4-day workweek gains global momentum

My friend's mom does those seven on/seven off while working in a SOC for the government. That sounds sweet, I think? I realize if something is detected, everyone jumps into action mode, but she makes it seem like she just chills most of the time.

If that's the case then she got it made. If no, working 7 days straight is hell. I worked 15 days straight before and it was rough

When I last had a desk job I legit did about 2-3 hours of work/day. From 8 AM thru lunch (11 AM) I essentially checked emails, ate breakfast and walked around. I’d do a little light work, but nothing crazy since lunch was right around the corner. Then I’d take a nap in my car on my hour long lunch. Then I’d come back to my desk and eat my lunch. Most of my work came between 1-4. Then I’d just **** around for the last hour. :pimp:

And on Fridays? Sheeeeeeeeiitt.

This sounds like my state job. I'd bring in chips and guac and we'd sit around for a couple of hours talking about The Wire and Game of Thrones. We'd split for about an hour. During that hour I would just browse the net. Then we'd reconvene and talk about other stuff. Then split for lunch. Come back and maybe do a little work and then dip early :lol:

I used to work for the gov :pimp: walk around, a little work, eat, smash, eat again, eat more, go home when I felt like it.

My friend's mom does those seven on/seven off while working in a SOC for the government. That sounds sweet, I think? I realize if something is detected, everyone jumps into action mode, but she makes it seem like she just chills most of the time.

ive worked something similar and from my experience it isnt 7 days off after 7 days of work (every week)...the 7 days off comes about every month and a half to 2 months. It's 12 hours on and 12 hours off. And it's usually the days you work equals the days you're off...i.e. 3 days of 12 hour shifts on - 3 days off. 4 days on - 4 days off...until it builds up to 7. It sounds sweet but it's rough. lol

How would this work for retail? and single moms who work retail and who maybe can't find or afford a sitter or provide a facility for "online learning?"

What about homeless or impoverished kids who go to school for nutrition?
Good questions, most of the answers would be the govt would have to chip in.... but because our govt doesn’t believe in really helping out with basic things like childcare etc .I don’t really know

And as for retail workers, they could rotate 4 10’s to get their hours in ...most stores have a roster of employees to cover all days/hours

Yea ppl don’t give no damns about hours when working for the govt and higher education...Ppl be coming and going as they please , then schedule a whole bunch of meetings every once in a while to make it seem like they really doing something :lol: :smh:

Yea ppl don’t give no damns about hours when working for the govt and higher education...Ppl be coming and going as they please , then schedule a whole bunch of meetings every once in a while to make it seem like they really doing something :lol: :smh:

I had a teacher in college miss days like crazy. She had a reputation of using her son as an excuse. It took years for them to notice the amount of days she missed

I had a teacher in college miss days like crazy. She had a reputation of using her son as an excuse. It took years for them to notice the amount of days she missed

If she's a single mom, that's no surprise...I am no single mom but I am still missing or late for work almost every other week behind my kid lol. Sick, Dr. appts, school closings you name it. Nothing's worse when your kid is sick and you have to be out with them to get them better...then you or your spouse turns around and gets sick. lol

I'm all for this. I already get to do this; my boss allows us to work from home one day a week (usually Wednesday/Thursday), and usually I end up doing maybe 1-2 hours of actual work. It actually ends up making my other 4 days more productive though; not because I'm behind on projects, but because I feel re-energized and am able to knock out everything that gets assigned to me pretty quickly.

At my last job, I had the type of boss that wanted me in the office from 9AM-8PM every day. So many wasted hours either pretending to be busy or doing menial mind numbing tasks that could've been assigned to an intern.

Being in the office for hours and hours tires you out mentally and causes you to make more mistakes

This is my biggest problem. I have a good job that pays well. But the amount of work I do never takes a full 8hours. So either Im spacing out my tasks just to drag the day, or doing nothing then knocking out my work in the last 2.5 hours of my shift.

I’d be all for 4 days and 10 hour shifts.

Just having 3 days of free time to whatever I please would go a long way. Plus for me personally, at all my jobs, even the ones which were easy, I’d always get burnt out from being there so many days straight after day 4.

Not to the point where I’d want to cry after working 1 day at stockx but still a bit burnt out nonetheless.

This sounds like my state job. I'd bring in chips and guac and we'd sit around for a couple of hours talking about The Wire and Game of Thrones. We'd split for about an hour. During that hour I would just browse the net. Then we'd reconvene and talk about other stuff. Then split for lunch. Come back and maybe do a little work and then dip early :lol:

Yep, it was a state job. :lol::lol::lol:

Now I have a federal job and while I get my work done and done well, I REEEEAAALLY have a lot of down time. Naps, internet browsing and TV watching make up the bulk of my work day. Makes it really tough to leave despite not loving the job.

Yep, it was a state job. :lol::lol::lol:

Now I have a federal job and while I get my work done and done well, I REEEEAAALLY have a lot of down time. Naps, internet browsing and TV watching make up the bulk of my work day. Makes it really tough to leave despite not loving the job.
God damn I’m in the wrong profession. :lol:

I’m lucky if I have a chance to go to the bathroom some days.

I have the exact opposite problem of alot of you guys. I feel like there aren't enough hours in the day. I couldn't imagine working fewer hrs/fewers days of the week and still staying on top of my workload. I have to manage 15 service members and DoD civilians and also complete all my taskings.

Last edited:
I used to work for the gov :pimp: walk around, a little work, eat, smash, eat again, eat more, go home when I felt like it.

Same.. Still work for the gov.. same schedule tbh. Be smashing on my lunch breaks, I live 3 blocks from my office.

I legit work 8:30-5, I want to say 2 hours of that time is work, the rest is bull****

I work about 60 hours a week just to get everything done that needs to be done. Working 1 less day would make me have to get 60 hours of work done in 4 days. No way I could do 4, 14-hour Work days in a row.

Doesn’t work for salary employees.

Speak for yourself playa. I know plenty of salary employees that will benefit from this. 40 in 4 days > 40 in 5 days > 60 in 5 days. Work smarter, not harder. Tell your company to staff better if you are salary working 60+ hours, you better either for 50% raise to account working 50%+ more than the usual 40 hour work week or ask for adjusted salary that takes account of the 20+ hours you put in a week.

Actually miss being able to work 4×16s and comping out an extra day to make my work week 4 on and 3 off. Then the city changed our comp time rules...

Actually miss being able to work 4×16s and comping out an extra day to make my work week 4 on and 3 off. Then the city changed our comp time rules...

Damn y'all some hard workers :lol: They couldn't pay me enough to work 4 16 hour shifts throughout the week

At first I was like hell nah, but I could see doing that in a SOC. Imagine taking weekly vacations without using your time, then saving that all up for one long one.

Would never happen at my job unless the whole industry did it. More likely to happen is Friday becomes time and a half.

I've answered one email and been watching literal cat fight videos ever since.

It's at times like these I wonder why they just don't let me go home.

Funny to think about how we work so hard in college just to be in jobs where we're productive 15% of the time most times.

4-16s? Dawg wtf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom