When and Why did Def Jam fall off?

i blinked one day and I hear people talking about Def Jam like it's a liability...what happened?

I was gonna say around the time they did the jay thing but that’s when it was . When la Reid came which began the cycle of upper management turnover.

Jay-Z-Becomes-President-Jayzbillion-episode-04.jpg

You realize he signed Rihanna and kept Kanye in the fold, right?
Yeah that was probably the last time they were dominant. They had some heavy hitters. Even the OG's who were disgruntled was still there like LL, Meth, Red, Ghostface........Def Jam roster was nice back then.

Def Jam just went to the way of the game did. Like all the heavy hitters.....Interscope fell off too....Jive/RCA fell off........I guess Def Jam's biggest crime was it didn't gravitate to the Soundcloud rapper era that came.

checking they website look like they gotta bunch of r&b singers and "old" rappers. look like they never jumped on the sound cloud wave now they stuck

Wait what?! Def Jam is still signing kids and still relevant today. They didn’t really fall off.

Relevant how?

They've become a legacy label like Motown.

The only thing really relevant about them is every time a Kanye or Rihanna drop, and Kanye doesn't sell like he used to for obvious reasons.

Look what they did or didn't do to 070 Shake.

Def Jam fell off then music changed. They didn't adapt and the new rap didn't fit their image. Signed the wrong people and got caught up too late. It's crazy seeing how irrelevant they are today.

jay snake self is one of the reasons for the fall off
and i dont EVEN wanna get into the shakir conspiracy
he aint kill himself
just know that

Def Jam fell off then music changed. They didn't adapt and the new rap didn't fit their image. Signed the wrong people and got caught up too late. It's crazy seeing how irrelevant they are today.

Shakir was the last person that was signing new acts(south artist).

After him they did stuff like sign dudes who had one song instead of people who had talent or could blow with a backing.

Back
Top Bottom