Tipping Vol. Why am I paying you extra to do your job?

Originally Posted by iLike Turtles

I have no problem with tipping at a restaurant. but I DO have a problem with tipping the pizza delivery guy when I'm also paying a delivery charge. this wasn't always an issue with me so I never had I problem tipping the pizza guy. but just last year a bunch pizza places around me started adding a delivery charge. first time I saw it I was like, "what the *$*% is this!?". correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a delivery charge pretty much the same as a tip?? why do I have to tip you if I'm being charged for the delivery??

in that case, dude gets a small tip, just deduct the delivery charge
(if they charge $2-$3 as a delivery fee - just tip dude a dollar and the change)
i delivered pizzas in college, and if my pizza shop charged like that,
i would have expected the tips to be less and dealt with it or quit  

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

Most states have laws about what servers/bartenders make. In NY, its about $5 an hour. If people declare their tips (like they should) then most likely their whole paycheck will be voided and all they make are their tips. If you work 40 hours in a week and make $500 in tips, you most likely aren't getting any money from wages. Pay for service, it's that simple. If you don't want good service, then go to a fast food place or don't go out to eat at all.

What if you don't care about the service and don't want to eat at home or eat fast food???

I would get my own drinks/food and wash my plates if I could.. wait, servers don't do that...

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

2. I was at Red Robin (yum). The waitress was cool. Very nice and on point. I asked for a refill on my coke when she came back with my drink, my soda tasted like rootbeer. I said "hey I think someone might have crossed the syrup. I taste rootbeer". Her reply was "Oh then I think I gave you his drink (pointing at another table) and he got your drink". That stuff grossed me the ##%* out. I talked to the manager and explained to her what happened. She ended up taking my meal off the tab. I left the girl a $2 tip and wrote on the receipt "Thanks for ruining my dinner".

pimp.gif
the world needs more people like you
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

2. I was at Red Robin (yum). The waitress was cool. Very nice and on point. I asked for a refill on my coke when she came back with my drink, my soda tasted like rootbeer. I said "hey I think someone might have crossed the syrup. I taste rootbeer". Her reply was "Oh then I think I gave you his drink (pointing at another table) and he got your drink". That stuff grossed me the ##%* out. I talked to the manager and explained to her what happened. She ended up taking my meal off the tab. I left the girl a $2 tip and wrote on the receipt "Thanks for ruining my dinner".

pimp.gif
the world needs more people like you
pimp.gif

roll.gif
i bet the staff had a good laugh at you when you left.  this dude is emo as hell over some root beer.

This is pathetic

agreed
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

pimp.gif
only fast food over here, but I do tip everytime i hit up McDonalds or Wendys 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
I never understood why we tip waiter but not people of the fast food industry. Their jobs are way worse at min wage.
sick.gif

You're tipping a waiter because they're constantly going back n forth to get you things you ask for. Why should I tip the 16 year old cashier at McDonalds? Because she punched a few buttons on a register? Those tips you put in the jar get split among the entire staff. The $8 in tips in the jar at the end of the night isn't benefiting those 10 people very much

I'm constantly going back and forth to get people shoes at footlocker, and I don't get a tip. On top of that, I probably make as much an hour as they do. Where's my tip? Feels bad, man.

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

Most states have laws about what servers/bartenders make. In NY, its about $5 an hour. If people declare their tips (like they should) then most likely their whole paycheck will be voided and all they make are their tips. If you work 40 hours in a week and make $500 in tips, you most likely aren't getting any money from wages. Pay for service, it's that simple. If you don't want good service, then go to a fast food place or don't go out to eat at all.

What if you don't care about the service and don't want to eat at home or eat fast food???

I would get my own drinks/food and wash my plates if I could.. wait, servers don't do that...
then you bite the bullet and tip.  unless you're eating at ruth chris or fogo de chao the tip is only gonna be a matter of a few dollars anyways. 

I always tip well

I get a shape up weekly, and hair cut every 2-3 weeks depending on the season, My barber always gets $5 tip no matter what and always looks out for me...if ten people waiting to get a hair cut and i walk in im on deck because i have a good relationship with him.

