Would you call me a hater if I said Melo is this generation's Big Dog Robinson?

Such a lazy ***** comparison honestly, oh look theyre both 6'8 ish perimeter scorers without much playoff success so theyre exactly the same....stop it please, its ridiculous.

Similarities yes, but if you seriously think Melo is a Big Dog clone then get your $#!+ together or your eyes checked

So what Melo was never top 5, was Glen ever a top 10 player in the league ?

why does this stuff get brought up to boost up Melo? It's irrelevant unless we're talking entire careers and in that case, Big Dog was 2x the college player Melo was and was on an Olympic team himself but didn't get to play due to injury.
But Melo is a better version at this point. Big Dog flamed out 9/10 years in, Melo will have a much longer run of success.
So Big Dog was 2x the college player was because he won player of the year as a junior and didnt win ****, when Melo was the best player in the country as a freshman and proved it by leading his team to a National Championship?? Sounds like some GTown bias to me. 
wink.gif

And Big Dog was in his prime during the 96 and 00 Olympics yet wasnt good enough to get a spot. Melo not only has 2 gold medals already (including making the Olympic team right out of college, unlike Glenn in 96) but he also set a USA Olympic scoring record in the process.

All of this is definitely worth mentioning when talking about Melo because they are important pieces in Melo's basketball career and this argument is comparing Melo and Glenn Robinson's careers. However it is still not the basis of my argument. Big Dog was NEVER the NBA talent that Melo was. He never led a team, and his highest scoring averages were close to Melo's lowest. Plus Melo gets more boards and hes not even done yet. Enough said.
Melo was the face of the franchise and NBA darling then . . . BUT Chauncey Billups  was the guy that led the team and ran the offense and won games.
This made me chuckle. Melo was simply a figurehead despite dropping 27 a game? 
roll.gif

Getting Chauncey was huge for that team, but lets not get ahead of ourselves with the Melo hate.

Last edited:
Melo wasn't even that good that particular season.

He did hit his stride once the playoffs came though.

Both were/are lazy and Robinson never reached his potential because of it, Melo will be remembered similarly.

This post is not that absurd... Glenn was better than most people think and Melo isn't/wasn't as good as most people think.

So Big Dog was 2x the college player was because he won player of the year as a junior and didnt win ****, when Melo was the best player in the country as a freshman and proved it by leading his team to a National Championship??

Redshirt Sophomore*. Big Dog came into the NBA as a more highly regarded prospect, 2x may have been kind to be honest. Carmelo didn't even win BE POY, I'm pretty sure he might of even finished 3rd. So, no he wasn't the best player in the country.

Glenn was better than most people think

To this point, there was no question who was going #1 in 1994 (The Bucks even said so immediately after the lottery) and that draft had Jason Kidd and Grant Hill placed behind him. Those Purdue teams that he dragged to the NCAA Tournament and Elite 8 in '94 - there was no talent around him - he won the B10 and got a 1 seed. And had he not been hurt for the Regional Final they could have easily made the Final 4 and gone further. He put 44 on Kansas in the Sweet 16 vs a team with 3 pros.

Again, not comparable as college players and that's not a slight to Melo, I'd only put Tim Duncan side by side in the past 15-20 years in CBB - and TD did stay all 4. To say Big Dog had none of Carmelo's accolades outside of the NBA isn't true. At the least, he was more accomplished and more highly valued entering the NBA after only one additional season.

The Olympic team he made was in 1996 before he had to pull out.

Big Dog was NEVER the NBA talent that Melo was

No argument here. And in another year or two this topic will be really dumb since Big Dog fizzled out quickly. Carmelo's career will dwarf his, if it hasn't already. But young Big Dog was every much his equal.

Last edited:
They definitely have a very similar skill set... That being said I think Melo is the more dominate player in the comparison.

This comparison is old as time

It's validity ultimately depends on how much you like either, mainly due to non basketball reasons. Big Dog fell off quicker due to off court reasons. People don't like Melo moreso because of offcourt reasons. Both extremely talented scorers, although Melo is much more talented in my opinion. Arguably the most complete offensive game in the league today (long range, mid range, post, drive, handle, first step, etc.)

Melo is the most complete offensive player in the league right now,and its not even close,don't say lebron or durant.please stop.

Melo has clearly gotten to the point that so many people are used to calling him overrated that he is vastly underrated. He isn't LeBron but then again LeBron is headed down a path where maybe only #23 has been so that's not really a knock. You can tell who has watched him play since D'antoni was fired and who hasn't.

Please explain how he is the most complete
And then explain why it isn't close.

He really has no flaws offensively. Long and mid range jumper both solid. Excellent in the post and off the dribble. The first step is deadly as well as the stop and pop. Finishes well at the hoop.

Bron is a better finisher and more "dominant" but not complete. Not as good a post player or jump shooter. Durant is >= as a shooter, but not as good close to the basket. Same with Dirk. Kobe might be the closest, but he's getting old, and not as good down low. Can't think of anyone else close enough to merit mention.

This is why this thread is tired. Same discussions as every other time this thread pops up. I'm just waiting for the usual transition from discussion to Knicks fan trolling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom