Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I like wearing suits but I would feel stupid wearing a suit to work and it would definitely draw unwanted attention. I'm one of the youngest employees at my organization and only branch/division/directorate/organization heads wear suits every day. I still want to get a navy and/or charcoal suit that I can wear every once in a while though.
dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

Thinking about using that 50% F&F coupon at BR this weekend (thanks again, W!) on a new suit. Should come out to about $250-300 after discount for their Tailored Fit or Modern Slim Fit options. Anyone have experience with these?

I've tried on their Tailored Fit jackets in store and they seem to fit pretty well OTR, may need to have the sides taken in a bit. Haven't seen or tried on the Modern Slim Fit jacket yet.
That's why I wanted the F&F coupon at BR. I've been looking to buy a suit from there since all my work pants are the Tailored Fit. I was going to grab a suit to try on and saw the price tag and it was too much at the time.

If anyone who received the BR F&F coupon from wj4's friend will not be using it PLEASE PM me because I will put it to use. Thanks.

I like wearing suits but I would feel stupid wearing a suit to work and it would definitely draw unwanted attention. I'm one of the youngest employees at my organization and only branch/division/directorate/organization heads wear suits every day. I still want to get a navy and/or charcoal suit that I can wear every once in a while though.
Well this was supposed to a gif of the rock clapping... oh well

Last edited:
In Chicago a week or 2 ago-
Originally Posted by Hennessy  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in the same boat, one of the youngest here... And just the higher ups wear suits etc....      Like my man said above, dress for the job you want.

When i played High School ball, in the playoffs coach said "Theres no need to get the goosebumps, feel scared etc, Act like you been here before"

I just use that thought process all the time... .Just incorporate pieces in little by little.. .a Blazer, a tie, a vest, here and there until you fell comfortable.

I dress in accordance with the culture of my organization and use my resume/experience/job performance to advance the job I already have. Trust me, no one is getting a promotion based off their appearance where I work. I already "dress better" than many of my co-workers in regards to the fit of my shirt/pants, width of my ties, and footwear selection. There's no need for me to wear a suit. When the time comes I'll be all over it but I'd rather spend my disposable income on other things than a suit collection right now because that's just unnecessary and frivolous spending for my situation. Social outings/weekend trips/concerts/vacations > being overdressed. I got my whole life to wear a suit but I have limited time to get it in when I'll still young. I'm trying to meet new people, see the world, experience new things. Not be stuck at home staring into my closet of clothes I don't wear. We all have different values and opinions though.

Edit: I share your sentiment if I'm going for an interview at a new job, just not my current position.

Last edited:
That's why I wanted the F&F coupon at BR. I've been looking to buy a suit from there since all my work pants are the Tailored Fit. I was going to grab a suit to try on and saw the price tag and it was too much at the time.

If anyone who received the BR F&F coupon from wj4's friend will not be using it PLEASE PM me because I will put it to use. Thanks.

Hey, if I end up not getting anything I'll be sure to forward my coupon to you.

Last edited:
I dress in accordance with the culture of my organization and use my resume/experience/job performance to advance the job I already have. Trust me, no one is getting a promotion based off their appearance where I work. I already "dress better" than many of my co-workers in regards to the fit of my shirt/pants, width of my ties, and footwear selection. There's no need for me to wear a suit. When the time comes I'll be all over it but I'd rather spend my disposable income on other things than a suit collection right now because that's just unnecessary and frivolous spending for my situation. Social outings/weekend trips/concerts/vacations > being overdressed. I got my whole life to wear a suit but I have limited time to get it in when I'll still young. I'm trying to meet new people, see the world, experience new things. Not be stuck at home staring into my closet of clothes I don't wear. We all have different values and opinions though.
No doubt, no doubt....  

I wouldnt say i personally spend a good amount on clothing.. I literally wait for REALLY good deals... What someone might spend on a Jcrew shirt brand new for this season ($90) , Ill drop $90 on 2 pants, and 2 shirts, maybe a pair of socks too.

When i travel/social outings i also like to dress how i do every other day.... I consider it a little more casual now after doing it for some time....

Personally i have come a long way from getting pulled over because personal appearance etc... Not saying this is you or how you dress, I respect what your saying #100, like you said we all have different values and opinions. 

:lol: that's what one of my directors always say. I'm the youngest one in our office by a good 5 yr or so. I still wear suits when I feel like it.

Not sure if the shoes are working for you in term of proper fitting. The 'v' on the balmoral is far too spread apart.

nothing more than 150-200. Yeah like polo button ups for the fall
If you're talking $150 or 200 per shirt I would go bespoke or MTM. My guy does his shirts in house for $200 a pop so that's a range you can really work with.

Id stay away from Polo though. At least the cheaper lined with the logo on front.

although I do agree for the most of it, I do think that this statement has to be handled reservedly, like Hank said in an earlier post (might've been in another topic) you don't want to be overdressing VPs or even MDs at for example a bank, by rocking french cuffs.

laugh.gif
that's what one of my directors always say. I'm the youngest one in our office by a good 5 yr or so. I still wear suits when I feel like it.
Not sure if the shoes are working for you in term of proper fitting. The 'v' on the balmoral is far too spread apart.
Good call, these are not tied up at all, Very loose fit..   I do this on days i have to fly out, so i can pull one string and pull off in security..

when they are actually tied up, they do not touch (sides) but there is prolly about a pencil width. 

although I do agree for the most of it, I do think that this statement has to be handled reservedly, like Hank said in an earlier post (might've been in another topic) you don't want to be overdressing VPs or even MDs at for example a bank, by rocking french cuffs.

Nor do you want to be wearing a suit in a jeans/t-shirt environment. Younger, more stubborn guys wont understand this concept but it will make sense later in your career(s).

Most of y'all know me so the deal is understood. I'm gonna rock what I'm gonna rock. Not worrying about them other dudes.

Last edited:
Most of y'all know me so the deal is understood. I'm gonna rock what I'm gonna rock. Not worrying about them other dudes.
2nd time this dude caused this debate :lol: solution is to rock a t shirt with suit printed on :pimp:

I think this statement really highlights your naiveness. While it's cool that you like to play dress up, you have to understand that some people might be speaking from experience.

You don't want to be that dude who is always trying to look better than everyone else and then fail to get a promotion/advancement as a result.

You say you don't worry about other people, which is great, but you don't work for yourself. You work for other people, so you have to always be taking their opinion of you into consideration, especially if they have control over your livelihood.

Last edited:
Not to ride Wiz's coattails but I just realized that I'm not using all of the spots for my Banana Republic F&F. PM me your email and I'll add you to my list.

Not to ride Wiz's coattails but I just realized that I'm not using all of the spots for my Banana Republic F&F. PM me your email and I'll add you to my list.
Hey man. Prepare to be flooded with PMs :lol: the more help the merrier :smile:

I think this statement really highlights your naiveness. While it's cool that you like to play dress up, you have to understand that some people might be speaking from experience.

You don't want to be that dude who is always trying to look better than everyone else and then fail to get a promotion/advancement as a result.

You say you don't worry about other people, which is great, but you don't work for yourself. You work for other people, so you have to always be taking their opinion of you into consideration, especially if they have control over your livelihood.
This is my concern.

I'm going on one year working for my company next month and my supervisor has already informed me that I'm getting a raise.

I prepare a lot of work that my supervisor distributes at meetings to share with the other branch chiefs, our division head, and sometimes the directorate head. He brings me to the meetings since I prepared the documents and so that I can take notes on what leadership says during the meetings. I remain relatively quiet and do not need to be out dressing my supervisor with a suit. Dressing neatly with a shirt and tie is enough.

I would rather be recognized for my work first, before people take note of my wardrobe and the fact that I wear suits all the time. It has paid off so far. I think it'd be ok to wear a suit every now and then since I've been here for a year and now know all the branch chiefs personally. People used to struggle to put a face to my email address when I first started working. I had a lot of people say, "ohhh, so you're ______!" I just prefer to gain recognition humbly through hard work instead of draw attention by dressing better than my superiors right away. I want to fit in with the organization first, before I stand out.

This talk is getting out of hand. It varies by industry so take that into consideration as well. Adrian is doing well. Dude just finished his undergrad, got an internship and got a full time gig now. If he wants to dress up in the process, let him be.

Adrian obviously falls into the group of those who like to wear suits as oppose to being forced to wear them. If he needs to change the way he dresses, it will be discussed with him by the person he reports into. As long as his work is top notch, I doubt he's going to be out of a job though.

I get the same snark comments at work and I don't even work in finance. "Hey, it's Mr. GQ" has become a common comment. Luckily for me the person I report into is heavily into fashion as well. I know where my career is headed and what my plans are. The way I dress has very little correlation with my success, as long as I look at least presentable. I probably sound like a broken record by now talking about my experience in hiring people at my former job and eventually picking the guy who did not wear a suit and my intern experience at NASA and the culture there so I will skip that.

Last edited:
This talk is getting out of hand. It varies by industry so take that into consideration as well. Adrian is doing well. Dude just finished his undergrad, got an internship and got a full time gig now. If he wants to dress up in the process, let him be.

Adrian obviously falls into the group of those who like to wear suits as oppose to being forced to wear them. If he needs to change the way he dresses, it will be discussed with him by the person he reports into. As long as his work is top notch, I doubt he's going to be out of a job though.
How is the talk getting out of hand? I'm just sharing my opinion. I never came at Adrian but I'm sure he could defend himself if I did. Did not realize you were one of his delegates...

It's just the cyclical part of this thread. Ain't no thang.

I see the merit in what you all are saying but speaking for myself, met all my managers and supervisors yesterday and they all complimented the way I dressed. Supervisor even mentioned how he hated how lax others in my dept dress with tshirts everyday so I think I'll be fine fellas. Today I wore jeans if it makes y'all feel better...but I wore it with a blazer :wink:

How is the talk getting out of hand? I'm just sharing my opinion. I never came at Adrian but I'm sure he could defend himself if I did. Did not realize you were one of his delegates...

because this comes up every 3 weeks or so
Exactly.

I'm not one of his "delegates" not was I talking directly about you. Otherwise I would've quoted you. I don't even know who you are.

It's just the cyclical part of this thread. Ain't no thang.

I see the merit in what you all are saying but speaking for myself, met all my managers and supervisors yesterday and they all complimented the way I dressed. Supervisor even mentioned how he hated how lax others in my dept dress with tshirts everyday so I think I'll be fine fellas. Today I wore jeans if it makes y'all feel better...but I wore it with a blazer :wink:

Good stuff. But just from reading the posts, nobody seems butt hurt over it except you. I see guys stating their opinions (in a constructive way) and you jump to saying **** like "I don't care what y'all dudes think" and "well if it makes Y'ALL feel better."

Just chill :lol:

Your fits are always consistently nice Adrian, but from what I observe, you DO care.

Back
Top Bottom