Vick and Burress to miss most of 2009 season vol. Give Mike a break

Reaction score
[h1]Sources: Burress, Vick likely to get stiff penalties[/h1]
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports Jun 29, 5:47 pm EDT

• Buzz up!
  • [h5]Print[/h5]

More From Jason Cole

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is leaning toward indefinitely suspending former New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress(notes) and continuing to sideline quarterback Michael Vick(notes), three sources with knowledge of the situations have indicated. Such moves would be the latest examples of Goodell's tough stance on players embroiled in off-field issues as evidenced with the suspension of Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth(notes) earlier this month.

Stallworth has been ruled out indefinitely by the league after pleading guilty to DUI manslaughter in the death of a Miami man in March. Stallworth was sentenced to 30 days in jail, two years of house arrest and reached a financial settlement with the family of the late Mario Reyes.

According to a source with the Giants, the league and another that's close to Vick, Goodell figures to take a similar stance with the quarterback and Burress. Vick, a former starter for the Atlanta Falcons, is scheduled to be released from federal confinement on July 20 after serving 20 months for his part in a dog-fighting ring. A source indicated there was a reasonable likelihood that Vick, suspended indefinitely by the league in August 2007, will not be allowed to play this season and certainly not be with a team in training camp.

Goodell has said multiple times that he wants to see Vick show remorse for his actions. That means Vick may have to follow a strict path of behavior before he's allowed to return.

"[Vick] is not just walking out one day and playing again," the source close to Vick said. "I don't know if he understands that yet, but that's what it looks like right now if you really pay attention. … Yeah, he served his time, but he has to prove himself. When the commissioner talks about wanting to see remorse, he's not kidding."

By contrast, Burress has yet to be indicted on charges that he possessed and fired an unregistered gun in a New York City nightclub in November. However, the slow development of Burress' case - adjourned until September and could be delayed until March, according to Burress' lawyer Benjamin Brafman - may not keep him from being punished by the NFL.

His refusal to accept jail time as part of a plea bargain in the case that resulted in a self-inflicted gun wound and could be punishable by as much as 3½ years has irritated Goodell and others within the NFL, according to the league source.

That situation has left Burress' status up in the air. Agent Drew Rosenhaus said as many as five teams have contacted him about signing Burress. However, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have said they are not interested in the receiver and most teams are still in a holding pattern when it comes to making a real offer because of the unclear status of Burress with the league and the legal system.

"The commissioner would rather have the prosecutors take some action before he does anything, but he's prepared to do something regardless if he has to," the league source said.

Vick has already been through enough... Suspended for a year, served his jail time, and I think that the commissioner is being way to hard on him.IMO what plax did was way worse than what Vick did.... dude just needs to let Vick play again, and earn a living...what do yall think??

http://football.realgm.co...ck_to_miss_most_of_2009/

They both should go play in the CFL or some other league until the commish lets them come back.

god i hate goddell.....a commish w/ southern conservative values
smh.gif

i hate Goodell for this reason, everytime someone gets a traffic ticket or something, hes out on his power trip.... quit being a crappy commissioner and go bea cop... and whats this nonsense about extending the season, playing more games overseas, superbowl in London???? get this guy out of here.... these are themost ridiculous changes in the world... if it happens, i think it would be really bad for the NFL.... god bring back PAUL T.!!!

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

god i hate goddell.....a commish w/ southern conservative values
smh.gif
He is a New Yorker, those cats have to claim him.

why does he feel he is part of the law? I dont understand what shooting yourself with a gun in the leg has anything to do with playing football.

Just curious, but why do so many people have such an undying love for Vick? What has he done that has so endeared him with people like he seems to be? I justdon't see what is so special about this guy that so many people come rushing to his rescue, can someone fill me in?

Originally Posted by Tarvald Drama Chase

i hate Goodell for this reason, everytime someone gets a traffic ticket or something, hes out on his power trip.... quit being a crappy commissioner and go be a cop... and whats this nonsense about extending the season, playing more games overseas, superbowl in London???? get this guy out of here.... these are the most ridiculous changes in the world... if it happens, i think it would be really bad for the NFL.... god bring back PAUL T.!!!

Goodell is a freaking dictator, I know he's commish and all but dude acts like he's Caesar up there, Vick payed his dues to society in REAL jail, letthe dude back in...

Meh... You get in trouble you know you're gonna be missing games...

These two, and the Stallworth deal, are the most high profile run-ins with the law (and CONVICTIONS, unlike most cases with PacMan/Henry) since Goodell tookover... You think he's gonna let these slip through unscathed? Come on...

MAN THIS IS RIDICULOUS....

Vick is lucky they didnt put him on DEATHROW with the way theyre acting....

GODDELL probly dont want to let him back in anyway, so hes gonna make it even more difficult...

So hes going to be punished twice for the same thing...???

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

These two, and the Stallworth deal, are the most high profile run-ins with the law (and CONVICTIONS, unlike most cases with PacMan/Henry) since Goodell took over... You think he's gonna let these slip through unscathed? Come on...
That's the thing though, these guys are actually going to serve or in Vick's case have served jail time, where PacMan/Chris Henrydidn't. They will have already been punished for their actions unlike Pacman and Henry, so why does this power hungry idiot feels that they have to provesomething to him and do basically double jeopardy even though it's not a court of law?

this is how insecure people act when they get a taste of power.

(gonna be funny/sad when most of NT gets management positions one day
laugh.gif
grin.gif
)

Vick payed his dues to society in REAL jail
He paid his debt to society, but he hasn't paid his debt to the NFL.

One can't qualify as the other.

I want to see him back, too, but I mean, I get it.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

That's the thing though, these guys are actually going to serve or in Vick's case have served jail time, where PacMan/Chris Henry didn't. They will have already been punished for their actions unlike Pacman and Henry, so why does this power hungry idiot feels that they have to prove something to him and do basically double jeopardy even though it's not a court of law?
PacMan and Henry never served time because they were never convicted... How is that Goodell's problem? I don't see how that'srelevant...

He's an EMPLOYER. If I served jail time for shredding dogs or shooting a hole in my own leg with an unregistered gun in the middle of a club, Iwouldn't have a job when I got out. Period. Why should this be any different? My employer wouldn't sit around and wait for me to get out of prison, andthen throw my job right back in my lap upon my release...

You get in trouble, there are repercussions and consequences, both with the government and in your personal/work life... That's life. Get used to it.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

But wasnt he ALREADY suspended by the NFL when this 1st happened...???

Not bein sracastic, serious question....Was he already suspended by the NFL???

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

What exactly is Vick's DEBT to the NFL?

Originally Posted by Tarvald Drama Chase

[h1]
[/h1]

His refusal to accept jail time as part of a plea bargain in the case that resulted in a self-inflicted gun wound and could be punishable by as much as 3½ years has irritated Goodell and others within the NFL, according to the league source.

This part really bothers me(if true).

He's irritated because the man is trying to avoid jail time. W T F?
smh.gif

I'd said all of what Nowitness just posted if I wasn't on the bb...some of yall need a dose of reality. Don't give me this "earn aliving" crap. These dudes are lucky that will be back in the NFL...and I'm sure, esp. Vick, that they're grateful for that oppurtunity...and willhopefully be thankful for it.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

These two, and the Stallworth deal, are the most high profile run-ins with the law (and CONVICTIONS, unlike most cases with PacMan/Henry) since Goodell took over... You think he's gonna let these slip through unscathed? Come on...
unscathed? Michael Vick was sitting in a jail cell for the past 2 years. what more is Goodell looking for.. he's just going on another one ofhis patented power trips.
eyes.gif

I want to see him back, too, but I mean, I get it.a
uhhhhh do you not remember him being suspended for the entire 08 season?

Back
Top Bottom