Bachelor Pad.

Originally Posted by MattUT

^that fit in really well, kind of a weird question but how heavy are those?

Thanks bro, I actually fixed things up more and invested in some pillows, have to finish up the decor and picking up a floor lamp from west elm.The couches are actually very light, much lighter than the damn monstrous leather sectional I had.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I despise Ikea
This. A couple lamps (which someone complimented in here
laugh.gif
) are giving me issues, just not sturdy and cheap materials. Never again. For the record, I'm finding that BoConcept is almost like Ikea on steroids, my couch looks like crap and this glass vase I bought from them has a lot of imperfections. I'll be looking for quality furniture elsewhere from now on.

Eefffffffff BoConcept, a few years back I walked in, looked at this modern white leather loveseat, look at the tag and it read 10k, walked right out...ikea lighting for the most part is horrible
laugh.gif
Monta - I live in westchester county.
Yeahh, the price doesn't match the quality imo. Their crazy manchair was like 6k in leather and it looked all scratched up from people using it. No way am I going to blow 6k on that when Eames furniture is in that range.

Btw, judging by that apt layout, your place looks awesome!

Thanks man.... now all i have to do is put things into it, When I say I'm starting from scratch, I mean literally, all I have is a bed right now, box spring + mattress, oh and my dining room table which I have yet to move into the pace yet since I've been being lazy as @+%! the last few days...

Ill post pics when I move it in but I got the dining room table from a lady who was moving out of state, dining room table + 4 leather chairs for $200... the chairs sold separately are $100 each o_O its really nice though, I love it. The pics I have been seeing on here has gotten me so amped to move in and start decorating, I'm not really that creative, decorate an apartment kind of person though thats why i'm kinda stuck as to what I should do

I just got a stock broker job down in NYC, so I am stoked to finally make some cash and eventually (hopefully) move into the city.

I wanna live in the Madison Green Building because it is very close to my office building and the view is AMAZING with a porch where I can chill during the summer with my friends over some beer. Plus it is right next to the Flatiron building, which is dope.

Rent is $3,250 a month. Is it worth it for a one bedroom apartment with a full bathroom, living room, kitchen, and porch overlooking the park facing the Empire State Building?

It all depends on what you make bro, if 3500$ is no more than 40% of your monthly income I see no problem with it....I personally looooove the luxury apt on long island city overlooking the east river, shot a newborn and the family at their apt and they had a river view 3 bedroom 2 baths, ceiling to floor windows full view of lower midtown, AMAZING...and is within that same price range, just a hell of a lot bigger and about 4 minutes from the city...right across the midtown tunnel.

3,250 can get you a house down here
laugh.gif

I love NYC though so if I get a job up there I'd move there and pay their crazy rent prices with no problem

I love that a lot of you are doing well financially, $3250 for rent, man, my apartment is $700/month (and I live in a highly sought after area) and my Mom's is $400... If I didn't pay my mom's rent, I still would stay with this joint because its perfect for me (except these damn floors).... I'll most likely stay here until I'm ready to buy a house

Tried to go back and find the one that some guy had posted with the nice lighting on the sides from wayyyy early in the thread but cant find it, I'm looking for something like this (some woman is selling this on craigslist but she wants like 3k) that's not as expensive

It all depends on what you make bro, if 3500$ is no more than 40% of your monthly income I see no problem with it....I personally looooove the luxury apt on long island city overlooking the east river, shot a newborn and the family at their apt and they had a river view 3 bedroom 2 baths, ceiling to floor windows full view of lower midtown, AMAZING...and is within that same price range, just a hell of a lot bigger and about 4 minutes from the city...right across the midtown tunnel.

Once I figure out my money situation, I will have to figure it all out. I was down in the city on Sunday and saw that building and just loved it, but I know there are many, many more apartments that go for cheaper. But the view is just amazing.

Even living outside within 5 minutes of the city would be good for me, too.
Another thing I need to consider is the fact that my commute is now TWO hours each way and costs about $40 a day. So if I move into the city, I would save about three and a half hours and $40 a day.

sup, here is a better picture of the new bathroom set up...yeah i know its a tiny bathroom
laugh.gif

6934391391_d6c90bb1a8_b.jpg

also the new sofas

6788269380_aea8e1ffcd_b.jpg

I know man
roll.gif

Hey do you guys know of any DVD players that I can mount directly on the wall...

laugh.gif
Bang & Olufsen? Idk

So is Ikea's bathroom stuff worthy of a project? I have a his & her sink that I need to switch out, want to do everything right and be done with it. That's in addition to all the tiling and paint work I have to do in the bathroom.

honestly so far so good, i really think if you are not some brute, you could get away easily with their products, i really love their designs alot, they are modern and a variety of colors, and you can always do hacks and play around more, ive seen people use room drawers and turn them into his and hers sinks....lol honestly for the price you cant go wrong....i wanted to redo my tiles for something more fancy, but it would have came out to too much, maybe in the future.

Finnns are you doing anything with the wall linings? As in replacing them? If you are, seriously consider insulating the walls. It stops the bathroom from getting condensation on the walls... And adds a little bit of a sound barrier if you're prone to a few in-shower tunes
laugh.gif

Also, a plasterboard product specifically made for 'wet areas' would be best instead of your standard plasterboard linings.

Just had some work done on my house - certainly no bachelor pad with a wife and 3 kids but we now have an extra bedroom upstairs and an open plan living room/kitchen.

Everything painted white now - just need new flooring downstairs and carpet upstairs.

Got a new bed from Ikea which I like. Looks really clean as you can't see the storage unless you're beside it. I don't want to clutter up the room with cabinets and things - we've got a sort of walk in alcove which is the main storage and then the bed for books and stuff and pull out drawers underneath for bigger things.

brimnes-headboard-with-storage-compartment__0125317_PE263914_S4.JPG

No, that's the Ikea pic.

I don't have an up to date picture but here is one from Christmas eve. We put the kids presents up there because it was a nice open space. You can see the alcove on the right which opens up when you go in and there is hanging and shelf space - and a door on the left (which you can see) and another on the right which go under the eaves for storing bags and other stuff.

This is when it was plaster. It's all painted white now. Basically the room is symmetrical but without the alcove on the left. The bed (when I build it) will go against that wall and we've got drawer units that fit into the alcove (planning to put my socks and stuff in there!).

rh4dc0.jpg

honestly so far so good, i really think if you are not some brute, you could get away easily with their products, i really love their designs alot, they are modern and a variety of colors, and you can always do hacks and play around more, ive seen people use room drawers and turn them into his and hers sinks....lol honestly for the price you cant go wrong....i wanted to redo my tiles for something more fancy, but it would have came out to too much, maybe in the future.
I'll take a look at their store soon, my counter is really long. Not sure how that would work.

Finnns are you doing anything with the wall linings? As in replacing them? If you are, seriously consider insulating the walls. It stops the bathroom from getting condensation on the walls... And adds a little bit of a sound barrier if you're prone to a few in-shower tunes
laugh.gif

Also, a plasterboard product specifically made for 'wet areas' would be best instead of your standard plasterboard linings.
I might tile part of the wall, didn't think about anything else but I probably soon. The bathroom is the worst spot in my place for sure, needs a complete do over.
laugh.gif

It's a bigger bathroom (cathedral ceilings) so there's not a problem with condensation but I'll check out my options, thanks.

Kdawg I think you might want to pick up a bigger bed bro
roll.gif

Nah, it's just the room is totally enormous.
wink.gif

It's like when you see show homes and they get specially made furniture that is 2/3 the size - so the rooms look really spacious but you look like Shaq when you sit down.

It went over your head K
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
i was talking about the doll bed from ikea you got

That bed you want to go for is nice!...have you looked into west elm??...their beds are nice...my next bed will be dropped note floor...something about low furniture I love...

Back
Top Bottom