Tipping Vol. Why am I paying you extra to do your job?

in some countries you're not expected to tip.
in comparison they get paid the same as waiters/waitresses in north america

Originally Posted by do work son

out of curiosity, do yall tip bartenders?

hell yeah, i tip them well. next time i come thru, they hook me up with a couple of free drinks
pimp.gif

How much do you guys usually tip at the bar? Do I really have to leave an extra dollar (usually 20-30%) for a beer on tap?

after thinking about it, i guess it would be easier to digest if you think of it more like a commission for their work, like a salesman.

but i dont buy the "prices would go up" argument because wouldnt it be more appropriate that if servers were paid a living wage that the money SHOULD come from the bottom line and not the customers? i know thats not realistic, but it makes the most sense.

Originally Posted by jawnyquest

it's not really ''extra'' though. like others have said, their wages are way lower than the minimum. i'm sure if you added what they're tipped to their checks, you'd see they make just as much as those who works minimum wage and doesn't get tipped.

I don't know how restaurants got exempted from the minimum wage.  Its sad that some only make $2.15/hr. 

Originally Posted by 650sGABE

How much do you guys usually tip at the bar? Do I really have to leave an extra dollar (usually 20-30%) for a beer on tap?

i'll usually leave a dollar or 2 on every drink. i know it's not much but it's somethin
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

Originally Posted by iamsaikotic

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

I'm trying to say that that increase in the price of food that you're talking about is already there after you tip. They do have easy jobs. They walk to and from the chef window all day, write orders down, and communicate with people. That's difficult?

They communicate with people like you so it's pretty difficult.

Also, you didn't sell 50 iPhones that one day... you took 50 orders for an iPhone like at McDonald's. That's why you don't deserve a tip.

So.. going through the transaction, setting up the phone & contract, assisting the customer in buying accessories or other problems (like setting up their iTunes account, etc) isn't a sale? That's just taking an order?  Mind you, that's just if the transaction went right and I didn't have to contact ATT over contract issues as well as bill issues.  But there's no work in that? 
So greeting you, taking your order, bringing it back to the kitchen, refilling drinks, cleaning empty tables, making sure everything is correct with your order, and bringing it back to you isnt work? Try doing that with like 5 or 6 tables too, AND while only making like $3-4/hr besides tips? I bet you made like $9-10 at the apple store. Youre cheap thats it.

Originally Posted by djaward

Tipping or no tipping, prices will raise. I tip the waiter/waitress even if they are bad. Ive heard getting tipped a dollar or two hurts more than not getting tipped at all.

Yup, id much rather get none than a @%**%%* dollar tip. F that i hate that !+$!
mad.gif
mad.gif

And no racist but ive noticed that its mostly black people that dont tip

Trust me, if you tip things will be better for you. Where I work no ones gonna spit on your food or anything nasty like that, but you never know with other places. And me personally, when I have like 4-5 deliveries if there's someone who I know doesn't tip well, you better believe they're getting their food last. *!%$ em

2. I was at Red Robin (yum). The waitress was cool. Very nice and on point. I asked for a refill on my coke when she came back with my drink, my soda tasted like rootbeer. I said "hey I think someone might have crossed the syrup. I taste rootbeer". Her reply was "Oh then I think I gave you his drink (pointing at another table) and he got your drink". That stuff grossed me the ##%* out. I talked to the manager and explained to her what happened. She ended up taking my meal off the tab. I left the girl a $2 tip and wrote on the receipt "Thanks for ruining my dinner".

This is pathetic

was at a bar/strip club in canada years ago with friends,
waitress brought over our beers & then stretched her hand out with the palm
facing up & then stood there & stared us down...the only time i didn't leave a tip

I agree. The argument that I just shouldnt go to that restaraunt, well they shouldnt have gotten that job. And it's stupid that theres different rules so the waiter can make less then minimum wage. /rant

Ok you are an ignoramus.
The industry is built around tips. Servers here in Fl only make 4.23/hr because the tips are built into their wages to hopefully raise the hourly pay above minimum wage.
Nobody in their right mind would bring you your food and drinks and deal with your attitude for 4.23 an hour.
/Thread

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

2. I was at Red Robin (yum). The waitress was cool. Very nice and on point. I asked for a refill on my coke when she came back with my drink, my soda tasted like rootbeer. I said "hey I think someone might have crossed the syrup. I taste rootbeer". Her reply was "Oh then I think I gave you his drink (pointing at another table) and he got your drink". That stuff grossed me the ##%* out. I talked to the manager and explained to her what happened. She ended up taking my meal off the tab. I left the girl a $2 tip and wrote on the receipt "Thanks for ruining my dinner".

This is pathetic
Agreed. People make mistakes. 

This is pathetic
she made a mistake with your drink. relax.

you took one sip and it ruined your dinner? you must be a miserable individual.

they gave you a free meal because she accidentally brought you the wrong drink and you left 2 dollars. you're despicable

This is pathetic

indifferent.gif
such a lame

I tip every Waitress, Doesn't matter if they do a good or bad job, They don't get payed enough. Of course I'll pay the one that did the good job more.

Everytime I get a haircut I give 3-5 tip, Never leave without leaving a tip.

Everytime:

Barber $3-5.
Waitress $3-7.
Other places, Depends.

I have no problem with tipping at a restaurant. but I DO have a problem with tipping the pizza delivery guy when I'm also paying a delivery charge. this wasn't always an issue with me so I never had I problem tipping the pizza guy. but just last year a bunch pizza places around me started adding a delivery charge. first time I saw it I was like, "what the *$*% is this!?". correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a delivery charge pretty much the same as a tip?? why do I have to tip you if I'm being charged for the delivery??

Most states have laws about what servers/bartenders make. In NY, its about $5 an hour. If people declare their tips (like they should) then most likely their whole paycheck will be voided and all they make are their tips. If you work 40 hours in a week and make $500 in tips, you most likely aren't getting any money from wages. Pay for service, it's that simple. If you don't want good service, then go to a fast food place or don't go out to eat at all.

Originally Posted by Koudie From BroOklyn

This is pathetic

indifferent.gif
such a lame

I seriously dont understand whats wrong with what he did. I wouldnt have wrote anything on the receipt. I would have felt the same way though. How hard can your job be? I hate it when people at MDs get my order wrong. If you have a simple job there should be no mistakes. If you cant handle getting two drinks at the same time and keep track of who gets what.. You dont deserve my tip.

Back
Top Bottom