Yooo, Kanye on Sway in the Morning. (updated)

promotion? 
who is pete wentz' demographic? emo punkers? why would nike market towards them? 

all those celebs/ athletes were blessed with the shoes through connections with nike. 

are friends and family released shoes "promotion"  as well? 

Yes, promotion. Funny how they were spotted rocking them right before they dropped. Wanna be emo-punks or whatever buy kicks too. Money doesn't discriminate.

I appreciate Ye' so much for his sincerity. Atleast dude is making an effort to give us lasting material. When, you have other people out here blatantly doing stuff to gain profit. I salute you 'Ye! He's a great cultural icon for us African-Americans.

Last edited:
WHAT?!?!? :lol:
"NT, instagram, twitter, rich kids" does not qualify as "everwhere" though. I live in the biggest city in America, and I maybe see a SMALL sliver of his "influence" daily.

Maybe you're a Kanye fan and you follow people who are like you on Insta/twitter etc. Well then your perception might be skewed.

I'm not saying there aren't people that are influenced by him. Most "celebrities" have some level of influence. Kanye's followers are particularly rabid as well.

I'm just saying it isn't as grand as people make it out to be and it's been done before (Pharrell etc.), will be done again.

I mean....Kriss Kross was "influential" once too :lol:

I didn't say I follow or wear those brands I mentioned just stated I see MANY people wear it all over. I'm not particularly into balenciaga or loubs myself. I like RRL denim and APC but I def remember when people didn't know about those brands when I wore em and now everyone on it.

Oh yeah everybody was checking for Don C in OGs that is the only reason Jordans still popular :rolleyes :rofl:

Most of these kids wearing Jordans couldn't tell you who the hell Don C is.

I didn't say I follow or wear those brands I mentioned just stated I see MANY people wear it all over. I'm not particularly into balenciaga or loubs myself. I like RRL denim and APC but I def remember when people didn't know about those brands when I wore em and now everyone on it.
These are the circles you hang out in and the people you know. Bro stop looking at a small 1% of the population. I mean seriously are you kidding me. How were these brands surviving then and making money without Ye? No one is saying he doesn't bring them to the forefront or make them a few more dollars. We all know he does hes a huge celebrity. But thats not his point though, he wants to be the mastermind behind it all and wants ALL of the credit. Like someone previously said these guys worked their whole lives, put literally everything they've had into these clothing lines to be where they are. And Kanye wants them to handover the reigns just because he throws a tantrum? LOL 

Personally, I think that artists are SUPPOSED to be pushing themselves to their own mental breaking point or even financial ruin in order to achieve new and different things.

I also think it’s sad that Kanye West is the only artist actively doing it.

Oh yeah everybody was checking for Don C in OGs that is the only reason Jordans still popular :rolleyes :rofl:

Dude if you haven't noticed an increase in demand for Jordan since Ye started on em heavy?

in 07 or whenever it was i walked right into an empty footlocker and bought my self some olympic 7's, had multiple sizes too, couldn't hope to do that now, the demand has reached stupid levels since then. :x

Snearker culture has gone completely main stream and he is a big part of that.

Last edited:
APC was definitely in the masses way before Kanye had his collab. That was the staple jeans to wear when the whole expensive raw denim thing got really popular. I know that was a small bubble of people as well but I doubt Kanye sold that much more for the company cause of his contribution.

One thing I can say about Kanye is, he genuinely did EVERYTHING for the artistry, and not the money, like most citizens do nowadays. Hell, he's mastered the music lane, let him evolve and top other avenues. For the record, from a HIP-HOP standpoint alone, you are completely clueless if this guy has not single handedly influenced hip-hop fashion post-2004. I'd want my credit too, if I've lured in money for these Big Corporations. And let's be honest, what was the last classic Nike silhouette released? Their profit is solely based off retros. The HTM and NSW departments are great but, what has Nike released, as far as shoes recently? And Jordan Brand is laughable right now.

Europeans/Designer companies just have a more aesthetically pleasing approach to some. If more American brands made their products more appealing, we would shop for them. When I go shopping, my eyes always gravitate towards things that may be Japanese or European inspired. Just cause I live stateside, doesn't mean I want to buy some American-made item, simply because it's "crafted in America". Until then, I will look overseas for inspiration or, look at the small pocket of American Designers who make a difference, when it comes to design. Andre 300, Pharrell and Kanye are the few (recently) who have done the most inspiring, as far as music and fashion are concerned. It's been that way for quite some time.

Dude if you haven't noticed an increase in demand for Jordan since Ye started on em heavy?

in 07 or whenever it was i walked right into an empty footlocker and bought my self some olympic 7's, had multiple sizes too, couldn't hope to do that now, the demand has reached stupid levels since then.
sick.gif

07?

roll.gif

hah, easy bruh. as far as building up then picking apart celebrities, i was referring to society, not NT.
True, but i feel like people expect too much from him. dude is talented as hell, what does it matter if he makes outlandish statements, or if he genuinely is an a**hole? Lets just let him do his thing, if we dig the outcome then cool, if not no biggie. artists are supposed to take risks, thats the only way to grow. too many people getting amped up by the media and how they portray him. like "HEY LOOK, THATS THE GUY WE DONT LIKE, WE MUST ALL THROW THINGS AT HIM". megawack.

You know what bruh, prolly my favorite post in this whole thread...

OMG kanye is so right all of these rich kids wearing designer brands are slaves..

please kanye give us more quotes on how fashion is like the french revolution and slavery..

laugh.gif
Fallout boy fans = High school kids with disposable income = Air-Yeezys target demographic

Its very likley non of those celebs paid for those shoes. Company's have been giving celebs all kinds of free stuff for yearswith the expectation they will get photographed while wearing their brand.

Yes, friends and family shoes are promotional items. ie Eminem IVs... the word of mouth hype is inexpensive advertising for both parties involved
what?

pete wentz got the shoes cause they collaborated with kanye on a track a few years back and he maintained the relationship.

how many pairs of em4's have you seen in person? whats the point of promoting a shoe that will never be released to the public? 

you do know there are so many f&f exclusives that never even leave the Nike office right? hype and promotion are two different things when it comes to shoes you can buy and those that cant. 

Did Kanye really try to take credit for the popularity of retro Jordans??  If that wasn't bad enough, now you got some of his fans believing in that as we see in here. 

Did Kanye really try to take credit for the popularity of retro Jordans??  If that wasn't bad enough, now you got some of his fans believing in that as we see in here. 
dudes gonna be like yep, if it wasn't for Ye I wouldn't be rocking jordans. 

mean.gif

Yes, promotion. Funny how they were spotted rocking them right before they dropped. Wanna be emo-punks or whatever buy kicks too. Money doesn't discriminate.
so i guess nike gave all them jordans to dj khaled to promote too.

they just have connections whether its with a nike representative or an owner of a retailer who got an early shipment. 

dont kid yourself that they tried to market yeezys to emo-punks, cmon son. if that was the case you would have seen actual marketing for the yeezys

I think the big thing people are not addressing is generational and national differences. For example popped collars was all the rage in Europe in like 04... Kanye who is very astute to fashion trends starts popping his collar in 04/05 and polo style shirts explode on the scene. I worked retail at that time and our stores had tables upon tables of different colored polos and the directions for our floor planning specifically gave directions to pop the collars on the mannequin's... Kanye didn't influence corporate to do this b/c corporate has analysts that are on the trends way before Kanye, but we still had customers coming in saying "blah blah blah give me a fit that looks like Kanye West..."
laugh.gif
 I wouldn't give him all the credit, but he deserves some...

Also looking at millennials I think people in that age group are way more into fashion (the "respectable" kind... not costumes like shiny suits, parachute pants or NASCAR jackets) than previous generations (focusing on the US demographic)... This can be attributed to the likes of John Mayer, Justin Timberlake, Pharrell and KANYE... the shift really started in like 04... First it was the John Mayer corduroy blazers, polo shirts with popped collars and bootcut jeans with Pumas. We had that Pharrell streetwear phase. Then Justin brought "Sexy back" and everyone has been on that dressing better steez with European cut suits and tight ***/fitted everything from Zaras or H&M 
laugh.gif
 This has now evolved into super high fashion minimalistic clothing... with Kanye really at the vanguard (I'm talking about the masses, of course there are always people that have always been up on fashion)

Older America could give a flying **** about any of this though

Last edited:

I think the big thing people are not addressing is generational and national differences. For example popped collars was all the rage in Europe in like 04... Kanye who is very astute to fashion trends starts popping his collar in 04/05 and polo style shirts explode on the scene. I worked retail at that time and our stores had tables upon tables of different colored polos and the directions for our floor planning specifically gave directions to pop the collars on the mannequin's... Kanye didn't influence corporate to do this b/c corporate has analysts that are on the trends way before Kanye, but we still had customers coming in saying "blah blah blah give me a fit that looks like Kanye West..."
laugh.gif
 I wouldn't give him all the credit, but he deserves some...

Also looking at millennials I think people in that age group are way more into fashion (the "respectable" kind... not costumes like shiny suits, parachute pants or NASCAR jackets) than previous generations (focusing on the US demographic)... This can be attributed to the likes of John Mayer, Justin Timberlake, Pharrell and KANYE... the shift really started in like 04... First it was the John Mayer corduroy blazers, polo shirts with popped collars and bootcut jeans with Pumas. We had that Pharrell streetwear phase. Then Justin brought "Sexy back" and everyone has been on that dressing better steez with European cut suits and tight ***/fitted everything from Zaras or H&M 
laugh.gif
 This has now evolved into super high fashion minimalistic clothing... with Kanye really at the vanguard (I'm talking about the masses, of course there are always people that have always been up on fashion)

Older America could a flying **** about any of this though

in 07 or whenever it was i walked right into an empty footlocker and bought my self some olympic 7's, had multiple sizes too, couldn't hope to do that now, the demand has reached stupid levels since then. :x

:lol:

I feel like the nickname "Ye" is a dead giveaway for an invalid opinion on Kanye West.

Ole pet name *** *************....

Personally, I think that artists are SUPPOSED to be pushing themselves to their own mental breaking point or even financial ruin in order to achieve new and different things.

This is ridiculous on so many levels.

Some of y'all are completely outer limits.

Back
Top Bottom