2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randomf fact.

Sonny Weems is making hte equivilant of a 6M USD dollar deal in europe. :wow: :pimp:

Always wondered why he wasn't playing the league, now I know he's never coming back.:lol:

Randomf fact.

Sonny Weems is making hte equivilant of a 6M USD dollar deal in europe.
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Always wondered why he wasn't playing the league, now I know he's never coming back.
laugh.gif
He is still getting paid to play basketball. That's all that matters. 

He is still getting paid to play basketball. That's all that matters. 

I know I agree, I really respect the guys who have long professional careers in europe, or become stars over there.

It separates the true professionals from the dudes who just play ball for the glamour and fame.

Grizz were trying to pick up Sonny Weems in the 2012-13 season, but I'm not sure if it was a buyout issue or what.

If Zbo goes anywhere, I'm expecting it to be somewhere in the East. Probably a team like Cleveland that would be willing to make the same mistake they did with Deng. Acquire a veteran to make a playoff push only for that player not to re-sign with them.

Last edited:
Sacramento Kings using two fans to help choose their draft pick, things like this is why franchises don't win and remain irrelevant....and get stuck trying to win with guards like Jimmer and Thomas.

Last edited:
isiah thomas is good though. hes just small haha. idk why the kings cant succeed. they have a pretty good roster. the only player they should dump is rudy gay. look what happened to the raps after he was traded. cousins also shouldve been an allstar. yeah, hes on a bad team, but his numbers are top 5 in the L for his position.

isiah thomas is good though. hes just small haha. idk why the kings cant succeed. they have a pretty good roster. the only player they should dump is rudy gay. look what happened to the raps after he was traded. cousins also shouldve been an allstar. yeah, hes on a bad team, but his numbers are top 5 in the L for his position.

All that's well and good but they are crowdsourcing help to make their latest draft pick :lol:

i dont think theyre really gonna pick based on what a fan says, but i dont see why they wouldnt consider it. honestly, i think its just for marketing to get fans involved i guess.

Pacers need to feed Hibbert.

Of all the explanations that have been proposed for Roy Hibbert's bounce-back performance in the Indiana Pacers' Game 2 win over the Washington Wizards after he went scoreless in Game 1 -- from a fishing trip with teammates George Hill and Paul George to Georgetown coach John Thompson III arriving in Indiana to support his former star to the Pacers parting ways with backup center Andrew Bynum -- teammate Lance Stephenson had the simplest rationale.

"It was mainly our fault, because we weren't giving him the ball," Stephenson told reporters after Game 2. "I told him tonight, 'Hey, when I get it, you're going to get it from me.' He delivered."

Obviously, Hibbert can't score without the ball. But beyond that, there's evidence that Hibbert is a different player when he's more involved in the Indiana offense.

More plays, better results

Over the course of the 2013-14 season, plus the playoffs, I broke down Hibbert's performance by whether his usage rate was greater than or less than his season average (19.4 percent). The results are striking.

More-involved Hibbert
Usage Rate 2P% TS% FTA/FGA Pts/36 Reb/36 Blk/36 PF/36
Above-Average .457 .517 .384 17.0 8.6 2.5 3.8
Below-Average .407 .462 .299 9.2 7.3 2.8 4.4
Naturally, the causation runs both ways. Of course Hibbert averages more points when he uses more plays, and the explanation for his improved shooting percentage could be traced to the Pacers feeding him the ball against better matchups. So the more interesting note is that Hibbert's non-scoring stats are better when his usage rate is higher. He grabs more rebounds per 36 minutes and fouls less frequently, though his blocks are down slightly.

That's consistent with what played out in Game 2. Because he was enjoying success in the post, Hibbert was more active defensively and on the glass. His Game 2 rebound rate was his best of the postseason thus far, and he contested a playoff-high nine shots within 5 feet of the basket, according to Ian Levy of FiveThirtyEight.com.

Hibbert's improved energy translated on the scoreboard. Indiana outscored Washington by 16 points in Hibbert's 33:29 of action, but the game was close because the Wizards were plus-12 in the 14:31 Hibbert spent on the bench. Wednesday was just the third time all postseason (Games 2 and 7 against the Atlanta Hawks were the others) that the Pacers outscored their opponents with Hibbert on the floor.

Question of identity

The extra shots that went to Hibbert came from Indiana's wing players. Stephenson's usage rate in Game 2 (18.3 percent) was his lowest of the postseason, while Paul George's (20.9 percent) was his second-lowest. That's why TNT analyst Chris Webber was critical in the first half of the Pacers going to Hibbert over and over again. He thought they were abandoning the creativity from the perimeter that has been the team's strength offensively in the postseason.

At the same time, Indiana's wing-oriented offense is a relatively new development. Pacers coach Frank Vogel originally preferred to build his attack around Hibbert and David West in the post. During last year's Eastern Conference finals against the Miami Heat, Hibbert used a team-high 25.5 percent of plays while on the floor, the product of a size advantage against Miami's big men.

While it's certainly possible for both Hibbert and Indiana's wings to thrive at the same time, that's difficult structurally. For example, on this play (below) in the fourth quarter of Game 1, Stephenson got defender Bradley Beal in the air and had a driving lane that would have taken him directly into Hibbert battling for position in the post.

View media item 962851
Instead of driving, Stephenson settled for a pull-up jumper and missed.

Because Hibbert isn't really a pick-and-roll player, he's rarely part of the two-man game with George and Stephenson. And since Hibbert isn't a particularly good passer from the post -- he generated shots for teammates on post-ups about 10 percent as often as he shot the ball himself this season, per Synergy Sports -- feeding the ball to Hibbert can mean a lot of standing around for teammates.

Vogel's choice

It's easy to continue going to Hibbert when he's getting results like those on Wednesday night, when the big man scored eight points on seven post-ups, according to Synergy. That becomes more difficult if he struggles to secure position in the post and forces hooks from farther out.

Teams often justify running an early post-up for a non-scoring center -- think Kendrick Perkins with the Oklahoma City Thunder -- under the logic that it gets the center into the game and serves to motivate him to contribute defensively and on the glass. But we're talking about more than a play or two with Hibbert; the Pacers reoriented their entire offense around him.

From Vogel's perspective, however, the decision may not have been difficult. To get back to the conference finals and emerge victorious this time around, Indiana must have Hibbert playing as effectively as he played in last year's postseason and the first half of this season, when he earned All-Star honors. If, as in Game 2, throwing the ball to Hibbert down low is the way to coax that performance out of the big man, then keep the post-ups coming.

I said days ago the Blazers might get swept :lol:

Their offense doesn't create any mismatches for San Antonio when you think about it

the only reason why i want the spurs in the finals is because i think theyre the only team that can actually beat the heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom