The RETRO Gaming Thread!

Most overrated retro game? There's a couple, but I'd go with this one:

Street_Fighter-3rd_Strike-Dreamcast-iso.jpg

Fun game, but the first 2nd Impact was better.

Streets of Rage 4 is going to get some day 1 love from me most likely. I miss beat em ups.

Speaking of the genre, River City Ransom lives up to the hype/cult classic-ness! The NES on Switch Online is one of the best things to happen to me to open my eyes to just how great the NES games are. (Started gaming at the end of the 16-bit to the beginning of the 32-bit era)

I still wish Streets of Rage 4 was pixelated with pixelated sprites. It looks sick tho.

Anyone play the Scott Pilgrim game from last gen? It's pretty good. It plays like a classic beat 'em up with some RPG elements and vendors inside the stages.

I still wish Streets of Rage 4 was pixelated with pixelated sprites. It looks sick tho.

Anyone play the Scott Pilgrim game from last gen? It's pretty good. It plays like a classic beat 'em up with some RPG elements and vendors inside the stages.

I recently logged onto my 360 and totally forgot that I bought that game. I've been messing around with that game and Castle Crashers.

Good Read

Where Are The Sports Gaming Options for Someone on a (Time) Budget?
flame_icon.gif

Here's the deal -- I love playing sports games and making progress through my seasons like everyone else.

However, as the number that indicates my age continues to rise, I'm finding the time I can dedicate to gaming as a hobby (and not job) has dwindled significantly as responsibilities elsewhere rise.

The thought of playing a full 162 game season in MLB: The Show is a laughable proposition for me, as I'm sure it is for other gamers. Ditto for an 82 game NBA season or an NHL season as well.

Frankly, I'm on a time budget and I'd love to see developers of sports games recognize this about their older customers.

It wasn't that long ago NCAA Basketball from EA Sports had an amazingly simple fix to this problem: the ability to sim a game in real time and jump in whenever you wanted, be it early in the first half or in the waning moments of the game.

You didn't have to enter a loading screen unless you entered the game which meant you could move through games rather fast if the outcome was a blowout or if you carefully simmed ahead.

I once had a Dynasty Mode in NCAA Basketball which went a full nine seasons in because of this feature. I could sim a full 40 minute game and jump in with 10 minutes to go or so.

Most of the time the game was either in doubt with me holding a close lead or I was playing from behind trying to catch up. With good settings, this made for continually challenging gameplay. As I did this, I would typically skip through blowouts because that's just how those games went.

To me that was part of the team building process, and I have no problem letting a simulation play out in this manner. Some people will find their mileage may vary, but this simple idea and concept allowed me to play through more seasons than I ever had the right to with a sport which featured pretty long (30+) game seasons.

Think about that same concept with The Show or NBA 2K.

For me, this solves two problems: 1)Realistic stats over the correct number of minutes and games and 2)The ability to make progress on dauntingly long seasons.

MLB 14 The Show will be offering a unique way around this, by 'simming' into an at-bat making each one start with a generated count based upon factors going on within the game. This is going to save a lot of time, and if you coupled that with the sim-through option NCAA Basketball had, a 162 game season is something that's entirely doable for the Average Joe on a time budget.

Time savers are a simple idea, but I hope they become standard in sports games as we head into the future.

What other time savers should developers look into to help gamers on a time crunch?

Back
Top Bottom