• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I should probably know this, but is there a way for me to root my Nexus 5 and not unlock the bootloader? I want to stay on stock rom, and continue to get OTA updates from Google, but would like to use some apps that require root. Is this possible?

Nope.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Couldnt you just get the OTA then root it again afterwards?
Yeah, but why not just root and flash the update yourself?
Thats what I plan on doing once a major update comes out, I.E 5.0, I was just asking for my education. I'm still for all intents and purposes, an android noob.

Is anybody having issues with their G2 overheating? I usually leave it under my pillow fully charged so the alarm can wake me up. But lately I have been noticing that it's been getting hot for no reason and when I wake up my battery went from 100% down to 80%.

Dude you got it under a pil
?????

Electronics need to breathe brodie
I used to do the same thing with my Nexus 4 and it never had that problem

Thats what I plan on doing once a major update comes out, I.E 5.0, I was just asking for my education. I'm still for all intents and purposes, an android noob.

Dog, Android 5.0 ain't coming out for a long time. :lol: (ICS = 4.0, Jelly Bean = 4.1 - 4.3, Kit Kat = 4.4. ICS came out in 2012.)

Like Nawzlew Nawzlew said, itd be pretty counter productive to relock the boot loader, get the OTA, and then root again. A lot of devs make nightly builds from source... I've seen ROMs built from the most recent OTA that are rooted and optimized as early as 6 hours after initial release. Idk about you, I'd rather just keep the bootloader unlocked wait the day or two. :lol:

Last edited:

I should probably know this, but is there a way for me to root my Nexus 5 and not unlock the bootloader? I want to stay on stock rom, and continue to get OTA updates from Google, but would like to use some apps that require root. Is this possible?

Nope.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Couldnt you just get the OTA then root it again afterwards?

Yeah, but why not just root and flash the update yourself?

Yeah, 5.0 is probably a while off.

I'd suggest to just root/unlock bootloader and flash the updates yourself.

Dog, Android 5.0 ain't coming out for a long time.
laugh.gif
(ICS = 4.0, Jelly Bean = 4.1 - 4.3, Kit Kat = 4.4. ICS came out in 2012.)

Like @Nawzlew said, itd be pretty counter productive to relock the boot loader, get the OTA, and then root again. A lot of devs make nightly builds from source... I've seen ROMs built from the most recent OTA that are rooted and optimized as early as 6 hours after initial release. Idk about you, I'd rather just keep the bootloader unlocked wait the day or two.
laugh.gif
Oh really? Thought they were just gonna do an IOS thing at some point and just skip the minor updates and go all out. Guess not :lol: :lol:.

I'm already rooted and stuff so this is not an issue for me.

I can't say I remember. I think I flashed the official OTA tho (post root)

Do you guys usually dirty flash nightlies?

Last edited:
I rooted mine just so I can use Greenify and I still get OTA. You should ask the guys in XDA in the N5 section. Some guy told me how but I forgot what I did.
laugh.gif
 Did it on RD when I 1st got my phone.

Via androidcentral.com

Canadian HTC One M8 updated with Extreme Power Saving and camera tweaks

Following similar updates by some of the U.S. carriers, the first software upgrade for the HTC One M8 has started to arrive in Canada. We're seeing an update to version 1.55.631.4 on our Rogers M8, which adds the new power-saving feature alongside "camera and gallery feature enhancements."

Extreme Power Saving mode was available on European HTC One M8 devices at launch, but handsets in the U.S. had to wait for an over-the-air update. From our HTC One M8 review, here's a quick rundown of what the super-low-power mode actually does:

Basically it shuts down all connections but still allows phone calls and texts to come through. You can manually refresh e-mail if you want — but only in HTC's e-mail app. Your smartphone essentially is turned into a dumb phone. And to make sure you don't cheat and try to actually make it do things, the M8 gets a new home EXTREME home screen, with shortcuts to the Phone, Messages, Mail, Calendar and Calculator apps. To exit EXTREME mode, you'll need to hit the dedicated "Exit" button.

HTC says that with only 5 percent battery remaining, you can eke out 15 hours in this EXTREME mode. On a full battery? It'll last something like a dozen days. We'd consider this to be more of an emergency mode than EXTREME, however.
Camera enhancements? Say word :nerd:

I rooted mine just so I can use Greenify and I still get OTA. You should ask the guys in XDA in the N5 section. Some guy told me how but I forgot what I did.
laugh.gif
 Did it on RD when I 1st got my phone.
You will still get the updates but you will have to flash them from xda.. 9 times out of 10 the xda forum willhave the update before it even hit our device

[h1]LG G3 cases go on sale, reveal curious back design[/h1]
24 April, 2014 | Comments (12)  | Post your comment

Tags: LGAndroidRumors

big.jpg

Alleged plastic cases for the upcoming LG G3  have surfaced and are currently on sale at wholesale retailer Aliexpress.

The holes on the cases give us a pretty good idea of the phone's port and button layouts. LG will be keeping its rear-mounted Power/Lock and volume rocker keys with the rumored 13MP camera on top. Interestingly, there are two adjacent square cut holes on its left and right sides.

Almost certainly one of them is going to be for the LED flash, while the other could be for either a secondary LED flash or some kind of a sensor (heart rate monitor or a fingerprint scanner are some options that sprint to mind). The main speaker is below the rear-mounted controls.

At the bottom left of the cases, there's room for the antenna of the DMB-H-equipped Korean version of the phone, the 3.5mm jack is at the bottom next to the microUSB port. What seems to be a cut hole for an IR blaster is at the top, while the left and right sides are bare of any controls.

Recent rumors claim the LG G3 is going to be based on the recently leaked Japanese LG isai FL. The Japan-only smartphone sports a quad-core Snapdragon 801 SoC, clocked at 2.5GHz, a 5.5-inch LCD rumored to have 2560x1440 resolution, 2GB RAM, 32GB internal memory with microSD support, 3000mAh battery, and an IPX7 rating, which means it is water resistant.

The LG G3 puzzle is slowly but surely coming together, as earlier in the week we received screenshotstaken from the phone. They're from the brand new Optimus UI running on top of Android 4.4.2 KitKat and shows the new design direction in which the company is taking its user interface.

Variations of the LG G3 case

Gonna try the new Hangouts for a few days and see if I like it.

I wish it had themes. I dont like white backgrounds for most things. 

nexusae0_thumbnail_thumb.jpg

The Merging is cool, but only two people I know actually use hangouts anyways. It has the potential to jump off if hangouts becomes the dominant messaging app, but would really take over if for some reason people abandoned imessage for it (Which will never happen)

The group messaging seems to work better though. Way less dropped messages. Performance wise its on par with Textra, but doenst have nearly as many of the bells and whistles

BOTH APPS NEED WORD SEARCH BADLY

I actually keep stock messaging on my phones for that sole purpose. I dont delete texts often and I sometimes go back and read what people said for proof.

Last edited:
Been out of the loop. Did ninja get permabanned or something? Everyone is talking like he's dead.

Back
Top Bottom