Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
^Beat me to it. Murray was always a sharpshooter but never in a million years would I have expected him to drop 50. It was about as unexpected as Charlie Villanueva or Tony Delk's 50 pters.

Today i see like 50 articles talking bout how john fixed his jumper, I'm just like this is all coming too soon

:smh:

It is his first season with a good shooting percentage and hopefully it betters but damn its too soon to crown him

I'd put MJ's and Gilbert's games above Wall's.

I definitely do not care for Nick Young's game at all. I don't even recall nor do I care about anything he did in a Wiz uniform.

Gil's game against LA, Phoenix, and his array of game winners will never be forgotten. The shot against Utah was one of the greatest I've ever seen based on the sheer fact that as soon as he let it fly.....he was untucking his jersey, turning around and walking off the court. I've seldom seen a player that locked into a zone while playing professional basketball. Gil was on a different level that season.

Wall has the hunger and fire that I look for in players. He has that desire and will to get better and win. I know when I'm coaching and teaching....those the the traits I look for the most. The work ethic, that burning desire to be better and that competitive juice.

When you get to the NBA....everyone is talented. What makes Tracy McGrady different than Kobe? It wasn't talent.......

thats the one that always sticks out to me jesus

8 men dressed vs. one of the best defensive teams in the NBA....and Wall goes off for 47. I still can't believe it.

HUGE game tonight. I really think that expectations going into next year will be playoffs or bust. There are no more excuses. This team (when healthy...or when Wall is healthy) has the capability of fighting for the 6-8 seed in the 2013-14 season.

Going into this offseason, the team absolutely has to land another proven scoring option. I'm not sure how that happens, but I'd still try to figure out what it would take to pry boogie out of Sacto/Seattle.

Today i see like 50 articles talking bout how john fixed his jumper, I'm just like this is all coming too soon

:smh:

It is his first season with a good shooting percentage and hopefully it betters but damn its too soon to crown him
I agree that it's too soon to "crown him" but people are excited because the main thing he was lacking was a halfway decent jumper. Everything else is going to fall into place from there. That's a big reason why he sucked in the half court, it's because defenses were playing off him like he was Kendrick Perkins and just roaming passing lanes.

As of right now, he looks like an All-Star.

Excited to see how he does vs Rustle tonight though, that will be a dynamite matchup :pimp:

Edit: Recent quote from Gary Payton..

A guy that I really like is [John] Wall from Washington. Yeah. That’s becoming one of my guys. One of my kids. He tweeted me and asked for my number and I called him and we’ve been tight ever since. He’s a kid where I like him because he called me to ask me how to get better at playing defense and how to become a good point guard. That’s the type of stuff I'm saying. Some of these kids nowadays their egos are too big to go to old-school guys and say, "I need to know about my ability and how can I get better." Once he did that, it was a lock for me and him to become really close.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...st-john-stockton-and-the-art-of-talking-trash

Last edited:
I agree that it's too soon to "crown him" but people are excited because the main thing he was lacking was a halfway decent jumper. Everything else is going to fall into place from there. That's a big reason why he sucked in the half court, it's because defenses were playing off him like he was Kendrick Perkins and just roaming passing lanes.

As of right now, he looks like an All-Star.

Excited to see how he does vs Rustle tonight though, that will be a dynamite matchup :pimp:

Edit: Recent quote from Gary Payton..
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...st-john-stockton-and-the-art-of-talking-trash

I agree! I was ecstatic to hear about him reaching out to Gary. John has no ego and just wants to improve. That's why is was baffling to see people questioning his heart and desire. He was visibly frustrated sitting on that bench in a shirt/tie for two months.

Great to see him ball!

Interesting stat line from Wall last night....I was at a work function and only NCAA games were on.

Any reason for his low Assist number? Folks weren't hitting shots?

Yea seems things weren't going his way

he only had 2 assist and those 2 came in the first six minutes of the first quarter

Edit: Jameer nelson went down and he started to attack alot afterwards, at half time when he didn't pass i was shocked he had 3 seconds to make it down court but ariza was already down there, he beat the buzzer so i can't hate but still the pass would of been smarter

Last edited:
I watched the game. Wall was passing just as much as he usually does, but guys were either bricking open shots or getting fouled on the attempts. Because of the injuries the lineups we've been putting on the floor are garbage, so that isn't surprising.

He had a ton of FGA because I think he felt compelled to carry more of the offensive load (which I didn't have a problem with). Dude seriously needs to get better at finishing at the rim though.. he missed a ton of looks in the paint. Mostly floaters and layups that he should be able to make, and he got straight up stuffed or blocked at least 4-5 times. And a lot of his misses were makeable jumpers as well, so he's still very streaky with the shot. Obviously not the type of player who needs to be taking 25+ attempts at this point but he was pressed into duty.

An offseason of training on his shot and interior finishing will do him a lot of good. Supposedly he trained with Westbrook/Rose's trainer last summer, he better be calling dude up again for daily workouts.

Last edited:
Any folks trying to go to the final game of the season against Philly? I'll be on work travel for the Chicago game and preoccupied next weekend against Indiana. The Miami game will probably consist of Juwan Howard and Rashard Lewis logging a lot of time.

Anyone for Philly? Trying to serenade Nick Young with an appropriate welcome for all of his hard work and effort when he was in DC.

:pimp: Tonight was a classic Wall/Beal special.. we've seen it throughout the season when both are healthy, the chemistry those two have developed is something else.

Beal was a perfect draft pick. PERFECT.

not a wizards' fan but i went to the verizon center to catch the toronto game while visiting D.C. and i must say that you guys have a talented backcourt in the making. didn't know beal's shot was that good, but he was for damn sure on tonite. would i be wrong to liken their possible production to that of the combination of brandon jennings and monta ellis? if nene could just be a shell of his former self, the wizards would make some noise in the East.

:pimp: Tonight was a classic Wall/Beal special.. we've seen it throughout the season when both are healthy, the chemistry those two have developed is something else.

Beal was a perfect draft pick. PERFECT.

not a wizards' fan but i went to the verizon center to catch the toronto game while visiting D.C. and i must say that you guys have a talented backcourt in the making. didn't know beal's shot was that good, but he was for damn sure on tonite. would i be wrong to liken their possible production to that of the combination of brandon jennings and monta ellis? if nene could just be a shell of his former self, the wizards would make some noise in the East.
I actually think they can be much better than the Jennings/Ellis backcourt. Both of those players like to have the ball in their hands and love taking shots, so their skillsets overlap a bit. Wall and Beal complement each other perfectly. Wall is a pass first PG who can penetrate and dish, and Beal is really good at playing off the ball and he's pretty much Rip Hamilton/Ray Allen-automatic coming off screens. And both are above average defenders (esp Wall), unlike Jennings/Ellis who are absent defensively. IMO they could be the best backcourt in the league within 2-3 years (up there with Thompson/Curry, Irving/Waiters). We're def excited in DC. Who's your team btw?

Dwyane Casey on Wall's improvement:

WASHINGTON -- John Wall had one of the worst games of his career when the Toronto Raptors last came to town, going 1-12 with seven turnovers in an eight-point defeat in late February. Since then, he has significantly improved his game.

I asked Raptors coach Dwane Casey what has caused Wall's improvement. Here's his answer in full.

"His jump shot has really gotten my attention. When he's knocking that down, knocking threes down, he's almost impossible to guard because of his speed. That sets everything up. Now, if you come out on him for his jump shot that he's making, he goes by you. He's developed it. I understand he's been working with a shooting coach that's really helped his game. When he gets it to where it's automatic, that makes him tough to guard."

I followed up by asking if this recent surge means Wall must be defended differently than before. Casey said yes (emphasis mine).

"He's gotten everybody's attention. That 47 [points vs. Memphis] will do it for you. It shows you better come out and guard him and challenge his shot. Before, you could go under him automatically on pick and rolls. You can't do that now. You've got to read where he's on the floor. He's done a much better job of taking what the defense gives him. He's become a much, much smarter player since he's come back. He's gotten the experience of going against different defenses, but his improvement is unbelievable, especially with his shot and how it's setting everything else up," he said.

Casey also said he's been impressed by Wall's defense, which surprised me.

"His defense on the ball is unbelievable, because of his speed, strength, quickness and the length of his arms. He's cat-quick on the ball. I'm just as impressed with that as I am with his offensive output," he said.

Interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Great come back game by Beal. Surprised he shot that well just coming back :pimp:

I have been saying it about Wall forever. He is extremely athletic and can get his shot whenever he wants it....he just can't knock it down consistently.
His jump shot has really gotten my attention. When he's knocking that down, knocking threes down, he's almost impossible to guard because of his speed.

:pimp: :pimp:

Good read from David Aldridge:

NOBODY ASKED ME, BUT ...

Is John Wall a max player?

The Wizards' guard thinks so and his play over the last couple of weeks has made the question more difficult to answer. The intangibles of being the first overall pick in the 2010 Draft and the face of the Wizards have been joined by tangible on-court results.

Since Wall's return Jan. 12 from a stress injury to his left kneecap that cost him the first 33 games of the season, the Wizards have swept their season series with Denver (giving the Nuggets one of only three home losses this season at the Pepsi Center), and beaten the Bulls, Clippers, Knicks, Nets, Rockets, Lakers and Grizzlies.

After Sunday's win over Toronto, Washington is 22-18 with Wall, almost a half-season's body of work, which projects to a record just above .500 over 82 games. That would have put the Wizards in the hunt for the seventh playoff spot in the East.

Rest of Article in Link

&

Q&A: Bradley Beal on His Impressive Rookie Season, Playing With John Wall, and Trade Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom