Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

Military 4s gotta be one of the most disrespected OGs in the Jordan line.
I thought about this yesterday. Not specifically towards the shoe you mention, but to several other originals that have not gotten the "total" retro treatment. Why would the Military Blue 4 be overlooked? Is it because its a non all star, non Bulls color? What was the demand then in 1989? Was the demand high for the last retro of these?
Shoes like Seattle and Chicago 10s come to mind in this regard. Everyone seemed to need these soo bad. But once they came, it was on to the next. No real buzz after.
Not speaking to you specifically here, but do some OG colorways of certain models only gain desire because they have never been re released before?
Neutral Grey 1s come to mind. In todays world the colors people want are off the charts loud. That shoe is a total opposite of the trends we all see now a days. But yet its considered a grail status Jordan. What makes so many want it now more than ever? For the true to original type guys I completely get it. But to anyone other than, what makes you want the shoe?

I thought about this yesterday. Not specifically towards the shoe you mention, but to several other originals that have not gotten the "total" retro treatment. Why would the Military Blue 4 be overlooked? Is it because its a non all star, non Bulls color? What was the demand then in 1989? Was the demand high for the last retro of these?
Shoes like Seattle and Chicago 10s come to mind in this regard. Everyone seemed to need these soo bad. But once they came, it was on to the next. No real buzz after.
Not speaking to you specifically here, but do some OG colorways of certain models only gain desire because they have never been re released before?
Neutral Grey 1s come to mind. In todays world the colors people want are off the charts loud. That shoe is a total opposite of the trends we all see now a days. But yet its considered a grail status Jordan. What makes so many want it now more than ever? For the true to original type guys I completely get it. But to anyone other than, what makes you want the shoe?
It’s a good point. Maroon 6s also come to mind. I feel like people wanted them for years and years and they finally got a retro (a good one at that) in 2015 but nobody really cared.

It’s a good point. Maroon 6s also come to mind. I feel like people wanted them for years and years and they finally got a retro (a good one at that) in 2015 but nobody really cared.
I feel like I was on the other side of that. They couldnt get to my house quick enough. I dont remember how long they were around though. It seems as, if they dont sell out in that day, they are considered meh.

I feel like I was on the other side of that. They couldnt get to my house quick enough. I dont remember how long they were around though. It seems as, if they dont sell out in that day, they are considered meh.
Yea same. I was super excited for them and they also marked the return of NA for the first time since 2001 other than the 88 3s.
Definitely didn’t sell out instantly as I remember my brother was able to get me a pair off swoosh.

It’s easy for me. I loved Mike, Pip too, just wasn’t a Bulls fan. It also allowed me to rock stuff from my teams while still loving the line.

Maroon 6s were a great point. Came out in 2015 in OG(ish) form and didn’t have the impact they thought it would. And that’s cool with me. ‘06 and ‘12 Military 4s both looked like *** to me. So if the rumor is true and they do release, myself and folks like me will pick up because it’s back in its OG(ish) form. The younger generation doesn’t care about the OG because they weren’t there. They care about how early can I get em, how fast I can get em to flip em & obviously how much profit can be made. Nike and JB understand the secondary market, so they give 2 ****s. Especially now, when everything sells out. The initial demand will be there. The resell market...........a lot of folks will take losses or break even (I hope).

Not a standard Bulls color way, but still an OG. I feel just as dumbfounded as to why the Fire Red 3s haven’t been done correctly. Got kinda close with the Katrina/HOF 3s, but to me those were nothing more than the Derek Anderson PEs.

I’ve got tons of non og 4s, 5s, 6s, 11 IEs and 14s, primarily because I love the silhouette. But any of those in OG colorways and the 2s in the same fashion, I’ll take any day of the week (as long as they don’t look like they came out of the middle of the mall).

Anytime a cat uses the term "Loathe", bruh is really pissed lol

Funny you posted this and a pair that was suggested to me on eBay in my size was sold for that price.

:rofl: “loathe”

S***, man. You would be too, if your ALL-TIME favorite model started as this MAGNIFICENT MASTERPIECE...

C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(12).jpg
View attachment 2738974

Got tampered, and BUTCHERED SOOO BAD, that the ankle collars were cut completely half. Turning the model into a totally different sneaker. No longer were they perfect 3/4, mid cut sneaker. They were NOW low end department store toy, low top knock offs.

121664842_1021261025012342_3569262979983210488_n.jpg

They were SO low in the mid 2000's, that mudguards were touching the ***damn midsoles. Hell, they WEREN'T even the same damn model anymore!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

After damn near two decades, the trolling bastards at Nike/JB FINALLY increased the height the ankle collars. However, the shape, build, tabs, and ankle collar height were STILL off TREMENDOUSLY.

20190507_153109.jpg

The ankle collars were actually WORSE now, because instead of fixing them, they just made them slightly, and I do mean "SLIGHTLY" higher. They didn't really even fix them. They just stretched them out longer, to make the sneaker look cut higher, but they REALLY WEREN'T.

And right after the 2019, Black Cement 4 release. Nike/JB, tried to pull a fast one by going right back to the same BS, 2012-2018 atrocious, balant low top mold of 4's.

522421_01.jpg.jpg

529535_01.jpg.jpg

All that was, and has been fixed was the netting, and the bottom wings.... Until, the 2020 Fire Red 4 release.

612313_01.jpg.jpg

All that was fixed on this complete utter BS of a release, were the tongues, AND FINALLY!!! AND THAT WAS IT!!! DON'T try to tell me that they fixed the Nike Air logos, because they should've been perfected in the first place. They just said **** it, with the Black Cement 4's because they knew they'd sell out regardless.

I've really lost all hope for this model. The ridiculous inconsistencies on ALL of the Nike Air models, 3-6 since 2016 is straight up despicable. If they don't FINALLY fix this model with the Military 4 release. I'm done with it completely.

|l|l|l|l|l|l|l|l|l|l|l|l|l

It took them twenty years for the Air Jordan 11, I REALLY think those Jackasses are going for 50, with the model.

Last edited:

S***, man. You would be too, if your ALL-TIME favorite model started as this MAGNIFICENT MASTERPIECE...

C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(12).jpg
View attachment 2738974

Got tampered, and BUTCHERED SOOO BAD, that the ankle collars were cut completely half. Turning the model into a totally different sneaker. No longer were they perfect 3/4, mid cut sneaker. They were NOW low end department store toy, low top knock offs.

They were SO low in the mid 2000's, that mudguards were touching the ***damn midsoles. Hell, they WEREN'T even the same damn model anymore!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

After damn near two decades, the trolling bastards at Nike/JB FINALLY increased the height the ankle collars. However, the shape, build, tabs, and ankle collar height is STILL off TREMENDOUSLY.

20190507_153109.jpg

The ankle collars were actually WORSE now, because instead of fixing them, they just made them slightly, and I do mean "SLIGHTLY" higher. They didn't really even fix them. They just stretched them out longer, to make the sneaker look cut higher, but they REALLY WEREN'T.

And right after the 2019, Black Cement 4 release. Nike/JB, tried to pull a fast one by going right back to the same BS, 2012-2018 atrocious, balant low top mold of 4's.

522421_01.jpg.jpg

529535_01.jpg.jpg

All that was, and has been fixed was the netting, and the bottom wings.... Until, the 2020 Fire Red 4 release.

612313_01.jpg.jpg

All that was fixed on this complete utter BS of a release, were the tongues , AND FINALLY!!! AND THAT IS IT!!! DON'T try to tell me that they fixed the Nike Air logos, because they should've been perfected in the first place. They just said **** it, with the Black Cement 4's because they knew they'd sell out regardless.

I've really lost all hope for this model. The ridiculous inconsistencies on ALL of the Nike Air models, 3-6 since 2016 is straight up despicable. If they don't FINALLY fix this model with the Military 4 release. I'm done with it completely.

I took them two years for the Air Jordan 11, I guess those Jackasses are going for 50 with the model.
Your composition skills are elite to say the least.

View attachment 2738974

After damn near two decades, the trolling bastards at Nike/JB FINALLY increased the height the ankle collars. However, the shape, build, tabs, and ankle collar height is STILL off TREMENDOUSLY.

20190507_153109.jpg

522421_01.jpg.jpg

529535_01.jpg.jpg

612313_01.jpg.jpg

All that was fixed on this complete utter BS of a release, were the tongues , AND FINALLY!!! AND THAT IS IT!!! DON'T try to tell me that they fixed the Nike Air logos, because they should've been perfected in the first place. They just said **** it, with the Black Cement 4's because they knew they'd sell out regardless.

I took them two years for the Air Jordan 11, I guess those Jackasses are going for 50 with the model.

One of the most comfortable Air Jordan's I've ever worn are the '95 AJ2 Wht/Blk-Red High re-release.
I had 2 pairs of those.

M marztharealist

How much faith do you think I have that Nike will retro those out properly in the near future?
The leather on those was like that extra thick apple wood bacon.
And the cushioning was like walking on pillows.
And they didn't feel heavy.

They do look like Moonboots but that comfort tho!
I told myself I'm done with the AJ2...but if they ever retro'd the highs properly...
my feet might make me cop...but what are the chances???

Kinda think they're gonna put that model/colorway out again soon,
with what might appear as decent quality like the recent FR AJ5...but that
still wouldn't be enough for me.

It’s easy for me. I loved Mike, Pip too, just wasn’t a Bulls fan. It also allowed me to rock stuff from my teams while still loving the line.

Maroon 6s were a great point. Came out in 2015 in OG(ish) form and didn’t have the impact they thought it would. And that’s cool with me. ‘06 and ‘12 Military 4s both looked like *** to me. So if the rumor is true and they do release, myself and folks like me will pick up because it’s back in its OG(ish) form. The younger generation doesn’t care about the OG because they weren’t there. They care about how early can I get em, how fast I can get em to flip em & obviously how much profit can be made. Nike and JB understand the secondary market, so they give 2 ****s. Especially now, when everything sells out. The initial demand will be there. The resell market...........a lot of folks will take losses or break even (I hope).

Not a standard Bulls color way, but still an OG. I feel just as dumbfounded as to why the Fire Red 3s haven’t been done correctly. Got kinda close with the Katrina/HOF 3s, but to me those were nothing more than the Derek Anderson PEs.

I’ve got tons of non og 4s, 5s, 6s, 11 IEs and 14s, primarily because I love the silhouette. But any of those in OG colorways and the 2s in the same fashion, I’ll take any day of the week (as long as they don’t look like they came out of the middle of the mall).
Awesome reply. Thank you.

One of the most comfortable Air Jordan's I've ever worn are the '95 AJ2 Wht/Blk-Red High re-release.
I had 2 pairs of those.

M marztharealist

How much faith do you think I have that Nike will retro those out properly in the near future?

I told myself I'm done with the AJ2...but if they ever retro'd the highs properly...

Yo!!! ‘95 IIs and NY Undercover.........couldn’t tell me **** lol

M marztharealist I'm with you brother. I felt it. Literally! The way they constructed the '19 renditions killed my feel. To the point where my feet went numb. I couldn't take it. Broke my heart to have to get red of the fire red IV's. They have the capabilities to get the retros close to the OG's, but they simply don't have the icnentive to do that because they know it'll sell regardless.

Interesting. In highschool when I had the WC4s, and I'd see someone wearing the 3s, and all that came to mind was how pathetic they looked....so basic and boring compared to the 4s. And the back tab on the 3s looks so unfinished and wimpy compared the 4s. Also, although it was probably just an illusion, the window to the air looked so much narrower on the 3s. The 4s appeared to have more air (i.e. cooler) even if that wasn't the case. You could tell the 4 was an evolution of the 3 in many ways. When the 4 came out, no one was pining for the 3s; that was so "last year's Jordan"....heh.

I've come to appreciate the 3s though, and agree that the OG shape was so much sleeker.
Well, yeah, back then as soon as the new model came out, it wasn't cool to have the previous one anymore. It came up again in another thread the other day ... basically no one "got" the whole retro thing until many years later, me included. That said, the WC III was a shoe I coveted long before the retro movement came along. I always loved how casually smooth it looked, and the bluish gray on the toe and heel.
But you are right that in the moment, they looked plain and outdated overall compared to the IVs. Kinda to the point, when the Vs dropped, suddenly my IVs looked outdated, too. I remember getting the 3M tongue Fire Red Vs. I came home and called my friend who lived three houses down to come outside. When I took the Vs out of the box, and especially when I flipped them over to reveal the clear sole with a red jumpman behind it, he literally took a step back, threw his arms in the air and smacked one of his hands on top of his head, and went, "Whoooooaaaaaaa!" :lol:
To the 8th grade me and 6th grade him, those shoes were from another planet LOL

Just leaving THIS here, as ANOTHER reminder...

|l

12142453_442851392585679_645333715_n.jpg

:pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp:

:nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat:

:smokin
So ridiculous, that OG shape. But we're so obsessed about the shape, sometimes this gets lost: that OG black nubuck or durabuck (I always mix up which was on which shoe) is nearly as important. You can see it in this photo, how it had an almost oily touch/finish to it. The OG metallic Vs and VIs were the same. The stuff they have now looks and feels a lot drier.

very true in regards to the older Jordan being passe' when the new one kicks in.

Fall 1997, the XIII is the rage.. the 12's still had a spark, and the Jumpman Pro This dude comes to the gym in some semi fresh Concord 11's to hoop in, and cats was clownin' him for having "the Old Jordans". Mind you, we're 2-3 years removed from one of the greatest seasons ever (95-96) and two years away from the IV returning for the first time. Me personally, I didnt really care about retro Jordans. I was so wrapped up with the XIV, Penny IV, Pippen III at that time.

it was just a different time.

I had 2 pairs of those.

M marztharealist

And what a shock when they also took the shape from this to this :sick:
Some of these feel like walking on bricks

2.jpg

1.jpg

Well, yeah, back then as soon as the new model came out, it wasn't cool to have the previous one anymore. It came up again in another thread the other day ... basically no one "got" the whole retro thing until many years later, me included. That said, the WC III was a shoe I coveted long before the retro movement came along. I always loved how casually smooth it looked, and the bluish gray on the toe and heel.
But you are right that in the moment, they looked plain and outdated overall compared to the IVs. Kinda to the point, when the Vs dropped, suddenly my IVs looked outdated, too. I remember getting the 3M tongue Fire Red Vs. I came home and called my friend who lived three houses down to come outside. When I took the Vs out of the box, and especially when I flipped them over to reveal the clear sole with a red jumpman behind it, he literally took a step back, threw his arms in the air and smacked one of his hands on top of his head, and went, "Whoooooaaaaaaa!" :lol:
To the 8th grade me and 6th grade him, those shoes were from another planet LOL

Idk why people finally "got it" in 1999 with the 4s. It seems like the sneakerheads and the mass market was ready for retro back then. Lots of people around my way, who never would have bought a retro sneaker, decided to by the 4s.

Maybe because MJ finally retired for the Bulls and had that last shot that was so hyped-up. Maybe they weren't sure of the way the brand was going (14s looking crazy-futuristic, team jordan shoes being cheaper and a little uglier) so they wanted something familiar.

Back
Top Bottom