This needs to be discussed

Originally Posted by adtheone

Originally Posted by ohdannyboy

Originally Posted by luvtheshoe

Here's my take.

It's just a term people like to throw around to sound like their shoes are important.  I offered a well-known member a whole $10 less than his asking price and he calls me names and used the term "lowballer"  multiple times in his response.  Then he tells me to pay him his asking price right now and send as a gift, yeah right.
laugh.gif

Really? Ten dollars? Dude's like yourself are hilarious.
sir can you please elaborate on your comment ohdannyboy 

Case in point. In January I was selling my Christmas Lebron 8's for 170 (they were 160 retail) shipped. Prices at the time were in the 200-225 range. A guy offered me 160 and threatened to walk away if I said no 
indifferent.gif
. Chances are that if your offering ten dollars less than the asking price, that your already getting a deal. Dudes like this are never satisfied with whatever your asking price is (no matter how good the deal) and will always try that 10-20 dollar game. Is ten dollars really a big enough amount to make you pass on a pair of kicks? No. 

Here's my take.

It's just a term people like to throw around to sound like their shoes are important.  I offered a well-known member a whole $10 less than his asking price and he calls me names and used the term "lowballer"  multiple times in his response.  Then he tells me to pay him his asking price right now and send as a gift, yeah right.
laugh.gif

Case in point. In January I was selling my Christmas Lebron 8's for 170 (they were 160 retail) shipped. Prices at the time were in the 200-225 range. A guy offered me 160 and threatened to walk away if I said no 
indifferent.gif
. Chances are that if your offering ten dollars less than the asking price, that your already getting a deal. Dudes like this are never satisfied with whatever your asking price is (no matter how good the deal) and will always try that 10-20 dollar game. Is ten dollars really a big enough amount to make you pass on a pair of kicks? No. 

indifferent.gif
Understand, but that goes for the seller also.

indifferent.gif
Understand, but that goes for the seller also.

indifferent.gif
Just to enlighten you since you know all the "dudes" in the world.  It was a shoe that goes for less than what I offered.  Not sure why you feel so high and mighty on the subject.  You obviously missed the part about being professional in the first place.  If someone offered you something other than what you want, simply say "sorry", " no thanks".  I guess you and your shoes are too cool for that though?

indifferent.gif
Just to enlighten you since you know all the "dudes" in the world.  It was a shoe that goes for less than what I offered.  Not sure why you feel so high and mighty on the subject.  You obviously missed the part about being professional in the first place.  If someone offered you something other than what you want, simply say "sorry", " no thanks".  I guess you and your shoes are too cool for that though?

The only reason I contribute to this thread is because I see an opportunity to use it as a means to point to something much more systemic than "lowballers" or "resellers".

To revisit OP's original post, the question has a myriad of different answers all shaded with assumption, opinion, and subjectivity, so ultimately there really is no "true" answer.  However, one of the simple answers would be that basic economic systems drive the price of shoes in all markets (as it does other goods and commodities).  Supply and demand.  It may be hackneyed, but it in its essence boils down to this.  High demand + low supply = High prices.

Also, the older kicks were made with better materials and constructed more carefully, and thus are more durable and comfortable, and thus create a desire in the shoe consumer to have them for this reason itself.  Add to that the fact that many of these shoes are very hard to come by in an unworn and wearable condition with life still left in them.  This is where the ranking system evolved from, as a trade market jargon specifically suited for shoes.  This holds true on all specialized markets.  The traders develop terminology to expedite the trades and process of the purchase and sell.

But more importantly in my opinion, is the question of how do these shoes gain this value and currency to begin with?  Their "retail" price? 

As we sit in the midst of America reaching a 4.4 Trillion Dollar deficit (the supposed "ceiling") where our Politicians and Lawmakers begin the process of cutting the pensions of many retirees and current workers that worked for more than half of their life to secure for themselves, we face Medicare and Education and Law Enforcement cuts.  Social Services and Public Research funding being slashed as well while the top executives of large corporations and financial agencies continue to rake in record profits.  Their salaries continue to skyrocket while the "average worker's" remains the same and his dollar purchases less and less of life's necessities. 

As Americans (and I do realize this board is international, that is why I specify), we are consuming a product that is manufactured and produced in China and Taiwan at what REAL cost?  Labor and materials are cheap in China.  America has a massive debt to the Chinese and we continue to borrow from them.  There is no sign of this stopping with our National Deficit reaching this so-called "ceiling". 

So the question to me is:  Who is determining the value of the shoes as they are produced?  Taking into consideration the many aspects of producing shoes to be sold on the "retail market"; for instance, the value of the labor, the materials, processing of the materials, transportation of materials and finished product, marketing, design, quality assurance (if there is any left in JB
laugh.gif
), and on and on. 

What does the dollar buy in terms of these factors and how is that determined?  Who is set to truly profit from the production of these shoes?  And more importantly, how do they continue to ensure that their profit and power and control are secure?

This is a systemic issue.  You are talking about the World Economic System that was most recently developed and revolutionized after World War II at the Bretton Woods Project meetings where the IMF and World Bank were made international financial institutions.

There will always be a High Price and a Low Price, the majority fall closer to the average or median.  And there are always many factors that determine what price you will pay for the good or service you seek.  Knowledge, mobility, communication abilities, purchasing power, net monetary value of assets, etc etc...

OP, as I can see from your signature, you are under the impression that money has the ability to change people if they have what you call "enough" of it.  Indeed it does, but what type of change you manifest from having "enough" money (whatever that truly means) depends more on your morality and character than anything else.

With that being said, I wish nothing but Peace, Respect, and Love to All my Brothers and Sisters. 

nerd.gif

The only reason I contribute to this thread is because I see an opportunity to use it as a means to point to something much more systemic than "lowballers" or "resellers".

To revisit OP's original post, the question has a myriad of different answers all shaded with assumption, opinion, and subjectivity, so ultimately there really is no "true" answer.  However, one of the simple answers would be that basic economic systems drive the price of shoes in all markets (as it does other goods and commodities).  Supply and demand.  It may be hackneyed, but it in its essence boils down to this.  High demand + low supply = High prices.

Also, the older kicks were made with better materials and constructed more carefully, and thus are more durable and comfortable, and thus create a desire in the shoe consumer to have them for this reason itself.  Add to that the fact that many of these shoes are very hard to come by in an unworn and wearable condition with life still left in them.  This is where the ranking system evolved from, as a trade market jargon specifically suited for shoes.  This holds true on all specialized markets.  The traders develop terminology to expedite the trades and process of the purchase and sell.

But more importantly in my opinion, is the question of how do these shoes gain this value and currency to begin with?  Their "retail" price? 

As we sit in the midst of America reaching a 4.4 Trillion Dollar deficit (the supposed "ceiling") where our Politicians and Lawmakers begin the process of cutting the pensions of many retirees and current workers that worked for more than half of their life to secure for themselves, we face Medicare and Education and Law Enforcement cuts.  Social Services and Public Research funding being slashed as well while the top executives of large corporations and financial agencies continue to rake in record profits.  Their salaries continue to skyrocket while the "average worker's" remains the same and his dollar purchases less and less of life's necessities. 

As Americans (and I do realize this board is international, that is why I specify), we are consuming a product that is manufactured and produced in China and Taiwan at what REAL cost?  Labor and materials are cheap in China.  America has a massive debt to the Chinese and we continue to borrow from them.  There is no sign of this stopping with our National Deficit reaching this so-called "ceiling". 

So the question to me is:  Who is determining the value of the shoes as they are produced?  Taking into consideration the many aspects of producing shoes to be sold on the "retail market"; for instance, the value of the labor, the materials, processing of the materials, transportation of materials and finished product, marketing, design, quality assurance (if there is any left in JB
laugh.gif
), and on and on. 

What does the dollar buy in terms of these factors and how is that determined?  Who is set to truly profit from the production of these shoes?  And more importantly, how do they continue to ensure that their profit and power and control are secure?

This is a systemic issue.  You are talking about the World Economic System that was most recently developed and revolutionized after World War II at the Bretton Woods Project meetings where the IMF and World Bank were made international financial institutions.

There will always be a High Price and a Low Price, the majority fall closer to the average or median.  And there are always many factors that determine what price you will pay for the good or service you seek.  Knowledge, mobility, communication abilities, purchasing power, net monetary value of assets, etc etc...

OP, as I can see from your signature, you are under the impression that money has the ability to change people if they have what you call "enough" of it.  Indeed it does, but what type of change you manifest from having "enough" money (whatever that truly means) depends more on your morality and character than anything else.

With that being said, I wish nothing but Peace, Respect, and Love to All my Brothers and Sisters. 

nerd.gif

I am really frustrated at the term LOWBALL, I am always reading where people are saying do not lowball me, lowball offers will be ignored etc… What I don’t understand is if you are offered more than what you paid for an item how can it be lowballing? Remember there is only one purchase that you can ever make in life that you can hope to gain substantial revenue on and that is property i.e. land and houses. Wait, maybe it could be you don’t want less than the market value of a shoe, I can understand that if you can explain to me what the market value is and how it is configured. A lot of times people look at ebay and the marketplace on the sneaker forums like %***##$$$$#@@ and Niketalk and see what the prices are and say that’s the market value. Truth is a lot of times the buy now price is never met and you see the same posting month after month. That is not the market value.

The biggest thing that bugs me is how you can ask for above retail on a shoe that has been worn and call it vvvnds, this is a myth that really needs to stop. There are only two categories when it comes to anything and they are new and used. Who in the hell came up with all these sub categories? Well I know some people may say that, “I would be stupid for selling for less than what others are selling their stuff for

I am really frustrated at the term LOWBALL, I am always reading where people are saying do not lowball me, lowball offers will be ignored etc… What I don’t understand is if you are offered more than what you paid for an item how can it be lowballing? Remember there is only one purchase that you can ever make in life that you can hope to gain substantial revenue on and that is property i.e. land and houses. Wait, maybe it could be you don’t want less than the market value of a shoe, I can understand that if you can explain to me what the market value is and how it is configured. A lot of times people look at ebay and the marketplace on the sneaker forums like %***##$$$$#@@ and Niketalk and see what the prices are and say that’s the market value. Truth is a lot of times the buy now price is never met and you see the same posting month after month. That is not the market value.

The biggest thing that bugs me is how you can ask for above retail on a shoe that has been worn and call it vvvnds, this is a myth that really needs to stop. There are only two categories when it comes to anything and they are new and used. Who in the hell came up with all these sub categories? Well I know some people may say that, “I would be stupid for selling for less than what others are selling their stuff for

indifferent.gif
What shoes were they and what was the listed price? A link to the actually listing would also be fantastic! It's not about me and my shoes being "too cool" for anything. It's about wasting someones time with a stupid offer. Why can't you just accept the deal for what it is? Like I stated before, "dudes" like yourself will never be satisfied with a price. No matter how good the deal is, you will always play that 10-20 dollar game.

indifferent.gif
What shoes were they and what was the listed price? A link to the actually listing would also be fantastic! It's not about me and my shoes being "too cool" for anything. It's about wasting someones time with a stupid offer. Why can't you just accept the deal for what it is? Like I stated before, "dudes" like yourself will never be satisfied with a price. No matter how good the deal is, you will always play that 10-20 dollar game.

Originally Posted by 160jordansdeep

some dude offered me $175.00 or was it $160.00 for CDP 6's a few weeks ago from off here 
roll.gif

if thats not low balling i dont know what is 
i could see paying less then aftermarket value 

but come on 

also another dude offered me $200.00 for CDP 4's
laugh.gif

they both wanted deadstock shoes

SMFH

he offered what they were worth to him.
i wouldn't pay more than 200 for CDP IVs either.  The quality is no bueno.

some dude offered me $175.00 or was it $160.00 for CDP 6's a few weeks ago from off here 
roll.gif

but come on 

laugh.gif

SMFH

Originally Posted by dwEEb813

roll.gif

but come on 

laugh.gif

SMFH

Yeah I would offer 200 tops, anymore and I might as well find some retros.

Originally Posted by dwEEb813

roll.gif

but come on 

laugh.gif

SMFH

Yeah I would offer 200 tops, anymore and I might as well find some retros.

