You are being lied to about Somali Pirates.

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

There are more than one "strain" of "pirate" fam...Read the article and the OP's cliff notes in their entirety.

I'm not referring to former fishermen my man, i'm talking about the PIRATES, which the writer of the article acknowledges are "thugs".

You can't make a topic titled "You're being lied to about the Somali Pirates!" when the article is making distinctions between the onesthat us "naive Americans" are exposed to, which the article ACKNOWLEDGES ARE BAD, and other vigilante ones. Mo's just engaging in what he'sfaulting the media for doing: misrepresentation.

You're acting as if you're open-minded but you're really trying to force your views about the pirates on everyone else. Tell me how this reply,and my reply before it... have faulty logic in any way.

I'd really like to hear it fam.

interesting. i can see these guys as being a coastguard like authority who does checks and balances on incoming ships. makes sure they dont loot and what not..but im sure thats not the majority.. its the few minority ships that are doing the bad they should be after.. you cant be fighting everyone

All "pirates" have former fishermen in their crew.

You're reading comprehension is lacking.

How am I trying to force my views on others...I put a gun to your head?

I barely even posted anything besides links.

You just enjoy being ignorant.

You still don't even get the basic point about the pirates....They are the former fishermen.

Originally Posted by TheBachellor

There are more than one "strain" of "pirate" fam...Read the article and the OP's cliff notes in their entirety.

I'm not referring to former fishermen my man, i'm talking about the PIRATES, which the writer of the article acknowledges are "thugs".

You can't make a topic titled "You're being lied to about the Somali Pirates!" when the article is making distinctions between the ones that us "naive Americans" are exposed to, which the article ACKNOWLEDGES ARE BAD, and other vigilante ones. Mo's just engaging in what he's faulting the media for doing: misrepresentation.

You're acting as if you're open-minded but you're really trying to force your views about the pirates on everyone else. Tell me how this reply, and my reply before it... have faulty logic in any way.

I'd really like to hear it fam.
Don't you find it odd at all the ships being held now are mostly fishing trawlers. The media is so quick to call these people pirates. TheSomali people are suffering because of evil and corrupt leaders who only line their pockets.
I find it kinda of strange they have no food but they have the latest gps and satellite technology to capture this ships.

they always demonize the poor.

also, its hysterical how they are even getting into these hostage situations... they can't get a few guards, cameras?
eyes.gif

blackwater made millions in Iraq yet pirates in dingys are taking over tankers?
laugh.gif
something doesn't add up.

Originally Posted by CWrite78

Originally Posted by KICKINHEADZ1010

All of it may be true but I doubt that the common Somalian cares... They're holding ship for ransoms...which implies that
they're in it for the money and nothing else.

did you even read it? it is quite obvious the "common somalian" cares.
I can't read. I thought we could just write anything...
tired.gif

All of it may be true but I doubt that the common Somalian cares... They're holding ship for ransoms...which implies that

tired.gif

i wouldn't be surprised. and relax with the sarcasm, you're the one that typed up a stupid response.

YOu just enjoy being ignorant.

You still don't even get the basic point about the pirates. They are the former fishermen.

Your spelling of the word "your" is lacking.

My reading comprehension is lacking?

O RLY?

From the article above:
No, this doesn't make hostage-taking justifiable, and yes, some are clearly just gangsters - especially those who have held up World Food Programme supplies.

No, they're not ALL fishermen like you're painting them out to be fam. The ones in the media recently were ALL armed, 3 with AK47s and one with apistol. So stop trying to romanticize the subject. Some MAY be "protecting the coasts", but there are others SOLEY in it for monetary gain.

So stop trying to paint me as the ignorant American who doesn't understand the situation... that's not gonna work. I'm not generalizing"OMG ALL PIRATES ARE BAD OMZ KILLZ THEM!!!!", i'm keeping it real and saying that there are SOME that are bad. You REFUSE to believe that.

As far as you trying to force your views on others... are you serious fam? Look at your replies in the other thread. Talking with the "you got to beopen minded about the situation" vibe and then calling dudes who disagree with you close-minded, ignorant and the like... when many had valid points.

All props to the OP. I'm seriously thankful there's some common sense left in this world. Instead of coming up with two or three words cheering on thekilling and looting of this poor nations' resources.
Why don't some of ya'll take the time to read the whole article and then reply with your opinion.

tired.gif

i wouldn't be surprised. and relax with the sarcasm, you're the one that typed up a stupid response.
Nice... you recognize sarcasm. The "78" doesn't represent your Iconic Quotient afterall.

No but really...you win.You're one of my favorite NTers. Got to go keep an eye out on my grill.

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

I dont care if they were chinese, mexican, or european pirates

they hyjacked a boat and waived guns at a captain

kill them
couldnt have said it any better

I'm not trying to paint you as an ignorant American...your'e just ignorant. Regardless of your nationality.

You expect to see converted fishermen holding ships hostage with fishing rods?
laugh.gif

Did you read the article that I posted at the bottom of page 2....they are hi-jacking ship and demanding ransom for the dumping being done off of theircoasts...they are former fishermen who now use guns.

I'm not trying to impose anything on anyone.

I just want to make it clear that there are two sides to every story. And that's the case for anything. We as society love to make things out as ifit's a Hollywood movie, and there are good and bad sides to everything, and that is a gross "misrepresentation" of how the world works.

Most people still think Japan attacked Pearl Harbor just because they wanted America to be involved in the war and suffer. I mean c'mon.

I can understand how you misinterpreted some of the things I said at the bottom though it is pretty vague. I had no intention to support everything they aredoing.

I was just trying to play Devils advocate in saying that maybe it wasn't such a bad thing if it brings attention to the serious situation there. Theinjustices being done to an already impoverished country.

EDIT: Bachellor you have to accept the fact that there is a lot of information that we simply do not know about these pirates. So we really can'tgeneralize when we say "they are doing it for the money," or "they are the bad pirates and there are other good pirates."

Like you said, the pirates have been there for a while now doing illegal stuff, but still nothing has changed and no attention has been brought to thesituation.

I'm sure money is a huge motive, but I still believe that bringing attention to the situation is partially a cause. It has to be. Why else would theSomalians support them so much?

Originally Posted by TheBachellor

YOu just enjoy being ignorant.

You still don't even get the basic point about the pirates. They are the former fishermen.

Your spelling of the word "your" is lacking.

My reading comprehension is lacking?

O RLY?

From the article above:
No, this doesn't make hostage-taking justifiable, and yes, some are clearly just gangsters - especially those who have held up World Food Programme supplies.

No, they're not ALL fishermen like you're painting them out to be fam. The ones in the media recently were ALL armed, 3 with AK47s and one with a pistol. So stop trying to romanticize the subject. Some MAY be "protecting the coasts", but there are others SOLEY in it for monetary gain.

So stop trying to paint me as the ignorant American who doesn't understand the situation... that's not gonna work. I'm not generalizing "OMG ALL PIRATES ARE BAD OMZ KILLZ THEM!!!!", i'm keeping it real and saying that there are SOME that are bad. You REFUSE to believe that.

As far as you trying to force your views on others... are you serious fam? Look at your replies in the other thread. Talking with the "you got to be open minded about the situation" vibe and then calling dudes who disagree with you close-minded, ignorant and the like... when many had valid points.

you a clown "fam." fall back, why do you feel like he is trying to "force his veiws" on others? It's true, you have toput yourself in those people's shoes that are watching their people die at rapid rates. What would you do? You soft, you prolly wouldn't do anything"fam."

While I agree, kidnapping people and hijacking ships is wrong, you can't expect people to sit there and allow themselves to be crapped on.

sorry..u was just wild annoying in this thread.

I wonder if abeautifulhaze would be so sympathetic if he or one of his close family members was heldhostage by the nice former fisherman guys.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

what the op and everyone in this thread cosigning him AREN'T mentioning is that piracy isn't a new occurrence in that region, it's been there for500 years. before it was europeans and asians, now it just happens to be somali. yes the overfishing contributes to the immence poverty in the region and as aresult people may feel the necessity to turn to piracy, but its not a DIRECT result.

as long as there's open water and the inability to police it properly, there will be pirates. implying they only do it as a result of the westerninfluenced factors you named is naivety.

its messed up how when you do something illegal so large scale it makes it right, or atleast makes it unpunishable

read an article like this before the recent "hostage situation." It really isn't America, or Europe thats after these "pirates."It's the fact that regardless of what the Somalians are doing, it is interfering with the money flow of the shipping industry. Money is the answer to99/100 questions. I would do the same thing if i had no food, no money, and if what I lived off of was being poisoned.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

I wonder if abeautifulhaze would be so sympathetic if he or one of his close family members was held hostage by the nice former fisherman guys.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I think you are missing the point. The point is, they were forced to become pirates to survive.

I'm not trying to paint you as an ignorant American...your'e just ignorant. Regardless of your nationality.

You expect to see converted fishermen holding ships hostage with fishing rods?
laugh.gif

Did you read the article that I posted at the bottom of page 2....they are hi-jacking ship and demanding ransom for the dumping being done off of their coasts...they are former fishermen who now use guns.

Ok, i'm done arguing with you fam.

The article that YOU cosigned said that some are thugs, and you just refuse to believe that. Either you agree with the article, or you don't.

So if you believe that all of them are holding humans for multi-million dollar ransomsfor toxic dumping as opposed to monetary gain... and not a SINGLE ONE of the many pirates (yes pirates, NOT fishermen) is in it for ANY gainwhatsoever... then you're the most ignorant person i've had correspondance with.

So when YOU call ME ignorant of all people....
laugh.gif

pot-kettle-black.jpg

Originally Posted by Nako XL

what the op and everyone in this thread cosigning him AREN'T mentioning is that piracy isn't a new occurrence in that region, it's been there for 500 years. before it was europeans and asians, now it just happens to be somali. yes the overfishing contributes to the immence poverty in the region and as a result people may feel the necessity to turn to piracy, but its not a DIRECT result.

as long as there's open water and the inability to police it properly, there will be pirates. implying they only do it as a result of the western influenced factors you named is naivety.
western factors are probably the biggest influence in this case
it is not like pirates come about for the same reason in every era and context

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

I wonder if abeautifulhaze would be so sympathetic if he or one of his close family members was held hostage by the nice former fisherman guys.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Whether my family was involved or not....it wouldn't change the situation.

They want money, they're not brutal murderers. We have killed more of them then they have killed hostages.

As a matter of fact...I can't find one instance where they have killed a hostage. The last hostage killed in one of these situations, was killed by theFrench military.

Back
Top Bottom