Building your own PC?

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

Originally Posted by Mrmeeh2

If you're a serious hardcore gamer gamer, I'd say go for anything AMD since they're more gamer friendly compared to Intel processors.
why do people still think this? when it comes to gaming Intel spanks AMD.

x2
smh.gif

seasonic makes horrible psu's
smh.gif

What makes you say that? They have some really good ones.
i've had 4 crap out on me

Oops, you also have to add in the operating system......that can be pretty pricy unless you have other methods of acquiring software. YOu can always go Windows7 Beta and call it a day too.

Originally Posted by Str8Hood

Anyone have any tips? I've been told that I should run the cables BEHIND the motherboard, so as to keep everything neat. I have zip ties inside the computer also. The temp is pretty low but the presentation is horrific. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
yea run the cables on the other side of the case. having all those cables hanging out makes it hard to clean or switch out a part in the future. iwill post a pic how the wiring on mine looks like

Thanks a lot. I'll be looking for the update. My biggest issue is the power for the fans in this case. There are 2 front fans, one on the top, one in theback, and one on the side. There is only one molex power rail that has all 5 adapters on it so its running all over the place. Thanks a lot for the help.

You should expect to fry it 0 times if you follow the BASIC rules of keeping yourself grounded and if it doesn't fit, don't force it.

You should expect to fry it 0 times if you follow the BASIC rules of keeping yourself grounded and if it doesn't fit, don't force it.
Exactly. The first time I built a PC I didn't get it up and running because a jumper came off my motherboard. I was heated. I had everythingin place and ready to boot it up. I re-read the manual and saw a little jumper in a picture then realized mine was missing. It was rolling around in my case...Never again had I had any issues... I've done over 5 builds now...

One of these little guys...
cmos_jumper.jpg

Do you guys prefer Sata DVD drives over IDE drives? I'm thinking about getting a new burner... I don't want Blu right now...

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5 GHz

• RAM: 8 GB (installed) / 8 GB (max)

• Hard Drive: 1 TB

• Optical Drive: DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM / BD-ROM

• Networking: Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000, 802.11b/g

• Graphics Controller: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

• Integrated Features: TV Tuner, Blu Ray

• OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition with SP1
$800? good deal ?

E8500 Processor 187.99
ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 144.99
AC Freezer 7 Pro 36.99
Arctic Silver AA-14G 6.99
OCZ Flex EX 4GB DDR2 115.99
Hitachi 1TB HDD 87.99
Asus EAH4850 Graphics Card 169.99
Asus Black 6x Blu-Ray 99.99
Thermaltake 600W Purepower 94.99
Antec 900 Case 109.99

Total 1055.90

That will give you a pretty decent machine with a lot of possibility for upgrades in the future. You always want to make sure you futureproof your machine.
There you have a Dual Core Processor Wolfdale with a decent clock speed. 4GB of DDR2 Gaming memory (fast access time). A TON (terabyte) of hard drive space. A graphics card that will support dual monitors as well as HDMI output up to 1080p. You have a Blu-Ray player. Your case. A phenomenal motherboard with a lot of upgrade options for the future. A great processor cooler and some good thermal compound. If you want me to slim it down a bit I will.

All of these prices are from NewEgg.com and most of the parts carry free shipping.
Is the RAM PC-6400?

If so, you would be a fool to buy it for $115.

PC-6400 can be had for $20 after rebates, or even less.

Originally Posted by Dam itz Lou

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5 GHz

• RAM: 8 GB (installed) / 8 GB (max)

• Hard Drive: 1 TB

• Optical Drive: DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM / BD-ROM

• Networking: Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000, 802.11b/g

• Graphics Controller: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

• Integrated Features: TV Tuner, Blu Ray

• OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition with SP1
$800? good deal ?
Do you get a monitor with it? That's a pretty good deal.

E8500 Processor 187.99
AC Freezer 7 Pro 36.99
Hitachi 1TB HDD 87.99
Antec 900 Case 109.99

Total 1055.90

That will give you a pretty decent machine with a lot of possibility for upgrades in the future. You always want to make sure you futureproof your machine.
There you have a Dual Core Processor Wolfdale with a decent clock speed. 4GB of DDR2 Gaming memory (fast access time). A TON (terabyte) of hard drive space. A graphics card that will support dual monitors as well as HDMI output up to 1080p. You have a Blu-Ray player. Your case. A phenomenal motherboard with a lot of upgrade options for the future. A great processor cooler and some good thermal compound. If you want me to slim it down a bit I will.

All of these prices are from NewEgg.com and most of the parts carry free shipping.
you can do much better than that..

graphic card, ram, mobo, case, cpu are way too expensive

and as for the arctic silver, you dont need it, ac7 comes with a preaplied paste that is said to be superior to as5

Naw but I already have one so its no biggy. Still a good deal without it ?

Eh, only if you don't feel comfortable building yourself it is... I say do it if that's the case.

I think it's a bit much for what you're getting.

The graphics card is mediocre.

Originally Posted by nnarum

Eh, only if you don't feel comfortable building yourself it is... I say do it if that's the case.
It depends, you think i'd save some cash ? I know a couple people that would build it for me for free.

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

E8500 Processor 187.99
AC Freezer 7 Pro 36.99
Hitachi 1TB HDD 87.99
Antec 900 Case 109.99

Total 1055.90

and as for the arctic silver, you dont need it, ac7 comes with a preaplied paste that is said to be superior to as5
preapplied paste is horrible

E8500 Processor 187.99
AC Freezer 7 Pro 36.99
Hitachi 1TB HDD 87.99
Antec 900 Case 109.99

Total 1055.90

My dad has his own company and he builds and repairs computers. I'd say where you are at right now, don't go the route of custom computers. Not allthat profitable unless you are doing a lot of machines at once for a company or you just have a really gullible and ignorant client. It's up to you just my$.02

Originally Posted by Respect21

I think it's a bit much for what you're getting.

The graphics card is mediocre.
He said he doesn't really do much gaming. He mostly browses and uses it for storage of downloads... I say go for it then. Is it $800 shipped?

And since everyone is posting their setups...

E8200 @ 2.66GHz
4 GB of ram
GeForce 8600 GT (Not the best card, but it does it's job for me.)
2 Harddrives (320 GB and 500 GB)
Windows Vista Home Premium
19" Samsung widescreen monitor

I mainly use mine for browsing and downloading like you Lou...

E8500 Processor 187.99
AC Freezer 7 Pro 36.99
Hitachi 1TB HDD 87.99
Antec 900 Case 109.99

Total 1055.90

that is not true
most preapplied paste these days are actually good ( and doesnt void warranty )
arctic silver has been out for quite sometime now and the technology is outdated
the ac7 comes preapplied with arctic mx 2 which is superior to as5
arctic silver 5 is still a very good paste, probably the 3rd best right now and I still use only arctic silver 5 because I have a ton left and spending moneyto buy some ac mx 2 would just be a waste since its only slightly better than as5

Originally Posted by rickybadman

I waiting until the end of 2009 to build my next PC. To many major changes will take place this year and I don't want to be stuck. i.e the Intel Larabee, Scandisk's 250gb SSD and Windows 7/Directx 11 cards. I am also waiting for DDR3 memory and i7 motherboards to drop in price.
I like the idea of SSD, but I hear it's limited to the amount of times you can write to it... Also I've heard you shouldn't put yourOS on one because of the constant changes and updates that require new data to be written, which leads to the problem of amount of writes in a disks lifetime.And writing is slow on SSD... Still I like the technology, but it has growing pains.

And if you keep waiting for DD3, there will be DD4 by the time you decide to purchase... That's the problem with tech, it's outdated within 12 months.

E8500 Processor 187.99
AC Freezer 7 Pro 36.99
Hitachi 1TB HDD 87.99
Antec 900 Case 109.99

Total 1055.90

that is not true
most preapplied paste these days are actually good ( and doesnt void warranty )
arctic silver has been out for quite sometime now and the technology is outdated
the ac7 comes preapplied with arctic mx 2 which is superior to as5
arctic silver 5 is still a very good paste, probably the 3rd best right now and I still use only arctic silver 5 because I have a ton left and spending money to buy some ac mx 2 would just be a waste since its only slightly better than as5
hmm..maybe now it's good. When i built my first pc..the cpu would get real hot real quick with the preapplied paste..

we might as make this the official custom pc thread

these are my specs, they are not great but serve me just fine
most of the parts are recycled

e8200 oc to 3.6ghz
4gb pc1066 ram
asus hd4850
250gb sata western digital
8x Nec dvd burner ide
Gigabyte p35-ds4
audigy 2 platinum ex
antec super lanboy
arctic cooling freezer pro

my 2 laptops

dell xps m1330
intel t7500 2.2 ghz
4gb ram
8400m gs
200gb hard drive
1gb intel turbo memory
bluetooth
intel 4965abgn wireless card
LED screen

my other laptop
gateway p7811-fx
I got this on tiger direct for 700 dollars, it was an absolute steal
this is my main computer now, cant wait for diablo 3 and have some nerdy lan parties

intel 2.23 core 2 duo
360gb
4gb ddr3 ram
9800m gts 512mb
1920x1200 resolution 17 in screen

Back
Top Bottom