Some sellers dont understand the meaning of "best offer" though. List shoes for 200 and when i offer 165 they send counter offer for 195.50. Reminds me of Russel Peters's "thiirtyyyy fooo fiiiftyyy"

Some sellers dont understand the meaning of "best offer" though. List shoes for 200 and when i offer 165 they send counter offer for 195.50. Reminds me of Russel Peters's "thiirtyyyy fooo fiiiftyyy"

I dont even care so much about the VVVNDS thing, its when people call it NDS or something when i seriosuly is nowhere near deadstock condition that gets me annoyed.

I dont even care so much about the VVVNDS thing, its when people call it NDS or something when i seriosuly is nowhere near deadstock condition that gets me annoyed.

Let me clear some things up:

1. The statement I made was not about something that happened to me personally. I read the forums everyday and I always see the word no lowballing. If you have a product for 300 bucks and a offer is made of 250 how can a seller say that is lowballing. If the value of a shoe is determined by what buyers pay then are you saying that alkl buyers want to pay the high price, of course not. So the prices are set by the sellers and thats fact. Example, post is made for say the yeezy, seller wants 900 bucks for it but a offer comes in at 500 bucks. Seller says that is a lowball offer but the product stays posted for 4 months. Does the seller ever drop the price, no; he wants his asking price. So it cant possibly be the buyers that set the price.

2. I never intended the post to be a rant or seem like I was upset at all. I was putting out thoughts that were in my head. I thought this was a community and I could have got some good feedback not insults and people saying ignorant non relevant comments.

3. It amazes me that in this culture there are no truths besides trying to get as much off the next person as possible.

4. I say sir as a sign of growth not as a slave

5. I never let anyone dictate how I spend my money so if someone denies my offer or says I am offering to low then it doesnt bother me. It bothers me when you reply with a hate message ranting about what the shoe is worth to you and that you dont have to sell it if you dont get what you want.  

Thank you for your time gentlemen

all right here is the thing, if a shoe has an established market price, give or take X dollars, then the seller will try to sell his/ her pair sold at said price...The buyer does not set the price, technically. Its a little hard to explain, but if a shoe comes out (unestablished market value at this point) and people (buyers) are paying a certain amount, future sellers will try to raise this amount to the max that they can get and this is how a market price gets established. Sure the price someone is willing to pay varies from buyer to buyer, but at some point if there is an AVERAGE market price, why would someone (buyer) pay over that value? Thus the seller sets the price based on how much a large amount of people will pay and a  market value becomes established.

OH and just because a buyer offers X dollars for a pair doesnt mean the seller has to sell it for said price (if he figures he can get more from another buyer). Now that we all know what lowballing is, can an NTer explain to me what value below market price is considered "lowballing" and what is considered a "fair offer"? I assume it all depends on how much the seller wants to receive for his pair, thus my question is unanswerable. I would say offer within reason. If a shoe is worth 300 and you offer 150 then its obvious this is lowballing, in this case the buyer would have to offer until the seller says "DEAL." Does this scenario make sense?

I'm saying NT is strictly for collectors, but come on man. If you dont like what the shoe collector culture is then why are you on NT? If you are on NT, then you obviously know something about what collectors do and arent the average shoe consumer (wearer)....I have no problem with you being on NT and I welcome you to NT, but why are you complaining about prices and lowballers?  Thats how it is man, either deal with it or I guess keep complaining.  

I NEVER SAID I KNEW EVERYTHING, BUT ALL THIS STUFF IS COMMON SENSE TO US, AND MY FELLOW NTers HAVE BEEN SAYING THE SAME THING TO YOU THE WHOLE TIME......DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHY THE SHOES ARE WORTH SO MUCH AND DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I WAS TRYING TO EXPLAIN IN THIS POST?

Let me clear some things up:

1. The statement I made was not about something that happened to me personally. I read the forums everyday and I always see the word no lowballing. If you have a product for 300 bucks and a offer is made of 250 how can a seller say that is lowballing. If the value of a shoe is determined by what buyers pay then are you saying that alkl buyers want to pay the high price, of course not. So the prices are set by the sellers and thats fact. Example, post is made for say the yeezy, seller wants 900 bucks for it but a offer comes in at 500 bucks. Seller says that is a lowball offer but the product stays posted for 4 months. Does the seller ever drop the price, no; he wants his asking price. So it cant possibly be the buyers that set the price.

2. I never intended the post to be a rant or seem like I was upset at all. I was putting out thoughts that were in my head. I thought this was a community and I could have got some good feedback not insults and people saying ignorant non relevant comments.

3. It amazes me that in this culture there are no truths besides trying to get as much off the next person as possible.

4. I say sir as a sign of growth not as a slave

5. I never let anyone dictate how I spend my money so if someone denies my offer or says I am offering to low then it doesnt bother me. It bothers me when you reply with a hate message ranting about what the shoe is worth to you and that you dont have to sell it if you dont get what you want.  

Thank you for your time gentlemen

all right here is the thing, if a shoe has an established market price, give or take X dollars, then the seller will try to sell his/ her pair sold at said price...The buyer does not set the price, technically. Its a little hard to explain, but if a shoe comes out (unestablished market value at this point) and people (buyers) are paying a certain amount, future sellers will try to raise this amount to the max that they can get and this is how a market price gets established. Sure the price someone is willing to pay varies from buyer to buyer, but at some point if there is an AVERAGE market price, why would someone (buyer) pay over that value? Thus the seller sets the price based on how much a large amount of people will pay and a  market value becomes established.

OH and just because a buyer offers X dollars for a pair doesnt mean the seller has to sell it for said price (if he figures he can get more from another buyer). Now that we all know what lowballing is, can an NTer explain to me what value below market price is considered "lowballing" and what is considered a "fair offer"? I assume it all depends on how much the seller wants to receive for his pair, thus my question is unanswerable. I would say offer within reason. If a shoe is worth 300 and you offer 150 then its obvious this is lowballing, in this case the buyer would have to offer until the seller says "DEAL." Does this scenario make sense?

I'm saying NT is strictly for collectors, but come on man. If you dont like what the shoe collector culture is then why are you on NT? If you are on NT, then you obviously know something about what collectors do and arent the average shoe consumer (wearer)....I have no problem with you being on NT and I welcome you to NT, but why are you complaining about prices and lowballers?  Thats how it is man, either deal with it or I guess keep complaining.  

I NEVER SAID I KNEW EVERYTHING, BUT ALL THIS STUFF IS COMMON SENSE TO US, AND MY FELLOW NTers HAVE BEEN SAYING THE SAME THING TO YOU THE WHOLE TIME......DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHY THE SHOES ARE WORTH SO MUCH AND DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I WAS TRYING TO EXPLAIN IN THIS POST?

Low balling is a subjective term. It is up to the seller to determine what it means. Some might say that $10 off the average ebay price is low balling. Others might say 10% of the average ebay price is. So to a point I get what the OP is saying. You are putting an item up for sale and unless it is in an auction then how can the buyers determine what a lowball price is? If you want to make it easy just post a price and indicate you are willing to negotiate? One thing I really hate is a listing like this:

For sale: DS AJ XI SPACE JAMS size 10. Listening to offers. No lowballing.

A prospective buyer would look at this and say "What should I offer? If I offer too low he might blow me off and I miss my chance to get it. If I offer too high I would lose money."

Ultimately however an item is only worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Like so many people pointed out.

Low balling is a subjective term. It is up to the seller to determine what it means. Some might say that $10 off the average ebay price is low balling. Others might say 10% of the average ebay price is. So to a point I get what the OP is saying. You are putting an item up for sale and unless it is in an auction then how can the buyers determine what a lowball price is? If you want to make it easy just post a price and indicate you are willing to negotiate? One thing I really hate is a listing like this:

For sale: DS AJ XI SPACE JAMS size 10. Listening to offers. No lowballing.

A prospective buyer would look at this and say "What should I offer? If I offer too low he might blow me off and I miss my chance to get it. If I offer too high I would lose money."

Ultimately however an item is only worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Like so many people pointed out.

I guess what I should have done was post one thought at a time. I still cant believe people have called the post a rant or me being angry. To find the true essence of a man strike a debate with them and see how they handle themselves and the responses you get. The truth is in the "pudding".

Back
Top Bottom