⚽️The Footy Thread: Lock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
F365 Says: Danny Rose and the temptation of a different path

Date published: Thursday 10th August 2017 9:40

Danny-Rose-Tottenham.jpg

On July 13, Kyle Walker earned £70,000 a week and played for the fourth favourites to win the Premier League title. On July 14, Walker earned £140,000 a week and played for the Premier League title favourites.

It may have been Danny Rose’s sensational – and for once that term is appropriate – interview with The Sun published on Wednesday evening, but this is a Tottenham problem that started with Walker. The pair are good friends, have been teammates since 2009 and share the same agent, Mark Rankine. Rankine happens to be Rose’s uncle.

In fact, the relationship goes back further than that, to their childhood when they would face each other in matches as children. “For away games they are always sat close to each other,” Walker told Sky Sports in January, discussing his and Rose’s father. “We’ll go to say hello after games and they’re stood there having a laugh. It’s a good relationship.”

So when Walker doubled his salary and significantly improved his chances of winning trophies, it won’t have taken Rose long to wonder. If people keep telling you that you are the best left-back in England, eventually you want it to mean more than mere words.

In January, Rankine spoke to the Evening Standard about Rose and Walker. One line now takes on added resonance: “They drive each other on. If Kyle is playing well, Danny looks across from the other side of the pitch and wants to match him.” Or the other end of the country, it seems.

Therein lies the problem with being shown a different path: it becomes impossible to judge your current route and not compare it to what might be. Rose does not even have to imagine. One of his best friends and contemporaries has just jumped up the food chain and, crucially, ahead of him.

For all the obvious and understandable anger against Rose from large elements of Tottenham’s support, it is worth envisaging what we might do in a similar situation. Your flatmate has been approached by a company selling pensions and offered £60,000 a year to your £30,000. He will also be allowed to work from home and be given a company car for personal use. How long do you watch him roll off the drive before getting busy making plans?

The most reasonable annoyance with Rose lies in his timing, coming three days before Tottenham’s first match of the Premier League season. His mentions of ‘playing up north’, ‘earning as much as I can’ and ‘wanting to win trophies’ may translate as unsubtle come-and-get-me pleas, but that is the language of the sportsperson. Rose has been more explicit than most in his intentions.

At the age of 27, and with the occasional injury problem in his past (and present), Rose and his agent are aware that he probably has one big contract left in him, and equally aware that such a contract is unlikely to come at Tottenham. As the minutes of Tottenham’s meeting with the club’s Supporters Trust noted in May: ‘DL [Levy] said all players were under contracts, contracts they were happy to sign at the time. They would be expected to honour those contracts. They wouldn’t have had a reduction if things had gone badly.’

If the argument is that Rose already earns enough to retire in comfort, that is a one-eyed view of the situation. At £60,000 a week, Rose is paid the same as Connor Wickham at Crystal Palace and Kieran Gibbs at Arsenal. Why wouldn’t he look around and feel undervalued? Now add in the hunger and competitiveness required for these players to even reach a point where these opportunities arise. Finding the journalist with which you have a strong relationship is the next step. Those unhappy at Rose’s choice of paper should know that Dave Kidd regularly interviewed Rose when at the Daily Mirror. The relationship is with the journalist, not the newspaper.

Tottenham’s project is to establish themselves in the top echelon of clubs while still keeping a wage ceiling and working within budget, but players cannot put that on their mantelpiece. That does not doom their project nor decree that every player will agitate for a move, but it does make situations like these more likely. First Walker, now Rose. The only difference with Eric Dier is that he stayed in line.

To repeat, that does not mean that Tottenham should be dissuaded from their aim, nor that supporters should lose faith. One of Rose’s public demands was that his club should sign players that he ‘didn’t have to Google’, but Rose may not have heard much about Dele Alli, Christian Eriksen, Heung-Min Son or Hugo Lloris before their arrival at White Hart Lane, yet he had certainly heard of Moussa Sissoko. Buying low and selling high when you eventually have to sell is the only viable strategy for a club below the top tier of English football’s financial food chain. If that makes Rose and Walker collateral damage, so be it.

Yet within that throwaway ‘Google’ line lies the root of Rose’s issue, and thus Tottenham’s too. Their approach, as admirable and financially sustainable as it is, requires a leap of faith from the players. At 21, 22 and 23, leaps of faith are alluring and mysterious. At 26 and 27, money and trophies start to matter more.

Cant see Spurs finishing in or any higher than they finished last year after the super quite summer they've had. Should still be good enough for the top 4 though

I'll say the top 6 looks like

Citeh
United
Chelsea
Spurs
Arsenal
Everton

:nerd:

Last edited:
No one putting Arsenal in top 4?

I hate to say it but i think city should win the league. I don't want to jinx it but they have the depth this year and should be challenging for trophies. I think a lot of the 2-5 finishers will be dependent on health and transfers. Is Diego Costa going to play for Chelsea? Is Harry Kane going to be healthy all year? Are united going to make any tranfers? Will pool have coutinho?

For City last year was a keep the course and I would like it if we competed for the league title. This season with the revamped squad seemingly fixing many of our problems I expect and City should compete for the league title. I wont say I expect we should win it no doubt because the league isn't a one horse race and that would be disrespectful to other teams that should be competing for the title as well. Also naive cause you can never be that certain in sports anything can happen (injuries, breakout year for a player/team that no one saw coming etc).

IMO when it comes down to it these are the main 3 teams i think will be competing for the title based off recent seasons performances and moves made in the offseason. City, United, Arsenal. I think Lacazette will turn out to be one of the best signings of the summer but its been overshadowed by other even higher profile moves in the sport this summer. But I think all that could change if Alexis goes to PSG.

If Liverpool got Keita and VVD earlier on I would've put them there instead of Arsenal. There is still time for them to get VVD not sure about Keita till next year. I think Chelsea will struggle this year alot of their moves have been lateral and some would argue downgrades (at the current moment not longterm) and their squad is thin I think that will really hurt them being in 4 competitions again next year. Spurs will still be very good but they have similar problems to Chelsea imo.

Last edited:
No one putting Arsenal in top 4?

I wanted to put them in the top 4 tbh but I felt weird removing Spurs and I can't see Chelsea finishing outside in the league. If I'd have to pick one to switch it probably would be Chelsea though,definitely think the Gunners will be pretty good if they keep Alexis on top of what they've added

Yeah i love Conte and his mentality but if costa leaves...and anyone major gets injured....i can't see them hanging in the top 4

The good thing is chelsea is starting to be linked to more players. Now actually signing them is the next step.
And I honestly don't see how Man United is better than Spurs now.

surely arsenal get back their 4th place trophy this year unless psg pick up alexis

As long as Wenger is still in charge Arsenal will be Arsenal. I think they are forsure staying out of the top 4. They really havent improved anywhere but the ST position, thats it.

These predictions are terrible. Tottenham not placing as high as they did before. United hasn't made much improvements cept adding Matic, thus giving Pogba the ability to Rome. We'll see if he lives up to his price tag. Arsenal just got a new forward.

These predictions are terrible. Tottenham not placing as high as they did before. United hasn't made much improvements cept adding Matic, thus giving Pogba the ability to Rome. We'll see if he lives up to his price tag. Arsenal just got a new forward.

Pay no mind Tommy, they're doing it to trigger us.

Notice they all left us out of the top 6 :rofl:

My picks for the PL

1. Citeh (Best team on paper as per the revamped squad)

2. Spurs (Last seasons team is still intact plus they won't be (shouldn't be) struggling with chemistry issues.

3. United (I really think that the lack of a really quality LW will hurt)

4. Chelsea (The core of the team is still there, pretty much. Finishing 4th will depend on how fast Morata gets acclimated to the league)

5. Liverpool (Potentially can finish top 4, but this Coutinho saga needs to clear up)

6. Arsenal (Alexis hurt to start the season plus lack of signings, except Lacazette, who I think will be great)

We're fringe top 4 right now with our current backline.

Our attack will be prolific, if we sign a quality CB we'll be a contender.

Takes:

-City should win the league, let's see if they can live up to the hype.

-Tottenham is doing things the "right way." They didn't buy anyone, but they didn't lose anyone either. Their young core should continue to develop, barring any injuries they look very solid.

-United will improve, but not at the pace that United fans want. Expect continued growing pains.

-Chelsea's squad will be stretched thin this season with all the additional footy. I expect a major drop off.

-Liverpool's success depends on the backline. The attack will be fine, but we aren't going to seriously contend until we fortify the defense. We also need to stop playing down to the level of the Premier League's bottom feeders. It's honestly tough to predict where we will be at the end of the season. We're probably the biggest "wild card" of the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom