actually believed that as a kid. Was pissed off when I played Golden Axe in the arcades and compared it to the Genesis version I had been playing at home.

Neo Geo was the only way of getting real arcades at home back in the day. No way I had access to that kind of money back then. Most of their games can be had for next to nothing on the Xbox or Playstation store today. I'd highly recommend the first three Metal Slug games.

Still mad at those Genesis ads trying to sell the system's games as "just like the arcade." I actually believed that as a kid. Was pissed off when I played Golden Axe in the arcades and compared it to the Genesis version I had been playing at home.

Neo Geo was the only way of getting real arcades at home back in the day. No way I had access to that kind of money back then. Most of their games can be had for next to nothing on the Xbox or Playstation store today. I'd highly recommend the first three Metal Slug games.

I never knew anyone who had the Neo Geo so don't feel bad.
The rich folks didn't even had one.

Someone must have had it though...I guess. :nerd:

And I agree about the Genesis although, Ghouls N Ghosts for example,
has some pretty stunning graphics...close to arcade. Nothing on the NES
came close (from what I recall off the top.)

From the NES to the (Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx & finally the SNES) was major leap!
...finally something close to arcade quality graphics on a home console.

green rhino123 green rhino123 there's no denying the 8bit to 16bit leap, but the problem was that the damn arcades kept evolving too. There is ZERO comparison between SNES/Genesis ports and their arcade equivalents - it was disappointing AF for so many games.

MJ's Moonwalker comes to mind - the arcade game was so damn different vs. the home ports. My brother and I loved the arcade game with it's multiplayer and when Mom finally got us a Mega Drive (Genesis) in '94 I hassled her to get that game. Left disgusted as hell after the storekeeper demoed that single player, platformer BS to us. :smh: :smh: :smh:

green rhino123 green rhino123 there's no denying the 8bit to 16bit leap, but the problem was that the damn arcades kept evolving too. There is ZERO comparison between SNES/Genesis ports and their arcade equivalents - it was disappointing AF for so many games.

MJ's Moonwalker comes to mind - the arcade game was so damn different vs. the home ports. My brother and I loved the arcade game with it's multiplayer and when Mom finally got us a Mega Drive (Genesis) in '94 I hassled her to get that game. Left disgusted as hell after the storekeeper demoed that single player, platformer BS to us. :smh: :smh: :smh:

Ya, big difference in Moonwalker.

But another example of stunning close-to-arcade graphics... Strider.

Neo Geo AES (console) and MVS (arcade) were one and the same. It's incredible when you think how large their cartridges were in size (physically and ROM storage) vs. the Genesis & SNES which were also 16bit. The former had carts ranging from 100 megabit all the way up to 768 megabit while the latter tapped out about 64 megabits. Even N64 that came out later wouldn't surpass the Neo Geo's cart sizes.

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican TURBO UNO TURBO UNO MajinZuub MajinZuub and my fellow mature (washed) gamers I forgot to mention this in my earlier post regarding RPGs but I thought I should mention that for the PS4 generation (which I hopped onto about 2 years ago) I refer to this website to gauge whether I actually have the time to play & complete games:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :smh: :smh: :smh:

vood99 vood99 , thanks for that link :emoji_thumbsup: . I’m sending that to my nephews since they’re heavy into PS4. That console to them is what the NES was to me.

Last edited:

For Your Eyes Only. Footage of the canceled GoldenEye XBLA remake from 2007, full game on 00 Agent, 4k 60FPS and thirty minutes of multiplayer games. Played on Xenia emulator to achieve a higher resolution.

Back
Top Bottom