UCSD Frat has 'Ghetto-Themed' Party

The issue with this is ignorance. For one, can any properly define the term "ghetto"? What constitutes as ghetto? How could u portray that without offending all Black ppl? I drink Grape Kool-Aid, does that make me ghetto? From the invitation I fall into that category. Those laughin at ignorance must not have a care in the world.

I would be offended if i went to that school... I hope there was no black people in the fraternity who co-signed this party

Originally Posted by Frische Produkte

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]It's sad that stuff like this takes place, but when some black people are constantly seen acting accordingly (ie; Ghetto chicks start fights and drama, smacking lips, weaves in bad colors, limited vocabulary), then I can't even say much. But college kids doing this? [/color]
smh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] I mean, when will they grow up?[/color]

Didn't you know? College = high school part 2.

Problem is blacks can dish it and cannot take it. Also something cant be offensive unless a person make a conscious decision to be offended by it. So in essence If you notice its usually blacks that make an uproar aka "big deal" about these things. $@$*! dont sit back ponder or even care about issues and events like this. The irony of it all is that these same black ppl ridicule, make fun of and ostricize these same said $@$*!. Then turn around and have a itch fit when someone outside their respective race does it.

Trust that daquan from the hood aint trippen, letting the mockery of some priviledged white kids hurt they feelings, but a person like a bill cosby goes on a tirade, media frenzy about these events. But at the same token (see what i did there) just got off of cnbc making comments and stereotyping the same folks and placing the same characteristics on these said $@$*!. It is only a issue problem when a person of another race comments/make fun of it. Then it becomes a problem and feelings become hurt and it is offensive.

Again like i said before only a hurt dog hollers. Why would i get upset that someone calls me a child molestor if 1. I dont care what certain ppl label me as. And 2 i know the accusations are false.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Problem is blacks can dish it and cannot take it. Also something cant be offensive unless a person make a conscious decision to be offended by it. So in essence If you notice its usually blacks that make an uproar aka "big deal" about these things. $@$*! dont sit back ponder or even care about issues and events like this. The irony of it all is that these same black ppl ridicule, make fun of and ostricize these same said $@$*!. Then turn around and have a itch fit when someone outside their respective race does it.

Trust that daquan from the hood aint trippen, letting the mockery of some priviledged white kids hurt they feelings, but a person like a bill cosby goes on a tirade, media frenzy about these events. But at the same token (see what i did there) just got off of cnbc making comments and stereotyping the same folks and placing the same characteristics on these said $@$*!. It is only a issue problem when a person of another race comments/make fun of it. Then it becomes a problem and feelings become hurt and it is offensive.

Again like i said before only a hurt dog hollers. Why would i get upset that someone calls me a child molestor if 1. I dont care what certain ppl label me as. And 2 i know the accusations are false.
U bring up some very valid points. I guess I can't put myself in the category b/c I get offended if a person of any race makes attempts to direct stereotypes and stigmas in my direction. Why? Because that's not me and I don't like to be placed in a group, especially groups with negative images.

Also, u know that that's how the world works, at least here in America, a Black person is allowed to use the 'N' word, but no other race is, a whit person from the demographic is allowed to call someone from the same area a redneck but no one else is allowed to do so. It's like u can't talk bad about ur brother all u want but nobody else better not, why? because that is not their brother but urs.

I'm goin to leave with this. Words may die, but the images made by the words don't

Originally Posted by LDJ

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
I like that right there I see it the same way sometimes but I keep in mind that dudes like Al Sharpton are nothing but opportunist when it comes to stuff like that many cats are not offended by this type of behavior because they refuse to let some one of another race ridicule and define them by the $#!% they see on TV

Dathbgboy wrote:
LDJ wrote:

U bring up some very valid points. I guess I can't put myself in the category b/c I get offended if a person of any race makes attempts to direct stereotypes and stigmas in my direction. Why? Because that's not me and I don't like to be placed in a group, especially groups with negative images.

Also, u know that that's how the world works, at least here in America, a Black person is allowed to use the 'N' word, but no other race is, a whit person from the demographic is allowed to call someone from the same area a redneck but no one else is allowed to do so. It's like u can't talk bad about ur brother all u want but nobody else better not, why? because that is not their brother but urs.

I'm goin to leave with this. Words may die, but the images made by the words don't

Why get upset offended by something you know it isnt true about you. If you know that doesnt characterize you, why respond. Ok if i said all ladies come to the front of the stage, if you aint a lady would you come? Of course not because you know this doesnt apply to you.

Also again it isnt negative unless you feel or agree it is. Why is being hood/ghetto etc a bad thing? The ppl who are this way have no problem with it, so why should you. They arent offended, how come you are? The reason being ghetto is deemed a bad thing,classless etc is because white folks told you it is. And you just follow suit and say well if they say it is then by golly it is so. And as far as the whole placing you in a group etc, if these ppl are ignorant enough to stereotype a entire race of people, and characterize stupidity,ignorance etc based on a group of people whose veiws of life,ideals etc arent the same as theirs, then chances are they wont like you approve of you anyhow.

Its like you are stating you want validity from someone who will never do so, and are going over and beyond to react that status of acceptance. Thing is if they truly accepted you, it wouldnt matter how you act,dress,conducted yourself.

Its basically this, we (as in whites) act a certain way, if you arent in the realm of this it is deemed you are as lesser, or of a lower platform. This is only true if you believe it to be.

This isnt a situation of black and white, truth or false. It is a situation of an opinion of a majority, and the response and counteraction of a minority, and how the minority let what the majority think of them condition they thoughts and the way they conduct their lives.

I go to UCSD and I'm a bit ashamed of this. It's still amazing how overblown it's gotten.
And to get facts straight... this was not set up by any student org., or any frats.

Originally Posted by iBlink

Originally Posted by Frische Produkte

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]It's sad that stuff like this takes place, but when some black people are constantly seen acting accordingly (ie; Ghetto chicks start fights and drama, smacking lips, weaves in bad colors, limited vocabulary), then I can't even say much. But college kids doing this? [/color]
smh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] I mean, when will they grow up?[/color]

Didn't you know? College = high school part 2. 
Its just sad because the college students of today are supposed to be the leaders of tomorrow, i know that sounds corny but its true

Originally Posted by LDJ

You are missing one main point.  When a Black person speaks on so called ghetto culture, s(he) is speaking to those specific people and not accusing or assuming that all Blacks act this way.  When a White person speaks on so called ghetto culture, it is not understood whether he is speaking on all Blacks or those specific Blacks.  You can't ignore the history behind the words and activities.

For example, this party was to mock Black history month.  Which means that there is a high probability that the party planners and attendees think all Black people or even the majority act in this manner. 

Is it offensive? Yes.  Am I offended?  I'm offended about as much as when I turn on BET and there's a video with some fat lowlife rapper with gold chains and half naked women shaking their butts.

Originally Posted by Agent0024

racism still alive, they just be concealin it- Kanye

I wonder what would happened if I threw a Poindexter Paddy Party where everybody rolls up in their mom and dad's car with their parents charge card and a bunch of emo/karamo attire, attributes and the whole 29.... despicable that white people are allowed to still openly practice and demonstrate active racism, in relation to an institute of higher learning no less, without so much as an official condemnation or willingness to halt such a disgraceful display of the still-present and prevalent separation between whites and Blaccs....

Thats my opinion and I'm a 26 year old Crip, with gold teeth, and tattoos. My mom is white by the way too and my father originated from African slaves and the indigenous nations of Native Americans that resided here undisturbed until the earth cancer called the caucasoid invaded and raped, pillaged and destroyed thousands of separate cultures co-existing with each other.... so I guess since I used a couple big words I'm not a "real" Crip and I'm just e-banging right? I won't continue this rant but instances like this make me proud to be anti-American, even with a bi-racial President

tired.gif

9b2359c341ac7983687eb5d3f1c873b63a0033f.gif

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by LDJ

You are missing one main point.  When a Black person speaks on so called ghetto culture, s(he) is speaking to those specific people and not accusing or assuming that all Blacks act this way.  When a White person speaks on so called ghetto culture, it is not understood whether he is speaking on all Blacks or those specific Blacks.  You can't ignore the history behind the words and activities.

For example, this party was to mock Black history month.  Which means that there is a high probability that the party planners and attendees think all Black people or even the majority act in this manner. 

Is it offensive? Yes.  Am I offended?  I'm offended about as much as when I turn on BET and there's a video with some fat lowlife rapper with gold chains and half naked women shaking their butts.

It isnt offensive you choose to allow it to offend YOU. If im walking down the street and a dude calls a woman a hoar, i aint offended, why because why do or would i caree what he says to her, it isnt me. Only way i would be offended is if 1, i took it personally(which makes you care/want respect validity from that person) 2. I disagreed with what he said about her, and again it would be my personal view etc thoughts based on what someone told me is offensive.

You bring up videos BET etc. Ok why would you or anyone care if baby lil wayne gucci etc, are slappin itches with wads of cash, smoking weed etc. What does their actions have to do with who i am as a person, or affect my life.

You bring up the whole well this is what alot or a majority of white ppl may think or view of all blacks. But the question still remains why do you care what white ppl think of you? Only reason is to get acceptance. Thats the only reason opinions matter, is to get acceptance approval of someone.

Words arent of a physical matter, they only have substance/inflict pain when the person who hears them give them meaning. So being called a %$#! can only hurt, or be offensive if 1. You value who said it opinion. 2. You take what that person says personal, and give it meaning to be a negative connotation.

the racial undertones are there, no doubt. despite it being 'ghetto-themed,' not 'black-themed.'

but they are there when people do the "country club" (i've been to a party that was 90% or so black where everyone dressed up in stereotypically 'white' clothing, which usually meant a ridiculous amount of pastel polo gear and some khakis or something) or "golf pros tennis %#*%' themed parties too.

and
laugh.gif
@ a gang member who no doubt has commited worse offenses than mocking a group of people getting outraged. you have no room to talk.

These parties happen at every single campus with every frat. Ghetto Mixers. The invitation is funnier then usual, but still. It happens once a week on a campus at least. At least in the SEC black people know pretty much to not rush the white frats. It is just how it is.

Originally Posted by BeallsFinest

I feel sorry for these college kids throwing/attending this party. What's more ignorant, acting "ghetto" as they described it or spending your day obsessing over others while attending a 98% white college? These kids ignorance is pitiful.
98% white college? you definitely don't know about UCSD...

Anyways...SMH at UCSD for this
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Nash

Originally Posted by OctobersFinest

I'm not gonna lie, that invite made me
laugh.gif
 a little.
yeah that was hilarious wasn't it
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

grin.gif
yes, yes it was.

Originally Posted by saviormoneyy

Itsjust sad because the college students of today are supposed to be theleaders of tomorrow, i know that sounds corny but its true
they are the "leaders of tomorrow."  just not the students that attend these parties
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

I'm so mad that no one finds this offensive...ABOVE and beyond the attire, its the MEANING they attributed to the attire they're wearing...this is utterly unacceptable.

I'm with you on this, yea the invitation was done with humor but the underlying racism is appalling. This was actually done in the year of 2010??

To all you black people not offending because what was described is 'not you', these people really truly believe that you are exceptions to the rule (don't know how many times i've heard : black people can be loud but you're cool), anybody else see something wrong with that?

Originally Posted by LDJ

It isnt offensive you choose to allow it to offend YOU. If im walking down the street and a dude calls a woman a hoar, i aint offended, why because why do or would i caree what he says to her, it isnt me. Only way i would be offended is if 1, i took it personally(which makes you care/want respect validity from that person) 2. I disagreed with what he said about her, and again it would be my personal view etc thoughts based on what someone told me is offensive.

You bring up videos BET etc. Ok why would you or anyone care if baby lil wayne gucci etc, are slappin itches with wads of cash, smoking weed etc. What does their actions have to do with who i am as a person, or affect my life.

You bring up the whole well this is what alot or a majority of white ppl may think or view of all blacks. But the question still remains why do you care what white ppl think of you? Only reason is to get acceptance. Thats the only reason opinions matter, is to get acceptance approval of someone.

Words arent of a physical matter, they only have substance/inflict pain when the person who hears them give them meaning. So being called a %$#! can only hurt, or be offensive if 1. You value who said it opinion. 2. You take what that person says personal, and give it meaning to be a negative connotation.
I'm distinguishing between something being offensive and being personally offended.  I can find a man calling a woman a hoar offensive if I just don't want to hear it.  That doesn't mean I'm personally offended. 

I would care about videos because maybe that's not what I want to see.  Just like, maybe I don't want to be around a man calling a woman a hoar.

I would care if someone personally disrespects me.  When someone says all Blacks do this or that, it is a personal attack to all Blacks.

Words do have meaning.  I don't like anybody disrespecting me.  Perhaps you have no problem with just anybody talking to you in any way they see fit, but I do. 

Back
Top Bottom