Update: As of 3/11/2013, Judge ruled to halt Bloomberg's banning of large sodas

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

about time. As a society we've shown that we can't police ourselves and sometimes the government has to step in. not to mention I don't drink soda anyway

*%#+ that nanny state of mind, da hell is wrong with some of ya?I aint fat cuz i know & fully aware of what i put in my body, that doesntMean i wanna rob people into doing whatever da hell they want...Plus people are BIGGER and stronger from da 1950's-& 60'sWhats next, banning jeans larger then size 36? Lol no more XXL shirts? Smh lol

instead of banning large sodas or whatever they should fund educational programs that publish articles and commercials on why products like soda are so bad for you.
and why it is in your best interest to chill out on it (not literally).

this should go for many unhealthy foods and beverages as well as GMO's

Originally Posted by Grizzly Hebert

Sorry.

I'm a grown **+ man. Bloomberg and nobody else is gonna tell me how big my soda can be.

Glad I won't see this type of crap in the south anytime soon.
obesity-rates.jpg

just sayin'. The south needs it the most.

Just don't let them fool you into thinking this is a healthy living motive in an attempt to look after the people.

I bet the execs at Coca Cola and Pepsi Co are all about this.

No ones going to stop consuming 32oz of soda a day. They're just gonna buy two 16oz and spend more by the oz.

Corporations win, poor people lose, the game continues. 

This will surely end obesity. Creeps like this don't want to convince you they're right. They want to ban the alternative view point. Prohibition, after all, has been so historically successful.

[table][tr][td]The Daily Show with Jon Stewart[/td][td]Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c[/td][/tr][tr][td]Drink Different[/td][/tr][tr][td]www.thedailyshow.com[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td][table][tr][td]Daily Show Full Episodes[/td][td]Political Humor & Satire Blog[/td][td]The Daily Show on Facebook[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]The Daily Show with Jon Stewart[/td][td]Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c[/td][/tr][tr][td]Drink Different - Pick Your Poison[/td][/tr][tr][td]www.thedailyshow.com[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td][table][tr][td]Daily Show Full Episodes[/td][td]Political Humor & Satire Blog[/td][td]The Daily Show on Facebook[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]The Colbert Report[/td][td]Mon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c[/td][/tr][tr][td]Michael Bloomberg's Supersized Soda Scheme[/td][/tr][tr][td]www.colbertnation.com[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td][table][tr][td]Colbert Report Full Episodes[/td][td]Political Humor & Satire Blog[/td][td]Video Archive[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

I say let the obese kill themselves with what they eat it's obvious that they don't care about themselves enough to eat right and do better.

And that statement the lady made about buying two small sodas if she can't get one big soda is just proof that they don't care.

So this ban isn't going to do a damn thing.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I don't get banning foods/drinks.

If you're dumb enough to drink a 32oz. big gulp, that's YOUR problem. At some point people have to be responsible for themselves.

i agree but at the same time i believe it should be at a greater cost. health insurance companies should limit coverage for people who eat terribly and are obese. same concept airlines take when they charge these fat bastards for 2 seats instead of one. of course if there is a medical condition that resulted in said obesity then thats diff.

personal responsibility is the issue at hand at the end of the day, but at the same time, obesity is a growing problem, so what does that tell you about people's concerns when it comes to personal health priorities?

lets not forget, the food industry KNOWS this stuff is bad for you. period. word to Food, Inc., regardless if its bad for you, the industry has made it so that its cheaper to buy than healthier food, so anyone saying they aren't to blame is full of %*$!. No1 on earth needs a half gallon or w.e of soft drink with their fries and burger.

and watdafk is this?
Mountain-Dew-A.M..jpg
...and they had a problem with OG 4loko? cmon son...

bloomberg is doing it right imo. when you have a lack of personal responsibility exercised by so many combined with the food industry purposefully capitalizing off of said irresponsibility, it makes sense for 3rd party intervention. people don't care about the consequences until something bad happens, and hospitals and insurance companies foot the bill. obesity x smoking doesn't make for a good argument against lowering health costs.

come at me brethren. im in the mood for a debate....

You know, i like Bloomberg. He should be mayor as long as he wants as long as he's still competent.

Y'all know this is just in restaurants and place regulated by the Department of Health, right? You can still go to the Supermarket, Corner Store, and buy a 2liter if you want. Your combo meal at McDonald's though, will just come with a 16 oz. And I disagree, I doubt as many people as some think, will order a combo that comes with a drink and also another drink.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I don't get banning foods/drinks.

If you're dumb enough to drink a 32oz. big gulp, that's YOUR problem. At some point people have to be responsible for themselves.

i agree but at the same time i believe it should be at a greater cost. health insurance companies should limit coverage for people who eat terribly and are obese. same concept airlines take when they charge these fat bastards for 2 seats instead of one. of course if there is a medical condition that resulted in said obesity then thats diff.

personal responsibility is the issue at hand at the end of the day, but at the same time, obesity is a growing problem, so what does that tell you about people's concerns when it comes to personal health priorities?

lets not forget, the food industry KNOWS this stuff is bad for you. period. word to Food, Inc., regardless if its bad for you, the industry has made it so that its cheaper to buy than healthier food, so anyone saying they aren't to blame is full of %*$!. No1 on earth needs a half gallon or w.e of soft drink with their fries and burger.

and watdafk is this?
Mountain-Dew-A.M..jpg
...and they had a problem with OG 4loko? cmon son...

bloomberg is doing it right imo. when you have a lack of personal responsibility exercised by so many combined with the food industry purposefully capitalizing off of said irresponsibility, it makes sense for 3rd party intervention. people don't care about the consequences until something bad happens, and hospitals and insurance companies foot the bill. obesity x smoking doesn't make for a good argument against lowering health costs.

come at me brethren. im in the mood for a debate....
couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by Nowitzness41

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

instead of banning large sodas or whatever they should fund educational programs that publish articles and commercials on why products like soda are so bad for you.
and why it is in your best interest to chill out on it (not literally).

this should go for many unhealthy foods and beverages as well as GMO's

Wheres that money gonna come from my man- we're broke as hell
All the money is wrapped up in medicare and social security spending on the health issues of people who's health is in the pots due to obesity.

If we look at the map up there, I bet we could find a correlation between states with high quality of living and low obesity and vice versa. If I were bloomburg, I'd just take soda/ junk food off of the list of food you could buy with foodstamps and I bet there would be some results.

The idea behind this is such a joke. I don't know why they are targeting a specific food/drink when there are other sources of obesity. 

Understand the intent and hearts in the right place, but can't support this. Just too much government control and could set precedents for other things down the road. 

Originally Posted by asianplayer

Understand the intent and hearts in the right place, but can't support this. Just too much government control and could set precedents for other things down the road. 

After thinking about this a few days, this is where I'm at.

I like the idea of people not drinking huge soda's... but I'd rather it not be because the4 gov is steppin in and enforcing it

first they'll take away your right to drink big sodas. then they'll take away your right to eat big meals. next thing you know, they'll take away your right to bear arms and free speech!

Back
Top Bottom