2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen A Smith and his long *** reads
eyes.gif

pretty good one  

http://espn.go.com/new-york/columns...leading-coaching-candidate-multiple-teams-why

No one should have a problem with Steve Kerr  being a leading candidate for "a" coaching job.

He's a five-time champion. He's been groomed by champions. He's a former executive and a respected basketball mind who is far from the first individual with no coaching experience whatsoever to be on the verge of landing a head-coaching gig.

But that would be "a" job. As in one job. Not two jobs. Or three. Or four, depending on what reports you believe. For any individual with Kerr's lack of experience to have that many opportunities laid at their doorstep, it begs the question: "What the hell has Steve Kerr done to deserve multiple  dabs at the cookie jar?"

Feel free to provide an answer to this question, folks.

Take your time. I'll wait.
I heard his stance on this on Dan LeBatard's show yesterday. He is more upset that there is a bidding war it seems over Kerr as opposed to other proven coaches. He pointed out specifically Black coaches, but I don't want to go down that road here. In a sense he's right. Just because you've had championship pedigree coaches and experience doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be a great coach. Kevin McHale has been getting killed this postseason and look where he came from as a player. SAS didn't say Kerr wasn't deserving, he was just surprised at the opportunity he's getting right out of the box. 

I heard his stance on this on Dan LeBatard's show yesterday. He is more upset that there is a bidding war it seems over Kerr as opposed to other proven coaches. He pointed out specifically Black coaches, but I don't want to go down that road here. In a sense he's right. Just because you've had championship pedigree coaches and experience doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be a great coach. Kevin McHale has been getting killed this postseason and look where he came from as a player. SAS didn't say Kerr wasn't deserving, he was just surprised at the opportunity he's getting right out of the box. 
smokin.gif

Maybe Kerr was held in high regard due to his time as GM of the Suns? I dunno, really...just trying to rationalize or make sense of why he's such a hot name.

When it comes to Steve Kerr, I really think what he did in Phoenix has a lot to do with it. He built a championship team over there that could have beaten us, and some say they would have if not for the suspensions and then they would have absolutely smacked the Pistons. His only folly was basically breaking the team apart trying to build up the defense, but I honestly think he would have fixed it if he stayed around.

Hes proven hes got a mind for basketball, and seems like a guy players would get along with.

the clips thread was closed bc they arent even in the finals. those lakers/heat thread were created when the teams were in the finals. clips got a long way.

:lol: at jamal getting the sixth man. he missed a bunch of gms, and started a lot when jj was down. how did taj finish in the voting?

Last edited:
Steve Kerr really opened my eyes when he was doing those NBATV "Open Court" shows. 

His insight and perspective made me feel like he had the capacity to hold any type position within an NBA organization

Now I don't know what type of leader of men he can be and how he can motivate others(compared to a Mark Jackson for example), but he does understand the game. 

When it comes to Steve Kerr, I really think what he did in Phoenix has a lot to do with it. He built a championship team over there that could have beaten us, and some say they would have if not for the suspensions and then they would have absolutely smacked the Pistons. His only folly was basically breaking the team apart trying to build up the defense, but I honestly think he would have fixed it if he stayed around.

Hes proven hes got a mind for basketball, and seems like a guy players would get along with.
Maybe Kerr was held in high regard due to his time as GM of the Suns? I dunno, really...just trying to rationalize or make sense of why he's such a hot name.
seems about right i guess 

Quoting this again for those that missed it last night due to it being published during the middle of the Wizards-Pacers game.

I read this yesterday....Lowe and Abrams are the best in the business. The latter, my goodness. His writing is on another level. I can't wait for his prep to pros book to drop.

One of the greatest coaches of all time has seemingly started and ended his coaching search with only one name in mind and that's Steve Kerr. So of course everyone else is going to become fascinated by this which then generates interest and multiple potential job offers.

I forgot to mention that SAS was bothered also because he has connections to Phil in NY and the GSW team president from his Suns days. He questioned that is it moving back to the days where you get hired based on who you know vs. your own merit. Now, Kerr did do a good job as Suns GM. Championship team...idk about that. That's going too far. But to give him credit, it was mentioned he wanted Tibbs on that staff and D'antoni didn't. Nonetheless, being a GM and a coach are two totally different roles altogether. 

I forgot to mention that SAS was bothered also because he has connections to Phil in NY and the GSW team president from his Suns days. He questioned that is it moving back to the days where you get hired based on who you know vs. your own merit. Now, Kerr did do a good job as Suns GM. Championship team...idk about that. That's going too far. But to give him credit, it was mentioned he wanted Tibbs on that staff and D'antoni didn't. Nonetheless, being a GM and a coach are two totally different roles altogether. 
agreed

Last edited:
Steve Kerr is being touted in the media as a puppet for Phil Jackson. No one will care where Kerr coaches unless it's the Knicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom