WNBA Finals: PHX Mercury defeat IND Fever (3-2)

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

It was close. And high scoring. A 120-116 final in overtime? That's a high scoring game. And Katie Douglas' 3 to force overtime with a couple seconds left was freaking crazy.

Taurasi is a beast, though. I love watching her play.

Thats my girl, been following her game since her Sr. all american game (I believe it might have been the 1st female all american game to be televised)SHE'S THE TRUTH!
pimp.gif

^ First thing I heard about her that impressed me was back in UCONN, when I heard that she regularly goes to parks to pickup games against dudes, that way whenshe plays the females for the real games, she plays way more physical and strong.

And if you watch her, you can definitely tell she's another level of physical and strong than the rest of the girls.
laugh.gif
She pulled a board last night inthe final minute of overtime out of some chick's outstretched arms like 'Gimme this shhh, bish.'
laugh.gif
Ol' girl had her arms up in front of therim, hands on the ball, DT came from the free throw line and snatched the ball right out of her hands. It wasn't really this super impressive display ofathleticism, like a really hard play or something. It was just how ferocious she ripped the ball out of ol' girls hands and landed to go lead the break theopposite direction.

And she gets bumped so hard in the lane, takes the hits, makes the passes, makes the shots after contact, whatever.
smokin.gif

*wishes she were on the Sparks*
nerd.gif

Her physicality and skill set leading the break, Candace Parker's physicality and skill set underneath... *insert throat slash emoticon*

^ First thing I heard about her that impressed me was back in UCONN, when I heard that she regularly goes to parks to pickup games against dudes, that way when she plays the females for the real games, she plays way more physical and strong.

And if you watch her, you can definitely tell she's another level of physical and strong than the rest of the girls.
laugh.gif
She pulled a board last night in the final minute of overtime out of some chick's outstretched arms like 'Gimme this shhh, bish.'
laugh.gif
Ol' girl had her arms up in front of the rim, hands on the ball, DT came from the free throw line and snatched the ball right out of her hands. It wasn't really this super impressive display of athleticism, like a really hard play or something. It was just how ferocious she ripped the ball out of ol' girls hands and landed to go lead the break the opposite direction.

And she gets bumped so hard in the lane, takes the hits, makes the passes, makes the shots after contact, whatever.
smokin.gif

nerd.gif

Her physicality and skill set leading the break, Candace Parker's physicality and skill set underneath... *insert throat slash emoticon*

The 1st time I saw her play she grabbed a board and killed a girl trying to press her up the court and stopped a good 7 feet behind the 3 line and let it go*SPLASH* this took place right as I turned the game on, like 3 mins into the game, I was a fan from then on.

She's just another level, the only other woman I've seen rival her physicality wise on the perimiter is Tamika Catchings (who ironically is related tomy litle cousin on her mothers side, her mothers 1st cousin) she just doesn't have the skill set that Diana does. Which in itself really says somethingbecause Mik can do any and everything on the court, I've always said that she was better than Holdsclaw way back to when they were at Tenn. Besides thefact that she's virtually unguardable due to her ability to shoot either off the dribble or a catch, put it on the floor and get tot he basket on justabout anyone, and her ability to facilitate like a PG; Rasi just has that "IT" besides her skillset her drive to win is unrivaled in her sport rightnow.
pimp.gif

Tamika is REAL! Like I said, she can DO IT ALL. She can guard 1-4 and lock down; she can also kill 1-4 just as easily. I've always loved her game from the1st game I watched her play down in Tennessee. Like I said she was better than Holdsclaw was there if you ask me because of how versatile she was, you couldplug her in anywhere and she would be equally effective all over the court.

Man, the WNBA needs to play in different venues than the NBA, the attendance looked pathetic last night. I checked the boxscore and it was 11,617 people there.That's ok, but looks bad in an NBA arena.

game one was wild as a mercury fan had me kinda nervous but i aint doubt the mvp for one second. we winning in four games 3-1 got a feeling if catchings doesntfoul out we lose that game
eyes.gif

Man, can't believe I missed it. Mercury are fun team to watch, most likely they'll take the chip. Taurasi is a beast

The game was fantastic. I foresee a deciding game 5.
Regarding the name "Fever": The state of Indiana recognizes two things, basketball and the Indy 500. First we get the Pacers (really, a pace car?)and then lets celebrate our fever for basketball. For a second, they remembered the Michael Jackson was from Indiana, but I think they've forgotten again. I'm a Hoosier, so I can make fun.

i went to a game about a month ago. it was more entertaining than i thought it would be. paid like 11 bucks for 4 seats and a parking pass. went with mygirlfriend, couldnt give the other 2 tickets away. i stood outside trying to give them away and no takers.
laugh.gif

^ First thing I heard about her that impressed me was back in UCONN, when I heard that she regularly goes to parks to pickup games against dudes, that way when she plays the females for the real games, she plays way more physical and strong.

laugh.gif
She pulled a board last night in the final minute of overtime out of some chick's outstretched arms like 'Gimme this shhh, bish.'
laugh.gif
Ol' girl had her arms up in front of the rim, hands on the ball, DT came from the free throw line and snatched the ball right out of her hands. It wasn't really this super impressive display of athleticism, like a really hard play or something. It was just how ferocious she ripped the ball out of ol' girls hands and landed to go lead the break the opposite direction.

smokin.gif

nerd.gif

i wish she would have hit that step back 3 she took in OT....kinda wanted the game to keep on going
ohwell.gif

I've caught myself watching the mercury all season and they are very entertaining to watch. They put up that classic game at pauley last week vs thesparks.

Cappie, Deanna, and Diana are the 3 best players in the league to me. They make watching the wnba actually enjoyable. Seriously.

WNBA gets a bad rap imo. They are a lot better then what people give credit for. I certainly was entertained by the way Katie took over towards the end of the4th and ot. Fantastic hoops action.

StrongMind3:
i wish she would have hit that step back 3 she took in OT....kinda wanted the game to keep on going
ohwell.gif

Nah, I definitely agree. I'm pulling for the Mercury, but I definitely Douglas to hit that 3 and force 2OT. She didn't miss it by much,either.
shoeking2101:
Cappie, Deanna, and Diana are the 3 best players in the league to me. They make watching the wnba actually enjoyable. Seriously.

I think it's Diana, Candace Parker, and Cappie... but my opinion might be a little biased.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif
Deanna's nice, but if I were picking teams and I had to choose betweenher or Candace, I'm going with the female CP3.
shoeking2101:
WNBA gets a bad rap imo. They are a lot better then what people give credit for.
Yes.

Are they dunking all over each other, blocking shots 2 and 3 feet above the rim? No. But anyone who claims to like basketball with no preconceived notions orspoon-fed opinions being shoved down their throat, I challenge them to watch Tamika Catchings and Diana Taurasi and Deanna Nolan and Candace Parker and SueBird and Becky Hammon and Tina Thompson and Lauren Jackson and Swin Cash and tell me they're not exciting to watch. Same with Cynthia Cooper and DawnStaley and Theresa Weatherspoon and Lisa Leslie and Sheryl Swoopes from before.

The league has definitely picked up the intensity the past 2 or 3 seasons and taken a turn for the better as far as exciting goes, but the excitement wasdefinitely there before; it was just blanketed too heavily by the collective refusal to embrace the league as legit and just watch the games free fromcomparison to the big brother NBA.

Glad to see more folks being put on to the WNBA, though.
smokin.gif
Good times.

Game 2, tonight.
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

I'd definitely take Cappie over Sue, but not every time.

I think their difference is when they're having a bad night shooting. When Cappie's off, she don't care, she's still jacking up shots, and itcan definitely hurt the team. When Bird's off, she'll drop 15 assists on the night with her 2-9 shooting performance.

Cappie just didn't have it tonight, and Taurasi was just handcuffed and bodied all game.

Fever played phenomenal uptempo basketball, basically beating Phoenix at what Phoenix does. Kind of interesting, because Indiana knows they're a terribleshooting team from the perimeter, so they made this a fast-paced, 'attack the basket' game, and it worked.

Another nice game.

Can't wait for Sunday's Game 3 in Indy.
smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom