Why do African Americans continue to practice Christianity if it was forced upon them during slavery

Why are there so many atheists on this board? Always wondered. I know only 1-2 offline, but it's like every single person on here is one...
Cuz it's easier for them to be one online than in person. How would you know the person sitting next to you on the bus is an atheist?
Let's not even get into the idea of being Agnostic/Atheist within a Black family. If they find out then you might as well be sacrificing babies to Lucifer.

Made this thread because the subject came up and my parents started tripping when I told them how I really felt

Don't even think my dad is ******* with me no more 
mean.gif

I shoulda just shut the **** up 
laugh.gif

I heard a snippet of a speech years ago that touches on this and it always stayed in my mind:

"We saw our life, expressed in the life of Jesus Christ. We saw our suffering, in his suffering. We saw our persecution, in his persecution. And that's why African-Americans became so emotionally involved with Jesus, and many still are. We saw his lynching, as our lynching, because that's what it was. It was a Roman lynching. And we saw his resurrection, his redemption, as God restoring us, and bringing us, back to our lives that had been taken from us. It registered not only in the minds of the African-American, it registered in our souls, that Jesus was a direct representation of us. The injustices that he received, represented the injustices that we received (and continue to receive)."

Made this thread because the subject came up and my parents started tripping when I told them how I really felt​

Don't even think my dad is ******* with me no more :smh:

I shoulda just shut the **** up :lol:

It's real unfortunately :\. My pops didn't wanna talk or have anything to do with me for a good little while after telling him :lol:. Mom was a lot cooler but she still struggled to accept it and still tries getting me to come to church with her sometimes. I hit her with the "C'mon son" look each time. It's definitely a subject that doesn't get brought up often anymore,too explosive a topic I find for family conversations and the discussion usually goes nowhere.

Last edited:
I'm an agnostic...buuuutttt I do follow a lot of Christian traditions. I don't know how many of you grew up in the church; but man, they do some good work and, at the very least, talk a good game.

[Forrest Gump] Momma always said[/Forrest Gump] the bible is the history of the Jews, a little hyperbole to make it sound better, but the history of the Jews none the less...

When you bash the church you bash plenty of good people and plenty of good tenants, that is what people get mad at, they aren't mad you cursed their God, they're mad you cursed their mother, their father, their morals...them.

Once I realized that, I stopped arguing people about how the bible is a story book....a good story book, but a story book. I don't get why people have to constantly be "right" why not let people believe what they want? If they ask you to partake in their ritual, put your arrogance aside and participate, don't participate because of the ritual, participate because someone you have respect for wanted you to.

I go to church, not because it brings me peace (movie theaters do it for me), but because it brings my mom peace and I love her, so what if some old lady says I'm going to hell because I believe Jesus is nothing more than a clever character to make some good teaching points about life (which, if some of you would actually read the bible would realize he does), that doesn't effect my life in any material way.  "What you eat don't make me ****....where's the love?"

Oh yea, what parts? Show me proof of Jesus Christ in the places slaves were taken from prior to colonialism.

there was longstanding practice of Christianity in north africa, ethiopia etc. you really think that west africans never had contact with christianity until the europeans came?

No it wasn't.

the ethiopian orthodox church is thousands of years old

How many American slaves where taken from North Africa?

i think you're missing the point that i'm trying to make. essentially what i'm saying is that the idea what Christianity is the "white man's religion" is false

Yo.

@LIONBLOOD

Get the **** outta this thread, bruh.

What you are talking about is NOT what this thread about, no matter how closely related the subjects are.

Last edited:

How many American slaves where taken from North Africa?
i think you're missing the point that i'm trying to make. essentially what i'm saying is that the idea what Christianity is the "white man's religion" is false
the kind of christianity in the subject of this thread, african american christianity that was forced upon blacks during years of slavery, is a version of christianity that was forced upon slaves by their european owners. when slaves were brought to america they were stripped of their culture, religion and language so despite there being instances of christianity in africa before the slave trade, the version of christianity current african americans practice is one that was forced upon them during slavery.

its hard to say africans practiced christianity before europeans since back then there were no continents, if we are using today's definition of continents than it would be asians who first started practicing christianity

I'll go on a limb to throw this thread for a loop.

