Which do you prefer?Original or Retro's?

Everything pre-2003 is preferred. I don't dig any Jordans after the XIII's so if they're goin to be OG they better be kept well or they'll fall to pieces.

I haven't bought any retros in at least 3-4 years, so I don't even know anymore. I think the last pair I bought were the Mars IV, which I was actually pretty happy with. Most of the OG shoes I have in general have much better materials though. My OG XIV and retro, there was just no comparison as far as the leather and even the fins on the midsole and shank plate.

with the OG materials being better would you say that even considering the time wear they've experienced, they're still better than the newer retros?

Originally Posted by twostripestiger

with the OG materials being better would you say that even considering the time wear they've experienced, they're still better than the newer retros?
yes, I dont see how anyone could disagree....OG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Retros

I dont even buy retros anymore, last Jordan I bought was 05 LS 14s

I hate the people who think that OGs are automatically better than everything all because they're OG.
For example, I saw some of the comments in the Stealth 3 thread that was like, "Naw, I only buy OG colorways" What if the Stealth 3s came out in '88 with the Cements, Fire Reds, and True Blues?

Anyway, doesn't matter to me, as long as they're nice, I'm okay with either.
I place the Stealth 3s right up there with the Fire Reds and Cements.
French Blue XIIs are my second favorite XIIs next to the Playoffs.
Cool Grey IVs right up there with the Cements, Fire Reds, and black/reds.
You get the idea.

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

I've heard that the Retro XII was more comfortable than the Original...i only have the original, so i can't confirm this

But the originals are way better, and unless Jordan Brand decides to care about their customers...it will stay that way
Ok i try to help you out. I have:
1x OG AJ 12 white/black-taxis (purchased on November 20, 1996) VS 1x retro AJ 12 black/white-varsity reds (purchased somewhere in 2004)

1. shape: the OGs had the leather panels on the sides often misplaced by few milimeters, while the retros looked much better balanced.

However, the toe cap of the OG looked very smooth and perfectly rounded while the retros tend to be a bit squarelike

2. material: the OGs totally owns the retro. as all leather used on the shoe is indeed better quality. The leather panels are not only

double as thick than the retro but the 4 lace loops are made with solid metal and not plastic

3. comfort: As the OG's had a very durable but super stiff midsole/outsole and also had the conventional encapsulated AIR,

the retros provide much more flexibility and confort plus all retros have ZOOM AIR

4. durability: The OG's are extremely durable. mine have been worn around 500 times, including on the black top and yet i only had

to glue them only once after 13 years at the innerside at the midfoot area where it suffered minor sole separation.

my retros however already had a few spots of minor midsole separation after 2 years.

If you want the AJ 12 to play basketball, i really recommend you the retros. But if you need one for collection and intend to wear them much,

the OGs not only have a higher collector's value but also much higher durability.

Originally Posted by trappedintime

I had all the OGs from V-XIV, and early retros (I-III '94) abut I balled in all of them. Quite frankly when I see people talking about the quality of the OG's, I have to laugh. Some of the OGs, especially in the later years, were garbage quality. I can't tell you how many pairs I had early toe separation on, horrible creasing, easy scuffing. Particularly 10's, 12's, and 14's (the foam midsoles were utter garbage).

Now I only wear the retros as regular kicks, not basketball shoes, and I haven't found any issue with the quality. In a few cases they've obviously switched materials altogether from the OG colorways, and I'm not in support of that. But as far as the materials go on many of the recent pickups I've made, I don't have complaints. Maybe I don't wear them enough to see many of the issues I had with the OGs when I played basketball in them, but most of them have held up pretty well after many wears.

I always thought Jordan had great designs, but quality wise the OGs were horribly hit or miss. Just like anything people want to remember it how they choose (which is usually fondly), especially in comparison to newer versions of the same product. Nothing is changing back time, but overall I think the OG vs Retro quality issue is way overblown. The best is when I see 17-19 year olds talking about the quality of retros being poor. These kids weren't even wearing Jordans until after the production had gone from Nike to JB (which I suppose is still just slicing the same thing a different way). I'm sure I'll be in the minority here, but that's just my feelings on things. The reality is probably that just about every major brand (Nike, Adidas, and Reebok) have cut quality in favor of cost reductions, especially on retro shoes.
I agree with this 100%. I'm not hung up on having an OG pair of anything, when I've already had em in the past. If I can get a newer version of something I had in Jr High & High School, then I'm all for it. My only concern is having a clean pair to rock, in a colorway that I had before.

I'd prefer OG's only if they are wearable. If not, why bother? Shelling out hundreds on a DS pair of OG's that will inevitably crumble/separate once you wear them is stupid.

Forgive the (virtually) new guy, but is there a complete list somewhere on here or an external website that has a full index of all the retros JB has ever issued, with dates?

OGs all the way!!!! The quality was on point. Retros excel in c/w's but you can never beat the feel of the OGs

Back
Top Bottom