Dressing Better Vol 2.0

For all the guys who grew up in a big city, would you dudes relocate to a very small town for a better job opt? I have a couple of offers on the table, but they are in very small towns in the Midwest.

I had a friend who moved from L.A. to Akron for a job and she said she had to drive like 30 mins to get to the nearest Walmart
laugh.gif
depends on what you're looking for in life.  there are a lot of variables that go into that decision.

for example, i'm a lawyer (currently underemployed) but largely because i've made the decision that i want to spend the next few years of my life in nyc near family and certain close friends.  a lot of things led up to the decision for me and it's more important than getting guap somewhere far away etc.

for you quality of life may be more important than stacking up.  i mean at the end of the day, you wont get those years back, no matter what anyone tells you.

then again a good friend of mine just moved from nyc to minnesota because she felt her job and the pace of life out here was killing her.

it may be a better job, but unless youre someone who lives his job 24/7 there are so many other things to consider, i.e. your happiness when you're off work.

Last edited:
I was just at J-Crew thinking about picking this item up.

But when I looked at the fabrics a red flag popped up.... it was Polyester, Acrylic and I became hesitant.

Wasn't sure if a jacket of this style comes in a better fabric. I assume it would right?

Should I pick it up or hold out and look for a better quality?

For all the guys who grew up in a big city, would you dudes relocate to a very small town for a better job opt? I have a couple of offers on the table, but they are in very small towns in the Midwest.

I had a friend who moved from L.A. to Akron for a job and she said she had to drive like 30 mins to get to the nearest Walmart :lol:
I'd move to NJ so i wont have to pay taxes on stores in NY :smokin
But i hate how corporations are moving back offices to places in the middle of nowhere to save costs.
A friend of mine works for IPG and most of the employees in the US are in Omaha i think
Also read a wsj article where it said banks and other big corporations were moving back office to cheaper places in the US and only having front office in NY

But when I looked at the fabrics a red flag popped up.... it was Polyester, Acrylic and I became hesitant.

Wasn't sure if a jacket of this style comes in a better fabric. I assume it would right?

Most similar quilted jackets will be polyester, nylon, etc. Polyester & acrylic are only mostly issues to me as a blend with wool in items like outwear, suits & sweaters or in shirts but more with cotton & lycra.

How much was it? If I were you I'd look at comparable jackets and decide if you feel like it's worth it but I kinda like it from those pics.

Most similar quilted jackets will be polyester, nylon, etc. Polyester & acrylic are only mostly issues to me as a blend with wool in items like outwear, suits & sweaters or in shirts but more with cotton & lycra.

How much was it? If I were you I'd look at comparable jackets and decide if you feel like it's worth it but I kinda like it from those pics.

It was about 30USD.

Which I know is nothing, but I absolutely HATE buyers remorse with a passion. I prefer do something right the first time, buy it once, and be 100% happy with it.

I think I'll go back and pick it up later since as you say the fabric is common for quilted jackets. I just wasn't sure if that was the case.

It was about 30USD.

Which I know is nothing, but I absolutely HATE buyers remorse with a passion. I prefer do something right the first time, buy it once, and be 100% happy with it.

I think I'll go back and pick it up later since as you say the fabric is common for quilted jackets. I just wasn't sure if that was the case.

This reminded me that I had seen Nordstrom promoting quilted jackets. Look through these to compare:
Nordstrom

And ****....$30? Is that navy or black? I already have a navy quilted jacket or I'd buy that in a second for that cheap.

^^ Navy.

Took the pics in a rush with my phone.

Edit: WTH!! at those prices...

:lol: I'm going to head back in about an hour.

Last edited:
I'm no Gold Street Capital or anything. Might just be the name that rings a bell.
nerd.gif

I'm not too far from Scottsdale. Phoenix/Glendale/Sun City area.

Cost of living is incredibly low. A 1.75 bottle of Crown goes for $60+ in VA. $34.99 at Costco out here.

There are a lot of jobs and opportunities out here.

Toughest thing to adjust to out here is Sports/Football coming on at 10 am on Sundays.

