⚽️The Footy Thread: Lock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn Denmark. Those PKs. So frustrating. It's not often you can say that your GK was phenomenal in a PK shootout, yet you happened to have lost that same PK shootout.

This WC has been crazy. Since 1970 there have been 13 world cups, aka 26 spots in the World Cup final. Those 26 spots have all been filled by only 7 teams: Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, France, Spain and Netherlands. And we already know that a team that isn't one of those 7 will be in the final.

I have a feeling England will choke, and it will be one of those "iconic moments" chokes, where either a defender or the goalkeeper messes up and they will be talking about that moment for many years to come, where they'll be saying "Man, if only he didn't happen to choke at that particular point in time and space, we would've won the World Cup".

:lol: Blaming Madrid for La Roja’s problems when their team won 4 of the last 5 CLs...

:rofl:@ The La Masia comments... Barca B was relegated twice. Once a couple of years ago where they stayed in 3rd División for 2 yrs & once again relegated this year despite having the likes of Alena, Oriol Busquets, Cucurella, Arnaiz... La Masia is absolute shambles right now & the leadership has no idea how to fix it. Add to that clubs like City are pilfering players from the academy too. Another example of people posting who have no idea what they’re talking about. I mean do ya’ll know about all the coaching upheaval at the academy for the various youth teams (dudes getting fired or leaving), different directors coming & going (3 director changes in 4-5 yrs) the number of manager changes for the B team... it’s an absolute mess.

La Roja’s problem is they relied too heavily on Madrid & Barca’s old players to carry them. It’s clear that their becoming a shell of their former selves. Spain has plenty of young talent to fortify the national team but they weren’t blended into the mix well bcs of the reliance on the older players.

Bottom line is sport is a young mans game. This WC has proven over & over again with Argentina, Germany, Spain that you can’t rely on the old guard to carry you. You need to cycle in young players.

I give a lot of Spain’s problems for foolishly firing Lopetegui. Who knows what impact he would’ve had. He was certainly using the young guys given his history as u19, 20, & 21 manager... All of Madrid’s young guys have played for him extensively & best believe will play for him at Madrid...

This WC really made a shambles of this thread. It’s the worst I’ve ever seen... people popping off about subject matters they know very little about... like where do you guys even come up with he dumb *** s*** you post? I mean ya’ll are just making **** up & posting like its gospel...

Got damn this is silly...

Last edited:
Is it time for a shift in mentality/philosophy in Spain? At the NT level I mean

They've either been out by the group stages or round of 16 in their last 3 major tourneys since their golden era. They still produce WC talent but they keep trying to shoehorn the same style of play that made them unbeatable like it'll have the same effect in 2018 with a whole new generation of players and other NT's having years to come up with ways to counter them...

The internal politics as well as the stagnation tactically is a big part of why they are where they are right now imo

It was before my time but this must be what it felt like when the rest of the world caught up with the Dutch's 'total football'

:lol: Blaming Madrid for La Roja’s problems when their team won 4 of the last 5 CLs...

:rofl:@ The La Masia comments... Barca B was relegated twice. Once a couple of years ago where they stayed in 3rd División for 2 yrs & once again relegated this year despite having the likes of Alena, Oriol Busquets, Cucurella, Arnaiz... La Masia is absolute shambles right now & the leadership has no idea how to fix it. Add to that clubs like City are pilfering players from the academy too. Another one sample of people posting who have no idea what they’re talking about.

La Roja’s problem is they relied too heavily on Madrid & Barca’s old players to carry them. It’s clear that their becoming a shell of their former selves. Spain has plenty of young talent to fortify the national team but they were blended into the mix well.

Bottom line is sport is a young mans game. This WC has proven over & over again with Argentina, Germany, Spain that you can’t rely on the old guard to carry you. Our need to cycle in young players.

I give a lot of Spain’s problems for foolishly firing Lopetegui. Who knows what impact he would’ve had. He was certainly using the young guys given his history as u19, 20, & 21 manager... All of Madrid’s young guys have played for him extensively & best believe will play for him at Madrid...

This WC really made a shambles of this thread. It’s the worst I’ve ever seen... people popping off about subject matters they know very little about... like where do you guys even come up with he dumb *** s*** you post? I mean ya’ll are just making **** up & posting like its gospel...

Got damn this is silly...

Thought to myself at least a week ago that we wanted to keep this thread for the usual posters, but then I'm in this thread seeing regulars post some of the wildest statements they’ve ever made :lol:

la masia falling off is a myth. people just expect the academy to produce spains all time best midfielders every year.
the sooner barca gets past trying to find "replacements" for xavi and iniesta the better. there will never be midfielders like that again.

check the la masia records. the kids still dominate the competition.

our managers bringing them through is a different question but valverde is trying to change that.
Yea guess the sentiment comes from the recent lack of call ups and opportunities in comparison to the youth movement Real have been implementing lately.

Guess that likely comes down to the boards priorities and it seems like La Masia isn't anywhere near the top of their list. Feels like they'd rather take Real's former approach of splashing the cash every summer to fill the squad rather than investing in their homegrown talent. Probably explains how so many clubs have been able to poach La Masia products recently without much resistance. It's been a shame to see tbh

It’s not an argument, no one is making that ridiculously stupid argument (I mean look at who it came from), stop shining light on it. Just ignore it.

Spain messed up when they fired their successful manager of the last couple years two days before the WC started. Imagine something like that, they haven’t played well since. Before that, under Lopetegui they were running thru teams in WC qualifiers and beating Argentina 6-1 in friendlies.

But I understand why Spain would “feel” like firing him, he sort of cowardly shaded the national team in accepting the RM before the WC started, but still, it was emotional irrational decision by whoever called the shots in the Spanish federation.

It’s an interesting point you bring up. Everyone including myself is suggesting it’s time for their FA to rethink their country’s footballing philosophy. But we unfortunately missed out on them giving their idealistic style that could be so beautiful when executed at its best one last shot under the one man who finally gave them a chance to relive their glory.

But I still think it goes to show that if this style is so difficult to execute, that you need the exact coach and the near-perfect group of players, then maybe it’s just not versatile enough to stick with. It was disappointing as a Spanish football fan, and just a sad showing for the players to look so pedestrian.

Spain don’t need to change anything about the philosophy, they do need to hire a manager who can carry it out & also do an effective job of singling out young players that he can roll into the cycle & get them ready for qatar. Spain has the best league in the world that have teams up & down the table that do at least a capable job (if not better of course) of training youth players. There will be plenty of players to choose from for years to come.

I also don’t think what Lopetegui did was even deserving of punishment. I know people will think it’s my Madrid bias but if he waited until after the WC to sign then it would have made it very difficult for the club to continue with their summer business and they might have opted to sign someone else. And if he didn’t go on and announce it himself the word would have gotten out from others. So he was left with his best option to be just telling the team himself.

I see nothing wrong with the actions of any party (Madrid for filling a vacancy they needed to desperately and the coach for taking the job.) Lopetegui was a great servant of the national team at 3 different levels and deserved much better.

I said the other day that with how much he loves Fro, Mou is probably salivating at Paulinho’s game :lol:

Great for Liverpool to lock up Salah

Another La Masia talent poached :nerd:

I really liked what I saw from Brandt in his limited action

Yea dont think Lopetegui was guilty of anything particularly bad either,he was still going through their preparation without a problem and nothing negative came out of the camp until he got sacked.

The situation got blown out of proportion and escalated so much due to domestic political considerations imo

In the end,La Roja came out the biggest losers due to a pretty shortsighted and rash, emotionally charged decision

Spain don’t need to change anything about the philosophy, they do need to hire a manager who can carry it out & also do an effective job of singling out young players that he can roll into the cycle & get them ready for qatar. Spain has the best league in the world that have teams up & down the table that do at least a capable job (if not better of course) of training youth players. There will be plenty of players to choose from for years to come.

Sounds like they had just that before the WC,in terms of giving youth opportunities in the NT set up

Brandt to Liverpool could most certainly happen, its who Klopp chose last year over Salah, but thankfully for Pool, management went with Salah.

:rofl:

Hoping the Samba boys can take care of business today,I'm over all the upsets now.

Need these remaining big teams to show their class

Is Costa still injured?

DhGlFZfXcAA2Pd2.jpg

LB Gawd still out?

Also no Chicha?

As PSK has already said, La Masia is sadly in shambles. Players getting poached every other day it seems. I fear the day Messi leaves, I feel that if the board doesn't adequately plan for the future without Messi, it may be a few dark years before Barca can relive glory. The board is focused on the wrong thing, deviating from what made Barca important and the most dominating futbol team for some years. Throwing money isn't the solution and they need to look to developing their talent and helping create the next up and coming players as opposed to just trying to buy terrible transfers that doesn't make any sense and brings players that don't fit the system.

It seems as if they're undergoing an identity crisis and have a "keeping up with the Jones's" mentality and are obsessed with what RM are doing. It feels like Marvel vs DC and sadly Barca is DC.

Sounds like they had just that before the WC,in terms of giving youth opportunities in the NT set up
Lopetegui was playing the young guys pretty regularly during the qualifying cycle & the friendlies. Off the top of my head. I don’t think Pique, Alba, Busquets, Ramos, Iniesta, Silva, Nacho Monreal, Aspas should’ve been on the roster. Too old & too slow.... there’s prolly more I but I can’t think of it right now...

It’s ok fam.

I didn't recognize spike lee :lol:
You need to step up your movie game. Spike’s Malcolm X biopic (where the pic is from) is a classic. It’s like Godfather II for me, whenever it’s on, I sit & watch it till the end.

Rafa Marquez is just too slow on the ball. The guy had a brain fart in the short time he was on against S. Korea. I'm sure he'll do better against Brazilians 10+ years younger. :rolleyes

Wanted to see Layun benched but for Corona. If you want to put in another midfield reinforcement why not Jona Dos Santos instead? Predicting a half time scoreline of 2-0 Brasil.

Lopetegui was playing the young guys pretty regularly during the qualifying cycle & the friendlies. Off the top of my head. I don’t think Pique, Alba, Busquets, Ramos, Iniesta, Silva, Nacho Monreal, Aspas should’ve been on the roster. Too old & too slow.... there’s prolly more I but I can’t think of it right now...

You need to step up your movie game. Spike’s Malcolm X biopic (where the pic is from) is a classic. It’s like Godfather II for me, whenever it’s on, I sit & watch it till the end.

I definitely need to peep it. I’ve seen a bunch of Spike films but crazy enough that’s not one of them.

I’ll give it a watch tonight most definitely. Doing myself a disservice if I don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom