2011 College Football "The Real been hacked!!!!" .

Originally Posted by DLo13

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

UGA by 700, #*@# it.

5amgoody, you in here? How tough is it to get a hotel in/near Blacksburg on a football weekend? I can't book anything more than 30 days out, would I end up stuck in like Martinsville?
sick.gif

I just graduated this year so I never had to deal with the hotel situation since I lived there. Which game is it for? Depending on the game I think if you're 30 days out you could probably get a hotel in Christiansburg, which is about a 10 min drive, or if not there in the Radford area which is like 25-30 mins away.  There are only a few legit hotels immediately within Blacksburg since it's so small.
I hadn't pinned down a game/weekend yet. I did a spot check of the Miami weekend and every hotel already shows "Sold Out" in my system.
laugh.gif

Might as well just stay in Roanoke rather than any of the #%$@ towns around there. I'm sure getting down 81 on a Saturday is hell, tho...

Yea 81 was a pain in the +#@ even for the spring game. Double the people for a real game and it's a joke. Roanoke is probably a good bet since it's close to being a real city
laugh.gif
Traffic will suck but if you tailgate early you could probably beat the worst of it.
You know people there or are you just trying to catch a game? I remember you posted awhile back about stopping through briefly and eating at Panera or something
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

UGA by 700, #*@# it.

5amgoody, you in here? How tough is it to get a hotel in/near Blacksburg on a football weekend? I can't book anything more than 30 days out, would I end up stuck in like Martinsville?
sick.gif

I just graduated this year so I never had to deal with the hotel situation since I lived there. Which game is it for? Depending on the game I think if you're 30 days out you could probably get a hotel in Christiansburg, which is about a 10 min drive, or if not there in the Radford area which is like 25-30 mins away.  There are only a few legit hotels immediately within Blacksburg since it's so small.
I hadn't pinned down a game/weekend yet. I did a spot check of the Miami weekend and every hotel already shows "Sold Out" in my system.
laugh.gif

Might as well just stay in Roanoke rather than any of the #%$@ towns around there. I'm sure getting down 81 on a Saturday is hell, tho...

Yea 81 was a pain in the +#@ even for the spring game. Double the people for a real game and it's a joke. Roanoke is probably a good bet since it's close to being a real city
laugh.gif
Traffic will suck but if you tailgate early you could probably beat the worst of it.
You know people there or are you just trying to catch a game? I remember you posted awhile back about stopping through briefly and eating at Panera or something
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Statis22

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Should be a good game. UGA wins a close one.    

UGA/Hawaii should have been a good game also...

this gonna be UGLY. 

That Hawaii team had the worst schedule in the country up to that game.
Finding flaws in the BCS system
pimp.gif

Too bad the whole team was shook from the jump.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Should be a good game. UGA wins a close one.    

UGA/Hawaii should have been a good game also...

this gonna be UGLY. 

That Hawaii team had the worst schedule in the country up to that game.
Finding flaws in the BCS system
pimp.gif

Too bad the whole team was shook from the jump.

Wasn't really any flaws in the system, they were the only undefeated and every other team had 2 losses.

I didn't have a problem with Hawaii being there even though I thought they would put up a better effort than they did. Didn't help Georgia was fire hot towards the end of tha year too.

Still couldn't believe the Rose Bowl took a 3 loss Illinois team over that Georgia squad. UGA/USC woulda been awesome.

Wasn't really any flaws in the system, they were the only undefeated and every other team had 2 losses.

I didn't have a problem with Hawaii being there even though I thought they would put up a better effort than they did. Didn't help Georgia was fire hot towards the end of tha year too.

Still couldn't believe the Rose Bowl took a 3 loss Illinois team over that Georgia squad. UGA/USC woulda been awesome.

Well it's a flaw in that an undefeated non-BCS team with a weak schedule can make it to a BCS game.

On top of that, when Michigan State got scared and pulled out of their game that year, UH ended up scheduling two 1-AA teams. It wasn't by choice - virtually every team they asked declined - but in hindsight, it was a brilliant move. Instead of playing USC, who turned down the offer, UH played Charleston Southern. Every pundit ridiculed them for their schedule, but I will gladly take a cupcake schedule and a BCS trip over having to tough out a game against a ranked team. For non-BCS schools, who have to go undefeated to make the cut, that's just the reality of the situation.

Well it's a flaw in that an undefeated non-BCS team with a weak schedule can make it to a BCS game.

On top of that, when Michigan State got scared and pulled out of their game that year, UH ended up scheduling two 1-AA teams. It wasn't by choice - virtually every team they asked declined - but in hindsight, it was a brilliant move. Instead of playing USC, who turned down the offer, UH played Charleston Southern. Every pundit ridiculed them for their schedule, but I will gladly take a cupcake schedule and a BCS trip over having to tough out a game against a ranked team. For non-BCS schools, who have to go undefeated to make the cut, that's just the reality of the situation.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Ehhhhh....

USC flew out to hawaii and played you guys two seasons earlier when no one wanted to, and beat the brakes off hawaii by 7 touchdowns and were already playing Nebraska and Notre Dame that year so it wasn't a matter of them being scared. 

None of those schools wanted to subject their kids to that travel midseason.

That Hawaii team kept whining about how no one would play them, but refused to leave the island to go face anyone else.  As I recall a few lower tier and non bcs teams were down to face you and you refused to play them.

Ehhhhh....

USC flew out to hawaii and played you guys two seasons earlier when no one wanted to, and beat the brakes off hawaii by 7 touchdowns and were already playing Nebraska and Notre Dame that year so it wasn't a matter of them being scared. 

That Hawaii team kept whining about how no one would play them, but refused to leave the island to go face anyone else.  As I recall a few lower tier and non bcs teams were down to face you and you refused to play them.

At that same token where would you find another year where every other team has 2 or more losses?

I mean all you can do it play the games and let the chips fall where they may right? I don't see flaws with that especially when you're winning.

At that same token where would you find another year where every other team has 2 or more losses?

I mean all you can do it play the games and let the chips fall where they may right? I don't see flaws with that especially when you're winning.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Ehhhhh....

You serious? The year before the team went all the way to Alabama. The year after the BCS season, we went to Florida. There isn't a team that travels longer distances year in and year out to play teams than Hawaii so that argument is invalid.

My argument isn't about USC, more so about the general mentality of the teams that UH faced in that era. With the Hawaii exception, teams could have played a 13th game at UH as their last game of the season - which schools used to do on the reg before UH started putting up numbers under June Jones. UH offered $750,000 and a nationally televised game and no teams accepted. Every team that UH contacted has their reasons so I won't get into that, but Michigan State was unequivocally scared and paid $250,000 not to come to Hawaii.

At this point it's all moot anyway. And yes, the way the college football season unfolded that year opened the door for an undefeated non-BCS team to make it. But when it comes to scheduling you still have to put yourself in a position to get there. And, by the circumstances of that year, when no teams wanted to come to Hawaii, UH was left with a weak schedule. You can make the argument that it's not a flaw in the BCS since UH didn't control it's own destiny, but few non-BCS teams ever do. So if a weak schedule opens the door somehow to the BCS, I'll take it.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Ehhhhh....

You serious? The year before the team went all the way to Alabama. The year after the BCS season, we went to Florida. There isn't a team that travels longer distances year in and year out to play teams than Hawaii so that argument is invalid.

My argument isn't about USC, more so about the general mentality of the teams that UH faced in that era. With the Hawaii exception, teams could have played a 13th game at UH as their last game of the season - which schools used to do on the reg before UH started putting up numbers under June Jones. UH offered $750,000 and a nationally televised game and no teams accepted. Every team that UH contacted has their reasons so I won't get into that, but Michigan State was unequivocally scared and paid $250,000 not to come to Hawaii.

At this point it's all moot anyway. And yes, the way the college football season unfolded that year opened the door for an undefeated non-BCS team to make it. But when it comes to scheduling you still have to put yourself in a position to get there. And, by the circumstances of that year, when no teams wanted to come to Hawaii, UH was left with a weak schedule. You can make the argument that it's not a flaw in the BCS since UH didn't control it's own destiny, but few non-BCS teams ever do. So if a weak schedule opens the door somehow to the BCS, I'll take it.

Oregon State beat Hawaii in the Jeremy Perry Bowl amidst swirling garbage and locals throwing beer bottles (Shocking teams aren't lined up). Teams will go for the recruiting but beating Hawaii doesn't do much for a major program compared to the ill effects of losing to Hawaii on National TV. Just the other side of that POV.

Back
Top Bottom