Why don't sportcasters keep it real about Lebron?

Originally Posted by ImReallyDirkNowitzki

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

OP, you're absolutely correct.
This is how I explained it countless times to my friends ever since Lebron entered the league.

Any sport is a combination of skill and athleticism. Some sports demand more of one than the other. Basketball is a game where athleticism (size, strength, speed) matters a lot more than skill. The greats have a combination of both. The above average (all-stars) usually only have one and are average at the other. Take all teh all stars from the previous decade and see how many are athletically dominant and how many are skill dominant. 

Lebron only has one; his athleticism. That's not taking anything away from him but it is what it is. Take away 2 inches and 30 pounds from Lebron. Would he still be anywhere close to the Lebron that he is now?
Now take away 2 inches and 20-30 pounds from Jordan or Kobe, would they not be the same players essentially? Of course they'd lose some of their edge but their marginal rate would be decreasing far slower than Lebron's when you ratchet down the athleticism factor.

Skill wise Lebron is very average as compared to the stats that he puts up.
This is probably attributable to the fact that the game came too easy for him growing up. He could beat up on opponents solely because of his athleticism and didn't need to materially increase his skill set. It just goes to show how much of an athletic beast he is that he can dominate in the NBA as well. Very similar to Wilt Chamberlain in this regard. 
You act like Lebron can;t shoot a jump-shot...
I can shoot a jump shot. You can as well. Everybody in this thread can.
The question is on what level. The diff between NBA players and the rest is their consistency. Lebron is pretty much average, jump shot wise, in this regard. FG% won'

t show that because it takes dunks/lay ups into account which have an essentially (i'm prob low balling too) 90%+ rate on the pro level.

This is how I explained it countless times to my friends ever since Lebron entered the league.

Any sport is a combination of skill and athleticism. Some sports demand more of one than the other. Basketball is a game where athleticism (size, strength, speed) matters a lot more than skill. The greats have a combination of both. The above average (all-stars) usually only have one and are average at the other. Take all teh all stars from the previous decade and see how many are athletically dominant and how many are skill dominant. 

Lebron only has one; his athleticism. That's not taking anything away from him but it is what it is. Take away 2 inches and 30 pounds from Lebron. Would he still be anywhere close to the Lebron that he is now?
Now take away 2 inches and 20-30 pounds from Jordan or Kobe, would they not be the same players essentially? Of course they'd lose some of their edge but their marginal rate would be decreasing far slower than Lebron's when you ratchet down the athleticism factor.

This is probably attributable to the fact that the game came too easy for him growing up. He could beat up on opponents solely because of his athleticism and didn't need to materially increase his skill set. It just goes to show how much of an athletic beast he is that he can dominate in the NBA as well. Very similar to Wilt Chamberlain in this regard. 
The question is on what level. The diff between NBA players and the rest is their consistency. Lebron is pretty much average, jump shot wise, in this regard. FG% won'

t show that because it takes dunks/lay ups into account which have an essentially (i'm prob low balling too) 90%+ rate on the pro level.

Is kobe's 16-23 foot (midrange) shot average?

Is kobe's 16-23 foot (midrange) shot average?

If Lebron became nothing but a jumpshooter like people describe Kobe as, he'd be shooting in the 30% range from the field.

If Lebron became nothing but a jumpshooter like people describe Kobe as, he'd be shooting in the 30% range from the field.

Originally Posted by xsalvioutlawx

If Dwight Howard did, he'd be shooting 3%. Shaq in his prime? 2%.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

roll.gif

Typical sports fan way of arguing. As if we're only talking about the jump shot. That's just one part of the skill set. 
The overall skill set is weak. His athleticism may be the best to have ever graced the league.

btw, Shaw's skill set (for his position) > Lebron's. Shaq's footwork and sense of awareness in relation to the hoop was impeccable for a big man. 

roll.gif

Typical sports fan way of arguing. As if we're only talking about the jump shot. That's just one part of the skill set. 
The overall skill set is weak. His athleticism may be the best to have ever graced the league.

btw, Shaw's skill set (for his position) > Lebron's. Shaq's footwork and sense of awareness in relation to the hoop was impeccable for a big man. 

roll.gif

Why does it matter how someone gets their points as long as one is productive and efficient? Why does it matter? Because it makes people feel about themselves..."if only I was...".

Why would LeBron go to a post-game if he can score 28 a night on 51% shooting?
Why would he defer to his mid-range jumper?
Why would anyone?

Btw, LeBron's passing and ball-handling ability is second only to Magior and possibly Bird for someone his size and weight. To say he is an unskilled player is crazy to me.

roll.gif

Why does it matter how someone gets their points as long as one is productive and efficient? Why does it matter? Because it makes people feel about themselves..."if only I was...".

Why would LeBron go to a post-game if he can score 28 a night on 51% shooting?
Why would he defer to his mid-range jumper?
Why would anyone?

Btw, LeBron's passing and ball-handling ability is second only to Magior and possibly Bird for someone his size and weight. To say he is an unskilled player is crazy to me.

These threads never end well, and you can never convince someone else with another opinion to see it your way so there's really no point in trying.

There are MANY flaws to Lebrons game that people refuse to see because of his strengths.

And since people already brought Kobe into this before I did, I'll leave from this thread with this. The man himself has said this plenty of times.

These threads never end well, and you can never convince someone else with another opinion to see it your way so there's really no point in trying.

There are MANY flaws to Lebrons game that people refuse to see because of his strengths.

And since people already brought Kobe into this before I did, I'll leave from this thread with this. The man himself has said this plenty of times.

Michael Jordan is renowned for his basketball evaluation skills. Pretty sure he will be inducted in the HOF a second time for his displayed prowess in NBA front offices.

Michael Jordan is renowned for his basketball evaluation skills. Pretty sure he will be inducted in the HOF a second time for his displayed prowess in NBA front offices.

Got em.

Got em.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

also anybody who believes that constantly overweight Carmelo Anthony has a quicker first step than ANYBODY is out of there minds.

indifferent.gif
 whhhaaaaatttt.... 

Seriously , Melo has one of the best 1st Step's in the league.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

also anybody who believes that constantly overweight Carmelo Anthony has a quicker first step than ANYBODY is out of there minds.

indifferent.gif
 whhhaaaaatttt.... 

Seriously , Melo has one of the best 1st Step's in the league.

"There are MANY flaws to Lebrons game that people refuse to see because of his strengths."

So many flaws, he adds more offensive wins and point differential than anyone else in the league. Gee, what a bummer huh?

"There are MANY flaws to Lebrons game that people refuse to see because of his strengths."

So many flaws, he adds more offensive wins and point differential than anyone else in the league. Gee, what a bummer huh?

Back
Top Bottom