Walmart security guard shoots 'shoplifting' mother dead in parking lot as she tries to escape with t

So irrespective of whether this dude was a cop during the day, the fact is, once he donned that uniform identifying him as a WALMART SECURITY officer, he was contractually obligated to follow their rules and regulations, which he broke to shambles, and not that of his day job.

From the 1st post:

He was clearly marked in uniform as a Harris County deputy. And identified himself as the suspects were leaving the establishment,' said Gilliland to KHOU.Com

He was an off-duty officer in the employment of Walmart, where there are specific rules about his position. His contractual obligations stipulate that he NOT pursue shoplifters, and rather defer to ON-DUTY police officers.
Get that?
1. He was off-duty?
2. He was bounded by his contract with Walmart to not chase after shoplifters.
3. He was bounded by the same contract to defer to ON-DUTY officers.

A lot of these guys don't understand that. As an off duty cop taking a security job your contractual obligations supersede your Law Enforcement duties. This is the same as off duty cops taking security gigs at clubs.

Again, the officer did not kill the woman simply because she shoplifted and stole a few things (even if she is a repeat offender who isn't even allowed at Wal-Marts anymore), but he acted in response to fear of his life. I do not know the specifics, but with what I READ, he was legitimately being attacked by deadly force (a car) and he had to act very quickly to stop the threat.

It's not like he never told her to stop and just shot her. A chain of events happened and the person at fault that could have ultimately stopped this was the woman.

LOL, again read the article before you reply with anything please. 'We hire off duty officers to provide security to some of our stores. While we have policies in place for our associates to disengage from situations that might put them or others in harm's way, off-duty officers working at a WM store are authorized to act in accordance with their department's code of conduct.'
He had authority to do what he did even when he is off duty.

A lot of these guys don't understand that. As an off duty cop taking a security job your contractual obligations supersede your Law Enforcement duties. This is the same as off duty cops taking security gigs at clubs.

even tho the article says different, it kinda doesnt make any sense what walmar said in its statement. Essentially, theyre hiring police ( in the sense that they retain theyre "police powers") to work for them. That cant be kosher

Last edited:
Again, the officer did not kill the woman simply because she shoplifted and stole a few things (even if she is a repeat offender who isn't even allowed at Wal-Marts anymore), but he acted in response to fear of his life. I do not know the specifics, but with what I READ, he was legitimately being attacked by deadly force (a car) and he had to act very quickly to stop the threat.

It's not like he never told her to stop and just shot her. A chain of events happened and the person at fault that could have ultimately stopped this was the woman.

the deadly force was putting the car in reverse while he standing next to the door

read the last line of the article. sheriffs officials are not bound to walmarts security policies. they act in accordance with their local departments code of conduct...which would be to detain the thieves.

Last edited by a moderator:
some of you people are really lost. But that just speaks to the demographic of NT. Im not saying she was right to steal, but there was no need to shoot into the car. Its theft of something that really has no effect on you. Like, he really killed somebody over wal mart items.

Stealing is wrong, but the penalty for it shouldnt be death.
Exactly, these cats act one way on the internet. But for damn sure would be in tears if it was one of their siblings/loved ones.

Every action is a reaction of course, and stealing deserves a penalty. But death? So should be give the death penalty to all shoplifters and thieves? Are we in the Middle East where they do such things for such acts?

Because all they see is "ratchet" "ghetto" woman who brought kids to store so she can shoplift. OP knew what type of responses he would get with this thread

He was an off-duty officer in the employment of Walmart, where there are specific rules about his position. His contractual obligations stipulate that he NOT pursue shoplifters, and rather defer to ON-DUTY police officers.
Get that?
1. He was off-duty?
2. He was bounded by his contract with Walmart to not chase after shoplifters.
3. He was bounded by the same contract to defer to ON-DUTY officers.

LOL, again read the article before you reply with anything please. 'We hire off duty officers to provide security to some of our stores. While we have policies in place for our associates to disengage from situations that might put them or others in harm's way, off-duty officers working at a WM store are authorized to act in accordance with their department's code of conduct.'

He had authority to do what he did even when he is off duty.

I can tell you've never worked retail.

I can guarantee you that the "code of conduct" doesn't include the use of firearm to disable a suspect and/or criminal.

I'll even bet my SN on it...>D

Some NTers are just trying to justify stealing as okay and it happens...no big deal

You make the bed you lie in whether the outcome is justified or not

BOTTOMLINE: if she didn't steal would this thread even be happening?

I can guarantee you that the "code of conduct" doesn't include the use of firearm to disable a suspect and/or criminal.

Can you bet your IP address please

Last edited:
She was very aware that the officer was there and was willing to hit the officer with the open car door.

Last edited:

Dude, LP/Security is totally different then a Officer in uniform, especially in Texas. He didn't use the firearm to disable the suspect, he did it out of protection for himself so that he wouldn't be injured or possibly die.

Big difference, and he is justified because he is a Officer with authority to do as so. Period.

Cant yall read? Hes a SHERIFF/POLICE OFFICER . Hes off duty but is working security in walmart. My local walmarts have em now during this time of year. Whether on duty or not hes still operating as a police officer. Thus the rules of loss prevention and rent a cop doesn't apply to them. They function as POLICE officers . Hell they have two in the door whem ur walking out and 2 sitting outside in the cruisers talking **** just in case somebody makes a run ror it. She tried to run dude over .like really?

Last edited:
Cant yall read? Hes. SHERIFF/POLICE OFFICER . Hes off duty bu is security in walmart. My local walmarts have em noe during this time of year. Whether on duty or not hes still operating as a police officer. Thus the rules of loss prevention and rent a cop doesn't apply to them. They function as POLICE officers . Hell they have two in the door whem ur walking out and 2 sitting outside in the cruisers talking **** just in case somebody makes a run ror it. She tried to run dude over .like really?

Glad others take time to read.

I personally wouldn't care if she was driving a school bus full of gifted preschoolers; if you try to run me over and I'm armed, I'm shooting.

This. People in here acting like they wouldn't shoot to kill if someone was actively threatening your life. Car is coming at you "oh no ill aim for the tires so i don't hurt this model citizen". Hell outta here.

what do you think it is then? ask nicely and spinkle fairy dust? and i worked the front end at home depot for years and saw many a weapon brandished by our detail cops in the parking lot. theres a very good reason they pay that offduty police officer so much to be there. its not cheap

Last edited by a moderator:

He didn't discharge his weapon in an attempt to bring a shoplifter to justice.

He obviously felt that his life was in danger and in that situation it is apparent why he would let off a shot.

She got what she deserved. Anyone willing to bring their kids with them to commit robbery get's what they deserved.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Very tough to decide in this case...hopefully, a video will be provided to see exactly what happened.

BUT, what doesn't make sense to me is the fact that he shot her IF he feared for his life because of the car reversing? So you shoot the person not driving the car?

Like her mother stated....shoot the dam tires out if your that motivated on catching the shoplifters.

Back
Top Bottom