Scottsdale is a very "ritzy" area from what I've been told. Mike Bibby plays at a gym in the area and a lot of people come here to get away.
Look at this alcoholic! Price checking bottles of Crown to assess the cost of living in AZ
roll.gif
Jk of course but yo I took my girl to Comet this past Thursday and thought about you bro. Hit me up next time you're back in the DMV.

It would be nice to experience living in a small town. I went to Cape Cod for vacation a few years back and liked the small harbor town atmosphere. They had a general store and a bunch of small shops. Went to a little restaurant for dinner but the prices were higher than I was expecting. With my luck i'd move to an area where i'm the only minority.

depends on what you're looking for in life.  there are a lot of variables that go into that decision.

for example, i'm a lawyer (currently underemployed) but largely because i've made the decision that i want to spend the next few years of my life in nyc near family and certain close friends.  a lot of things led up to the decision for me and it's more important than getting guap somewhere far away etc.

for you quality of life may be more important than stacking up.  i mean at the end of the day, you wont get those years back, no matter what anyone tells you.

then again a good friend of mine just moved from nyc to minnesota because she felt her job and the pace of life out here was killing her.

it may be a better job, but unless youre someone who lives his job 24/7 there are so many other things to consider, i.e. your happiness when you're off work.

I moved to NYC because the teacher pay is much higher in NYC than it is elsewhere in the country even in comparison to CA or LAUSD. Working in the charter school world my pay is even higher. I do believe in having both though, a balance of life and work. Maybe this over-share but right now I'm currently struggling with that, trying to find this balance with my wife. I'm at a place where I value life more than I value work, she values work more I feel than life. It should be interesting to say the least...

This is a grass is greener on the other side situation lol. While I don't live in a crazy small town Huntsville is a lot smaller than the places I've been applying to. At this point though if the job is right I'll take it no matter where. Well I shouldn't say that because there are plenty of places I don't want to live. I would like to get out of the area but every interview I've had has been in the southeast. I feel like a lot of places see that I'll have to relocate and just keep it moving, my resume is somewhat impressive for a college student.

Shuttlesworth helped get my resume in front of some people while he was in DC, haven't heard anything from them since the initial email though.

Wis, personally I don't see myself doing that at least not for several years since I'm still young. I've literally been a city kid my whole life:growing up, HS was suburbs but right outside the city, college in a city location, now I work right outside a major city :lol:. I like visiting rural places to get away from the fast pace and I'm weird though bc while I've lived in cities my whole life, I could NEVER live in NYC bc it's way too crowded for me haha.

I always visited my cousins in South Carolina and he has a huge house with his family but he kind of lives in the middle of nowhere...not to mention the amount of confederate flags I saw :lol:. There's positives and negatives you don't have all of the options as far as going out, special events coming to your area etc but the coat of living is waaaaay lower and in these times that appeals to so many people. An more relaxed nature, less crime, stuff like that

Hell my rent is double what my friend from school pays in Louisiana where he works, and his place is bigger than mine :/. Like I said maybe when I'm older but the most I'd probably do is live right outside a major city, not somewhere like Omaha haha. Though I've been to Kentucky to visit my friend at her house and it was pretty nice even she lived near Louisville though.

Are there any deals on the Daltons? I live in the UK and have a US APO address so preferably online.

I like the way this post has progressed. I remember getting desert boots to dress better years ago, I feel like I am growing up along with this thread.

J Crew Factory = CLUTCH

It depends. I've been between NYC and south Florida my whole life and cant see myself anywhere just simply based of the availability of resources. Professionally, I'm going to to stay in NYC because of the availability of resources.

I had a friend who moved from L.A. to Akron for a job and she said she had to drive like 30 mins to get to the nearest Walmart :lol:
At your age Wis it's about making good career decisions in pursuit of your goal in life. So making the decision to move to smaller town for a better opportunity, while your still young, is low risk IMO. It may be a hurdle you have to overcome in the early stages of your career to achieve even greater success. If you do choose the Midwest, I can't wait to see those layers lol

Wis stay in Cali.

You'll freeze to death damn near anywhere else out east.

Unless you become a Texas boi

@Wis I grew up in Milwaukee, have lived in Mississippi, Greensboro, Chicago, Kalamazoo, Cleveland and will be moving to Nigeria in January trust me bro a city is wha u make it. I wouldn't suggest moving to those smaller cities unless the money is great but if you just wanna try something new it won't kill you.

You mentioned exploring international opportuities I would probably go with that first.

How would you go about finding a job in another country? Just finding one in another city is hard enough

Wes I personally used my family connections over there to get in the door with a couple spots. I still don't got a 100% solid position but like ol boy who said he moved to AZ a couple weeks ago, I'm young single and I have a great support system so I'm not worried at all. Life is about taking risks. I'm only going to Nigeria for 6 months right but depending on where my networks take me I may be staying there for longer.

BTW I've never gotten a job just off my qualification (which by the way are legit), I usually just know someone who puts in the extra time or work to secure my position. Life is def all about who you know.

How would you go about finding a job in another country? Just finding one in another city is hard enough
Applying for corporate positions with presence in other countries on their websites. Oil is big up there. Shell, Exxon, etc. have a plethora of openings abroad. In some countries, they would even consider fresh out of school individuals (because due to low traffic of applicants I think).

Thanks for all the replies, dudes :lol:

Yeah, even though it's 2013 I know some parts of the U.S. can still be 'reserved' for a lack of better word. Not sure how they would react to an out of place Asian in pink chinos and purple silk shirt :rofl:

Applying for corporate positions with presence in other countries on their websites. Oil is big up there. Shell, Exxon, etc. have a plethora of openings abroad. In some countries, they would even consider fresh out of school individuals (because due to low traffic of applicants I think).

Thanks for all the replies, dudes :lol:

Yeah, even though it's 2013 I know some parts of the U.S. can still be 'reserved' for a lack of better word. Not sure how they would react to an out of place Asian in pink chinos and purple silk shirt :rofl:
Swag Swag doe :pimp:

Wes I personally used my family connections over there to get in the door with a couple spots. I still don't got a 100% solid position but like ol boy who said he moved to AZ a couple weeks ago, I'm young single and I have a great support system so I'm not worried at all. Life is about taking risks. I'm only going to Nigeria for 6 months right but depending on where my networks take me I may be staying there for longer.

BTW I've never gotten a job just off my qualification (which by the way are legit), I usually just know someone who puts in the extra time or work to secure my position. Life is def all about who you know.
Yeah, man. You nailed it. Networking is so essential in life. We were just talking about this on the DBNT FB Group. It takes a lot of time for these jobs to become available to the public. Requisitions gotta be put in, apps gotta be screened. If you know someone, you can bypass this easily.

I always have the thought of "who you know helps open the door, and how you do the job determines if the door remains open or not".

Hell my rent is double what my friend from school pays in Louisiana where he works, and his place is bigger than mine :/. Like I said maybe when I'm older but the most I'd probably do is live right outside a major city, not somewhere like Omaha haha. Though I've been to Kentucky to visit my friend at her house and it was pretty nice even she lived near Louisville though.
At your age Wis it's about making good career decisions in pursuit of your goal in life. So making the decision to move to smaller town for a better opportunity, while your still young, is low risk IMO. It may be a hurdle you have to overcome in the early stages of your career to achieve even greater success. If you do choose the Midwest, I can't wait to see those layers lol
I agree with both. I have been lucky enough to live in different parts of the country. I lived in San Jose until I was 18 went to undergrad in Denver went to grad school in St. Louis and now I live in New Haven CT because I work at Yale. I think moving around is the best way to grow individually. You learn a lot about yourself and get to meet a lot of people. Plus if you dont like it you can always go back home. With that said I feel it is best to live near a big city for the resources and networking opportunities. I have lived in large cities up until now but living on the east coast everything is so close i have a lot of cities at my fingertips. No matter what you do network where ever you go this is the key.

Well if you guys ever hear about any openings in the Information Technology/Security field then let me know. If you want send me a PM and I can email you my resume too. I'm extremely mobile, started looking at LA postings yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom