2021 NFL Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL Draft is officially 2 weeks away.

I don’t think the 49ers, two weeks out, could be convinced by anyone’s Pro Day or recent hype to change from the guy they want — who they reportedly traded up for as the guy to lead their franchise until at least 2035 or so — to Fields. How *could* they be that undecided two weeks out after you trade up, and willing to change away from that guy who was the basis of trading up?

They’re gonna make the mistake that’s been in the works since the trade was made, and pick Mac, even though many (and I, too) think Fields is much better.

all pro days should be doing is somewhat confirming what you should already know

if a guy wins with contested catches then runs a 4.2, you gotta go figure out why all that speed aint there on tape

i get why senior bowl practices have such a huge impact cause you get to see guys going up against each other.. and outside of systems/comfort zones

also a huge thing is medicals with combine and visits

but unless a QB has a terrible pro day, i wouldnt put a ton of stock into it.. but if the supposed accurate guy is sailing passes on scripted throws, then you gotta ask some questions

but with everything you should be going back to the game film

I don’t think the 49ers, two weeks out, could be convinced by anyone’s Pro Day or recent hype to change from the guy they want — who they reportedly traded up for as the guy to lead their franchise until at least 2035 or so — to Fields. How *could* they be that undecided two weeks out after you trade up, and willing to change away from that guy who was the basis of trading up?

They’re gonna make the mistake that’s been in the works since the trade was made, and pick Mac, even though many (and I, too) think Fields is much better.

Are you that impressionable!? The Mac rumors are all ********. You think a team with two other teams ahead of them are gonna show their damn hand a month before the draft, after trading 3 first round picks!? Wow.

Yeah I don't disagree that they definitely had a guy in mind when it comes to the pick when they made the trade, maybe even two or three depending on who the Jets take, but the idea that everyone in the world was so confident that Mac was that guy 24 hours after the trade is where I get lost. 49ers have now had a top 3 pick 3 times since lynch got there and I can honestly say I haven't known for certainty who the pick was going to be each time. Solomon Thomas was the closest, but Bosa they made it seem like a toss up between him and Quinnen Williams until the draft, and im sure they will do the same here.

They get absolutely zero benefit by letting other teams know what they are going to do at three so I don't know why everyone assumes this is a foregone conclusion that Mac or Fields or Lance is their guy and im sure they will keep it close to the vest until draft day. Everyone is assuming its going to be mac based on the fact that he fits that statue QB mold so therefore he fits the "system" despite running a college offense where he took less snaps under center than the other two available QBs and generally running a RPO heavy system that the 49ers dont run. The system narrative never really made sense either other than the fact that Mac is white and slower than the other guys.

I don't remember the last time ive seen everyone so sure who the third pick in the draft is going to be a month before the actual draft.

Last edited:
I’m laughing at anyone who ever thought that Mac Jones **** was real :rofl:

I’m not even listening to the media now. I think the difference between Fields and Lawrence is minimal in terms of passing and Lawrence bout to go #1.

What I’m worried about is NY’s pick. I’m not so convinced that they’re gonna go with Wilson. I wouldn’t be surprised if they picked Fields.

Are you that impressionable!? The Mac rumors are all bull****. You think a team with two other teams ahead of them are gonna show their damn hand a month before the draft, after trading 3 first round picks!? Wow.

i mean we know who 1 and 2 are going be.. only reason 9ers are making that move is because they know who they're getting

it's like when the eagles moved up to 2.. the owner and all of the coaches were flying out to see wentz and meeting with wentz.. the local reporters who know, were all basically alluding to it being wentz

only reason this stuff is secretive is for the television product.. it's like with the NBA or even nfl guys with the actual draft and they start throwing around all the suggestive adjectives instead of straight out saying who the pick is

I’m laughing at anyone who ever thought that Mac Jones **** was real :rofl:

I’m not even listening to the media now. I think the difference between Fields and Lawrence is minimal in terms of passing and Lawrence bout to go #1.

What I’m worried about is NY’s pick. I’m not so convinced that they’re gonna go with Wilson. I wouldn’t be surprised if they picked Fields.

i can rationalize any of the top 4 guys.. until i see mccorkle go in the top 10, i'll never get it

i mean i didnt think dude would even be in the 1st.. but we aint here if not for chris simms and i dont get that either

i mean we know who 1 and 2 are going be.. only reason 9ers are making that move is because they know who they're getting

it's like when the eagles moved up to 2.. the owner and all of the coaches were flying out to see wentz and meeting with wentz.. the local reporters who know, were all basically alluding to it being wentz

only reason this stuff is secretive is for the television product.. it's like with the NBA or even nfl guys with the actual draft and they start throwing around all the suggestive adjectives instead of straight out saying who the pick is

My main point is - no way in hell is a team going to make that trade a month out, and give away exactly who they’re targeting. All the rumors and speculation are ********. They definitely made the trade with a plan. That plan could absolutely include being enamored with two prospects and having the time needed to figure out which one they prefer. I still feel they made that trade with Justin Fields in mind. Could they also have made it with Lance or Jones as the other guy in their discussions? Yes. But, I don’t think either of those guys are the guy they are most likely to select.

My main point is - no way in hell is a team going to make that trade a month out, and give away exactly who they’re targeting. All the rumors and speculation are bull****. They definitely made the trade with a plan. That plan could absolutely include being enamored by two prospects and having the time needed to figure out which one they prefer. I still feel they made that trade with Justin Fields in mind. Could they also have made it with Lance or Jones as the other guy in their discussions? Yes. But, I don’t think either of those guys are the guy they are most likely to select.

i think they know who they're getting.. not like they dont have ALOT of connections inside the jete building and dont take a genius to know whoever had 1, what they were going do

at 3 and we being on the outside.. i could rationalize niners taking any of fields, lance or wilson (if wilson doesnt go 2)

lance might be the most talented and is only 20, keep jimmy and see if anyone becomes desperate for a starter or keep him til you think lance is ready.. i could get that at 3, especially with what the '22 class is looking like

but i feel like 9ers could trade for cousins, if they were so inclined and wanted to move on from jimmy instead of taking mac jones ESPECIALLY with that trade

i think they know who they're getting.. not like they dont have ALOT of connections inside the jete building and dont take a genius to know whoever had 1, what they were going do

at 3 and we being on the outside.. i could rationalize niners taking any of fields, lance or wilson (if wilson doesnt go 2)

lance might be the most talented and is only 20, keep jimmy and see if anyone becomes desperate for a starter or keep him til you think lance is ready.. i could get that at 3, especially with what the '22 class is looking like

but i feel like 9ers could trade for cousins, if they were so inclined and wanted to move on from jimmy instead of taking mac jones ESPECIALLY with that trade

Its Justin Fields.

Are you that impressionable!? The Mac rumors are all bull****. You think a team with two other teams ahead of them are gonna show their damn hand a month before the draft, after trading 3 first round picks!? Wow.

If Jax is for sure going Lawrence (they are), and Jets are for sure going Wilson (they are), and San Francisco traded into the 3 spot, what are they hiding—by letting all those reporters know initially once they traded up, that they did it for Mac Jones? What’s the secret?

Unless you actually think everyone’s lying paranoid boi and Fields could go No. 2.

If Jax is for sure going Lawrence (they are), and Jets are for sure going Wilson (they are), and San Francisco traded into the 3 spot, what are they hiding—by letting all those reporters know initially once they traded up, that they did it for Mac Jones? What’s the secret?

Unless you actually think everyone’s lying paranoid boi and Fields could go No. 2.
Wait, you’re a Rams fan right?

It all makes sense now :rofl:

Honestly though, what purposes is served by letting everyone know?

"Hey guys we are taking Lance/ Mac/Fields at 3. Please do everything in your power over the next two weeks to trade up in front of us and select him if you want him too"

I for one am shocked that a guy who works for a website that looks like this doesn't have an inside scoop. Shocked I tell you

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Wait, you’re a Rams fan right?

It all makes sense now :rofl:

Vikings.

RAMS?!

Honestly though, what purposes is served by letting everyone know?

"Hey guys we are taking Lance/ Mac/Fields at 3. Please do everything in your power over the next two weeks to trade up in front of us and select him if you want him too"

People settle on guys and it circulates, we’ve seen this happen in the NBA and NFL if we go back (I’m sure you’re gonna ask for specific examples :lol:).

If the Niners didn’t know who those two ahead of them were taking, they wouldn’t have traded into the No. 3 spot until the No. 3 spot was actually ON the clock.

Vikings.

RAMS?!

People settle on guys and it circulates, we’ve seen this happen in the NBA and NFL if we go back (I’m sure you’re gonna ask for specific examples :lol:).

If the Niners didn’t know who those two ahead of them were taking, they wouldn’t have traded into the No. 3 spot until the No. 3 spot was actually ON the clock.
My bad lol. Although I don’t agree with you I can respect your opinion now.

We will all see on draft day.

Last edited:
Vikings.

RAMS?!

Agreed except there is the possibility that there was more than 2 guys they really liked and it really didn't make much of a difference which guy they got. I generally agree with you that they think they know who is going two and I'd say thats a really good be considering half the staff came from the 49ers. I just don't see the potential upside in shouting from the rooftops who they are taking and risking a team jumping them.

It was the same reason the Bears traded up from 3 to 2 even though they "knew" who the 49ers were going to take to get Trubisky. You never know if a team is going to get blown away with an offer for their pick and trade it away. The bears ate **** for doing it and it was a horrible pick but it pretty much guaranteed they would get their guy and no one would jump them.

Agreed except there is the possibility that there was more than 2 guys they really liked and it really didn't make much of a difference which guy they got. I generally agree with you that they think they know who is going two and I'd say thats a really good be considering half the staff came from the 49ers. I just don't see the potential upside in shouting from the rooftops who they are taking and risking a team jumping them.

Yeah I get what you’re saying, but the upside is PR — trying to get reporters to rally fans around a pick before it actually happens. If you get used to the idea that it’s gonna be Mac, then you won’t be as mad when it happens.

As for teams trading into No. 1 and No. 2 (if that’s possible, why would the Niners be loud about Mac?), I think them talking about Mac, if it’s genuine, means the whole league knows No. 1 and No. 2 aren’t for sale no matter what. So there’s no fear, and in that sense no downside to getting PR to jazz people up to the Mac at No. 3 pick.

To reiterate I wholeheartedly think the Niners would be making a mistake by passing on Fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom