2011 College Football "The Real been hacked!!!!" .

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Every conference we have ever been in has been pulled out from under us. SWC, WAC, CUSA, MWC, Big East, it never fails. TCU will somehow be left out of this entire thing once again.

TCU being left out makes me mad, but what pisses me off even worse is the teams like Minnesota, Duke, Rutgers, Vandy, etc...getting into the party when really they arent worth anything. At this point there are really only 2 options for TCU. Hope the Big East and Big 12 can merge, or just stay in the !!#!*%$ MWC
Please. TCU left the WAC for greener pastures and they did the same to the MWC. They should have taken a long look at the shifting landscape of college football instead of playing their hand too early.
Might wanna pay attention next time.

In 1999 Air Force, BYU, Utah, Colorado State, and Wyoming were unhappy and split off to form what was then the Mountain West Conference along with New Mexico and SDSU. TCU didnt leave the WAC until 2001 after the WAC was a former shell of itself...

Fast forward to now. TCU didnt accept the Big East invitation until AFTER Utah and BYU had already decided to leave. What did you want them to do? TCU has never made the first move to leave a conference. It has always been after other teams leave.
I'm well aware of the history. TCU might not make the first move to leave, but they continually panic at the first sign of upheaval. What would I prefer them do? Wait or not cry.

Please. TCU left the WAC for greener pastures and they did the same to the MWC. They should have taken a long look at the shifting landscape of college football instead of playing their hand too early.

In 1999 Air Force, BYU, Utah, Colorado State, and Wyoming were unhappy and split off to form what was then the Mountain West Conference along with New Mexico and SDSU. TCU didnt leave the WAC until 2001 after the WAC was a former shell of itself...

Fast forward to now. TCU didnt accept the Big East invitation until AFTER Utah and BYU had already decided to leave. What did you want them to do? TCU has never made the first move to leave a conference. It has always been after other teams leave.
I'm well aware of the history. TCU might not make the first move to leave, but they continually panic at the first sign of upheaval. What would I prefer them do? Wait or not cry.
Far from a panic. They improved their situation each time they moved conferences. And what exactly are they supposed to be waiting on here?

Far from a panic. They improved their situation each time they moved conferences. And what exactly are they supposed to be waiting on here?

Originally Posted by Kal Ripped Ken

Originally Posted by tmay407

You really don't think OU is pissed at Texas after what has happened so far in expansion talks? The only thing I can tell you about that is to quit watching so much ESPN (which, mind you, has an interest in Texas sports) and think for yourself. If you aren't willing to do that, then I dunno what to tell you.

sounds more like an OU bluff or aggie pipedream
Didn't look at this thread all weekend, but do you really believe that OU thinks TAMU can replace TU in the Red River Shootout?
laugh.gif

TAMU doesn't bring anything near to what Texas brings to the game. Throw out history and just look at the fan bases and amount of
money Texas adds to the TU/OU game and everything else surrounding the game, sorry TAMU doesn't even come close as a replacement.

Sorry to interrupt this conference realignment talk

Originally Posted by Kal Ripped Ken

You really don't think OU is pissed at Texas after what has happened so far in expansion talks? The only thing I can tell you about that is to quit watching so much ESPN (which, mind you, has an interest in Texas sports) and think for yourself. If you aren't willing to do that, then I dunno what to tell you.

sounds more like an OU bluff or aggie pipedream
Didn't look at this thread all weekend, but do you really believe that OU thinks TAMU can replace TU in the Red River Shootout?
laugh.gif

TAMU doesn't bring anything near to what Texas brings to the game. Throw out history and just look at the fan bases and amount of
money Texas adds to the TU/OU game and everything else surrounding the game, sorry TAMU doesn't even come close as a replacement.

Sorry to interrupt this conference realignment talk

So they are in a better position now than if they had waited for more of the dominoes to fall before bolting for the Big East? I highly doubt it. They miscalculated.

So they are in a better position now than if they had waited for more of the dominoes to fall before bolting for the Big East? I highly doubt it. They miscalculated.

Jesus some of you people are dense. Where did I ever say that TAMU would be a suitable replacement for Texas? I'm not disagreeing with you in that a TAMU-OU RRS doesn't match a UT-OU RRS.

All I said was that, according to a TAMU site's contact at OU, OU had supposedly reached out to TAMU to discuss the possibility and that you'd be a little naive to just dismiss that notion. UT and TAMU are about to quit playing each other after more than 100 years. History doesn't really matter much when pride is on the line and egos are being hurt.

Jesus some of you people are dense. Where did I ever say that TAMU would be a suitable replacement for Texas? I'm not disagreeing with you in that a TAMU-OU RRS doesn't match a UT-OU RRS.

All I said was that, according to a TAMU site's contact at OU, OU had supposedly reached out to TAMU to discuss the possibility and that you'd be a little naive to just dismiss that notion. UT and TAMU are about to quit playing each other after more than 100 years. History doesn't really matter much when pride is on the line and egos are being hurt.

Originally Posted by gumbottombandit

And you'll probably see TAMU join that bloc once we finally get formally accepted.
please share with us why you believe the aggies will do this.
Is it really that unbelievable that TAMU would do this? By promising UF, UGA, USC, and UK that we wouldn't vote yes to accept FSU, Georgia Tech, Clemson, etc., it basically prevents another Texas team from being invited to the SEC. TAMU just got a recruiting advantage to separate themselves from other schools in Texas (playing in the SEC), so why would they want to lose that?

the only team from texas that would ever get an SEC invite would be texas and know matter what A&M did if texas wanted in the SEC they would get in.

at the end of the day money talks. if FSU is going to bring in big money the SEC presidents will let them in.

Originally Posted by gumbottombandit

And you'll probably see TAMU join that bloc once we finally get formally accepted.
please share with us why you believe the aggies will do this.
Is it really that unbelievable that TAMU would do this? By promising UF, UGA, USC, and UK that we wouldn't vote yes to accept FSU, Georgia Tech, Clemson, etc., it basically prevents another Texas team from being invited to the SEC. TAMU just got a recruiting advantage to separate themselves from other schools in Texas (playing in the SEC), so why would they want to lose that?

the only team from texas that would ever get an SEC invite would be texas and know matter what A&M did if texas wanted in the SEC they would get in.

at the end of the day money talks. if FSU is going to bring in big money the SEC presidents will let them in.

I wouldn't doubt that Texas would find a way in, if they get rid of the Longhorn Network. I'm not so sure they get in with the network, though.

And from everything I've read/heard, that voting bloc would block any expansion that doesn't involve adding new states. But like you said, money talks.

On a side note, you'll never convince me that TAMU's acceptance was unanimous. My feeling is it was only released that way for P.R. reasons.

I wouldn't doubt that Texas would find a way in, if they get rid of the Longhorn Network. I'm not so sure they get in with the network, though.

And from everything I've read/heard, that voting bloc would block any expansion that doesn't involve adding new states. But like you said, money talks.

On a side note, you'll never convince me that TAMU's acceptance was unanimous. My feeling is it was only released that way for P.R. reasons.

ok, i didn't know they were playing the "scratch our backs, we'll scratch yours" angle.  i have to applaud A&M for trying to shut off any other tx school from joining the SEC, but i don't get why it is believed that A&M will have a recruiting advantage over any other tx school anymore then what they already have?  now that they've been accepted, these tx kids are suppose to believe that A&M is the only gateway to the SEC?  LSU has been recruiting tx heavy forever, and that's just one SEC school.   

ok, i didn't know they were playing the "scratch our backs, we'll scratch yours" angle.  i have to applaud A&M for trying to shut off any other tx school from joining the SEC, but i don't get why it is believed that A&M will have a recruiting advantage over any other tx school anymore then what they already have?  now that they've been accepted, these tx kids are suppose to believe that A&M is the only gateway to the SEC?  LSU has been recruiting tx heavy forever, and that's just one SEC school.   

Sorry if these last few posts have come off wrong, caught me in a bad mood.

No doubt the move opens up Texas even more to other SEC schools. But we've been in UT's shadow for a long time now, so any advantage we can get needs to be milked for all it's worth. There's also the hope that we might be able to snag a kid or two each year that otherwise might not have been interested in us.

Just about all of the kids the TAMU Rivals and 24/7 guys have talked to say that TAMU to the SEC is appealing and only helps TAMU from a recruitment standpoint. Colin Blake, our latest commit, had OU on top for a while then changed to TAMU when the SEC talks got going. I doubt anybody else cares much about it, or I'd take the time to compile quotes from the kids that say TAMU to the SEC definitely helps.

Sorry if these last few posts have come off wrong, caught me in a bad mood.

No doubt the move opens up Texas even more to other SEC schools. But we've been in UT's shadow for a long time now, so any advantage we can get needs to be milked for all it's worth. There's also the hope that we might be able to snag a kid or two each year that otherwise might not have been interested in us.

Just about all of the kids the TAMU Rivals and 24/7 guys have talked to say that TAMU to the SEC is appealing and only helps TAMU from a recruitment standpoint. Colin Blake, our latest commit, had OU on top for a while then changed to TAMU when the SEC talks got going. I doubt anybody else cares much about it, or I'd take the time to compile quotes from the kids that say TAMU to the SEC definitely helps.

Originally Posted by DaGameTRIPLE

Originally Posted by GuttaGetsBusy

Who was the NTer with the "#NT" sign in the front row @ College Gameday? 
nerd.gif

Lol..just now seeing this...but...it was me...i was rockin' a white tee with a Magics fitted....great time out there......

bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

Originally Posted by DaGameTRIPLE

Originally Posted by GuttaGetsBusy

Who was the NTer with the "#NT" sign in the front row @ College Gameday? 
nerd.gif

Lol..just now seeing this...but...it was me...i was rockin' a white tee with a Magics fitted....great time out there......

How late am I on this Tyron Swoopes kid? Sounds like a problem.
Spoiler [+]
Tyrone Swoopes striving to be the best
EmailPrintComments
By Damon Sayles
ESPN Recruiting
Archive
WHITEWRIGHT, Texas -- Vince Young. Cam Newton. Tyrone Swoopes.

On a daily basis, in the tiny north Texas town of Whitewright, Swoopes fields questions and accepts compliments from those who watch him play. Whether it's at the local Exxon gas station on the corner on U.S. 69 or immediately after a game under the lights at Tiger Stadium, the junior star quarterback is constantly entertaining thoughts that he reminds fans of a younger Young or Newton.

[+] Enlarge
Damon Sayles/ESPN.com
Junior QB Tyrone Swoopes already has offers from TCU, Texas, Baylor and Stanford.
"I hear Vince Young a lot," said Swoopes, physically a man among boys at 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds. "I try not to let it get in my head. I just think that Vince Young is Vince Young and Tyrone Swoopes is Tyrone Swoopes. I'm just trying to make my own name."

To Swoopes, it's an honor simply to be mentioned in the same sentence as two NFL quarterbacks, but the comparisons aren't enough for him. A second-generation Whitewright student, Swoopes has aspirations of being better than good, and many feel he's already done enough to be considered one of the nation's elite athletes in the Class of 2013.

"This is my 24th year of coaching, and I've been around some special ones," Whitewright coach Jack Wylie said, "but he may be the most special I've coached."

Wylie and Whitewright offensive coordinator J.D. Henderson both coached star Texas A&M receiver Jeff Fuller when he was a high school sensation at McKinney (Texas). Henderson coached former Texas Tech and NFL running back Ricky Williams when he was cutting his teeth at Duncanville. Swoopes, according to Wylie and Henderson, has the tools to be better than both Fuller and Williams.

A varsity contributor since freshman year, Swoopes has led Whitewright to a 3-0 record this season, and has accounted for more than 1,000 total yards and 14 touchdowns, nine of them rushing. Swoopes is averaging more than 11 yards per carry. He tallied more than 3,000 total yards and 38 tackles as a sophomore last season.

Swoopes also is a free safety on defense. He has recorded 16 tackles, three interceptions and two fumble recoveries in three games.

More than a dozen schools have expressed major interest in Swoopes, and the junior has picked up early offers from TCU, Texas, Baylor and Stanford. Swoopes possesses size, very good speed (he runs a 4.5-second 40-yard dash) and a cannon for an arm. He can throw the ball 70 yards.

What makes him such a prospect is that he is still considered somewhat raw behind center. He's been playing quarterback only since the seventh grade. Swoopes' mother, Elizabeth, remembers when he first began playing organized ball in the second grade. Back then, Swoopes was a running back and linebacker, and similar to now, he took advantage of his size against the other kids.

"He really stood out on the field," Elizabeth Swoopes said. "His thing was defense; he loved hitting people."

That physical nature has stayed with Swoopes throughout his high school career. Wylie awards a Whitewright player each week for delivering the biggest hit in a game. Swoopes, who bench presses 240 pounds and squats 410, has won that award twice -- for his play at quarterback, not at safety. Many defenders have challenged Swoopes head to head on a tackle only to come up on the losing end.

"
When I first got here [three seasons ago], they had gone through the first losing season and non-playoff year in 10 years. There are several reasons why we turned it on last year and went from 2-8 to 10-0. We had a great senior class, but it also was because of Tyrone and what he did at the quarterback position.
"
-- Whitewright coach Jack Wylie
"He doesn't shy away from contact, so we can do things like run a counter or quarterback isolation plays with him," Wylie said. "I think that's where he's at his best. I don't know about intimidation, but I know he carries a load of respect."

Henderson added: "When I first got here, I watched him throw the football and watched how explosive he is running the football. He's not a finesse runner. He's a physical kid who wants to hit you. I think the comparisons to Cam Newton and Vince Young are very good comparisons, because he's tall, strong and physical."

In addition to the schools that have offered, Swoopes has heard from Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Arkansas, among others. Getting a good education is just as important for Swoopes as playing for a winning program -- and rightfully so, as his mother was the valedictorian of her high school class when she attended Whitewright.

For what it's worth, Swoopes is an A-B student. His mother, a sixth-grade world history and geography teacher, as well as a girls' athletics coach in the Whitewright school district, keeps him grounded academically.

"I know if I don't pass my classes, I don't play," he said. "She doesn't play."

Elizabeth Swoopes added: "Even if you have all the talent in the world, if you don't take care of your business academically, you won't see the field. That's how I was raised. My job is to go to work and pay bills. His job is to go to class and get good grades. Football may be a way to eventually pay for college, but you can't do that if you don't go to class."

Wylie said Swoopes, in addition to being one of the most dynamic athletes he's coached, might be one of the most humble. Swoopes has a total understanding of honing his craft and appreciating the talents he possesses. He still has another year of high school after this, and as the accolades, compliments and comparisons come, the hard work must continue.

After all, being "good" isn't enough for him.

"I've seen people who come from Whitewright who are really good, and in the blink of an eye, it all can be taken away from you," Swoopes said. "I want to be the best I can be, and I'm willing to work hard to be the best I can."

How late am I on this Tyron Swoopes kid? Sounds like a problem.
Spoiler [+]
Tyrone Swoopes striving to be the best
EmailPrintComments
By Damon Sayles
ESPN Recruiting
Archive
WHITEWRIGHT, Texas -- Vince Young. Cam Newton. Tyrone Swoopes.

On a daily basis, in the tiny north Texas town of Whitewright, Swoopes fields questions and accepts compliments from those who watch him play. Whether it's at the local Exxon gas station on the corner on U.S. 69 or immediately after a game under the lights at Tiger Stadium, the junior star quarterback is constantly entertaining thoughts that he reminds fans of a younger Young or Newton.

[+] Enlarge
Damon Sayles/ESPN.com
Junior QB Tyrone Swoopes already has offers from TCU, Texas, Baylor and Stanford.
"I hear Vince Young a lot," said Swoopes, physically a man among boys at 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds. "I try not to let it get in my head. I just think that Vince Young is Vince Young and Tyrone Swoopes is Tyrone Swoopes. I'm just trying to make my own name."

To Swoopes, it's an honor simply to be mentioned in the same sentence as two NFL quarterbacks, but the comparisons aren't enough for him. A second-generation Whitewright student, Swoopes has aspirations of being better than good, and many feel he's already done enough to be considered one of the nation's elite athletes in the Class of 2013.

"This is my 24th year of coaching, and I've been around some special ones," Whitewright coach Jack Wylie said, "but he may be the most special I've coached."

Wylie and Whitewright offensive coordinator J.D. Henderson both coached star Texas A&M receiver Jeff Fuller when he was a high school sensation at McKinney (Texas). Henderson coached former Texas Tech and NFL running back Ricky Williams when he was cutting his teeth at Duncanville. Swoopes, according to Wylie and Henderson, has the tools to be better than both Fuller and Williams.

A varsity contributor since freshman year, Swoopes has led Whitewright to a 3-0 record this season, and has accounted for more than 1,000 total yards and 14 touchdowns, nine of them rushing. Swoopes is averaging more than 11 yards per carry. He tallied more than 3,000 total yards and 38 tackles as a sophomore last season.

Swoopes also is a free safety on defense. He has recorded 16 tackles, three interceptions and two fumble recoveries in three games.

More than a dozen schools have expressed major interest in Swoopes, and the junior has picked up early offers from TCU, Texas, Baylor and Stanford. Swoopes possesses size, very good speed (he runs a 4.5-second 40-yard dash) and a cannon for an arm. He can throw the ball 70 yards.

What makes him such a prospect is that he is still considered somewhat raw behind center. He's been playing quarterback only since the seventh grade. Swoopes' mother, Elizabeth, remembers when he first began playing organized ball in the second grade. Back then, Swoopes was a running back and linebacker, and similar to now, he took advantage of his size against the other kids.

"He really stood out on the field," Elizabeth Swoopes said. "His thing was defense; he loved hitting people."

That physical nature has stayed with Swoopes throughout his high school career. Wylie awards a Whitewright player each week for delivering the biggest hit in a game. Swoopes, who bench presses 240 pounds and squats 410, has won that award twice -- for his play at quarterback, not at safety. Many defenders have challenged Swoopes head to head on a tackle only to come up on the losing end.

"
When I first got here [three seasons ago], they had gone through the first losing season and non-playoff year in 10 years. There are several reasons why we turned it on last year and went from 2-8 to 10-0. We had a great senior class, but it also was because of Tyrone and what he did at the quarterback position.
"
-- Whitewright coach Jack Wylie
"He doesn't shy away from contact, so we can do things like run a counter or quarterback isolation plays with him," Wylie said. "I think that's where he's at his best. I don't know about intimidation, but I know he carries a load of respect."

Henderson added: "When I first got here, I watched him throw the football and watched how explosive he is running the football. He's not a finesse runner. He's a physical kid who wants to hit you. I think the comparisons to Cam Newton and Vince Young are very good comparisons, because he's tall, strong and physical."

In addition to the schools that have offered, Swoopes has heard from Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Arkansas, among others. Getting a good education is just as important for Swoopes as playing for a winning program -- and rightfully so, as his mother was the valedictorian of her high school class when she attended Whitewright.

For what it's worth, Swoopes is an A-B student. His mother, a sixth-grade world history and geography teacher, as well as a girls' athletics coach in the Whitewright school district, keeps him grounded academically.

"I know if I don't pass my classes, I don't play," he said. "She doesn't play."

Elizabeth Swoopes added: "Even if you have all the talent in the world, if you don't take care of your business academically, you won't see the field. That's how I was raised. My job is to go to work and pay bills. His job is to go to class and get good grades. Football may be a way to eventually pay for college, but you can't do that if you don't go to class."

Wylie said Swoopes, in addition to being one of the most dynamic athletes he's coached, might be one of the most humble. Swoopes has a total understanding of honing his craft and appreciating the talents he possesses. He still has another year of high school after this, and as the accolades, compliments and comparisons come, the hard work must continue.

After all, being "good" isn't enough for him.

"I've seen people who come from Whitewright who are really good, and in the blink of an eye, it all can be taken away from you," Swoopes said. "I want to be the best I can be, and I'm willing to work hard to be the best I can."

Back
Top Bottom