Walmart security guard shoots 'shoplifting' mother dead in parking lot as she tries to escape with t

If you are not terrorist concocting plans to destroy america, then you shouldn't be bothered by homeland security listening to your phone conversations. Right?
If you are an upstanding citizen with nothing to hide, then you shouldn't be bothered by legislation that makes internet surveillance permissible and legal, right?
See where I am going with this?
I have a right to refuse to be searched and held against my will. If you have evidence against me, let the proper authorities handle it. Those who have the ability to detain me in the name of the law. A security guard at Walmart DOES NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY nor THE ABILITY. They can ask you to stop so they can search you, but if you refuse, they have to let you go and summon the proper authorities. This is in their contract. This is why they can't come and chase after you.

he doesnt suddenly stop being a cop because hes working detail at walmart. he can detain them...he was the proper authority to deal with it. she ignored that

do people not see the psychological point of view? i mean dam, i understand they are stealing some clothes and thats against the law, but does that warrant an officer to shoot to kill? 

i dont think some clothes is ever that serious.. i put myself in their situation and they acted accordingly, they stole some clothes and wanted to get away so they ran off in that car and didnt want no one to stop them.. that course of action and mindstate is reasonable to me..

now im trying to put myself in the cops situation, his job is to uphold the law, and he obviously tried to do his job , but when he pulls a gun out to shoot at some women stealing clothes, his whole decision making process seems a little sick. thats the measure our law goes to , to enforce the law over some petty theft? what are these officers thinking?

we are no better than those people in africa that kill and burn people over stolen cellphones or stealing some food.... im laughing at democracy right now.. and whats really funny is how no matter what, the law abiding officers are always right because the government says so.. lol.. 

Some of you are unbelievable, really.
Fact is, he's a murderer-plain and simple.
As has already being stated, there are specific rules regarding matters such as these if you are working "security" at Walmart, Target, and the like.
The rule is, under NO CIRCUMSTANCE are you to chase after and try to apprehend suspected shoplifters. If you suspect shoplifting, simply call the proper authorities and let them handle the situation. Walmart is now very liable, and rightfully so, because sergeant slaughter over there was too trigger happy.

"If she hadn't shoplifted she wouldn't be dead"...really now?...:smh:
Well if he hadn't tried to stop her, she wouldn't have ALLEGEDLY tried to run him over...ALLEGEDLY. Remember, the sheriff's department will say whatever it must to justify the use of deadly force by one of it's officers so as to avoid criticism. Law enforcement agencies do it ALL THE TIME.
Lastly, reading these responses, I can't help but wonder just how much her race has affected y'all opinions. I'm sure if she was some blonde-haired, blue-eyed suburban mom from middle america, the tune being sung would be different.

I'm gonna guess you didn't take the time out to read the article or any replies.

From what I pick up on the article, Campbell is a cop. So does an off duty cop have the power to act as a cop when he's picking up a shift at Wal Mart? Was he dressed in his cop uniform (off duty cops hired by stores in my area dress in their police uniforms) that allows people to identify him as a cop?

do people not see the psychological point of view? i mean dam, i understand they are stealing some clothes and thats against the law, but does that warrant an officer to shoot to kill? 
i dont think some clothes is ever that serious.. i put myself in their situation and they acted accordingly, they stole some clothes and wanted to get away so they ran off in that car and didnt want no one to stop them.. that course of action and mindstate is reasonable to me..

now im trying to put myself in the cops situation, his job is to uphold the law, and he obviously tried to do his job , but when he pulls a gun out to shoot at some women stealing clothes, his whole decision making process seems a little sick. thats the measure our law goes to , to enforce the law over some petty theft? what are these officers thinking?

we are no better than those people in africa that kill and burn people over stolen cellphones or stealing some food.... im laughing at democracy right now.. and whats really funny is how no matter what, the law abiding officers are always right because the government says so.. lol.. 

so its okay to steal if its not worth a lot? its a very slippery slope...

If you are not terrorist concocting plans to destroy america, then you shouldn't be bothered by homeland security listening to your phone conversations. Right?
If you are an upstanding citizen with nothing to hide, then you shouldn't be bothered by legislation that makes internet surveillance permissible and legal, right?
I have a right to refuse to be searched and held against my will. If you have evidence against me, let the proper authorities handle it. Those who have the ability to detain me in the name of the law. A security guard at Walmart DOES NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY nor THE ABILITY. They can ask you to stop so they can search you, but if you refuse, they have to let you go and summon the proper authorities. This is in their contract. This is why they can't come and chase after you.

Do you not understand that the security was an OFFICER (armed and has the authority to uphold the law)?

Some of you are unbelievable, really.
Fact is, he's a murderer-plain and simple.
As has already being stated, there are specific rules regarding matters such as these if you are working "security" at Walmart, Target, and the like.
The rule is, under NO CIRCUMSTANCE are you to chase after and try to apprehend suspected shoplifters. If you suspect shoplifting, simply call the proper authorities and let them handle the situation. Walmart is now very liable, and rightfully so, because sergeant slaughter over there was too trigger happy.
"If she hadn't shoplifted she wouldn't be dead"...really now?...:smh:
Well if he hadn't tried to stop her, she wouldn't have ALLEGEDLY tried to run him over...ALLEGEDLY. Remember, the sheriff's department will say whatever it must to justify the use of deadly force by one of it's officers so as to avoid criticism. Law enforcement agencies do it ALL THE TIME.
Lastly, reading these responses, I can't help but wonder just how much her race has affected y'all opinions. I'm sure if she was some blonde-haired, blue-eyed suburban mom from middle america, the tune being sung would be different.

nothing but apologies for a thief who was not even supposed to be on the property. And the subtle race baiting was a nice touch. And this is why society is how it is. stop apologizing and making excuses and hold people accountable. she ran with a crowd that used deadly force on a police officer while she was trying to flee from arrest.

Yes, she should have been made accountable, BY THE PROPER AUTHORITIES, IN A COURT OF LAW-- not by bullets of a trigger happy security security guard.

Making her accountable =/= sanctioning murder and/or lauding her death.

I'll gladly apologize for a thief if his/her fate is death. We're justifying the cold-murder of petty thieves now--shame on you and anyone who thinks like you.

From what I pick up on the article, Campbell is a cop. So does an off duty cop have the power to act as a cop when he's picking up a shift at Wal Mart? Was he dressed in his cop uniform (off duty cops hired by stores in my area dress in their police uniforms) that allows people to identify him as a cop?

Yes. he was in uni and yes he is still a cop. its 24/7

Last edited by a moderator:
they need psyche evaluations for cops, security guards, and the likes cause a lot of them have some serious issues.
She stole and was getting away with it while you chased her.
God forbid you take down her license plate, and go to the police. :rolleyes

Man, do people not read? They just assume and run with it. The security was AN OFFICER!

Yes, she should have been made accountable, BY THE PROPER AUTHORITIES, IN A COURT OF LAW-- not by bullets of a trigger happy security security guard.
Making her accountable =/= sanctioning murder and/or lauding her death.
I'll gladly apologize for a thief if his/her fate is death. We're justifying the cold-murder of petty thieves now--shame on you and anyone who thinks like you.

they put the cops life in danger. If i should be ashamed for wanting to survive and not being a deadbeat thief so be it.

I'm gonna have to see this video if there is one. I'm convinced some of u don't have it all up there. If you fear for your life you don't aim for the sidekick you take out the threat. In this case the threat is the driver of the vechicle.

Do you not understand that the security was an OFFICER (armed and has the authority to uphold the law)?

He was an off-duty officer in the employment of Walmart, where there are specific rules about his position. His contractual obligations stipulate that he NOT pursue shoplifters, and rather defer to ON-DUTY police officers.

Get that?

1. He was off-duty.

2. He was bounded by his contract with Walmart to not chase after shoplifters.

3. He was bounded by the same contract to defer to ON-DUTY officers.

Last edited:
so its okay to steal if its not worth a lot? its a very slippery slope...
your right, its definitely not ok to steal, be it a small or big amount of things.. but when you tell me that we have cops shootin at women over some clothes, then that judgement call is all wrong to me.. this wasnt some bank robbers or some home invasion situation, its some dam walmart clothes

He was an off-duty officer in the employment of Walmart, where there are specific rules about his position. His contractual obligations stipulate that he NOT pursue shoplifters, and rather defer to ON-DUTY police officers.
Get that?
1. He was off-duty?

hes not bound by any of those things. he is a law enforcement official. Because he didnt follow walmart protocol that dorsnt mean he did anything wrong or illegal. he just may not be able to work detail anymore.

it sucks that it had to end like that, but she shouldve never put herself in that position. 

unwarranted to kill her for shoplifting hope the cop does some time in this case

Get that?
1. He was off-duty?

LOL, again read the article before you reply with anything please. 'We hire off duty officers to provide security to some of our stores. While we have policies in place for our associates to disengage from situations that might put them or others in harm's way, off-duty officers working at a WM store are authorized to act in accordance with their department's code of conduct.'

He had authority to do what he did even when he is off duty.

Get that?
1. He was off-duty?
Please read post #55 and the last paragraph of the article.

Yes. he was in uni and yes he is still a cop. its 24/7

No, working for Walmart security doesn't grant you the same powers you maintain as a regular cop.

Walmart, Target, Kmart. etc are Corporations that are liable for civil suits. Consequently, they have rules in place to prevent their security officers from putting them in a position of liability. I know this because I use to work in one of these stores and was aware of the rules (which actually apply to all employees of the store, not just security).

So irrespective of whether this dude was a cop during the day, the fact is, once he donned that uniform identifying him as a WALMART SECURITY officer, he was contractually obligated to follow their rules and regulations, which he broke to shambles, and not that of his day job.

Back
Top Bottom