Air Jordan II “Chicago” December 30th 2022

Y’all have to remember, a lot of the folks in the room at WHQ either never saw MJ play live and/or don’t care about this like we do. To a lot of them it’s just a career/job.
Then they need to get the hell out. Doesn’t anyone have any pride anymore or strive for excellence in what they do. Jordan Brand should be the Bentley of basketball shoes. A combination of pushing the tech and performance for the future but still exuding luxury. They should be a sight to behold. Definitely not this cheap trash of a shoe, the 37. I wouldn‘t want it for free, and I’m not kidding.

The "card" that came with the shoes originally.
Oh lol I thought you were talking about one of these.
F119E480-0089-4F13-8E69-8492CEC4640E.jpeg

Personally I think the one design aspect that worked against the 2s is the lack of any distinctive feature on the lateral side.

No swoosh.

No wings logo.

No visible air unit.

No elephant print.

Too much dead space imo.

Still a cool shoe.

…just bottom tier early model in my opinion.

Some of the early pairs that are gifted are promo pairs with promo tags so take those comparison shots with a grain of salt. We may or may not receive the same version or there may be tweaks to retail pairs such as shape, leather, colors, etc.

When I received my Airship pair from Jordan Brand, they had promo tags and actually had better leather quality than the retail versions.

Some of the early pairs that are gifted are promo pairs with promo tags so take those comparison shots with a grain of salt. We may or may not receive the same version or there may be tweaks to retail pairs such as shape, leather, colors, etc.

When I received my Airship pair from Jordan Brand, they had promo tags and actually had better leather quality than the retail versions.
I think we all understand that a promo pair is going to be nicer as far as leather, shape, etc. But that is one of the biggest grips about buying retros now. There “shouldn‘t” be huge differences. If they did it once, they can do it again. We all know JB can make a shoe close to the og. If these retros coming out have those box cars for toe boxes, I’m out! Probably with anything the brand does going forward. The silhouette of the 2 is part of the design. And part of the design is that sleek toe box. They all should look exactly like scollards par. All of them. No question.

I’m calling that pair above fake until we see a retail release…

I think we all understand that a promo pair is going to be nicer as far as leather, shape, etc. But that is one of the biggest grips about buying retros now. There “shouldn‘t” be huge differences. If they did it once, they can do it again. We all know JB can make a shoe close to the og. If these retros coming out have those box cars for toe boxes, I’m out! Probably with anything the brand does going forward. The silhouette of the 2 is part of the design. And part of the design is that sleek toe box. They all should look exactly like scollards par. All of them. No question.

I’m calling that pair above fake until we see a retail release…
I agree there shouldn't be huge differences, but there are and they produce the promo pairs in limited quantities to see where they can adjust. The brand wants to save themselves money to increase their profit margins.

Retail is what, between $170-$210 across multiple retros?I'd hate to see regular retail prices start becoming $250-$300+ because that's where it'll end up being in some years. It'll get to that price without adjusting for quality because that's the nature of the business.

I agree there shouldn't be huge differences, but there are and they produce the promo pairs in limited quantities to see where they can adjust. The brand wants to save themselves money to increase their profit margins.

Retail is what, between $170-$210 across multiple retros?I'd hate to see regular retail prices start becoming $250-$300+ because that's where it'll end up being in some years. It'll get to that price without adjusting for quality because that's the nature of the business.
Your right. This is EXACTLY why people will buy made in china 1’s at $600. See this is my issue: holding back on quality to make money. Total garbage. The reason, whatever it is, is no excuse. And not only will people pay $600 for a made in china AJ1, when they start making molds of other shoes, they’ll sell those as people will buy those as well.

I think JB needs a complete rebrand. New CEO, new direction, new marketing, new everything. Cut the fat out and go complete luxury. Because after all, the jump man is supposed to be synonymous with luxury and we’ve been getting everything but…

I mean, look at the brand. They‘ve done many collabs, but have they ever had a gust designer for a few seasons? Look at Nike ACG. Errolson Hugh designed for a couple of seasons. How awesome would it be to have a guest designer designing everything at JB for a couple of seasons? That would be amazing! But nah, we get ”Jordan Engineered” which is complete garbage. The fact that JB is such a cash cow blinds the company to the total potential of the brand and its IP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom