Vick and Burress to miss most of 2009 season vol. Give Mike a break

I love these threads where everyone acts as if they are the greatest saint in the history of mankind.

Acting as if Vick should remain behind bars forever is just a silly pov imo.

%@$* Goodell

Originally Posted by Tarvald Drama Chase

Also....Stop comparing Vick to Stallworth...they are two totally different cases/circumstances.
exactly, Stallworth committed a more heinous crime than vick... not only was he driving drunk, but he KILLED A PERSON....michael vick killed dogs.... a dogs life is nothing compared to a person....

I suggest you read up as to WHY Mike Vick was in prison in the first place...

Mike did his time and I truly believe he has been through enough to understand his opportunities... as for the other players, they should be punished.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Is he still killing dogs now? I could have sworn that he was working with the humane society and kids from what I read a few days ago. Also if it was me, I'm almost positive that I'd be fired and not given an opportunity to return to that job anyway, we all know professional sports doesn't work that way.

And finally what I really have a problem with is the notion that I heard today on ESPN that Vick has to PROVE to Goodell that he has remorse for what he did. Seriously, how is he supposed to do that? Is Goodell going to read his mind to see, bottom line is that punishing him further for another year accomplishes what? Vick will just go play in the CFL or something and then presumably comeback the following season, still with dogfighting attached to him, what is the comish going to do then? This stigma will ALWAYS be with Vick and PETA and the others who don't want him back will probably still not want him back, so I fail to see what this is changing.
Bold: It doesn't? It obviously is... Because that's EXACTLY what you're griping about...
laugh.gif

Italics: Why SHOULDN'T you have to prove to an employer, through whatever means possible, that you've changed for the better and put your past behind you? The notion that you shouldn't have to is ******ed. This notion that Michael Vick should just be able to walk out of prison and back into an NFL gig is unbelievably ignorant...

Why is Michael Vick different from any other man or woman walking out of prison fresh off a sentence?
You in here speaking the truth. Mad props

Originally Posted by OB87

if you notice Matt Jones has had multiple run ins with the law and got caught with coke recently..no suspension just a fine though for his latest act..Pacman Jones got into a fight with his own security they wanted to kick him out the league for life.
The NFL suspended Jones for three weeks for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He was in the lineup for Week 8, pending anappeal.[sup][3][/sup] On December 9,2008, the NFL upheld Jones' three-game suspension which caused him to miss the rest ofthe season.[sup][4]

[/sup]
Originally Posted by SHUGES

I love these threads where everyone acts as if they are the greatest saint in the history of mankind.

%@$* Goodell
Nobody is acting like Vick should be in jail forever. Most of yall are too remedial to understand what is going on.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

And you still didn't answer how is he supposed to prove that he's changed; Vick is the only one who truly knows if he's changed as a person. You don't think he's had time to think about what he did the past two years in a jail cell and that if he hasn't changed, somehow being out of football for another year is going to lead to an epiphany or something? Goodell can do all the interviews and inquiries he wants...it's just sounds like power hungriness to me.
Look... I don't know how he's gonna do it... But I assume, just as he did with PacMan, Goodell will lay out the terms for Michael Vick asto how he can earn back the privilege of being an NFL player...

%@$* Goodell
He SHOULDN'T remain behind bars... He did his time for the government, he's paid that debt, probably more than was right...

But you don't just walk out of prison and back into the laps of luxury... Sorry, I don't feel like he should be afforded the opportunity the minute hesteps out... Yeah, he deserves to have another chance, but EARN it... Go out and do work in the community... Go speak to children at schools or communitycenters/summer camps about your mistakes and their consequences...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

%@$* Goodell
He SHOULDN'T remain behind bars... He did his time for the government, he's paid that debt, probably more than was right...

But you don't just walk out of prison and back into the laps of luxury... Sorry, I don't feel like he should be afforded the opportunity the minute he steps out... Yeah, he deserves to have another chance, but EARN it... Go out and do work in the community... Go speak to children at schools or community centers/summer camps about your mistakes and their consequences...

Updated: June 30, 2009, 3:52 PM ET

[h2]Vick to work at Boys & Girls Clubs[/h2]

Comment Email Print ESPN.com news services

NORFOLK, Va. -- Suspended NFL star Michael Vick is leaving a job with a Virginiaconstruction company to work with youngsters at Boys & Girls Clubs.

Steven Kast, CEO of the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula, says Vick will be working with children on health and fitness activities atseveral clubs in the Hampton Roads area. Vick was a regular at the Boys & Girls Club in Newport News as a youngster.

"We were disappointed by some of his recent actions and decisions but believe he has learned from these experiences and is now conscious of hisobligations and responsibilities as a prominent sports figure that impacts and influences our kids," Kast said in a written statement.

Vick needed a job to meet the conditions of his probation and had been working as a $10-an-hour laborer.

Vick's lawyers were in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Norfolk on Tuesday. Attorney Paul Campsen outlined the highlights of Vick's revised bankruptcy plan,which was still being drafted, at a status hearing. Campsen assured U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Frank J. Santoro that he will have no trouble filing the document byThursday's deadline.

Santoro in April rejected Vick's first Chapter 11 plan, saying it was not feasible. Among his concerns was that the plan depended heavily on Vickreturning to the NFL and that Vick was trying to hang on to too many assets. His first bankruptcy plan would have allowed him to keep the first $750,000 of hisannual salary, and Vick also intended to keep two houses and several cars.

The revised bankruptcy plan would funnel more of Vick's future pay to his creditors and ensure that they receive a portion of his earnings even if hedoesn't return to the league.

Under the new plan, 10 percent of the first $750,000 Vick earns would go to creditors, and he's agreed to liquidate a house under construction inVirginia. If Vick doesn't return to the NFL, the new plan would give creditors a portion of whatever he earns from a lower-paying job.

His prospects for playing again in the NFL rest with league commissioner Roger Goodell, who has said he will review the matter after Vick completes his23-month federal sentence for operating a dogfighting ring.

Vick's legal troubles wrecked his finances as well as his reputation. Once the NFL's highest-paid player, Vick filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcyprotection in July 2008, listing assets of $16 million and liabilities of $20.4 million.

Under the bankruptcy plan, creditors would get a percentage of any income above $750,000 per year, and their cut has increased under the revisions. Thesliding-scale percentages would be increased as follows: $750,000 to $2.5 million in earnings, from 20 percent under the old plan to 25 percent under the newone; $2.5 million to $10 million, from 25 percent to 30 percent; over $10 million, from 33 percent to 40 percent.

Ross Reeves, attorney for a committee representing Vick's unsecured creditors, said the committee supports the plan.

"The committee's view has been that these numbers are based on Mr. Vick being highly incentivized not only to re-enter the NFL but to stick withit," Reeves said.

Campsen said Vick will also liquidate his $2 million home under construction in Suffolk. Santoro suggested in April that Vick sell one of his two Virginiahomes. The Hampton home is assessed at $748,100, according to city tax records.

The revised plan will also settle a dispute between Vick and his former agent, Joel Enterprises Inc. Joel won a $4.6 million judgment against Vick in abreach of contract case and had been fighting to collect before the former Atlanta Falconsquarterback's unsecured creditors are paid. Campsen said Joel will now get $6 million but will be treated as an unsecured creditor, getting paid a littleat a time.

Santoro also approved the sale of two bass boats and three larger fishing boats owned by Vick.

A confirmation hearing on Vick's new plan is tentatively scheduled for Aug. 27.

grin.gif
Thing is he is starting to do it an making an effort to do otherthings to help the community as well such as work with the humane shelter and other organizations, yet still Goodell probably wont see this as good enoughproof or as a real showing for remorse and will suspend him for the season anyway. It's just not right.

Originally Posted by Tarvald Drama Chase

i hate Goodell for this reason, everytime someone gets a traffic ticket or something, hes out on his power trip.... quit being a crappy commissioner and go be a cop... and whats this nonsense about extending the season, playing more games overseas, superbowl in London???? get this guy out of here.... these are the most ridiculous changes in the world... if it happens, i think it would be really bad for the NFL.... god bring back PAUL T.!!!

Goodell has said multiple times that he wants to see Vick show remorse for his actions. That means Vick may have to follow a strict path of behavior before he's allowed to return.

how hard does he think it is to get over dogfighting especially with jail time behind? what he thinks it's like a drug or something?

Tarvald Drama Chase wrote:
Vick has already been through enough... Suspended for a year, served his jail time, and I think that the commissioner is being way to hard on him...dude just needs to let Vick play again, and earn a living

Indeed...
ffcbad5b350cfaae6b77bd456ae24d6a.gif

Let my fool play...
173.gif
173.gif

I don't hate Goodell and I think he has cleaned up the league. I wish instead of suspending Vick indefinitely and possibly taking away an entire season. Heshould do his research over the next month or so. If he likes what he sees and still thinks Vick should have a suspension of some sort then put a definiteamount of time on it so a team can possibly pick him up and put him in camp. That would help out everyone as Vick probably won't be in game shape by thestart of the season anyway and he can actually latch on with a team. If teams don't know when his suspension will be done then they will not pick him upuntil after.

all I can say is the real crime that Burress commited was wearing sweatpants in the club. that is completely unacceptable

%@$* Goodell
eek.gif
at me actually agreeing with shuges on something

sick.gif

laugh.gif

+@%% Goodell

I actually just came home from a prison bid 11 days ago so I can relate to the Vick situation.

I can't go back to the company I was working for and slide right back into my 6 figure job. In fact, it may take me a couple of years before I'll evenbegin to sniff the amount of money I was making.

The thing is I knew the consequences of my actions so I can't expect anything, from here on out, to be handed to me on a silver platter so pardon me if Ifeel that Goodell is justified in his ruling.

The funny thing is, while you clowns are crucifying Goodell for his decisions, I can almost guarantee that Vick is ok with everything Goodell is laying out forhim and is just happy to be out of prison. There's more to life than just %#+!@#% football and I'm sure Vick has come to realize that and is actuallygetting something out of the various community services/jobs he's performing.

Originally Posted by truthteller

PEOPLE ARE TOO FOCUSED ON HOW MUCH MONEY THESE ATHLETES MAKE...

Stop comparing this to your job...

Yes theyr overpaid to most people, but that isnt the point...

As long as people know they make tons of money, theyll always get looked at unfairly...
It has nothing to do with the money they make, it has to do with their employer (the NFL) and the image these guys project for that employer. Mostindustries wouldn't even think twice about canning someone for committing felonies like Vick, so these athletes should be thankful they only getsuspensions. For a long time people complained and made fun of the NFL for letting its players off easy (while the NBA had the supposed image problem). Now weall want to go back to the days of getting a slap on the wrist because it's happening to NT's favorite player. Can't have it both ways.

You mad at the situation? Then take it out on the players. You know how the league works. It's not that hard to not be a criminal. And Goodell knows 98% ofthe league are decent citizens and you weed out the garbage who give the L a bad name.

Roger basically said he hasnt decided yet what's going on. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom