Dressing Better Vol 2.0

So looking for some new pants.

A brand new of pair Levi's 501 (STF) is a good fit for me, except I find that leg opening to be a little big.

Now, I did hear the Levi's updated the 501 a little with a slimmer leg opening, is that true?

Was looking at these http://www.zappos.com/levis-mens-chino-pant-harvest-gold-twill too ..

Dude Levis is sketch as hell with their sizing. I have experienced the same cut having different sizing. Like seriously, I have bought 3 pairs of 510s and they all have different measurements! one of them has a 6.5 leg opening, one has a 6.75 and the other has a 7inch. It is insane. You literally have to go in the store and try em on, unless you are willing to order a few different pairs and experiment. Slight variations for sure. It is really irritating.

^^ Use 0901 first then 8964, gives you half off the highest priced item.

Last edited:
have any of you guys tried the athletic gear from h&m? they have a bunch of winter base layers and running stuff that looks ok online

I have some of their basic tees, and jogger pants that I use for working out. Jogger pants are like 25 and the tees are 4-5 dollars, with a decent cut, and they have some length on em, so its good for working out. I recommend!

A brand new of pair Levi's 501 (STF) is a good fit for me, except I find that leg opening to be a little big.

Now, I did hear the Levi's updated the 501 a little with a slimmer leg opening, is that true?

Was looking at these http://www.zappos.com/levis-mens-chino-pant-harvest-gold-twill too ..

Dude Levis is sketch as hell with their sizing. I have experienced the same cut having different sizing. Like seriously, I have bought 3 pairs of 510s and they all have different measurements! one of them has a 6.5 leg opening, one has a 6.75 and the other has a 7inch. It is insane. You literally have to go in the store and try em on, unless you are willing to order a few different pairs and experiment. Slight variations for sure. It is really irritating.
I notice that myself. Sometimes the difference is quite drastic.

This cracks me up!
Yet to buy an expensive belt immediately followed by the fact that you bought an $80 belt.
I'm not counting your money or telling you how to spend it but I think a lot of people would agree that $80 is an expensive belt.
I see where you are coming from man.

From my perspective, I couldn't spend that much on a belt. For the following reasons:

-I justify spending a lot of $$$ for high quality products. While I don't doubt there are high quality leather belts, but really, how much does a belt really depreciate?

-Spending $$$ on high quality jeans. Yes I'd do that. Spending $$$$ on high quality shoes. Sure why not. The key thing for me is that jeans and shoes are items that get WORN. They stretch, bend, pull, get dirty, need attention and care to preserve quality over a long time. You get what you pay for. Buy a higher quality jean or shoe, you are going to get a more functional product that will last longer.

-Now a belt? Belts don't do anything but hold your pants up. They don't get beat up where quality will have a distinct experience over the other. A dockers belt will do just as good a job as an LV belt from a functional perspective. They will both last the whole time. 

-Spending big money on a belt, IMO, is brand flossing. It's purely aesthetic. 

That is simply not true. I've been through a bunch of cheap reversible belts from TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, etc... and none of them last long. Belts are actually put through a lot of pressure. Yes you wear them to keep your pants up but when you move, especially when you sit down, it stretches a lot and puts plenty of force on the belt. This is also why it becomes mishapen after a few wears. Trust me, I've had countless belts rip on me since I actually use them to keep my pants up.

Another point is how it looks, those cheap Dockers or Kenneth Cole leather belts simply looks like plastic, it is made of the cheapest "genuine" leather they could find.

Now, at some point there are some diminishing returns, there is a point where you are paying for the name & look and not the quality anymore. This varies by person, to a person making $100k annually, a $100 belt that will lasts few years is a good investment, to a college student or to those who simply do not view it a good purchase, then it simply isn't. It is the same way people outside of NT thinks we are crazy for having more than 10 pairs of shoes at a time or any car getting you from point A to point B, it is all preference.

It doesn't need to be "brand flossing" either, others just like the quality of some things, believe it or not but there are some artisinal aspect to some belts out there. Some well made belts has no branding at all, they are simply made well. Again, same reason some buy Nikes that cost $100+ when chucks at $40 will do.

Now when it comes to LV, Gucci, Ferragamo, etc... these are luxury brands, they are not meant to be reasonable purchases because it simply isn't. It is meant to be an excess to a lifestyle, a want not a need.

How much it depreciates shouldn't really matter, yes Nikes and Jordans have good resale but that is if you barely wear it or baby it. Jeans, no way I would pay any amount for 2 years unwashed pair. :lol: There are very few items out there that doesn't depreciate much, cars has the biggest depreciation once driven off the lot yet millions are sold every year.

At the end of the day, it depends on what a person likes and wants. Some people are into clothes, some people are into cars, some are into electronics, some are into housing, etc...

That is simply not true. I've been through a bunch of cheap reversible belts from TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, etc... and none of them last long. Belts are actually put through a lot of pressure. Yes you wear them to keep your pants up but when you move, especially when you sit down, it stretches a lot and puts plenty of force on the belt. This is also why it becomes mishapen after a few wears. Trust me, I've had countless belts rip on me since I actually use them to keep my pants up.

Another point is how it looks, those cheap Dockers or Kenneth Cole leather belts simply looks like plastic, it is made of the cheapest "genuine" leather they could find.

Now, at some point there are some diminishing returns, there is a point where you are paying for the name & look and not the quality anymore. This varies by person, to a person making $100k annually, a $100 belt that will lasts few years is a good investment, to a college student or to those who simply do not view it a good purchase, then it simply isn't. It is the same way people outside of NT thinks we are crazy for having more than 10 pairs of shoes at a time or any car getting you from point A to point B, it is all preference.

It doesn't need to be "brand flossing" either, others just like the quality of some things, believe it or not but there are some artisinal aspect to some belts out there. Some well made belts has no branding at all, they are simply made well. Again, same reason some buy Nikes that cost $100+ when chucks at $40 will do.

Now when it comes to LV, Gucci, Ferragamo, etc... these are luxury brands, they are not meant to be reasonable purchases because it simply isn't. It is meant to be an excess to a lifestyle, a want not a need.

How much it depreciates shouldn't really matter, yes Nikes and Jordans have good resale but that is if you barely wear it or baby it. Jeans, no way I would pay any amount for 2 years unwashed pair.
laugh.gif
There are very few items out there that doesn't depreciate much, cars has the biggest depreciation once driven off the lot yet millions are sold every year.

At the end of the day, it depends on what a person likes and wants. Some people are into clothes, some people are into cars, some are into electronics, some are into housing, etc...
Just speaking from my experience,

I've had the same all purpose black belt for the past 12 years. It functions just as well as it did 12 years ago. I bought it from the Gap for $40. Yea I know it's gap, a mall brand, blah blah, but it's 100% genuine leather and pretty good quality. The buckle is metal. Hard to mess that up. 

I've had the same all purpose brown belt from J. Crew for the past 6 years. Works just as as good as new. I bought it for $45. 

I don't see any of the above belts breaking down anytime soon. Belts are pretty simple accessories. Wrap it around your waist and fasten it. Plus, if you wear your pants properly, it sits at your lower torso, so it really doesn't stress or strain at all. Now if you are that dude that sags your pants with your pants hanging off your butt then yea when you bend and crouch your belt will stretch. But if you're like me and wear it properly the belt barely stretches. 

I'm also a pretty skinny dude so maybe that contributes. 

I dunno, maybe I've been lucky? But to invest $40 in something and wear it for over a decade, says a lot to me. 

Last edited:
No one wears their jeans properly though. :lol: Everyone sags at least a little but even if you don't sag if it actually holds your belt up it should still stretch when you sit down. The onyl way it won't stretch is if it is there just for aesthetic purposes and not meant to keep your jeans/pants up.

Quick pic of my my most worn belt, probably the best made belt I own? Worn 4-5 days a week for 4-5 years now? It can last me another 5 years but you can see that there are some wear and tear on it. All belts I've purchased that have been cheaper than $40-$50 simply ripped and or the holes got really worn and misshapen.
25008qh.jpg
28mjwpd.jpg

I didn't think much about belts until the gf gave me a wonderful Coach belt that hasn't shown any signs of wear or tear and simply looks a lot better than the usual cheap belts I wear.

Levi's has always been fine in my book. The only pants I ever buy from them are STF's tho.

I'll keep looking around.

Besides Levi's, any other brands to look for? I'm not really trying to spend more than $50 to be honest.

I've heard good things about the Dockers Alpha. Anyone chime in on those?

Has anyone seen all 24 pieces to the Jay Z x Barneys collaboration? They are a few pieces pictured in the new GQ and few more on the Barneys website but I haven't seen all of it....

I didn't think much about belts until the gf gave me a wonderful Coach belt that hasn't shown any signs of wear or tear and simply looks a lot better than the usual cheap belts I wear.

One of my Coach belts that I have is probably one of my best belts that I have. The leather is soft yet sturdy and it usually is my everyday belt. I think I paid $30-40 not exactly sure. However, I have bought belts from even some of the street vendors in NYC for $5-7 (back before I was doing the dressing better thing), plain black or brown and they've still held up well same with a reversible one I bought from Kohl's about a year ago.

I think when we start getting into the luxury designers with the GG or LV on the buckles and monogram all over the belt, as well as Ferregamos awful logo that I see too often on business men in the city that that is when you begin to pay for the brand. It's at this point that you are screaming "look at my Gucci belt" or "look at my Louis belt" when at least to me all it says is "look this is all I can afford from Gucci or Louis." It doesn't mean that these brands don't make high quality leather belts but the monogrammed belts with the logo buckle just scream look at me. Last time I went to the Gucci outlet they had some really nice leather dress belts, no branding or anything for about $65-70, which is not a bad price for a quality belt IMO.

One of my Coach belts that I have is probably one of my best belts that I have. The leather is soft yet sturdy and it usually is my everyday belt. I think I paid $30-40 not exactly sure. However, I have bought belts from even some of the street vendors in NYC for $5-7 (back before I was doing the dressing better thing), plain black or brown and they've still held up well same with a reversible one I bought from Kohl's about a year ago.

I think when we start getting into the luxury designers with the GG or LV on the buckles and monogram all over the belt, as well as Ferregamos awful logo that I see too often on business men in the city that that is when you begin to pay for the brand. It's at this point that you are screaming "look at my Gucci belt" or "look at my Louis belt" when at least to me all it says is "look this is all I can afford from Gucci or Louis." It doesn't mean that these brands don't make high quality leather belts but the monogrammed belts with the logo buckle just scream look at me. Last time I went to the Gucci outlet they had some really nice leather dress belts, no branding or anything for about $65-70, which is not a bad price for a quality belt IMO.
I have a Gucci belt with a gold G buckle and the leather is far beyond anything I've ever had tbh. Very clear difference.

It was somewhere around $300 if I recall correctly so the "it's all I can afford from Gucci" doesn't make much sense either. If I can afford a $300 belt I'm sure I can afford some of their other stuff as well.

Besides the belt is usually covered up so it's hardly that much of a "look at me" thing.

Last edited:
I have a Gucci belt with a gold G buckle and the leather is far beyond anything I've ever had tbh. Very clear difference.
It was somewhere around $300 if I recall correctly so the "it's all I can afford from Gucci" doesn't make much sense either. If I can afford a $300 belt I'm sure I can afford some of their other stuff as well.
Besides the belt is usually covered up so it's hardly that much of a "look at me" thing.

Living in Inglewood and Washington Heights for a period of time and teaching in the Bronx, seeing these belts left and right that's what it screams to me at least. Not saying it's the same for everyone but it does scream hood rich to me when I see that. It doesn't help that 90% of the time that I've seen it worn it is being worn with the buckle popping out. Just my 2 cents.

I have a burberry belt that i got as a gift 5 years ago and it has held up well. I also have a target belt that i got 3 years ago...that has held up fine...and it was $25.

Most of my pants fit in the waist so when i wear a belt there really isn't too much strain on it. Even when i sit most of my pants ride up and my belt sags. So maybe that is why i haven't had any durability issues with my belts. But i don't think i will ever buy a designer belt since most belts function the exact same for me

Man what are we talkin about up in here. We talkin about belts?! Not the bespoke, not the MTM suits, not the finest ties... but belts?! What the hell we talkin bout here man. We talkin about belts. Belts?! Belts. Not the clean luxury watches or the the shell cordovans that I'd die for, but belts. ....man how the hell ima improve my look w/ expensive *** belts.

lulz

Man what are we talkin about up in here. We talkin about belts?! Not the bespoke, not the MTM suits, not the finest ties... but belts?! What the hell we talkin bout here man. We talkin about belts. Belts?! Belts. Not the clean luxury watches or the the shell cordovans that I'd die for, but belts. ....man how the hell ima improve my look w/ expensive *** belts.

lulz
AI lurking.

I don't have any of those LV/Gucci/etc belts. If I do, I'd still wear them with menswear though. Sadly when I see them being worn, most of the time it's usually with kids sagging their pants halfway down to ensure the buckle is shown.

I have that Ebony Damier belt I bought about 3 years ago. Still love it. Low key I think Ksteezy was the guy that originally sold me on it because I caught his engagment pix on here when he had on the Elans (sp?)....

Def great belt. Has held up over time and I know I could always resell it if I needed... I have a Graphite Damier Card holder that I use as my everyday wallet. Been using that for around 2 years now and has held up great over time. Dudes are sleeping if they think all leather is the same.

yea half the dudes in da heightz and soho wear their LV/Gucci/whatever belt with pants sagging a lot so you can see the print/buckle

The LV belts are leather? i thought their monogram stuff was canvas...what do i know tho i dont own any, just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom