Do Nice Guys Finish Last In Life

indifferent.gif

well so far, it looks like it. I thought that after HS, itd be a drastic change, but even in college its still the same. Also Ive had multiple internships and whenever you try and be nice, coworkers see it as being boring and not exciting enough. I guess they want you to be the alpha male of the office

Why respond if your not going to post anything insightful to the people posting stonefaces.

I think pushovers get shafted but if your nice but exert a stern mindset at the same time women will respect you.

Originally Posted by blakep267

well so far, it looks like it. I thought that after HS, itd be a drastic change, but even in college its still the same. Also Ive had multiple internships and whenever you try and be nice, coworkers see it as being boring and not exciting enough. I guess they want you to be the alpha male of the office
I think people often incorrectly equate being nice with being a push-over.

And there's a big difference between being assertive and being a jerk

doesnt matter how old you are....being a nice guy wont win you anything...dont be a COMPLETE +%@@+%! either...being nice should be rare for you because others will appreciate it more because its rare for you to be nice in the first place...so be 83% +%@@+%! and 17% nice...thats just how society is in the U.S (at least in NY)
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by youngdoc

I think people often incorrectly equate being nice with being a push-over.

And there's a big difference between being assertive and being a jerk
true, but say your in a meeting and you want to be polite and let everybody get a word in. In that situation, being a "pushover" and being polite for the next person is 1 in the same to some people. Im not going to cut you off and talk over somebody, so Im a pushover, when I just see it as being courteous to the next guy.

I think there are exceptions to the rule but from how I see it, nice guys do finish last. It's a whole different battlefield when you get older. I am 30 years old and work in insurance and everyone that has "made it" financially are all a-holes or work the corporate system. No one is genuine and everyone is looking to stab you in the back so they can move up. Also women can be no better. As you get older, the all mighty dollar is in fact important more important then a man's personality or even looks. There are some straight gold diggers out there and none will give you the time of day unless you are successful.

Anyways....my advise, go to college and really know what you are getting yourself into. Network, study your major and put in work so the older part of your life doesn't suck.

Finishing last in life is really up to what the person makes it out to be. 
In the marriage category: Girls and women date the A-holes but when it comes time to settle down and get married they will oftentimes choose the guy that is what you may call the "nice guy" as she doesn't want to screw around with flaky cheating neanderthals for the rest of her life. 

In the money/corporate category: Tough and shrewd business sharks often survive because they're not averse to backstab and step all over people to get what they want and achieve that top position and get a much more substantial paycheck. Nice guys play by the rules and wait their turn as opposed to taking what is rightfully theirs. 

In essence I feel that it's good to be a bit of a shark when it comes to the corporate ladder and success and it's also good to not be so nice in a relationship where you're not getting the respect that you deserve... but still to be nice and just in your convictions. 

The yin and the yang, my friends. 

DRAGON-vs-TIGER2.jpg

Don't listen to these guys, famb.

Nice guys don't finish last.

Spineless pushovers do.

What's being considered nice? Thinking and caring about how your actions and words can affect other people? Playing it safe all the damn time cause thats whats personally comfortable?

Originally Posted by cap1229

What's being considered nice? Thinking and caring about how your actions and words can affect other people? Playing it safe all the damn time cause thats whats personally comfortable?

I would consider nice to be ehh not overly aggressive in a sense. Like for instance, talking to a girl. You could go about it a smooth, nice guy way, offer a date etc. or like most bros and frat guys I see in college, be just %++#% and still get chicks.  But then, I guess that kinda depends on what kind of girls you are dealing with also
For example, Im more of a reserved laid back person, so me also being nice isnt a good thing in a sense.

I think it only applies if you are a push over and allow it to continue. I believe if you a push over you never get started to finish in the first place, you'll just always be lingering around looking for direction instead of creating and carving a lane. There are people that could fall into a nice guy category and have the desire and ambition to go out and do things and make things happen, but someone that's a push over may not posses that instinct and ambition to be a leader.

"Girls and women date the A-holes but when it comes time to settle down and get married they will oftentimes choose the guy that is what you may call the "nice guy" as she doesn't want to screw around with flaky cheating neanderthals for the rest of her life".

True indeed. That's a risky move on their part though...

Originally Posted by cap1229

I would consider nice to be ehh not overly aggressive in a sense. Like for instance, talking to a girl. You could go about it a smooth, nice guy way, offer a date etc. or like most bros and frat guys I see in college, be just %++#% and still get chicks.  But then, I guess that kinda depends on what kind of girls you are dealing with also
For example, Im more of a reserved laid back person, so me also being nice isnt a good thing in a sense.

I see what you mean. All im gonna say is just cause you are nice doesnt mean you have to be a prick and **** ppl around if you arent naturally that way. You can set boundaries and still be you. This also doesnt mean you arent capable of some truly deplorable actions. The nice guy title to me is bs. At least with the #%%@*+%%, goons, backstabbers etcs they admit who they are right from the beginning and if you still dealing with them after that its on you. What i hate more than anything is a now jerk that used to be a nice guy. People change due to life experience but dont be a prick just for the hell of it cause when it truly comes to getting over on somebody and doing the dirty work that comes from that life they just dont have the heart (<--that can be taken as professionally.)

more like most girls like a-holes. (appeal not understandable lol, but most probably of short attention/emotional span.

and nice guys will like these girls even if they know theyre like that. also that 85% of girls are this way, the odds of finding a girl whos like you and likes you for being nice are slim.

so short answer, yes.

Back
Top Bottom