Blacks should get reparations for everything that occured between 1930-90s

Originally Posted by Swag Odie

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

There should be no such thing as "the black community".
I was going to quote everyone and address each ignorant comment specifically, but the task is too daunting. 
laugh.gif

Dude who said afro-americans got reparations for slavery through Affirmative Action and should be grateful (
roll.gif
X
indifferent.gif
) The audacity!
30t6p3b.gif
Take a look at what its actually done. 

OP listen to me, if you can't get reparations for an event 100% of people know is wrong, how in the world are you going to convince the same people to pay reparations for events that are debatable?

I understand with what your saying with that you make a point, but with slavery the time period is so far back many people will argue who specifically was affected by that and so on. With focus on things post-reconstruction we can see things that directly impacted current day black community.

The funny thing was that there were 2 instances of Blacks in America getting something back out of slavery. The first was from Special Field Orders, No. 15 which was quickly overturn once Lincoln died, the second attempt is a blank in my mind at the moment.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_acres_and_a_mule#cite_note-0

Originally Posted by mYKiCkZArEaG21

No no no.... It didn't happen to you.... I bet u don't even no ur ancestors names..... First and last and there top 5 favorite things to do
You going to tell that same thing to an ancestor of a nagasaki victim? 
I tell you, some of you have no grasp on the effects , systematic racism has on a group of people. 

Legislation has been brought up in regards to land distribution for blacks since the 1870's. There are several articles which easily claim, that blacks would have major financial control in our economy, something whites, didn't want then, and don't want now .http://dailyuw.com/news/2...parently-not-front-page/

Funny, how they had the same excuses a lot of you have now, only 200 years ago. My question is, if they deserved it 200 years ago, how do you rationalize blacks not deserving now? Almost 150 years later? Because the effects are no longer felt? False. Because we can't identify OUR ancestors? Who do we have to thank for that?

Funny how when it comes to just compensation, everybody wants to be one again!

Originally Posted by kix4kix

No no no.... It didn't happen to you.... I bet u don't even no ur ancestors names..... First and last and there top 5 favorite things to do
I tell you, some of you have no grasp on the effects , systematic racism has on a group of people. 

Legislation has been brought up in regards to land distribution for blacks since the 1870's. There are several articles which easily claim, that blacks would have major financial control in our economy, something whites, didn't want then, and don't want now .http://dailyuw.com/news/2...parently-not-front-page/

Funny, how they had the same excuses a lot of you have now, only 200 years ago. My question is, if they deserved it 200 years ago, how do you rationalize blacks not deserving now? Almost 150 years later? Because the effects are no longer felt? False. Because we can't identify OUR ancestors? Who do we have to thank for that?

BINGO

Thus the reason why the Panthers couldn't last. Panthers were accomplishing things the US government couldnt do with schools, ambulance programs, and many other social welfare programs.

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

So since you guys are very intelligent and not ignorant #!++@$#% who are debating a ridiculously dumb topic...

where is all the money coming from?

It's fact it is going to happen, so where is it coming from?
Another policy issue 
grin.gif

Apples and oranges my duke, lets say hypothetically, there is money to go around? You would be all for it huh 
eyes.gif

This is my biggest issue with white people, atleast there are folks in this thread who keep it real with themselves and speak their heart. As wrong as they may be, atleast they are giving real reasons. 

To answer your question though, the best plan I have heard of would be tax breaks for a limited time for african americans. Say 5-10 years. 

Originally Posted by kilojules64

After that start paying people for having a history of their family members coming out of a vagina, since there were so many injustices for women too.
Oh wait...
Then theres the issue of black women, who trust me. Have had it far more worse. 

next pointless argument please? 

Analyze yourself my man.

Not even trying to be a ****...but what is wrong with you? You essentially have the same mindset as my piece of _______ ancestors did all that time ago.

It is one of the worst things in recent history. Yes.

Is the way you are thinking any less selfless than that of them?

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

BINGO

Thus the reason why the Panthers couldn't last. Panthers were accomplishing things the US government couldnt do with schools, ambulance programs, and many other social welfare programs.
The panthers angered the u.s. government because not only did they have guns, they had a plan, which was even more terrifying 
pimp.gif

To all of you who can't even admit that blacks are deserving of reparations, go jump off a bridge. 

Originally Posted by natelav129

I get your point OP, but bruh u already know NT aint the place for this....
tired.gif

Personally can't take sides completely with either perspective ( i'm black if it matters)

Posting for later to see how large of an %+#@@!@ the fam rips him..

^ This! I hope the mods lock this. Any thread dealing with race does not belong here. OP, I see your list, but it's much deeper than that my friend.

Kix you're being very combative. Do you have an answer to the only point I've made, which is that it is impossible to give everyone the support they need if the proposed programs are on a race by race basis? Does that make sense in the context of any modern economy that exists?That is the impossibility I was talking about. I never said anything about blacks not deserving help like you implied in your first response to me.

Kix you're being very combative. Do you have an answer to the only point I've made, which is that it is impossible to give everyone the support they need if the proposed programs are on a race by race basis? Does that make sense in the context of any modernmodern economy that exists?
That is the impossibility I was talking about.
Combative? Not at all, I am just passionate about the topic, and choose to highlight facts, when people make invalid arguments against it. 
I already answered your question if you read through my posts. It is as possible now, as it ever was, through tax breaks. 

Answer my question though, if it WAS possible in your mind economically, would you be for reparations?  If the answer is no, does my response to you really matter anyway? And if the answer is yes, there are policies which would be more than fair. Most of which I wouldn't even fall under admittedly (I am half white, and my black parent wasn't even born here) 

The reason, why I am so bent on separating policy from the actual deserving of reparations, is that they are two entirely different issues. Take health care for example, do you think the right to health care has anything to do with how difficult it will be to transition to the new model? 

Here's a most recent example from my own experience of these reparations that you "don't get." I'm applying to law school for the Fall 12' cycle and am currently flabbergasted by what would be in my reach school and scholarship-wise if I was an African American. With my numbers, if I was black I would receive an instant-admit and at least a partial scholarship to a number of T14 schools. However, being that this is not the case; I am left trying to give out hand-jobs to just get ACCEPTED into a 48th ranked school without ANY financial help. 
ahhh the crybaby tactic

how about you apply to a school with a 6% white acceptance rate and tell me how easy it is to get in....

(osu was around 11%, mortiz college of law was under 6%)

you have to go to the 48th ranked school because, in competition with your white male peers, you are pretty terrible.

now, compared to the 6% of black students who apply, you maybe better than some percentage of them, but then again, they're 6% total

in the grand scheme, the 94% you're actually in competition with?

you're only good enough for 48th ranked and no scholarships

i know you werent blaming anybody

but

you were SLIGHTLY misinformed.....

and crying....a little bit.

Originally Posted by AlBooBoo5

because black people are the only race that has ever been enslaved

lets talk about all the other slave labor that benefited the USA

chinese? railroads....in the west.

indian? right.

irish?

roll.gif

we're done, now, right?

Originally Posted by HankMoody

What about every other maligned group? Muslims should get reparations for the last 10 years of fear-mongering. Don't forget about Executive Order 9066. Chinese Exclusion Act. But you don't really care.
They have to wait a couple decades like we did just like every other group that's gotten reparations from a country.

Originally Posted by rojanjon

Malcolm X started a movement right before he was assassinated in which he was proposing starting networks of voting commissions and lobbying groups all over the country and asking that people each contribute between $1 to $5 a piece to the fund to pay for lobbyists and campaigning programs for grassroots leaders to seek public election.  His vision was that there were millions and millions of workers and under represented people all over the country that had no voice in the political sphere of Washington, so he would have trained Constitutional and Corporate Law attorneys to work as lobbyists on Capitol Hill alongside the big tobacco, alcohol, munitions, media, communications, etc...lobbyists and argue and petition the Senate and House from the perspective of the common man.

It was just starting to pick up some ground when he was murdered.  It was a frightening movement from the standpoint of many big industry wigs.  They had every right to be afraid.  That movement would have been a very serious and popular challenge to their grip on power.

I just think it's time to start thinking more along the lines of people and stop thirsting for our own groups' benefit and desires.  Poverty affects everyone.  Crime affects everyone.  Murder and disease and injustice affects everyone.  

just my .02

<Lawrence Lessig, prominent HLS professor and public intellectual, has been recently promoting a version of this. (Republic, Lost is the book title for further reading)

I think a lot of people deserve reparations for their tax dollars because it's clear the education system failed to educate you properly, much less cure your ignorance.

Kix you're being very combative. Do you have an answer to the only point I've made, which is that it is impossible to give everyone the support they need if the proposed programs are on a race by race basis? Does that make sense in the context of any modernmodern economy that exists?
Combative? Not at all, I am just passionate about the topic, and choose to highlight facts, when people make invalid arguments against it. 
I already answered your question if you read through my posts. It is as possible now, as it ever was, through tax breaks. 

Answer my question though, if it WAS possible in your mind economically, would you be for reparations?  If the answer is no, does my response to you really matter anyway?

I strongly believe that it's not economically possible because the extent of the damage the government has done and the number of people affected is way too huge. If there was a total tax overhaul I'd see your point but that isn't realistic right now.If it were, of course I would agree with social and economic programs for American minorities. Different groups have progressed differently and need assistance in different areas. Until that can happen, I don't see how you can think the solution of centering programs around low income areas instead that I mentioned is unreasonable to the point of being invalid.

Answer my question though, if it WAS possible in your mind economically, would you be for reparations?  If the answer is no, does my response to you really matter anyway?

I strongly believe that it's not economically possible because the extent of the damage the government has done and the number of people affected is way too huge. If there was a total tax overhaul I'd see your point but that isn't realistic right now.If it were, of course I would agree with social and economic programs for American minorities. Different groups have progressed differently and need assistance in different areas. Until that can happen, I don't see how you can think the solution of centering programs around low income areas instead that I mentioned is unreasonable to the point of being invalid.
As unreasonable as slavery was/is. As far as your *until statement, it already has, and is very plausible. Just because you aren't aware of how so, doesn't make it impossible 
tired.gif

This is a good idea. They should put you in charge since you seem to have an idea of what would be fair for the black community.

I agree that black people deserve reparations for the gross injustices/atrocities they suffered in the United States
30t6p3b.gif
, but I'd say for what happened b/t 1890 - 1950ish - when blacks were technically "free" from slavery, but arguably suffered worse than they did in slavery. 

As slaves, blacks were the property of their masters, which meant slaveowners had incentives to feed them properly and protect them from harm. Afterward, it was the opposite, in that black lives were essentially seen as valueless. Blacks were arrested for crimes as trivial as being unemployed, or a "vagrant," then worked to death in chain gangs. They were swindled in labor contracts, and peonage basically replaced slavery. They were hunted like wild animals by mobs of bloodthirsty whites, who often cut them into tiny pieces and sold the parts as souvenirs.

At the same time, I think it would be impossible to give reparations b/c of the impossibility (and absurdity) of tracing genealogies to find out who actually suffered. I also think that any reparations given on the basis of race would merely harden racial categories, and, in turn, promote racism. But that doesn't mean we should "just move on" and forget about these atrocities. What happened in the past has shaped this world. And there are still lingering systems of oppression haunting blacks to this day (e.g mass incarceration of blacks, great book on the subject called The New Jim Crow). The only way we can identify these systems and work to reform them is by knowing the history of how they developed. 

OP do you think chappelle made that skit just for lulz, or do you think he was trying to make a point?

i mean really, ideologies like this really isn't helping anybody...you remind me of the black "isrealites" in philadelphia who are essentially the black ver of the KKK.
wpid-img_20110701_141928.jpg

all they do is hate on white people, spit bull**** interpretations of religions and views on politics and social aspects of life. they infuriate me every time i walk past because, again, they are exponentially adding to the negative generalizations of blacks in this country. not that you are on their level as far as i know, but...your post reminded me of them
laugh.gif

anyways this thread is far from powerful. its more of a trap where some1 slips up and gets assassinated by meth (and please believe, dude already has his sights on this thread). if it bothers you so much, do something to help out, and worry about how you can improve your life (like get an education, career, etc)

we need to do better
30t6p3b.gif

Why should you get money for anything? How was something that happened about 50 years ago effecting you, are you missing a leg from running a way from a slave owner? Where you attacked by the kkk? The op is just mad because he has no money and has to use someone as a scapegoat for his mistakes in life.

Back
Top Bottom