2007 - Whole Lot Of @#%$ Has Changed.

Quote:
I only have one question....And it's fairly straight-forward and I'm not expecting anyone to answer, just think:..if JB is no longer a division of NIKE...then why did the recent patent-leather one's have a swoosh on them??

Thats an easy one: Theyre hypocrites.

The 2004 white/black/red Air Jordan II retro had the word NIKE at the heel.
What happened? I thought Nike was four-letter word to those people.

Go read some of the comments by Jordan employees in old issues of Kicks and the Jordan issue of Slam. Youll be surprised at how committed they are to delivering exact replicas of classic sneakers. Speaking of the Jordan II, I believe it was Gentry who was quoted as saying that the II would NEVER again be given the retro treatment since they didnt feel they could ever recreate it to the EXACT specifications of the original. He made it seem as though the Jordan II released in 1994 was an abomination since it couldnt compare to the originals, which utilized genuine Italian leather. Obviously hes waved goodbye to his commitment to quality and integrity since then.

Quote:
Comparing shoes to cars? I remember someone doing that in the General Forum and Bastitch shot that down quickly. I've seen bums in jay's, its really not the same thing.

So, you can't even remember the context of Bastich's comments, but you just don't like the IDEA of comparing shoes to cars because they're so much less expensive. Is that right?

I don't see why the price difference has so thoroughly confused you. We're talking about product image here. We could just as easily talk about the image of brands like Cristal and Jay Z's "boycott" or discuss how companies can charge so much more for "top shelf" vodka when the average consumer can't taste the difference. You could look electronics brands and how important it is for high end speaker manufacturers to win over audiophiles. Pick an industry and you can probably conjure a relevant example.

I chose cars because I feel it's an example that most of us are familiar with. In the past, I've used "urban" clothing brands like Fubu as an illustrative example - and that's in the same price range. In short: just think about what happened to Fubu's sales after they "sold out" to the suburbs. They went from experiencing their best sales EVER to falling right off the face of the earth within about 6 months. It's not a coincidence. The explosiveness of their growth was DIRECTLY related to their equally impressive downfall.

The point is, there are commonalities among "image" oriented brands that transcend proudct categories.

Quote:
Good post as usual, but you're comparing the effect celebrities have to the effect brand afficionados/loyalists have.

Celebrities are an extreme example of the concept I'm talking about. It's often argued that NikeTalk members account for an infinitesimal proportion of Jordan brand's overall sales - as though our support doesn't matter in the least. This logic treats all consumers as equally influential. We know thats simply not true. How much of a given product's sales are celebrities DIRECTLY responsible for? Now, what percentage are they INDIRECTLY responsible for?

It's a simple matter of influence.

If celebrities indirectly influence sales in a manner that is INCREDIBLY disproportionate to their own purchases, the same may be said for the aficionados albeit on a slightly different scale. Of course, there are tens of thousands of times more sneaker heads than there are celebrities.

With Michael Jordan in retirement, who's really convincing young consumers that Air Jordans are the coolest sneakers? Mike Bibby?

Yes, advertising and marketing has its role - but ask yourself: how do today's young kids really get the idea that Air Jordans are cool?

Carmelo Anthony doesn't come to your kid's school and promote Air Jordans, but virtually every school has its share of sneaker enthusiasts who perform this role every single day. These are the guys (and gals) who DO care about something as trivial as "nike air" on the back of a sneaker. They're the ones who market the product at the NEIGHBORHOOD LEVEL - and on top of everything else, they're loyal customers as well. Unlike paid sponsors, they're CREDIBLE. Their loyalty hasn't been paid for, but earned. Its the best advertising you could POSSIBLY have.

Since we're all on the Internet, I'm sure we all know someone who's very knowledgeable when it comes to computers. When we're considering an upgrade, we value their opinions. If they tell you that such and such makes the BEST hard drive and can cite a dozen complicated reasons why, odds are you'll wind up buying one. Some of us remember the 'Seinfeld' episode where Jerry purchases an expensive tennis racquet because the manager of the pro shop at his tennis club recommended it. When we're unsure about a product, we look to those with greater expertise to help us determine which products and brands are the best.

Most of us will never own a Mercedes, but if automotive enthusiasts have been touting the company since before we were even BORN - odds are that's going to influence our perception more than an advertising campaign. Somehow, people feel they know that Mercedes has always made great cars. So, when they see that C230 they feel confident in its quality when compared to, say, a Saturn. Why? Is it because of ADVERTISING?

EVERY company simultaneously declares themselves the best in the business. If you talk to somebody at Kia, they'll tell you why you're better off buying an Optima than an Accord, Camry, 325i, etc. etc. You're naturally wary of anything a salesperson or spokesperson tells you about a product.

Its become part of our culture to associate Mercedes with quality luxury cars. Yet while one might feel as though this has "always" been true, it doesn't necessarily mean that this perception will endure. Negative word of mouth spreads further and faster than positive word of mouth so these associations can quickly change. Our generation has a VERY different perception of the Cadillac brand than our parents or grandparents generations.
If the automotive enthusiast community TURNS on Mercedes due to the diminishing quality of their high-end luxury sports cars, this ultimately damages consumer perception of the lower end vehicles even if these models NEVER experience similar problems.

Again, take the declining image of American car manufacturers, for example. Our parents or grandparents were familiar with the phrase _______ is the Cadillac of _______. Just as, when we refer to a person at the top of his or her field, we might say, _______ is the MICHAEL JORDAN of ________.

Jordan brand has arguably the best foundation to build on of any current sneaker manufacturer given its heritage and the current aura that surrounds the product. This is an incredible advantage, but its one that can be easily squandered. Even at the peak of his popularity, Michael Jordan wasnt moving much cologne, for instance. The product never had ANY credibility among those who took fragrance purchases seriously. Most bottles of Michael Jordan cologne were purchased as a novelty or as an ill-conceived gift for Jordan fans. Many of us have unopened bottles lying around to prove it.

For an image product to work, it must have currency among influential consumers. When Nike first launched the Air Jordan, they engaged in guerilla marketing. To ensure that the right people would wear the shoes, they actually began PAYING influential inner city residents to wear them in hopes that their example would effectively set the trend and help make Air Jordans cool. Most of us who are familiar with the history of the brand have heard about this in one form or another. Its a concept that helped them get to where they are today.

Simple advertising isnt enough. Our society is steeped in advertising most of it conflicting. Drink Coke. Drink Pepsi. Cigarettes are cool. Cigarettes will kill you. Drink beer. Drink rum. Drink vodka. Dont drink and drive. Weve been promised everything by everyone and early in life we learn that companies break almost as many promises as they make. By the time we reach elementary school, were cynics.

If advertising influences us, it generally occurs within the subconscious. Our rational minds arent particularly accepting of P. Diddys claims that Proactiv preserves his sexy.

No one actually looks at the ad for Icy Hot back patches and thinks, Wow, they MUST be great if SHAQ uses them! We know hes been paid to appear in the ad and, as such, we dont take his endorsement very seriously. For the company, its enough that Shaq causes you to pay attention to the ad long enough to simply acknowledge that Icy Hot back patches now exist and that, if by chance youre ever in the market for a disposable back relief patch, youll remember it.

Jay Z has a sneaker line he generally only wears at publicity events arranged by Reebok. Kids are more strongly influenced by what he CHOOSES to wear than what hes PAID to wear.

If a kid trusts Pharrells fashion sense above his or her own, theyll rush out and buy whatever outfit he had on in his latest video. If Pharrell pops up on TV to advertise a new line of hip hop themed chewable antacids, they probably wont be as eager to follow his lead.

Influence is contextual. You probably dont get dating and computer advice from the same guy.

Perhaps nothing is more influential than the HONEST opinions of those we trust as experts in a given field.

If you as an "average" consumer encounter someone who owns 100+ pairs of sneakers and can not only recognize 10-year-old sneakers but also tell you about the cushioning technology they use - you're likely to hold their opinions in high regard. If all the teen and college age kids who are really into basketball and/or sneakers walk around in Air Jordans, thats going to influence an 8 year old far more than any advertisement.

So, if the suits at Jordan brand are saying, Hey, we OWN the 8 year old market right now. Who cares what those 25 year old geezers at NikeTalk think? theyd better hope and pray that todays 8 year olds dont become any more discerning about their footwear by the time theyre ready to inherit our position of influence. Otherwise, in 20 years all of the sneakerheads will be wearing other brands and when people ask Who was Michael Jordan? the answer could very well be He was famous for endorsing a lot of crap like underwear, hot dogs, batteries, cologne, and cheap shoes. A lot of people think he was the best basketball player ever. I dont know if hes better than OJ Mayo Jr., though. Kids can be vicious in that way. Years from now, they might mock the Air Jordan fad the way we laugh derisively at 8 track tapes, pet rocks, and mood rings.

It all depends on whether or not Jordan brand chooses to BUILD on their product's heritage or mortgage it.

Quote:
3rd - The Team Line will be the future corner stone of Brand Jordan.

:smh:
nono.gif
:lol:
laugh.gif

all goes downhill now! more money in my bank and more af1's i guess, since they making nice colors now. its was fun JB!

* vicentvega8523 * td n tn * AirJordan18 * CitrusGirl * JRock6820 *memphisboi55 *fulltime hustla​

Meth made a good point. What would happen if there was only the team line to cop? They'd be hurting the brand because we (Niketalk) wouldn't be copping anymore. And if we aren't copping, what reason does the general public have to want a pair of Js? It may not be that drastic at first, but give it a few years and it will become bad. You'd see far less retros and flagship models on people's feet. Almost everything would be kept DS because nobody would want to risk ruining a shoe that they can't have again.

The best thing about what we were told a little while back, that JB would be retroing everything multiple times in the future, was that you could wear your shoes and beat them up without fear of having to drop ungodly amounts of cash to get a new pair. Now you can't do that. I don't want to wear my DS white/black IXs because now I don't think I'll have another chance to cop for retail. It just sucks.

As a Jordan Head since, about 1986, this really shocks me to say this but...

JB is making the Lebron/NIKE line look real good right now... REALLY GOOD... Just wait another 3-5 years...

It hurts me to say it...

The foundation is there -- Tinker and other set it before many of you were born. In the past, I couldn't forsee how anyone at "Jordan Brand" can mess it up...

Oh well...

Restoring order to the Shoe
Game
FAKEPOLICE.com
Expect the Unexpected​

Ladies and gentlemn the Air jordan legacy is on life support as I type this and the odds are truly against them to survive. I truly cannot belive at the direction that jordan brand has decided to take. Ladies and gentelmen the legacy of the Air Jordan will be dead in just a few short years. Do these people at Jordan brand not forsee what they are doing????

They are completley destroying The air Jordan line right before our eyes and it is truly a sad thing to be hold. For those of you who donot understand me fully as to what i speak of, let me elabirate for you.The pre 2000 retro's were directed towards the legacy of the Air Jordan line. Example; retro 1's, 2's, 3's in 94, and lets not forget the 4's and 5's that followed in 99. these all had looks and quality rivaled that of the original releses.

these days look at the bull @#%$ that they dump on us interms of quality and looks. Mist blue 4's and maroon 5's what the @#%$ is that. Yet somehow these releases create hype. Jb is palying right into the hands of relsellers and those that are ignorant of the facts of what use to be.

i can see the end is approaching rapidly to the Air jordan line in all aspects. The retros will be fased out, reason being thier running out of colorway ideas to @#%$ up classic air jordans example tour yellow 4's (looks like they were influenced by a school bus.) lets not forget about the worse decision that i belive will mark the end of the air jordan line. Killing off the Air jordan model all togeather and focusing on team J's. Whos @#%$ idea is that. Hey JB take a clue from GM about their decsion to kill of the camaro.

At first i would have liked to seen nike envelop Jb back under thier control. Though i dont see nike taking thunder away from the lebron & kobe lines as they have invested alot on thses two lines. Another aspect that doesnt make this possible is that fact that it would be a total uphill battle to ressurect the jordan brand.

Some people will say its just a shoe, and thier right. But is more than that also. Its a passion, a little something to hold on to what once was.

JB doesnt give a @#%$ about you or me. The only thing the care about is $$$$$ plain and simple. They have milked the retro line, slowly sealing the coffin as thier bank account get bigger and you empty yours.

Listen Meth >:
mad.gif
I understand there is such a thing as product image, but me personally, I'm not impressed by jordans. The only people that have to "settle" for team jordan shoes are kids. Jordans are not a status symbol anymore by the time you reach high school. Basically Air Jordans image consists of costing about $30 more than other Nike sig shoes and being Michael Jordans brand. Thats their image. The average person is not aware of quality (that has decreased across the board) and most people don't even play ball in them. Have you seen what most people rock with their jay's? It's not a fashion thing either.

Look @ the JB website. You can tell they are heading towards being more about athletic wear/shoes. When I see Ben Roethelsberger with a jumpman fitted, I know people that aren't even basketball fans recognize that. The jumpman is almost on the same level as the swoosh so I think the brand is established enough to go the way they are going.

We Takin It Way Back
Those were the days...​

hey meth, imma use your post for school.... :lol:
laugh.gif

this guy is so complete with is anaylisis is obsurd....

i always figured that once JB started throwin around da JB it would cheapen da brand....

now they have to realize no matter how "neat" da JB looks like they kicks its not as powerful as da mighty "NIKE AIR"
team platano

Quote:
Years from now, they might mock the Air Jordan fad the way we laugh derisively at 8 track tapes, pet rocks, and mood rings.

Exactly. Jordans, Air Jordan, Jordan Brand CAN fall off. It surely would be like "doing the impossible", but it is more realistic than ever.

Quote:
JB is making the Lebron/NIKE line look real good right now... REALLY GOOD... Just wait another 3-5 years...

I'm VERY impressed with Lebrons line right now. I'm kicking myself for not copping the II and III. I got a lot of catching up to do. I definitely won't be sleeping on the IV.

I've been VERY unimpressed with Air Jordans since the XVI, except for the XX. I've liked them, but I haven't been able to embrace them like I-XIV, XVI and the XX.

JB should just release alot of the retros that we all want to see and then let the team jordan line just take over. They need to release the sample white/red/grey-toe AJ 13's that we all wanted to come out.

We want XI's, we want Aqua VIII's, etc, etc, etc.

Also, bring out the colroways that you scrapped in all of the retro models if you feel like the brand is sort of going down hill.
J Dilla = one of the greatest producers of our time.

At this point, with the direction that Jordan Brand has been headed for roughly the past 2+ years, I would almost rather see them burn themselves out than continue to release 10 (mostly garbage) colorways of each retro model, many of which are far from accurate representations of their OG counterparts (esp. I-VI).

I agree with those people pointing out that Jordans are becoming comparable to AF1s and Dunks in terms of the quantity and rate that they are being released. While Air Jordans used to undisputedly hold the crown of being the supreme combination of style, innovation, and exclusivity within the realm of sneakers, they have now deteriorated to the point of being "just another shoe." Jordan Brand has done this to itself mainly by flooding the market with a ridiculous number of retros, new signature shoes, and melo's, not to mention team shoes. In 2001, JB released 25 pairs of Air Jordans. By 2004, that number increased to 35, and in 2005 the number was a whopping 51!!! In a mere 4 years, JB more than doubled their annual number of Air Jordan releases. Each pair used to be released with enough time for people to appreciate that individual release. Now, with 2-3 pairs being released a week sometimes, each individual pair loses much of its vitality.

Another major piece of JB's selling out is the large amount of absurd colorways being released. Not long ago, it was exciting to see a somewhat unconventional colorway released. Now those "unconventional" colorways have gotten more extreme (and ugly) and have become standard JB material. AIR JORDANS ARE NOT BAPES! They are not Air Force 1s, they are not Dunks. JB: please stop treating them as such. You are ruining your legacy in doing so.

This is not to mention quality issues (which are somewhat less important to me because I don't hoop in most of my Jay's). It's not over for JB yet, but if they continue the way they've been operating for the past 2+ years, then it is. This has been building up for years now but it seems to be coming to a head. JB: you have been warned!

when someone says 'i'd rather collect af1's or bapes than team jordans' you KNOW they're just in it for hype.

there are plenty of Team Jordan's that kill af1's and bapes.
MyBishukketsu

Realtalk, Meth ain't human. It woulda took me a good 2 weeks to write a DRAFT for a paper with that type of analysis. Dude a professor or something?

You passed doing what you loved the most
R.I.P. John LaBarbera
1989 - 10/17/2005
Even though you're gone, we're still a team

Method Man, your post was simply outstanding!!! That was a very well thought out and written essay. You should look into getting that published in a magazine. Not sure which magazine, but I definitely believe more people need to read what you wrote. I really hope there are some JB higher-ups perusing through Niketalk. If so, they should take the time to read your article and really think long and hard about the future of their company.

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I was reading on HB and itsgottabecorey said theres a rumor going around that JB is planing on releasing I-XII each month. So, in Jan -1's, Feb - 2's, and so on. Can anyone confirm this?

Oh and I think Gentry confirmed he'd be releaseing the Hares on 07 as a limited. I think he said that at the SC Event in LV, can anyone confirm this either?

I am not trying to start an rumors, I just to see if anyone knows/heard about this. NOTE: THEY ARE RUMORS.
EAM SF GIANTS[/center][/b]
[/center]

NT would be a much better forum if all posts were like this one. We have people debating, sharing news, giving each other encouragement. We are giving our opinions, not forcing them onto others. Virtually no one is flaming. We don't have any e-thugs on here making threats. If NT was always like this, I think we would have a lot less people making the move to ISS and UTA.

Just my .02 cents.

Sorry it doesn't relate to the topic.

Good stuff up there Meth.
I thought Nike was four-letter word to those people [JB]. -Meth

haven't read the whole thread but will go back...

but any of you guys remember the NTer ICQBOY or something? He had a sig with his prediction of the fall of Jordan Brand in like 2009. Damn I can't believe he may be right!

Team San Diego #55
ADD ME ON YUKU!

^ Yes, I remember that dude. It said 2007, if I'm remembering correctly. It's weird but I'm actually welcoming the "end" of JB. I guess I just want all of the garbage to stop.

Quote:
He had a sig with his prediction of the fall of Jordan Brand in like 2009. Damn I can't believe he may be right!

No, it said 2007.

He was wrong...
FOR SALE: DS Fire Red LASER AJ IV package- size 12- inbox me!

sign
parker
manu
dirk
someone that dont have a shoe and make it hot...it dont look good for jordan brand....and all there off stuff they make isnt that hot and hits the sell rack faster then shady's colthing line hitting marshell's
Mill City Is Where I Get My Style From. Rico Love

Wanted:
Tiff dunks ds in 10.5 and 11 Union 180 ds in 10.5 or 11

help my guy out with his clothing line... all are done by hand...hit him up
www.safaribrand.com

Reppin the 414
Holdin down Milwaukee

They say its going to end but does that REALLY make sense? I mean would you end the most popular selling sneaker in the market (besides AF1)? Ok lets say they stop at 23. They stop making exact retros of the OGs. Then they will make a whole bunch of retros of non-OG colors. People will still cop and hell they may even be nice. Still you can only sustain a company on retros for so long. The new J's like the XX, XXI always sell out and sell out fast. Makes no sense to end it at 23. Yeah its cute, thats Jordans number and it, would be memorable. But now JB just screwed them selves and now they can only work with the Team Jordan line, possible retro lines, and Melo. Those sneakers do "sell" but not as much as the Jordan Signature shoe. It would be like if Mc Donald's said ok no more French fries and no more Big Macs, but wait we still have Fish Fillets! Yeah people would still buy the Fish but they would be broke in a month. I'm not saying this is exactly whats happening but anyone thing that the JB could be saying oh this is the end to build hype? Make everyone cop as man J's before the "end" as possible?
[/b]​
Que, que​

Back
Top Bottom