Tipping at restaurants is a little different always leave a good tip but it does depend on the service and what the bill cost.

but to me it's just customary...like giving gifts on a birthday or using toilet paper to wipe your behind...you don't HAVE to do it...but you do because its the way things are

Originally Posted by proper english

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
some of ya'll are just looking for a damn excuse to save a few dollars. 
Basically. 
@*# are you gonna do with an extra $5 anyway? Buy some streebo? A Happy Meal? 

FOH

Originally Posted by BigRockford

Originally Posted by Koudie From BroOklyn

This is pathetic

indifferent.gif
such a lame

I seriously dont understand whats wrong with what he did. I wouldnt have wrote anything on the receipt. I would have felt the same way though. How hard can your job be? I hate it when people at MDs get my order wrong. If you have a simple job there should be no mistakes. If you cant handle getting two drinks at the same time and keep track of who gets what.. You dont deserve my tip.

You don't see a problem with what he did? you're just as pathetic as him. Ok she made a mistake with the drinks...how hard is it to just ask for the correct drink? Like...why even cause a scene?
laugh.gif
. Man some of you are pathetic for real. Bunch of drama queens. Its just a drink, dude...................a drink.
laugh.gif

Most jobs where tips are customary get paid less than minimum wage, the tips are to keep them honest and make sure they do a good job, since their job is based on customer service and interaction. 

UPS/USPS don't have much to do with customer service at all, they simply deliver packages.  Just because they have to deal with weather and dogs doesn't mean they deserve to get tips.  They get paid much better than waiters/waitresses to deal with those type of things.

Not to be rude, but you sound pretty ignorant about this whole thing.
ohwell.gif
Sorry, man.

real life...

not a server, but serving could be a pretty hard job...

its not just about taking and order and putting it in the computer and refills...

you got hella tables asking for hella stuff... got you running and sweating...

not the same as the dudes at footlocker, or McDonald... those fools take your order and money and boom theyre done with you...

your with the server for about 30- 60 mins... and they are there attending to your needs, some people will chill at a restaurant all damn day asking for stuff...

you cant really compare serving to, a delivery driver, or fast food worker, or a sales man ( plus sales men get commissions, almost like tips...)

IF THE SERVER SUCKS DONT TIP THEM...

laugh.gif
@ dude who had to have a conversation with the manager because your coke got mixed up with a root beer.  You sound like a 6-year-old school girl.  I would be seriously embarrassed if I was with you at that restaurant.

It's funny because in Taiwan (and in all of Asia I believe) you're not expected to tip and if you do they actually run out the restaurant to give you your money back
laugh.gif

But in my opinion...if I'm eating out at a fancier place, I'll tip at least 15% just because they're part of the experience and if they do their job well that's how you can let them know. I'll tip 10% (or sometimes less) if I feel that the service was absolutely terrible.

Originally Posted by JJ1223

laugh.gif
@ dude who had to have a conversation with the manager because your coke got mixed up with a root beer.  You sound like a 6-year-old school girl.  I would be seriously embarrassed if I was with you at that restaurant.
i could see dude getting into it with his girl.  leaving her a note... "thanks for ruining my life" *runs off and pouts*

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

I understand for those who live in states where they get 2 dollars an hour or whatever plus tips but here in Cali they get min wage AT LEAST + tip, how do you guys feel about that?

Originally Posted by VietStar

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Question do you tip the waiter if you order your food to go? (At Restaurants)

I don't see why you'd need to...

I think this is a legitmate question.  I typically don't tip with take out orders, but have on occasion.  If I'm picking up a really big order and someone helps me get it packed up and in my car, I'll tip them.  Not 15 or 20% of the bill, but something.  But if its just a real simple order and all the person really does is take my money and hand me a bag, I don't leave a tip (unless its a smoking hot girl and she's friendly). 

Business owners taking advantage of the situation to pay them less because everybody else does the same, therefore maximizing their profits. I'm surprised I haven't seen a food chain yet that pays their wait staff more hourly and tells their customers not to tip.

Originally Posted by acidicality

It's funny because in Taiwan (and in all of Asia I believe) you're not expected to tip and if you do they actually run out the restaurant to give you your money back
laugh.gif

I was in France on vacation and my friends and I left a nice tip, got up and left only to see the waiter running after us about 2 minutes later trying to give us the money back because he said we overpaid.  Needless to say he was pretty pumped when we told him it was his and everytime we walked past his spot thereafter he would have us stop in and give us beers on the house. 

Back
Top Bottom