~~| [Video] Dom Kennedy - 1997 (Off That "From The Westside, With Love) |~~

I thought it was cool...definitely makes more sense after reading what the director said. The whole "chilling around the way with flashback pics" video might have been ok, but it would've also been kind of safe and predictable.

I thought it was cool...definitely makes more sense after reading what the director said. The whole "chilling around the way with flashback pics" video might have been ok, but it would've also been kind of safe and predictable.

Originally Posted by DUB 253

^That definitely makes me appreciate the concept of the video more. Good !$*$.
pimp.gif

I actually feel stupid for not picking up on that myself...
laugh.gif

Yea See... About that...

The fact that you had to read that, be told that to appreciate that is not whats up. I mean no diss to the homie Dom or the director, I wish them nothing but the best and I love that track but the video left a lot to be desired imo especially when you compare it Menace Beach
ohwell.gif

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

Yea See... About that...

The fact that you had to read that, be told that to appreciate that is not whats up. I mean no diss to the homie Dom or the director, I wish them nothing but the best and I love that track but the video left a lot to be desired imo especially when you compare it Menace Beach
ohwell.gif

Take this as constructive criticism

There are a few things that leave me scratching my head re-watching the video and reading the directors comments.
 You cant have her reject all these materialistic things (the ballons, the roses, the not seen cupcake), and have her at the end of the video hop into the whip and say to us "see, she just wants Dom, none of that other stuff".
Actually, what the hell is the symbolism in the roses? the cupcake?
I mention this since the comments make reference to the 4 ballons = 4 projects.

And the reveal, this being the woman being the metaphor for the game, leaves a lot to be desired to say the least. If they would have done this at the end, it would have at least given a more dramatic effect to the video. But by showing her throughout the video, you've lost the cinematic impact that I expect they were going for. Actually, it's not much of a reveal at all...the sole purpose of a reveal is to inform the viewer of something significant, something obscure that later makes sense. All we see is a chick in a black tank top, and the only way anyone is supposed to get the metaphor are 4 ballons that u have to replay to even count and make the loose connection of it being symbolic of your mixtapes.

I get the whole "left field", "switching the game", "raising the bar" thing, and it is indicative of the type of artist Dom is/wants to become, and I also appreciate him not dumbing down the visual element and being literal like others wanted it to be. No doubt in a sea of underground rappers at every turn, he stands out
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

What we see and come up with in our head, is not necessarily what comes across in the end result. That's what I get in watching the video and reading the comments

Take this as constructive criticism

There are a few things that leave me scratching my head re-watching the video and reading the directors comments.
 You cant have her reject all these materialistic things (the ballons, the roses, the not seen cupcake), and have her at the end of the video hop into the whip and say to us "see, she just wants Dom, none of that other stuff".
Actually, what the hell is the symbolism in the roses? the cupcake?
I mention this since the comments make reference to the 4 ballons = 4 projects.

And the reveal, this being the woman being the metaphor for the game, leaves a lot to be desired to say the least. If they would have done this at the end, it would have at least given a more dramatic effect to the video. But by showing her throughout the video, you've lost the cinematic impact that I expect they were going for. Actually, it's not much of a reveal at all...the sole purpose of a reveal is to inform the viewer of something significant, something obscure that later makes sense. All we see is a chick in a black tank top, and the only way anyone is supposed to get the metaphor are 4 ballons that u have to replay to even count and make the loose connection of it being symbolic of your mixtapes.

I get the whole "left field", "switching the game", "raising the bar" thing, and it is indicative of the type of artist Dom is/wants to become, and I also appreciate him not dumbing down the visual element and being literal like others wanted it to be. No doubt in a sea of underground rappers at every turn, he stands out
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

What we see and come up with in our head, is not necessarily what comes across in the end result. That's what I get in watching the video and reading the comments

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

Yea See... About that...

ohwell.gif
what he said

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

Yea See... About that...

ohwell.gif
what he said

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

Yea See... About that...

ohwell.gif

This.

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

Yea See... About that...

ohwell.gif

This.

Yea See... About that...

The fact that you had to read that, be told that to appreciate that is not whats up.
agreed, but I liked it anyway. his music is good enough to not wait on a video imo.

Yea See... About that...

The fact that you had to read that, be told that to appreciate that is not whats up.
agreed, but I liked it anyway. his music is good enough to not wait on a video imo.

Back
Top Bottom