*'11-'12 LAKERS Thread; 41-25* 1st Rd: DEN (go to 1st Rd. Thread)

Originally Posted by morningstar7777

I'm hearing these rumors now. Lakers refuse to trade Pau and Bynum to the Magic for Dwight, the Gasol brothers are thinking about playing together in Houston where Marc signs with them and Pau forces/asks for a trade there (likely for Kmart and Scola)

with the purpose of flipping some of those guys to Orlando? or are they just gonna keep Martin and Scola?

I'll play devil's advocate and say that the team we have right now is the team we will see on Dec. 25th. I believe we aren't going to get Howard. 

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) - 
Even Kobe Bryant can't figure out why the Los Angeles Lakers apparently are trading Lamar Odom to one of their biggest rivals.
"To be honest with you, I don't like it,'' Bryant said Sunday when the Lakers showed up for their third day of training camp knowing their top reserve probably will be shipped to the Dallas Mavericks for nothing but a trade exception.
"It's tough to lose Lamar,'' Bryant added. "Pau (Gasol) is still here, and we're all thankful for that. It's hard when you've been through so many battles with players to just see them go somewhere else. It's tough.''
Neither team formally announced a trade early Sunday, but Dallas coach Rick Carlisle and star Dirk Nowitzki both essentially confirmed the deal, acknowledging their excitement about adding Odom to the defending NBA champions' roster without losing a player in return.
Odom wasn't at the Lakers' training complex Sunday, and his teammates aren't thrilled to know he's probably on his way to Dallas, which swept the Lakers out of the second round of the postseason last spring.
"Especially to them,'' Bryant said. "We were supposed to come back and get them back. It's tough. ... Do I think we got too little? Who did we get? I don't think Mark Cuban is protesting this trade.''
Bryant and Derek Fisher don't know what to make of their front office's aggressive pursuit of Chris Paul followed by an apparent change of focus toward Orlando center Dwight Howard, who has requested a trade from the Magic, after the NBA blocked a megatrade for Paul on Thursday. Odom didn't attend the Lakers' first two days of practice after the team attempted to include him with Gasol in that three-team trade for Paul.
"As a basketball player, it confuses you as to what your focus should be,'' Fisher said. "I'm very disappointed and frustrated for (Odom and Gasol).''
Although Bryant expressed his faith in general manager Mitch Kupchak, he would prefer to have Odom in camp as the Lakers regroup from last season's failed attempt at a threepeat.
"You're talking about the sixth man of the year last year,'' Bryant said of Odom, who averaged 14.4 points, 8.7 rebounds and 3 assists while playing in all 82 games last season. "He played lights-out. I don't understand the criticism of reality shows and this. I don't get that. He had his best season last year, clearly wasn't a distraction, played his (rear) off. I don't get where that comes from.''
Odom starred in a reality show last season with his wife, Khloe Kardashian, clearly enjoying his celebrity at the main intersection of sports and Hollywood. Kardashian tweeted obliquely about her excitement when news of the apparent trade surfaced Saturday night.
Even Odom's contract is a good deal for his employers: He will make a modest $8.9 million this season in the third year of a four-year deal, which can be bought out next season for a modest amount. The Lakers' trade exception means they can acquire a player making Odom's salary or less without the usual complications, but it would be only one part of a hypothetical deal for Howard or another star.
With this chaos on top of the usual amount of drama surrounding the high-profile Lakers, new coach Mike Brown is attempting to plan for a season with no idea who will be in his lineup in two weeks when Los Angeles hosts the Chicago Bulls in their Christmas season opener. Gasol and fellow big man Andrew Bynum went through their third day of workouts on Sunday not knowing whether they would have a chance to use all this new information.
"If I'm here, I'm looking forward to the season,'' said Bynum, who knows he's rumored to be the main component in any proposed deal for Howard. "If they were able to pull a move like that off, it would be great for the organization, and I'd be in Orlando hooping.''
Lakers forward Matt Barnes has been in contact with Howard, his former teammate in Orlando. Barnes said he doesn't need to sell Howard on the Lakers.
While Odom stayed away from the Lakers, Gasol reported to the team despite the possibility of his imminent departure. He remains hopeful he'll stay in Los Angeles, but the four-time All-Star no longer knows what to think about his near future.
"I understand this is a business, and it's become more of a business than a sport nowadays,'' Gasol said. "It hasn't been extremely easy to be calm and quiet and not think about the different possibilities. But I'm still here, and I'm thankful for that.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated....index.html#ixzz1gGMO1V4Z

Originally Posted by WhatsLosinLike

Originally Posted by morningstar7777

I'm hearing these rumors now. Lakers refuse to trade Pau and Bynum to the Magic for Dwight, the Gasol brothers are thinking about playing together in Houston where Marc signs with them and Pau forces/asks for a trade there (likely for Kmart and Scola)
So we making up our own rumors now?

Nah, we're not.

KevinDing KEVIN DING
I'm told there's no way Lakers are trading Bynum and Gasol for Dwight Howard.

JonesOnTheNBA Nate Jones
Weird that I called this max offer sheet from Houston yesterday. Just assumed it would come in conjunction with Pau coming too.

Originally Posted by hunter2k4

tupac... did u hear this somewhere? that the Magic told Howard he would have to wait to be moved? this weekend has been an emotional roller coaster for me... I really think we should consider pushing hard to sign Billups... Fish can't start, let's just cut our losses, get a new Point Guard and use the trade exception on Millsap which most on this thread think he's available...

http://basketball.realgm....t_For_Foreseeable_FutureI'm on my phone so sorry for the link. I think our roster won't change one bit...SMH

^ Exactly. We gave up Lamar for NOTHING if we don't end up getting Dwight. If we don't get Dwight, we just gave away our season by trading Lamar.

I don't care how many times he becomes Lamar ODUMB, you don't just trade a guy for nothing. To make things worse, you trade him to the defending champs? Knowing Lamar is going to help them out to try and win another title smh. Like Kobe said in that statement, you know Mark Cuban isn't complaining about the trade.

CP3 and Dwight chat aside, all we really needed to do is sign a guy like Chauncey Billups and have kept our core of Kobe, Gasol, Bynum and we would of easily been favored to win it this season.

Now we're left with Just Gasol & Bynum as far as players to trade that are worth something. Magic are going to want both Gasol & Bynum which is insane and even if we get Dwight we are left with just Kobe and Dwight against teams who are stacked like Dallas & Miami.

30t6p3b.gif
Looking back at the first few pages of this thread, we were all so damn excited
laugh.gif

tired.gif
now we don't know what to think

I dunno why ya trying to hit home runs for. Last time I checked the lakers are a damn good team as is. Add pieces here and there and u guys will be fine.

Originally Posted by tim teufel

I dunno why ya trying to hit home runs for. Last time I checked the lakers are a damn good team as is. Add pieces here and there and u guys will be fine.

This... Now seems as the front office has just disrupted the team unnecessarily.

Yeah the front office messed up big time.

It is not going to be a good look if the Bulls destroy the Lakers by 25 on xmas. Mitch will be like "I still believe we can win with this group and feel excited about Walton being healthy."
eyes.gif

What will out 2013 line up be?

PG: TPE
SG: Kobe
SF: TPE
PF: TPE
C: TPE

Bench: dallas late first round pick

eyes.gif

Losing on Christmas day really means nothing though. We could have the best team in the world and we would still lose vs anyone on christmas day smh lol

Originally Posted by s dubl

This... Now seems as the front office has just disrupted the team unnecessarily.

If the original trade wasn't vetoed, do you think we'd be in this position?

Originally Posted by AG 47

Yes. Paul would've been a great addition to the team, but to get rid of Gasol and Odom was a stupid move.

Yes. Paul would've been a great addition to the team, but to get rid of Gasol and Odom was a stupid move.

This.....just went for the big splash too early

But if we can dive into this world of "what ifs" for a second, the story doesn't stop at acquiring Chris Paul. Reports had it that LA was looking to add a PF after that trade.

QFT!!! you guys should just quit acting like this is the front office's fault... they had a plan coming into free agency that involved getting Chris Paul, they felt they had a good chance to get a PG for the future and they went after it... up until David Stern decided to quit on his duty to act on the Hornets' best interest and negated the trade I believe our Front Office was doing a decent job... and I also believe Dwight was next after picking up Chris...

Back
Top Bottom