Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything, John tries a little TOO hard. His first 2 years, he wasn't playing to his strengths because he was trying to overcompensate for his awful teammates. This is the first year in John's pro career where he's had some semblance of a team that has a good b-ball IQ. They are 18-15 with him in the lineup. As he goes, so do the Wizards. Give him the max...let him develop more cohesion with Beal, and X your fingers that the front office makes good decisions to get this team into the playoff hunt going forward.

im not trying to argue but please elaborate

I disagree cause i feel a great point guard is the perfect person to build around cause it starts with the person that runs the show
Well I mean I just don't think you need a superstar point guard to win a Championship. Bulls (I know they had Michael Jordan but) B.J Armstrong, John Paxson, Lakers Derek Fisher, Mavericks old Jason Kidd, Mario Chalmers Heat are decent point guards but not great.

Spurs Tony Parker was MVP for their last championship, Chauncey Billups for Detroit, Rajon Rondo for Boston all three of these guys were major factors for winning Championships. But none of those guys are on Max Deals

I mean I hope I am wrong and John Wall can lead us to the Finals. But got to wait out the Lebron storm anyway
roll.gif

The teams you just named have three players who are in discussion for Goats of basketball tho :lol:

And isn't the max for wall like 14-15 a year ?... IMO the Wizards HAVE to give him that contract, because if that money isn't spent on a potential All star, then it's going to be wasted on overpaid role players knowing the history of this franchise. Not to mention that as long as nene is on this squad they still wouldn't have much cap even if they let Wall walk

The teams you just named have three players who are in discussion for Goats of basketball tho
laugh.gif

And isn't the max for wall like 14-15 a year ?... IMO the Wizards HAVE to give him that contract, because if that money isn't spent on a potential All star, then it's going to be wasted on overpaid role players knowing the history of this franchise. Not to mention that as long as nene is on this squad they still wouldn't have much cap even if they let Wall walk
I mean I'm not building a team around a point guard unless their names are Magic Johnson or Isiah Thomas.

I think a deal like the one Ty Lawson got from the Nuggets would be fair to give John Wall

I like Wall and I know he was hurt for part of the season but we are three years in and we average about 20 wins per-season.

Look at what happened when the Hornets they wanted to build around Chris Paul, or the Jazz when they wanted to build around Deron Williams

Like I said I hope I am wrong and Wall can turn into Gary Peyton, and then all we need to do is find a Shawn Kemp.

We can sign Wall, and yeah we will have a nice team, but I dont know if we will have a Championship level team

^ great points

Honestly we still need to build and by the time john gets the max we have alot of money coming off the books so we are alright

^ great points

Honestly we still need to build and by the time john gets the max we have alot of money coming off the books so we are alright
I mean I dont think I would be so nervous if we had a different front office. I dont want them to sign Wall, and then not make any more BIG moves. Like they did in the Arenas years. You know the Antonio Daniels, and Darius Songaila type moves

good points but in order to be a championship team you have to have some semblence of consistency and reputation, winning a championship is more than just players it includes Coaches, Front Office, Ownership etc etc.

The Wizards in the past 20 years have had what 5 winning seasons? at some point they have too get stable and i think having John wall at the Helm along with Beal would not only keep them stable and relevant but make DC a destination for FA. That's been one of my biggest qualms with the Wizards, They are in the nations Capital, A Major City with a RICH basketball tradition they should be one of the major players in FA but their history of being a losing franchise trumps all of that.

Wall IMO can be a superstar player and in todays NBA that's good enough for the time being.

Look at the names of the players who won Championships the past 10 years

Lebron, Wade, Dirk, Kobe, KG, PP, Duncan,

Your talking about guys who may finish top 5 at their positions when all is said and done, Finding a transcendent player is very difficult which is why the Wizards shouldn't let go of potential great players to gamble on the hope of finding the "Next Big Thing"

good points but in order to be a championship team you have to have some semblence of consistency and reputation, winning a championship is more than just players it includes Coaches, Front Office, Ownership etc etc.

The Wizards in the past 20 years have had what 5 winning seasons? at some point they have too get stable and i think having John wall at the Helm along with Beal would not only keep them stable and relevant but make DC a destination for FA. That's been one of my biggest qualms with the Wizards, They are in the nations Capital, A Major City with a RICH basketball tradition they should be one of the major players in FA but their history of being a losing franchise trumps all of that.

Wall IMO can be a superstar player and in todays NBA that's good enough for the time being.

Look at the names of the players who won Championships the past 10 years

Lebron, Wade, Dirk, Kobe, KG, PP, Duncan,

Your talking about guys who may finish top 5 at their positions when all is said and done, Finding a transcendent player is very difficult which is why the Wizards shouldn't let go of potential great players to gamble on the hope of finding the "Next Big Thing"
Your right I just got to keep on being patience. Like I said I want it to work out. I would feel better if Ernie was not running the show but...

Great win last night. Miami isn't the only squad who can come back from big deficits. John making Steve Nash stumble and fall was sad.....That's like a 20 year age difference.

What's most impressive about the win is that they pulled it off without having Okafor and Beal. Lakers had ALL their stars. Playoffs are an afterthought, but I'm so proud of this team.

John Wall Full Highlights (March 22, 2013) at Lakers - 24 Points, 16 Assists, 6 Rebounds, 3 Steals.

washington wizards, trevor ariza, nba, los angeles, comeback, down 18

Interesting article on John Wall receiving the max, now that everyone's high on him again after the Calderon debacles:  http://nba.si.com/2013/03/19/john-wall-wizards-contract/

As a side note:  since that article was written, now there are only TWO players averaging 18 and 8 per 36 minutes:  Tony Parker and John Wall.

As much as we all love to see Wall playing better, paying him the max now seems inevitable.

This late season push is a blessing and a curse.  Last year's run proved to be fool's gold.  You want to win every game for the  sake of team-building and player development, but it's a double edged sword.  It'll likely cost us the opportunity to add a real impact player in the draft.

Realistically, we'll draft in the 7-12 range, depending on how the lottery plays out.  I fully expect Orlando and Phoenix to be in the top 3.  Cleveland's in full tank mode after shutting down Irving.  Washington's within striking distance of 9th place in the East.  

With Porter likely out of range, despite Georgetown's collapse, there's no clear answer for SF and the way Webster's been handling himself on and off the court of late, he'll command starter money this summer.  How can you not want him back?  Paying more for the status quo, however, is dangerous business to say the least.  I don't want to lose in the first round every year.

The Wizards need to get a read on Okafor's intentions.  If they can't keep him at an AFFORDABLE rate next summer, they'll have to trade him while his value is high.  You can't pay him, Wall, and Nene all damn near max money.  Something's gotta give, and since Nene can't be moved and Wall's proving himself worthy of a big payday, they may have to cut Okafor loose even though he's given us consistent production.  Packaging assets, including the pick, may be the team's best bet to escape mediocrity.

The late surge w/ Wall coming back saved him, for this season at least.

It's also ruining our draft position, but honestly I don't even care. I'm just glad that we're finally putting guys on the floor who have some self-respect and want to win. These past few weeks we've gotten more positive press than we have in the last 5 years combined. For the fans that definitely means something.

This is the one draft I don't mind them ruining their position...because there won't be a huge difference between who's drafted in the top half of the lottery vs the bottom half. Just please...don't ******g draft Cody Zeller 
mean.gif

Agreed, this draft is wack anyways.

Zeller is weaksauce.. Alex Len from UMD is a better prospect IMO.

Agreed, this draft is wack anyways.

Zeller is weaksauce.. Alex Len from UMD is a better prospect IMO.

I wouldn't want Len either. No joke, I'd much rather have Kelly Olynyk if it was a selection between him, Zeller, and Len. For the Wizards sake, I hope that Zeller stays in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom