Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm content with the Porter pick - as most seem to be. His relative lack of explosiveness and average shot creation ability may prevent him from ever being a star player, but from what I've seen/heard/read he projects to be a good starter. The usual Ernie masterminded draft disaster was averted - so there's that.

Last edited:
I honestly liked Bennett. I said either in this thread that if Noel's knee is questionable id take bennett (assuming porter went #1). It seemed a lot of people were high on him. I am glad we got otto because for once we made a (somewhat) safe pick.

Who would have thought that out of all the NBA GMs, Ernie actually pulled off one of the better drafts?

I went to bed immediately after the GRJr. pick. I didn't know what to think of it as there were guys like Franklin, Withey, Wolters, etc. still on the board. Yes, he did have a rep of being a knucklehead, but like Meth said, the D-League might have been the best thing for him as he seemingly matured. On top of it all, I'm not worried about him too much on this team b/c we have a strong enough group of veterans and overall character on the roster which will hopefully keep him in line.

IMO, Porter will start.

Okafor
Nene
Porter
Beal
Wall

That's the best lineup we've had in YEARS. Playoffs or bust this year, baby! :pimp:

I give the Wizards an "A" grade for last night. Hopefully, this will be our last lottery pick for a while.

There was a decent write up about GRJr on bullets forever saying something along the lines of he is "athletic as hell". I don't know much about him but he did put up a lot of points in the D-League something like 26 a game. He could turn out to be a great spark plug off the bench in the JR Smith mold (or Jordan Crawford mode....they did say he has poor shot selection and low basketball IQ).

I am excited to see what Otto will bring to the team and now can't wait for the season to start.

NBADraft.Net profile on Glen Rice Jr.

Part of his weaknesses:

Weaknesses: Also similar to Rice Sr., he doesn't explode very well off of one foot, limiting his effectiveness in transition to a degree ...

Link

2:10

Completely humbled....

:pimp:

Who would have thought that out of all the NBA GMs, Ernie actually pulled off one of the better drafts?

I went to bed immediately after the GRJr. pick. I didn't know what to think of it as there were guys like Franklin, Withey, Wolters, etc. still on the board. Yes, he did have a rep of being a knucklehead, but like Meth said, the D-League might have been the best thing for him as he seemingly matured. On top of it all, I'm not worried about him too much on this team b/c we have a strong enough group of veterans and overall character on the roster which will hopefully keep him in line.

IMO, Porter will start.

Okafor
Nene
Porter
Beal
Wall

That's the best lineup we've had in YEARS. Playoffs or bust this year, baby! :pimp:

I give the Wizards an "A" grade for last night. Hopefully, this will be our last lottery pick for a while.

Ernie sure did his homework and made the right choice. I liked the Glen Rice Jr. Pick as well. If he doesn't work out we can always send him to the D-League or cut him

Otto was a a good pick at #3. A stretch 3 that can do it all imo. Looking forward to see him in the summer league :pimp:

Glen Rice Jr was an absolute steal for your team.

I was hoping we would've picked him at 20 or that he fell to us in the 2nd round. :smh:

Otto and Martell Webster should be a nice tandem at the 3, barring Webster leaving :smokin

Last edited:
Otto and Martell Webster should be a nice tandem at the 3, barring Webster leaving
smokin.gif
I have to admit, I didn't expect a lot out of Martell Webster last season.  His stopover in Minnesota was less than successful and Ernie doesn't exactly have the Midas touch when it comes to free agency.  I was thoroughly impressed with Martell's play this year.  He comes across as a pro's pro.  He shot the ball exceptionally well from distance and put up career numbers for us.  In so doing, he may have played himself right out of Washington.

While he's said many times that he'd love to return, I have to believe that some true contenders will come calling this summer and it'll be difficult for him to remain here for similar money, especially now that we've brought in Porter with the intention of starting him sooner rather than later.

This was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.  Drafting Porter nudges Webster out the door, but we couldn't just assume that he'd return, nor do I believe that he's really the STARTING small forward on a championship caliber team.  I'd be thrilled to have him come off the bench for us moving forward, and hopefully he'll be more interested in finishing what he's started here than in ring chasing.  

Thanks to Danny Ainge's abominable sense of loyalty, and Milwaukee's constant bungling, I think there are not one but TWO playoff spots there for the taking this season.  Neither the Celtics nor the Bucks will likely be in the running.  Nobody knows what's going to happen with Atlanta, either.  So many teams are determined to enter the Wiggins sweepstakes by shamelessly tanking this year that I truly believe we can make the playoffs even with some minor injury setbacks.  All it's likely to take will be a .500 season.  If Atlanta allows Josh Smith to walk and strikes out in free agency, as I expect them to, I think we're the second-best team in the Southeast (albeit a very distant second) and the sixth or seventh-best team in the East.  I think we can all live with that. 

We still have until November to muk it up and do something outlandish...:smh:

:smoking It feels good to build a team and not try to wheel and deal for a team like Brooklyn is doing. No those deals either pay off huge (Boston/Miami) or they don't (Lakers right now).

Cheers to an uplifting season for the District...this area deserves it! :smokin:nerd:8)

God im so happy things are finally looking up..its been a long time coming. I think Webster should come back, but with how he played last season its likey that he will go with another team and start with them he deserves it. Porter, Wall and Beal the big 3 to be messing with...Ariza is going to come back..I see them trading him before the season starts tho...but he definately would help Porter big time...We definately a Playoff team this year...I cant wait for the season to start...hopefully to no disappointments...Ernie didn't **** up...so lets go WIZARDS

How yall feel bout glen rice jr dude can ball but has obvious character/maturity issues

Im just happy we got more shooters to space the floor

Yall should go after Eric Maynor

Whatever happened to that dude? :lol: i find myself asking this bout many players

A legit backup pg wouldn hurt at all

Last edited:
From what I was reading, the Knicks had GRJr. targeted in the 1st round. If it wasn't for some of his red-flags, he would have for sure been a 1st round pick.

Honestly, I love the pick. It's more depth at SF if we don't re-sign Martell, and it's insurance behind BEal at SG.

The kid is a flat out athlete. I'm not worried about his past b/c we have strong enough character and leadership on the team to help keep him on the straight & narrow.

We pile on EG (rightfully), but he had one of the best drafts out of all the NBA GMs.

How yall feel bout glen rice jr dude can ball but has obvious character/maturity issues

Im just happy we got more shooters to space the floor
Whatever happened to that dude? :lol: i find myself asking this bout many players

A legit backup pg wouldn hurt at all

Eric went down with that crucial knee injury against Houston and had to be carried off the court. He was traded to Portland after losing his back-up PG duties and was looking good without the brace towards the end of the season.

OKC missed his tempo and ability run the pick & roll/get the team into somewhat of an offense.

I went to college and played with Eric, so I'm slightly biased....but I would love to see him on the Wizards and back closer to his home state of NC.

From what I was reading, the Knicks had GRJr. targeted in the 1st round. If it wasn't for some of his red-flags, he would have for sure been a 1st round pick.

Honestly, I love the pick. It's more depth at SF if we don't re-sign Martell, and it's insurance behind BEal at SG.

The kid is a flat out athlete. I'm not worried about his past b/c we have strong enough character and leadership on the team to help keep him on the straight & narrow.

We pile on EG (rightfully), but he had one of the best drafts out of all the NBA GMs.

:lol: Who woulda thunk we would ever be saying that about THE WIZARDS!? :smoking :rofl:

Better Know A 2013 NBA Free Agent: Chris Copeland

The only thing I don't like about Cope is his age. I'd be really weary of giving him a anything more than a 3 year deal b/c he's turning 30. Dude can get buckets and stretch the defense a little bit. He's nowhere near as good as Martell Webster, but I'm starting to accept the fact that he's probably as good as gone.

Why is it for certain Martell is leaving? Is it cause he hates losing?

Read this:

Ernie Grunfeld and the Wizards have said several times that the 2013 NBA Draft would have no effect on the Wizards' decision with regards to free-agent small forward Martell Webster. One must take him at face value even after the Wizards took two wings in Otto Porter and Glen Rice Jr. on Thursday night.

But does Webster himself feel the same way? It's hard to read between the lines, but some of the things he emailed to J Michael of CSN Washington make you raise your eyebrows.

Rest of Article in Link

I really liked Webster, seems hes leaving cause he feels hes gonna be put into a reduced role

Really wish him the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom