Calipari to Kentucky.

and i've only heard 3 guys answer the question "who do you think will be the next UK coach."

Pat Forde: Travis Ford
Seth Davis: John Calipari
Matt May (a UK Rivals guy): Billy Donovan

tells ya alot, huh?
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

as much as I think Seth Davis is an idiot, i pray he's right. he's a dukie tho, probably just trying to get some UK fans' hopes up.

and plans have been made to speak with Tom Izzo when MSU's done....so go Louisville.
ohwell.gif
sick.gif

Travis Ford makes the most sense because he has UK ties..
Watch out for Sean Miller from XU
I wonder how much say is Ashley Judd is gonna have when it comes to hiring this time
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I know right....Pitino DOES. NOT. WANT. to see Calipari leading theprogram that he left....

DO IT MITCH! @%%+!!!!!!

calipari isnt going anywhere.

no damn way he leaves with this recruiting class on the way.

plus memphis is the better recruiting program uk doesnt have nearly the allure it once did. nobody wants to play for a program with fickle fans and management.

memphis is the trendy school right now, plus recruits like the idea of guaranteed 30 win seasons.

Cal IS the recruiting program. He has players funneled to him.

Cousins chose Cal, not Memphis.

Wall would choose Cal, not Memphis.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Cal IS the recruiting program. He has players funneled to him.

Cousins chose Cal, not Memphis.

Wall would choose Cal, not Memphis.
Yep... If you think Memphis is going to recruit at this level if Calipari leaves for another program, you're brain dead...

Still a damn good program, but they're not gonna be closing Top 5 classes year in and out...

Calipari at Kentucky with those resources and that kind of history/tradition =
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
Status...

And it ain't like if he went to Kentucky he'd be leaving that whole class behind... Cousins hasn't signed... Wall hasn't even chosen Memphisyet... Them two could follow wherever they wished...

All it's gonna take to get UK back on the path to elite status is a top flight coach and one good season... It's only a matter of time...

I just don't see Cal leaving but then again if he did, I wouldn't be surprised...it seems like he walks on water there and has no reason to leave...

That facebook group is growing quick
eek.gif
, and I was thinking that two peoplemade up names acting like his daughters, but i was wrong
laugh.gif
, they looklegit.

And Meeks, Patterson, Stevenson, and Harris have all joined already
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

calipari isnt going anywhere.

no damn way he leaves with this recruiting class on the way.

plus memphis is the better recruiting program uk doesnt have nearly the allure it once did. nobody wants to play for a program with fickle fans and management.

memphis is the trendy school right now, plus recruits like the idea of guaranteed 30 win seasons.
No recruit gives a #*@* about Memphis (which is a *$$%** city) and 30 meaningless wins. Memphis is only getting these players because of Cal andWes. First day Cal steps on Kentucky's floor the allure is back. The only resource Cal loses is Fed Ex, which he'll quickly replace with the endlessamount of boosters Kentucky has.

http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/

I just spoke with someone who is likely one of the two closest sources I have in this process. He tells me two things. First, Calipari has stronglyexpressed interest to the Kentucky folks and that he wants to meet with the UK brass. In addition, he told me that many at UK are warming to thethought of Calipari and that part of the reason has to do with the comments down the road. There is a feeling from some that Pitino had a role in Donovan'sinitial decision to turn down the job a few days ago and that there is a sentiment that getting Calipari would mean getting a Coach who is "committed toowning this state."

The individual told me that if he were a betting man, the list right now looks like this:

1. Calipari
2. Izzo
3. Barnes/Matta/Miller

Should be interesting…..

Originally Posted by jdcurt2

http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/

I just spoke with someone who is likely one of the two closest sources I have in this process. He tells me two things. First, Calipari has strongly expressed interest to the Kentucky folks and that he wants to meet with the UK brass. In addition, he told me that many at UK are warming to the thought of Calipari and that part of the reason has to do with the comments down the road. There is a feeling from some that Pitino had a role in Donovan's initial decision to turn down the job a few days ago and that there is a sentiment that getting Calipari would mean getting a Coach who is "committed to owning this state."

The individual told me that if he were a betting man, the list right now looks like this:

1. Calipari
2. Izzo
3. Barnes/Matta/Miller

Should be interesting…..

If they can get either one of those two... resurgence is a certainty.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

these things are true:

- Coach told Jodie Meeks in a number of games to stop shooting and decried him for his selfishness, even during his 54 point performance in Knoxville. He told Meeks he should quit on a number of occasions and even threatened to kick him off the team in his last game ever, in South Bend during the NIT.

- At halftime of one game, he forced a player to sit in a bathroom stall with the door closed during the entire break because he said he couldnt stand to look at him.

- On more than one occasion, when a young player went into his office to ask for advice on how he could get better, he returned from the office having been berated by the coach and crying as he returned to Wildcat Lodge.

- On one road trip, a player who had been injured but was deemed to be too "soft" by the Coach was told to walk to the hotel from the arena, and only after teammates said that they would be get off the bus and walk with him, was he allowed back on.
smh.gif

and i don't think Jasper transferred because he wanted to get closer to home. Jasper returned to action quickly following his microfracture surgery because he felt pressured by BG basically saying he was a soft %%!!%.

you can act like Bob Knight if you're winning games.

You seem surprised...he did a lot of the exact same stuff at A&M as well. He used to make Josh Carter cry all the time, and told Acie not toshoot again on several occasions.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

No hate, but how many UK 'insiders' are there?

laugh.gif
a million...but that stuff that my man jdcurt posted is from MattJones and he usually spills only good info. he's kinda "my guy" in that i almost always check his thoughts on anything i hear, he's madesome great connections over the last few years in Lexington.

I'm gonna remain cautiously optimistic...but I can feel it.
pimp.gif

tmay, really? i mean, i knew he was a hard [email protected] telling your best player to quit and making an injured player walk to the hotel is OD.

John Calipari's daughter, Erin Calipari, is an officer of a "Calipari to UK" facebook group.

pimp.gif
Why would she bring unwanted attention to the situation?

whacha mean Rell??

I mean nothing is confirmed yet by either party and being a seed of his pushing for him to go to UK doesn't make sense while he is still under contract atMemphis.

tmay, really? i mean, i knew he was a hard [email protected] telling your best player to quit and making an injured player walk to the hotel is OD.
Yeah, that kinda stuff coming out about him at UK isn't surprising at all...

He was loved by people in College Station for it though... If UK's people woulda asked the right people the right questions, they'd have known thatkinda stuff was part of the Billy G 'package' from the jump...
laugh.gif

I knew he did stuff like that at Texas A&M, I hadn't heard about him making Josh Carter cry though...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Calipari could meet with Kentucky on Monday
http://images.cbssports.c...uthors-318x86/10310.jpg)no-repeat left top; HEIGHT: 91px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0> [table][tr][td]March 29, 2009
By Gary Parrish
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Tell Gary your opinion![/td] [/tr][/table]

Memphis
coach John Calipari has let Kentucky officials know that he's interested in the school's vacant head coaching position, and he could talk with UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart as early as Monday, a source with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com on Sunday.

Kentucky fired Billy Gillispie on Friday after just two seasons, and CBSSports.com immediately reported Calipari as a legitimate candidate despite the Memphis coach telling local media he planned to remain at Memphis for a 10th season. Multiple sources close to Calipari have said there's no guarantee he would take the Kentucky job if offered, but those same sources have privately insisted for weeks that if Kentucky showed interest Calipari would listen.

One possible problem with jumping to Kentucky, some have claimed, is that Calipari has the nation's top recruiting class lined up, and he would not want to leave that behind. But those close to Calipari believe it's possible to take parts of that recruiting class to Kentucky -- specifically unsigned prospects DeMarcus Cousins and John Wall -- and that if Calipari could pair it with Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks the Wildcats might threaten for a Final Four next season.

Calipari could meet with Kentucky on Monday
http://images.cbssports.c...8x86/10310.jpg)no-repeat left top; HEIGHT: 91px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0> [table][tr][td]March 29, 2009
By Gary Parrish
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Tell Gary your opinion![/td] [/tr][/table]

Memphis
coach John Calipari has let Kentucky officials know that he's interested in the school's vacant head coaching position, and he could talk with UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart as early as Monday, a source with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com on Sunday.

Kentucky fired Billy Gillispie on Friday after just two seasons, and CBSSports.com immediately reported Calipari as a legitimate candidate despite the Memphis coach telling local media he planned to remain at Memphis for a 10th season. Multiple sources close to Calipari have said there's no guarantee he would take the Kentucky job if offered, but those same sources have privately insisted for weeks that if Kentucky showed interest Calipari would listen.

One possible problem with jumping to Kentucky, some have claimed, is that Calipari has the nation's top recruiting class lined up, and he would not want to leave that behind. But those close to Calipari believe it's possible to take parts of that recruiting class to Kentucky -- specifically unsigned prospects DeMarcus Cousins and John Wall -- and that if Calipari could pair it with Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks the Wildcats might threaten for a Final Four next season.

pimp.gif

[h2]Source: Kentucky job on Calipari's mind[/h2]
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com
Archive

Coach John Calipari is spending Monday meeting with Memphis officials and contemplating what is expected to be a multiyear, multimillion offer to coach Kentucky, a source close to the situation said.

Calipari met with Kentucky officials on Sunday at an undisclosed location, at which time he was given an outline on the length of a deal and contract dollars to succeed Billy Gillispie, the source said.

But more than the money, Calipari has to decide if he wants to leave a program in Memphis that he has transformed into a national championship contender for one of the most tradition-rich programs in the sport that has recently fallen upon hard times.

Calipari's top recruit, DeMarcus Cousins, has made an oral commitment to Memphis, but because national letters of intent do not have to be signed until next month, Cousins could easily follow Calipari to Kentucky if he were to become the Wildcats' coach.

Calipari has a longstanding rivalry with Louisville coach Rick Pitino, who coached Kentucky to a national championship in 1996, and would have the opportunity to go head to head with him within the borders of a state that considers college basketball to be the national pastime.

Gillispie was fired on Friday after two seasons as coach of the Wildcats and a 40-27 record. Kentucky this year missed the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1991.

Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart has said the search to replace Gillispie will focus on finding someone who can match the passion of the school's rabid fan base.

Calipari and Memphis advanced to the Sweet 16 this season despite losing three key pieces to 2008's national runner-up squad in Derrick Rose, Chris Douglas-Roberts and Joey Dorsey.

The Tigers lost 102-91 to Missouri on Thursday to end a 27-game winning streak, finishing 33-4 for their fourth straight 30-win campaign. Memphis is also the nation's only team with a No. 1 or No. 2 seed in the NCAA tournament the past four years.

Calipari, 252-69 in nine seasons at Memphis and 445-140 overall, was named the Sports Illustrated coach of the year before the start of the NCAA tournament, the first time he received SI's award. Calipari was the Naismith coach of the year last season, joining Duke's Mike Krzyzewski as the only coaches to be named twice to the award since its inception in 1987.

Calipari went 193-71 in eight seasons at Massachusetts from 1988 to 1996, culminating with an Elite Eight appearance in '95 and a trip to the Final Four in '96.

Calipari, a graduate of Clarion State (Pa.) in 1982, also coached the NBA's New Jersey Nets from 1996-98, going 72-112 before his ouster early in the 1998-99 season.

Back
Top Bottom