Any major religion you see now days has traces to voodoon. The Christ figure, god hood, worship etc.

The people you see in Egypt now are more Arab then they are african and can give two flying birds about the culture. They'd blow the pyramids up if you payed them right.

For everyone who gets all riled up about African Americans claiming Egyptian ties and royalty, take a seat. Egyptian/kemetic culture has been and always will be our history. Because we migrated to west Africa people think there's a disconnect between the two.

If you dig enough you'll see the pyramids are older then they say in the history books, and that Egyptians who claimed that pyramids belonged to a so and so dynasty also stated that they inherited the pyramids from a culture far older and superior then theirs.

the kind of christianity in the subject of this thread, african american christianity that was forced upon blacks during years of slavery, is a version of christianity that was forced upon slaves by their european owners. when slaves were brought to america they were stripped of their culture, religion and language so despite there being instances of christianity in africa before the slave trade, the version of christianity current african americans practice is one that was forced upon them during slavery.

its hard to say africans practiced christianity before europeans since back then there were no continents, if we are using today's definition of continents than it would be asians who first started practicing christianity
there are versions of christianity?
nerd.gif

it sounds like christianity has been diluted as its been passed on from savage to savage don't u think? (being ironic)
Observing your post... I swear on everything I love you're @LordOfCastamere.

Even similar avy to SN. The resemblance and even posting style is uncanny.

We need a Meth intervention, NT Detective hunch in full effect.

Last edited:

there are versions of christianity?
nerd.gif

it sounds like christianity has been diluted as its been passed on from savage to savage don't u think? (being ironic)
well at the end of the day its still a religion based on the bible, the different groups of people who use the bible to justify different actions can be seen as versions of christianity. i wouldnt say its diluted, its always been a tool for people to use to justify their actions. the same book that justified the crusades also was used to justify slavery, the kkk, destroying native american cultures, destroying asian cultures, destroying african cultures, stagnating scientific advancements for an extended time in history and a bunch of other stuff. so i wouldnt say its diluted, seems like its the same as it has always been.

Thread starter asked a great question and the answer is varied an complex. The main of the reason Africa Americans continue to practice Christianity is because of ignorance. WE grew up in a culture of white supremacy, therefore we practice self hate and despise the very things that makes us great and unique. Western culture and it's religions are anti-African and keeps people of African decent from truly embracing African cultures and traditions.

I'm far from a scholar, but from my research most indigenous African cultures are very spiritual and believe in one great ancestor. They also revere nature and worship the many aspects of nature, which most western cultures deem as demonic or idol worship.

The beginning of this paradigm began in Alexandria Egypt, where Alexander and the Ptolemy's forced the Native Egyptians to worship the pseudo Egyptian/Greek god Sarapis.

What Native Egyptains worshiped before Macedonians and Greek invaded
View media item 901862
What native Egyptians worshiped after Greeks invaded
View media item 901863
What the majority of the world worshiped after the Council of Nicea in 325 AD
View media item 901869

The rest is history...

wheres the source on all west africans having original roots in egypt...?

I'm on mobile right now, I'll dig it up when I get to desk top.

In short, the cradle of civilization begun in east Africa, Egypt, Ethiopia etc then people started migrating from there.

Take a look at the southern and western african mystery systems and they're practically the same thing, just different dialects to describe them.

The dogon, and the Yoruba are beautiful cultures to study that reflect that. Even the Ethiopians who practice Christianity/Islam still practice voodoo and what have you. To avoid complete infiltration they adopted Christianity to keep out the invaders out.

To people who are up in arms about the African American who clings to slavery and uses it as a crutch, I've always asked this.

Americas morality is based on a man who died on a cross supposedly 2,000 years, so who are people to discredit your forefathers who actually died 300 years ago?

Something to think about...

In short, the cradle of civilization begun in east Africa, Egypt, Ethiopia etc then people started migrating from there.

Take a look at the southern and western african mystery systems and they're practically the same thing, just different dialects to describe them.

The dogon, and the Yoruba are beautiful cultures to study that reflect that. Even the Ethiopians who practice Christianity/Islam still practice voodoo and what have you. To avoid complete infiltration they adopted Christianity to keep out the invaders out.

To people who are up in arms about the African American who clings to slavery and uses it as a crutch, I've always asked this.

Americas morality is based on a man who died on a cross supposedly 2,000 years, so who are people to discredit your forefathers who actually died 300 years ago?

I was going to post pretty much this. Evidence from this can be found in the migration and cultural patterns as well. There is even linguistic evidence that suggests Western Africans migrated from the East.

wheres the source on all west africans having original roots in egypt...?

in for links to more info. this thread is going places.

Wait...what does it even mean to be black? Like, no matter how it happened, a lot of Negroes have European blood in us, we often ignore that, so there are a lot of Negroes out there talking that 'I'm African' cash but are walking round with slave owner blood in them.

I happen to know both my folks white roots I acknowledge them, but will never call myself the slightest bit white...which leaves me (and most Negroes) in a curious situation...celebrating how 'African' we are, whilst speaking English seems a little pretentious and contrived, culturally we aint African at all...and trying to be so ignores hundreds of years of Negro history, jumping over the two periods that shaped our identity, slavery and Jim crowe, personally, that resiliance, work ethic and love is something im proud of.

As such I've decided to celebrate my mother and my grandmother, and their recent ancestors, it was those generations, from the first Negro to speak English as his natural tongue, to the folks that marched with brother Malcom, that made me...they were Christians, I don't care why...but you ask why Negroes practice Christianity...heritage and tradition...it's one of the few cultural traits we actually have.

Wait...what does it even mean to be black? Like, no matter how it happened, a lot of Negroes have European blood in us, we often ignore that, so there are a lot of Negroes out there talking that 'I'm African' cash but are walking round with slave owner blood in them.

I happen to know both my folks white roots I acknowledge them, but will never call myself the slightest bit white...which leaves me (and most Negroes) in a curious situation...celebrating how 'African' we are, whilst speaking English seems a little pretentious and contrived, culturally we aint African at all

I'm a mulatto myself. To answer this question like I want to I feel like a lotta jimmies would get rustled.

My opinion on this is, despite the ignorance the bible was attempted to be scribed in, there is still wisdom that will always shine through it.

People are looking for the mark of the beast as a bar code, or a computer chip. The mark of the beast is the human body. 666= 6 protons 6 neutrons 6 electrons aka carbon, our building block.
So you rob a people of their spiritual culture, and have them imprisoned to a lifestyle that revolves around maintenance of the human body.

The question I pose to you is, whose responsible for leaving a group of people in that current state?

Bruh.

Africans, as a part of their enslavement in North and South America, were forcibly converted to Christianity. This is the source of the African American Christian Church culture.

How do you feel about this, particularly? What thoughts or feelings or ideas does that fact bring to your mind?

Dog, I get what you're saying. But I think our discussions are running on orthogonal paths. Slavery is wrong. FORCING someone into practicing Christian ritual is wrong. But HUMANS forcing our ancestors into practicing Christian rituals does not mean that Christianity is wrong. My basis for following Christ is not based on the church, or my parents, or my ancestors, or whatever...its based on me determining that there is value for my life in practicing Christianity (or rather a relationship with Christ).

The ends DOES NOT justify the means, but likewise, just because the means were WRONG, it does not mean that the end-goal is. You know firms place candy by the register to manipulate you into an impulse purchase, but you still probably buy it. Why? Because the end-goal is what matters to you (consuming delicious candy).

Back
Top Bottom