Why is the Divorce rate so high?

our concept of marriage is fairly new to the world and our culture is becoming too hybridized and lacks the communal support necessary to properly sustain good unions between couples. Plus america is a culture of people from other culture who have had to adjust their values to live american life and customs that kept couples and families strong loose their primacy once over here. America is an ever changing standard of what's exceptable in the world, but we can never stay one thing long enough to present our image as sturdy and rooted firmly.

our concept of marriage is fairly new to the world and our culture is becoming too hybridized and lacks the communal support necessary to properly sustain good unions between couples. Plus america is a culture of people from other culture who have had to adjust their values to live american life and customs that kept couples and families strong loose their primacy once over here. America is an ever changing standard of what's exceptable in the world, but we can never stay one thing long enough to present our image as sturdy and rooted firmly.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

we're living longer lives
less religion in our lives?

we've become accustomed to instant gratification
This. 
Young people are accustomed to getting what they want... and fast. 

If whatever they get doesn't satisfy them, there are plenty of other options just waiting to be obtained that are easily accessible. 

If someone has something that they once LOVED but it isn't HOT anymore, its "on to the next one." 

Those behaviors spill over into their relationships. 

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

we're living longer lives
less religion in our lives?

we've become accustomed to instant gratification
This. 
Young people are accustomed to getting what they want... and fast. 

If whatever they get doesn't satisfy them, there are plenty of other options just waiting to be obtained that are easily accessible. 

If someone has something that they once LOVED but it isn't HOT anymore, its "on to the next one." 

Those behaviors spill over into their relationships. 

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Right, but that doesn't mean that it's true.
Oh, okay. So, asserting unsubstantiated claims as fact is acceptable.
Oh its true. Its damn true. You are just playing devils advocate. One can argue that as a society, when religion was taken further and further away, the world has gotten WAY worse off. And DON'T sit here and say things aren't getting worse. Yes, they get a little better but then get worse. 2 steps forward and 1.8 steps back.
I am playing devil's advocate because I have yet to see any evidence that suggests that a rise in atheism/agnosticism leads to greater divorce rates, higher drug use, higher crime rates, etc. One can argue anything, but without evidence, your argument means nothing. With the rise in atheism, shouldn't there be evidence suggesting that the divorce rate has climbed because of the greater number of atheists? Shouldn't the prison population consist of a large number of atheists? Where is your data that supports this? I don't understand why you'd make the assertion and then refuse to support your claims. We can all make mindless, unsubstantiated claims all day, too.

I'll debate with you later. On to the thread as intended.

Also, both of  the bold has went up in numbers..

Oh its true. Its damn true. You are just playing devils advocate. One can argue that as a society, when religion was taken further and further away, the world has gotten WAY worse off. And DON'T sit here and say things aren't getting worse. Yes, they get a little better but then get worse. 2 steps forward and 1.8 steps back.
I am playing devil's advocate because I have yet to see any evidence that suggests that a rise in atheism/agnosticism leads to greater divorce rates, higher drug use, higher crime rates, etc. One can argue anything, but without evidence, your argument means nothing. With the rise in atheism, shouldn't there be evidence suggesting that the divorce rate has climbed because of the greater number of atheists? Shouldn't the prison population consist of a large number of atheists? Where is your data that supports this? I don't understand why you'd make the assertion and then refuse to support your claims. We can all make mindless, unsubstantiated claims all day, too.

You're not understanding what I'm saying if you think I'm trying to debate you. I'm asking you to support your claims because you have asserted your claims as facts that I am not aware of. I'm aware that atheism has increased. I even said that in my post. I'm also aware that the divorce rate has climbed. The rise in the two does not mean that the divorce rate is the result of more atheists, so I'll continue waiting for the evidence that shows that the rise in divorce and crime is a direct result from more atheists in the country.

Edit: If you can show me some credible sources that support what you've said, I will gladly say, "hey RKO2004, you were right!"

You're not understanding what I'm saying if you think I'm trying to debate you. I'm asking you to support your claims because you have asserted your claims as facts that I am not aware of. I'm aware that atheism has increased. I even said that in my post. I'm also aware that the divorce rate has climbed. The rise in the two does not mean that the divorce rate is the result of more atheists, so I'll continue waiting for the evidence that shows that the rise in divorce and crime is a direct result from more atheists in the country.

Edit: If you can show me some credible sources that support what you've said, I will gladly say, "hey RKO2004, you were right!"

I think it also has to do with the changing concept and definition of "family." Back in the day there were societal pressures and forces to keep marriages in tact, even if the husband and wife were not getting along, because of the idea that a "family" should consist of mom, dad, and children. The concept of "family" has evolved over the past years and has undermined our traditional understanding of what a "family" should be. The idea of single parent households are no longer stigmas, but becoming part of the norm. Therefore, there are no longer the same pressures for people to stay in broken marriages to preserve the idea of "family."

I think it also has to do with the changing concept and definition of "family." Back in the day there were societal pressures and forces to keep marriages in tact, even if the husband and wife were not getting along, because of the idea that a "family" should consist of mom, dad, and children. The concept of "family" has evolved over the past years and has undermined our traditional understanding of what a "family" should be. The idea of single parent households are no longer stigmas, but becoming part of the norm. Therefore, there are no longer the same pressures for people to stay in broken marriages to preserve the idea of "family."

I don't know of any correlations corresponding with atheism and the perils you speak of.  However, I do know that divorce has led to many of the problems that we are experiencing now such as a decline of the middle class.  For instance, 2/3 of women who go through a divorce end up in poverty afterwards.  Statistics have also shown that children who grow up in a one parent household do not do nearly as well overall than kids who grow up with a male and female role model to teach and nurture them.  By putting the two together, it is not difficult to see why many lower income neighborhoods with single mothers have such high crime rates due to the lack of positive male role models.

I don't know of any correlations corresponding with atheism and the perils you speak of.  However, I do know that divorce has led to many of the problems that we are experiencing now such as a decline of the middle class.  For instance, 2/3 of women who go through a divorce end up in poverty afterwards.  Statistics have also shown that children who grow up in a one parent household do not do nearly as well overall than kids who grow up with a male and female role model to teach and nurture them.  By putting the two together, it is not difficult to see why many lower income neighborhoods with single mothers have such high crime rates due to the lack of positive male role models.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

I don't know of any correlations corresponding with atheism and the perils you speak of.
Neither do I. One of the original claims was that the lack of religion has caused the increase in the divorce rate. Another claim was that the lack of religion is a contributing factor to the decline in society. I am looking for evidence that supports those claims because I've yet to see any research that supports them.

I don't know of any correlations corresponding with atheism and the perils you speak of.
Neither do I. One of the original claims was that the lack of religion has caused the increase in the divorce rate. Another claim was that the lack of religion is a contributing factor to the decline in society. I am looking for evidence that supports those claims because I've yet to see any research that supports them.

I think part of it is because now people are having sex with everyone before marriage. And now instead of trying to work things out people just divorce

I think part of it is because now people are having sex with everyone before marriage. And now instead of trying to work things out people just divorce

When you decrease police presence, does crime not rise?

Police presence decreases as a result of a lack of religion?

Police presence decreases as a result of a lack of religion?

Maybe if people realized:

Being single > taken but feeling trapped > loving somebody who doesn't love you back

Back
Top Bottom